India's Biological Warfare counter capability

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I have a detailed submission to make on this topic but my laptop has gone crook and I am now reduced to iPad.

It pertains to my interaction with senior scientist from OPCEW Dr Boswell during a Skype Q&A.

Chemical, Biological or Nuclear warfare, all strong nation work hard to maintain deterrence.

You will be surprised, Under the OPCW charter all signatory states keep huge amounts of prohibited chemical weapons which can cause mass destruction and crippling effect on populations. The chemicals though are permissible for research, antidote, etc., purposes but the amount that nations are allowed to store are in tons.

Like nuclear forensics, chemical and biological forensic can trace the source of any noxious matter. However the process may not be as fast and discerning like in case of nuclear attack.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Only now did I note the thread topic which I believe is factually wrong.

There can never be a nation wide biological warfare counter capability.

Impossible.

Only counter is threat of mutual annihilation MAD by nukes / own BWA , if our SFC manages to survive in the first place , forget about the population. It will be wiped out depending on the virulence and spread of the vector . If the vectors are delivered at multiple locations across the country at nearly the same time , almost everybody will be dead even before we realise what is happening.

Bois gurls time to start building containment bunkers and stocking up on bio hazmat suits

Last edited:

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz

Impossible.
I mean my definetion of warfare consist of both defence and offence and so was my intention regarding this thread.

We are gonna build both weapon grade viruses and vaccine capability for ourselves in the future.

porky_kicker

Country flag
I mean my definetion of warfare consist of both defence and offence and so was my intention regarding this thread.

We are gonna build both weapon grade viruses and vaccine capability for ourselves in the future.
From POV of defence

Vaccine can be developed only for known / suspected agents based on naturally occurring agents.

If it is a new or modified bioengineered agent then option of making vaccine is out of question since you don't have access to the new engineered virus ( available only after the enemy deploys it ) against whom you want to create the vaccine

So best defence lies in deterrence through MAD ( mutual assured destruction ) via nukes or BW agents.

Plus population must be encouraged to build private containment bunkers and store bio hazard suits etc . ie prepare for any possible doomsday scenario. ( Best feasible option in terms of defensive measure IMO ) educate and train the population

Last edited:

Craigs

Country flag

Impossible.

Only counter is threat of mutual annihilation MAD by nukes / own BWA , if our SFC manages to survive in the first place , forget about the population. It will be wiped out depending on the virulence and spread of the vector . If the vectors are delivered at multiple locations across the country at nearly the same time , almost everybody will be dead even before we realise what is happening.

Bois gurls time to start building containment bunkers and stocking up on bio hazmat suits
Stock up on IV Vitamins, Quinine, Penicillin and Iodine. Probably hepa filters and UV lamps too. Electrostatic air filters (including masks) work too.

AMCA

Country flag
Govt exhorts DRDO to revive work on biological defence initiative

Biological Warfare Convention 1975 prohibits offensive bioweapons, but allows antidote development
By Ajai Shukla
Business Standard, 12 May 20

Niti Aayog member and former Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) chief VK Saraswat said on Monday that the DRDO must “revive work on a bio(logical)-defence programme.”
Speaking at a videoconference on National Technology Day, Saraswat called on the DRDO to provide “more focus” on its six laboratories that work on life sciences.
While Saraswat did not directly suggest the Covid-19 pandemic was related to biological warfare, it is significant that the government is exhorting military laboratories to work concertedly on biological defence.
India is one of the 183 signatories to the Biological Weapons Convention of 1975 (BWC), which bans the possession of “biological agents and toxins” except for “prophylactic, protective or other peaceful purposes.” While banning the development or possession of offensive biological weapons, the BWC permits member countries to develop defensive biological means.
The DRDO operates six laboratories under its “life sciences cluster.” These include Defence Bioengineering and Electro-medical Laboratory, Bengaluru (DEBEL), Defence Institute of Bio-Energy Research, Haldwani (DIBER), Defence Food Research Laboratory, Mysore (DFRL), Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences, Delhi (DIPAS), Defence Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR) and Defence Institute of Psychological Research, Delhi (DIPR).
Speaking on the occasion, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh congratulated the DRDO for “tackling the challenges posed by COVID-19 using state-of-the-art technology.”
“DRDO has developed more than 50 products in the last three-four months, like bio suit, sanitizer-dispenser, PPE (personal protection equipment) kits,” he said.
On Sunday, the DRDO announced the development of an “automated contactless UVC sanitisation cabinet, called the Defence Research Ultraviolet Sanitiser (DRUVS),” which sanitises mobile phones, iPads, laptops, currency notes, cheque leafs, challans, passbooks and papers without physical contact.
On May 4, the DRDO unveiled an “Ultra Violet (UV) Disinfection Tower” for chemical-free disinfection of infection prone surfaces in laboratories and offices, such as computers, printers and scanners. Using UV waves, the tower disinfects a small room in 10 minutes and a large room in 30 minutes.
On April 14, the DRDO unveiled a COVid SAmple Collection Kiosk (COVSACK), which allows health workers to collect samples from patients without wearing PPE kits, since the kiosk’s shielding screen protects the medical worker from the aerosols of the patient while taking the sample.
National Technology Day is observed on May 11 every year to commemorate the 1998 nuclear tests at Pokhran and to underline the need for self-reliance in critical areas.

itsAurea

Country flag
Is there a possbility that there's already one being developed? There are a lot of brilliant people in the country who can really make something.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Is there a possbility that there's already one being developed? There are a lot of brilliant people in the country who can really make something.
We would never know. It's quite likely that most countries with a good pharmaceutical industry possess chemical and biological weapons under the cover, the stockpile and quality may be classified.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
highly unlikely India has developed bio warfare as a military tool, simply because our diplomacy & foreign policy is not structured that way.

Vande1947

Country flag
There is an article in The New Indian Express, published on 22/03/2020 titled

'The history of germ warfare and how prepared India is'

Worth a read

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
There is an article in The New Indian Express, published on 22/03/2020 titled

'The history of germ warfare and how prepared India is'

Worth a read
Why don't leave a link here?

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
https://m.timesofindia.com/india/0-...p-ppe-production/amp_articleshow/75038389.cms
Before March we never produced ,rather imported all of them.
There are almost zero infectious disease post graduation seats in India
Almost zero academic seats on virology ,bacteriology and parasitology so obviously we can understand the amount of research going in these fields
Very few pharma companies doing R&D on newer drugs .
On top of that our hygeine sense is awesome.
All these ,and other factors which I am not much aware of shows that we have a long way to go before we are prepared for a bio warfare
We do have super-speciality seats for infectious diseases.
We do have postgraduate seats for bacteriology, parasitology and virology in both MD and MSc.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
As far as bio warfare defence is concerned, a phased manner strategy should be put in place.

1st- prevention of biological attack
2nd- if attack happened, measures to counter the spread.
3rd- measures to stop the epidemic to spread in more districts, states.
4th- measures to fight the epidemic at multi state level.

We never knew about N95 respirator or PPE kits before this pandemic. We didn't have any manufacturer who could make quality ventilators. Even right now we lack such ability considering how companies like Maquet, Drager, GE are doing in this area.

N95, PPE are required to be used not only during handling any infection, it should be used whenever you are working in industry which generates fine particle dust or materials like coal mines, textile industry or even farmers should use whenever they use pesticides.

Sanatani

Country flag
We do have super-speciality seats for infectious diseases.
We do have postgraduate seats for bacteriology, parasitology and virology in both MD and MSc.
I know there are DM and FNB seats in India but the number is very very less. That's why I wrote almost zero. In a country as big as ours we need at least 20 times the seats we have at present.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I specifically remember the video of top brass army general meeting when v k Singh was army chief. Chemical weapon was discussed in that meeting.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
I know there are DM and FNB seats in India but the number is very very less. That's why I wrote almost zero. In a country as big as ours we need at least 20 times the seats we have at present.
We don't have morr institutes for such curriculum.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles