India's Current & Future UAVs & UCAVs

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Ruav......................................

Enquirer

DRDO should work on making all Mig21s in autonomous UCAVs!!!

If it can fly humans now....it means it's 10 times more reliable in unmanned config.

Simple solution would involve:
- Fix a panel (in front of analog gauges) with tiny cameras & LEDs.
- Computer image processing can be employed to convert analog gauge data into digital readings.
- The mechanical stick/levers can be automated/robotized.
- Datalinks already proven in Rustom/Tapas could be put in Autonomous Mig21 for flight control.
- Mostly Mig21 UCAV could fly in pre-programmed flight pattern. Manual control might have some lag, but it won't matter too much as Mig21 UCAVs don't need to perform sharp acrobatics....but mostly fly in level-flight.

This way IAF can put 100s of Mig21s, 1000s of R77s and 1000s of R73s into use for another 10-15 years.

Current pilots need to keep training on Mig21s to hone their skills.....thus rapidly reducing the life of aircraft. Autonomous Mig21s don't need to be put into that much use, as drone pilots will 'mostly' train on simulators.
The system could be developed in about 1-2 years timeframe!

Mig21 UCAVs could be used in ground attack, deep surgical airstrike or CAP roles!

neeraj_

DRDO should work on making all Mig21s in autonomous UCAVs!!!

If it can fly humans now....it means it's 10 times more reliable in unmanned config.

Simple solution would involve:
- Fix a panel (in front of analog gauges) with tiny cameras & LEDs.
- Computer image processing can be employed to convert analog gauge data into digital readings.
- The mechanical stick/levers can be automated/robotized.
- Datalinks already proven in Rustom/Tapas could be put in Autonomous Mig21 for flight control.
- Mostly Mig21 UCAV could fly in pre-programmed flight pattern. Manual control might have some lag, but it won't matter too much as Mig21 UCAVs don't need to perform sharp acrobatics....but mostly fly in level-flight.

This way IAF can put 100s of Mig21s, 1000s of R77s and 1000s of R73s into use for another 10-15 years.

Current pilots need to keep training on Mig21s to hone their skills.....thus rapidly reducing the life of aircraft. Autonomous Mig21s don't need to be put into that much use, as drone pilots will 'mostly' train on simulators.
The system could be developed in about 1-2 years timeframe!

Mig21 UCAVs could be used in ground attack, deep surgical airstrike or CAP roles!
Only if it is that easy as you made it sound brother.

Though Tejas may be turned into UCAV in future There were talks of it with Israeli help still it is just smoke but we may try to do so once Tejas line stabilises.

Enquirer

Only if it is that easy as you made it sound brother.

Though Tejas may be turned into UCAV in future There were talks of it with Israeli help still it is just smoke but we may try to do so once Tejas line stabilises.
Most of the required components are available. They'll just need to develop the software specific to making Mig21 autonomous! The great thing is India can afford to lose some in tests/wars........

neeraj_

Most of the required components are available. They'll just need to develop the software specific to making Mig21 autonomous! The great thing is India can afford to lose some in tests/wars........
I understand your excitement bro

But I remember in 2008 around same smoke was around that with Israel we will do this with mig 21 but nothing happened as of now we will be making our old helos as UCAV first with Israel.

I am looking out for Rustom in good numbers first it will lower the cost of operation and bring down the import that must be our priority and AURA .

Mig 21 i doubt

Tejas as UCAV even if It happens may be by near end of next decade .

DRDO lakshya and it's evolution will be the key . Any news how it's progressing?

Last edited:

Enquirer

I understand your excitement bro

But I remember in 2008 around same smoke was around that with Israel we will do this with mig 21 but nothing happened as of now we will be making our old helos as UCAV first with Israel.

I am looking out for Rustom in good numbers first it will lower the cost of operation and bring down the import that must be our priority and AURA .

Mig 21 i doubt

Tejas as UCAV even if It happens may be by near end of next decade .

DRDO lakshya and it's evolution will be the key . Any news how it's progressing?
There's newer version of Lakshya; but these are only 'target drones' - no surveillance or combat drones.

Rustom too will be a slow moving surveillance drone; they might try to weaponize it later....it'll still be a lumbering drone.

Mig21 on the other hand (despite how archaic its functional parts are) could be a really good (supersonic) unmanned combat aircraft!

If age old BMPs can be turned into autonomous Muntra, then Mig21s too can be converted into autonomous UCAVs....

That said, I do know that MoD & DRDO don't generally work on such 'optimal' solutions!

pc982449

What is current situation of aura drone

Sent from my Alfa L using Tapatalk

bhramos

Country flag
The dawn of the #Robotic Wingman! Daddy Sukhoi with the 'Hunter' baby.The #Russians are productizing the Manned Unmanned Teaming (#MUT), a must for command of skies in contested airspace of tomorrow!!! Sincerely hope

WolfPack86

Country flag
This is the cutting edge of weapons technology at this moment and instead of waiting in the background and looking for imports later down the line India is as the very front of this development with its own project. The fruits of decades of hard work are soon to be realised

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

What does this mean...........

We have a project.............

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles