India's First Manned Space Mission

bhramos

Country flag
IAF to select crew for India's 1st manned mission to space

NEW DELHI: Joining the project for country's first indigenous manned mission to space, Indian Air Force (IAF) has signed an MoU with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and is now planning to set up facilities for selecting the crew for the maiden flight.

Director General of Army Medical Corps ( AMC) Lieutenant General H L Kakria while replying to a query on participation of defence forces in country's first space mission said IAF is setting up facilities for the first round of selection process which will begin by 2020.

"IAF has entered into an MoU with the ISRO for long term space research. ISRO has supplied it with lot of equipments and the provisional time for first selection is 2020 and the original thing is likely to take place much later," Kakria told reporters here.

"ISRO has supplied IAF with equipments worth Rs 20 crore and it is in the process of setting up facility for selecting the persons who will participate in the mission," he said.

Maintaining that the mission would be completely indigenous, Kakria said all equipment required for the project would be supplied by ISRO and there is no collaboration with any foreign company or country.

India in 2010 had announced its plans to carry out first manned mission to space and decided to set up a full-fledged training facility for astronauts in Bangalore.

Besides the astronauts and the training facilities, the space vehicle in which the mission would be launched would be developed in the country.

In 1984, Rakesh Sharma became the first Indian citizen to go into space, flying aboard a Soviet mission and country's first unmanned Moon mission, Chandrayaan-I, was launched in 2009.

IAF to select crew for India's 1st manned mission to space - The Economic Times

plugwater

2020 ? Too late IMHO.

In 2013 we will have GSLV MK-3 ready, so why the eff its taking seven years to even select the astronauts.

We have started to develop an orbital vehicle with 3-4 men capacity, easily we can make a manned mission around 2016-17.

My dream is ISRO should send a female astronaut also in its first mission.

Tianshan

2020 ? Too late IMHO.

In 2013 we will have GSLV MK-3 ready, so why the eff its taking seven years to even select the astronauts.
how long will it take, after the astronaut are first selected?

Bhartiya

Tihar Jail
Banned
I think the article is misleading, the first manned flight will be higher orbit of earth for about a week or so, even before that animals will be sent to check if everything would work according to plan.. So it would work like this:
1. Animals sent into the higher orbit 2013 to 2015
2. Manned mission to higher orbit 2017 to 2019
3. Manned moon landing 2020 to 2025

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Must train.

There is nothing better than training!

pmaitra

We need to build a Star City in India first. How long will it take to build that? Then we can think of sending an astronaut!

Bhartiya

Tihar Jail
Banned
We need to build a Star City in India first. How long will it take to build that? Then we can think of sending an astronaut!
They are already doing that, at least get some info before commenting like that....also, star city doesn't has to do with astronauts, haters will hate :taunt:

pmaitra

They are already doing that, at least get some info before commenting like that....also, star city doesn't has to do with astronauts, haters will hate :taunt:
Could you control your fingers before going off like a loose cannon? Did you see the first post? All I saw was talk about plans. Where have they started setting up the facilities? Let me know.

Besides, who said Star City has nothing to do with astronauts? Why don't you see the link first instead of making stupid comments?

Bhartiya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Could you control your fingers before going off like a loose cannon? Did you see the first post? All I saw was talk about plans. Where have they started setting up the facilities? Let me know.

Besides, who said Star City has nothing to do with astronauts? Why don't you see the link first instead of making stupid comments?
This is an idiotic article, work on the facility has already begun in bengaluru, so its u not me thats making stupid comments, sitting in USA wont help much in understanding anything

Bhartiya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Banglore's INSTITUTE OF AEROSPACE MEDICINE INSTITUTION ADMINISTRATION IAM is the place currently being used to train and select our vyomanaut. only 4 out of 200 IAF pilots will be selected. A centrifuge system was inaugrated in 2009 and i fully operational.

Here is a small piece of info from wiki :
Indian human spaceflight program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ISRO has already announced the setting up of an astronaut training centre in Bangalore. It has now said that a batch of 200 would be initially selected before four are finally shortlisted, of these two would go on the mission.

pmaitra

This is an idiotic article, work on the facility has already begun in bengaluru, so its u not me thats making stupid comments, sitting in USA wont help much in understanding anything
Sitting in USA actually gives me a better understanding of what is happening in Institute of Aerospace Medicine that you.

I would recommend that you read this book to get a better understanding of what kind of facility is required for training astronauts. FYI, I have read that book:

The best that IAM has is a centrifuge training centre. Also, they are working on a astronaut selection facility, not a training facility. A training facility is much larger and more complicated. It will take a long time for them to build anything even remotely close to Star City. Just compare IAM and Star City facilities before you argue any further.

Last edited:

Bhartiya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Sitting in USA actually gives me a better understanding of what is happening in Institute of Aerospace Medicine that you.

I would recommend that you read this book to get a better understanding of what kind of facility is required for training astronauts. FYI, I have read that book:

The best that IAM has is a centrifuge training centre. Also, they are working on a astronaut selection facility, not a training facility. A training facility is much larger and more complicated. It will take a long time for them to build anything even remotely close to Star City. Just compare IAM and Star City facilities before you argue any further.
that's what I am trying to say , it's just the beginning the space program of soviets, especially the manned ones are at least 50 years old, we have just begun everything of course, I am not comparing those , also, there is no golden rule to necessarily build this entire thing to train astronauts, also vyomanauts will be in space for only a week or so, mostly two weeks , for that, u don't need star city...

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
IAF developing parameters for India's manned space mission

Tests for sending India's first manned mission into space are in "advanced" stages with the Indian Air Force (IAF) developing necessary parameters for selection of suitable candidates.

The tests will need another year to get fully validated and the selection process of the people for the manned mission will begin after that, Director General Medical Services (Air), Air Marshal Anil Behl told PTI here today.

"There is a proper project. It is in the Institute of Aerospace Medicines, Bangalore, where we are doing all kinds of tests on how to put a man in the space," he said on the sidelines of a press conference.

Noting that the tests are already on, Behl said, "We started this project (to validate the tests) almost two years ago. It will take another one year more to be fully validated."

Asked to comment on the stage of the project, he said, "It is in the advanced stage."

"In any project the first stage is conceptualisation, then procurement of infrastructure and training of people. We have gone upto training of people," he said.

"Testing of the people who will be going into space will start after full validation, which has not started yet," he said.

IAF has been entrusted with the task of developing the tests and validating them by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). The premier defence agency is also funding the entire program.

Asked when the selection process of the astronauts will begin, Behl said, "We are awaiting the government's signal."

He also said that the government has yet not decided on the number of people who will be selected for the mission.

Behl also noted that people selected for the mission could be from any branch of the armed forces, but a pilot will be preferred because of his familiarity with aviation and other necessary parameters.

IAF developing parameters for India's manned space mission - The Economic Times

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Re: IAF developing parameters for India's manned space mission

we heard this one about 2 yrs ago - that the iaf and some other org were challenging each other for the right to select and now 2 yrs later are we hearing more or less the same thing ? is this inaccurate or incomplete reporting ?

Last edited:

The Fox

View this Through the Quata Bill
1 Seat for general category
2 Seat for Backward category
3 Seat for Most Backward category
4 Seat for Minority (if the mission happens during congress in power or muliam sing yadav is the PM ) and
7 SC/ST

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

View this Through the Quata Bill
1 Seat for general category
2 Seat for Backward category
3 Seat for Most Backward category
4 Seat for Minority (if the mission happens during congress in power or muliam sing yadav is the PM ) and
7 SC/ST
and if the return rockets fail and the return flight can be done ? then all those backward are left on the moon ?

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

and if the return rockets fail and the return flight can be done ? then all those backward are left on the moon ?

whoops ! correction :- and the return flight can't be done ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles