India's first line of defence - RAW

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I wonder what is RAW's position on China? Remember they have the MSS that's RAW-equivalent. What do we have in China? HUMINT in Pakistan is easy since most Indians and Pakistanis speak similar languages and look about the same.

I am curious to see and wonder how RAW operates in China. Other countries are relatively more open where our spies can pretend to be students, tourists, businessmen, embassy officials, etc. but the CCP has eyes even in people's houses there, let alone their spy agency that must be having the same level of surveillance as NSA and CIA have over Americans behind the veil of democracy.

Any ideas on RAW's engagements against China?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Once we discover them, why can't we use them for disinfo?
I think our spy apparatus has still to recover from the mess that the IK Gujral government created in the late 90s. That man single-handedly did a Gorbachev on our entire spy apparatus in Pakistan, dismantled RAW and pulled back. I wonder why he wasn't charged for treason by any of the later governments and punished.

avknight1408

Country flag
I wonder what is RAW's position on China? Remember they have the MSS that's RAW-equivalent. What do we have in China? HUMINT in Pakistan is easy since most Indians and Pakistanis speak similar languages and look about the same.

I am curious to see and wonder how RAW operates in China. Other countries are relatively more open where our spies can pretend to be students, tourists, businessmen, embassy officials, etc. but the CCP has eyes even in people's houses there, let alone their spy agency that must be having the same level of surveillance as NSA and CIA have over Americans behind the veil of democracy.

I'm too curious about RAW's ops inside china. Quite possibly one of the most difficult country to operate. Or I wonder whether RAW's ops are restricted to Tibet.

Few years ago I came across this India Today article published in 1993 which says RAW uses smugglers to do spying in Tibet.

Source - People smuggle in goods under guise of spying at Ladakh-Tibet border

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I'm too curious about RAW's ops inside china. Quite possibly one of the most difficult country to operate. Or I wonder whether RAW's ops are restricted to Tibet.

Few years ago I came across this India Today article published in 1993 which says RAW uses smugglers to do spying in Tibet.

Source - People smuggle in goods under the guise of spying at Ladakh-Tibet border
Spying in a deep state like China would be really difficult for any nation. Unless of course, RAW and CIA use disgruntled Chinese citizens. That too is limited since the CCP has the facial scans of every single citizen of theirs through the Social Credit System. Their cameras will get to identify anyone in any part of the country at any time - very Orwellian.

Spying in Occupied Tibet would be a tad bit easier due to the remoteness. Though I wonder if RAW is doing anything to arm the Tibetans at all. Most of them there have just given up on their dreams of independence. The CCP has gone to extreme lengths to monitor every single citizen & subject in both Turkestan and Tibet.

indiatester

Country flag
Spying in a deep state like China would be really difficult for any nation. Unless of course, RAW and CIA use disgruntled Chinese citizens. That too is limited since the CCP has the facial scans of every single citizen of theirs through the Social Credit System. Their cameras will get to identify anyone in any part of the country at any time - very Orwellian.

Spying in Occupied Tibet would be a tad bit easier due to the remoteness. Though I wonder if RAW is doing anything to arm the Tibetans at all. Most of them there have just given up on their dreams of independence. The CCP has gone to extreme lengths to monitor every single citizen & subject in both Turkestan and Tibet.
Most powers have not yet exercised in the disgruntled in China.
The investment in terms of providing them safety and sanctuary in western worlds etc has already happened with deep connections inside China.
When needed, it will be used.

thefewthefearless

Country flag

Source - People smuggle in goods under guise of spying at Ladakh-Tibet border
very difficult. in the 60's we had a network of locals.

not possible. tibet is now full of chinese informers. even american/ russians haven't found any way in side china except honeytrapping diplomats, cyber attack, double agents.

avknight1408

Country flag
very difficult. in the 60's we had a network of locals.

not possible. tibet is now full of chinese informers. even american/ russians haven't found any way in side china except honeytrapping diplomats, cyber attack, double agents.
China spends more on Internal security than on defence.
CIA had built a network of informants inside china. Mostly recruiting them when they visit abroad. But then China's intel agencies busted them. Spies were dealt with ruthlessly. Many disappeared. Some were executed.

NYT - Killing C.I.A. Informants, China Crippled U.S. Spying Operations

avknight1408

Country flag
Govt amends rules to allow 2 year extension in tenure of RAW & IB chiefs after completion of their fixed 2 yr term.

Current govt prefers longer terms for RAW & IB chiefs. Previous intel chiefs got extension. Current chiefs are already on a one year extension.

nixin

@TheLegateIN Tweeted :
Report: 50 officers of R&AW's operational intelligence unit, are being transferred or shunted out or are facing departmental action for an alleged information leak.

SUPERPOWER

Country flag

@TheLegateIN Tweeted :
Report: 50 officers of R&AW's operational intelligence unit, are being transferred or shunted out or are facing departmental action for an alleged information leak.
Saala benchod bahar zaada to andar bhare hue hai...kal ek soldier ladki ki chut ke pic ke liye missile test ke photo share kar diya isi ko...

Such people are bigger threat to India than.China and Pakistan.

Poseidon

Country flag

@TheLegateIN Tweeted :
Dayumn :yawn:

Srinivas_K

Country flag

India takes help from other friendly countries.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles