Indians view China as friend, but Chinese don't: survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country flag
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India...but-Chinese-don-t-survey/Article1-544090.aspx

Indians view China as friend, but Chinese don't: survey

Majority of Indians regard China as a friend and partner in sharp contrast to feeling among Chinese who consider Pakistan a better partner and place India next only to the US and Japan in the list of nations that threatened their country the most, according to a new survey.

A series of surveys conducted between 2000 and 2009 in India and China gives a glimpse of how people of the two countries living in divergent systems perceived each other in the period when both posted good growth rates.

The surveys conducted by Beijing-based Horizon Research Consultancy was released the 2nd India-China Forum meeting here today.

About 43 per cent Indians interviewed consider China as a partner, while 23 per cent regarded it as an enemy.

"Eight per cent said they don't know while 26 per cent said it was difficult to identify," Yuan Yue, Chairman of the consultancy group, said presenting the details.

Yuan left the meeting immediately after his presentation and efforts by Indian correspondents here to reach him were not successful.

About 4500 Chinese were surveyed annually by his firm since 2000, he said.

"There is a consistent feeling in India that China is a friendly country," Yuan said adding that 33 per cent Indians said they believe China would over take US.

In sharp contrast, Chinese regard that Indians were not as diligent as they (Chinese) are and most of the Indians lived in poor conditions with many sleeping on footpaths, though Chinese believe that rich Indians are richer than that of their Chinese counterparts.

Yuan said over the years' Chinese attitude towards India has improved but their perceptions were not high about forging economic cooperation or friendship.

India figured only after Russia, North Korea, European Union and Australia in Chinese perceptions. Only 2.2 per cent Chinese regard India as the most friendly country, he said.

Japan, which was viewed poorly in Chinese perceptions due to historic discord, figured way below India.

"If we compare with Pakistan more Chinese feel that it was a better partner than India. About 4.9 per cent felt that Pakistan was a better partner for China in 2009," he said.

According to him, Chinese also regard India as the "weakest" among BRIC nations, (Brazil, Russia, India and China).

They also feel that Indians were not getting benefited much out of their country's rise as economic power.

BunBunCake

I reject this claim!
Let me guess, the 4,500 Chinese interviewed were from Pakistani forums??

I will believe "Chinese don't view India as a friend" or "Chinese view Pakistan a friend more than India" once these guys give me HOW they surveyed the people. Until then. Results are bluff. Too much bias involved.

Once again, more crap from the media.

SHASH2K2

China's positive ratings dip 9 per cent in India, remain high in Pakistan

China's positive ratings in India have dipped with a new opinion poll showing 34 per cent of Indians view it favourably compared to 43 per cent in an earlier survey, but 85 per cent of Pakistanis rated it as a friendly nation.

The survey, conducted by US-based Pew Research Centre to gauge the world wide perspectives about China, showed that 52 per cent Indians viewed China unfavourably while 34 per cent gave it a favourable rating.

The new polls showed a nine per cent dip in the favourable rating enjoyed by China in India as an earlier survey conducted by Chinese firm Horizan research consultancy group between 2000 and 2009 showed that 43 per cent Indians considered China as a partner and 23 per cent regarded it as hostile.

Results of the PEW survey published in the state-run China Daily here showed an interesting pattern with Beijing receiving its best ratings in Kenya where 86 per cent viewed it favourably compared to 10 per cent negatively.

According to the survey conducted in 22 nations from April 7 to May 8 this year, China understandably enjoyed high positive rating of 85 per cent in Pakistan. Only three per cent of Pakistanis interviewed gave unfavourable rating to China, projected as all-weather friend.

The rising Asian power, however, received mixed ratings across the world. Thirty six per cent viewed China unfavourably in United States against 49 per cent, 46 per cent regarded it positively in Britain against 35 per cent, 41 per cent against 59 in France.

China received good ratings in Russia too where 60 per cent viewed it favourably compared to 29 per cent negative perceptions.

Among the countries where China was viewed mostly negatively was Japan which has historic disputes with China. Sixty nine per cent Japanese viewed China unfavourably compared to 26 per cent otherwise.

In Germany, 61 per cent viewed China negatively compared to 30 per cent and 61 per cent view Beijing negatively compared to 20 per cent in Turkey.

Former US secretary of state Madeleine Albright, who co-chaired the Pew global attitudes project, noted at a Washington news conference on Thursday that China is regarded highly as a result of the country's fast economic growth. "Their star is clearly rising," she said.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/102197/World/chinas-positive-ratings-dip-9-per-cent-in-india,-remain-high-in-pakistan.html

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
This survey is amazing. Its show you how "freaking stupid" the 43% of Indians are who view China as a partner are.

Considering that most people who took part in the survey must have been educated English speaking people; it makes it even more amazing.

50 years of active Chinese support for anti-India activities by Pakistan and in the North-East for the insurgents......and guess what - 43% of the Indian population still think the Chinese are our friends. That is just laughable.

Are we really that dumb as a people ???

AkhandBharat

India can and indeed is leveraging the china card as much as it can with US as Pakistan is leveraging the India card with China and the US. India does have business interests that it can leverage in China and it is probably these businesses that view China as a partner, not as a friend. And you need to tone down your criticism of India. Its getting old, really.

SHASH2K2

India and china can have good economic relationship but we can never be partners. we both are rivals and unfortunately neighbours as well so no chance of trust as well. moreover china activity in Pakistan will never let this animosity go down. only one way we can be friend is that China stop supporting Pakistan and keep a lease on them.

ChinaToday

i second this , i think it should be the other way round, we chinese always view indians as friend but inidians dont, ordinary chinese people dont know very much about india there fore you just cannt say wether chinese like or dislike india, if there is one country if u really want to put it in a way that chinese people dont like , i think is japan this is becos of what happened japan did in china in the second world war.

SHASH2K2

i second this , i think it should be the other way round, we chinese always view indians as friend but inidians dont, ordinary chinese people dont know very much about india there fore you just cannt say wether chinese like or dislike india, if there is one country if u really want to put it in a way that chinese people dont like , i think is japan this is becos of what happened japan did in china in the second world war.
You keep on arming pakistan and encouraging insurgents in India and expect us to love chinese people.
China need to change its ways if they want to change our heart.

huanle

ordinary chinese dont care a country called india ,only india press cares this kind of survey, ,,,we care peru much more than india

SHASH2K2

ordinary chinese dont care a country called india ,only india press cares this kind of survey, ,,,we care peru much more than india
I can understand why chinese donot care much about India. You guys are so much hated across the globe . there are many who you guys much much more than we do . obviously we are not at top in list of china haters.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Any statistics coming out of these magazine are anything but perfect. Their sample size, methods of survey, stratification of samples are so effedup that it is not even worth discussing such surveys. They are erratic and very inaccurate to start with.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
A few Salient points y'all glossed over.

1. Indians are smart and pragmatic. India is a free market democracy and China is a Totalitarian Regime. Indian masses dictate Foreign Policy; Chinese masses have to submit to their nations foreign policy. Indians have clearly demonstrated that they don't want enmity with a stronger neighbour and want peaceful relationship which will benefit both nations. Indians don't let the past or emotions come in the way of what is essentially good business and are effectively forcing the govt of both nations to take the peaceful path.

2. Indians are confident. Inspite of all the hoopla about China vs India, the Indians are confident in themselves and don't view Chinese with a narrow prism; but view them as a partner and a vast market.

--

badguy2000

Respected Member
frankly speaking, judging from the words of Indians in the forum , I never feel that Indians look on CHina as a friend.hahaha

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
frankly speaking, judging from the words of Indians in the forum , I never feel that Indians look on CHina as a friend.hahaha
Badguy you are not the smartest guy, you also know that. Why else would you rely on the internet and esp an Indian defence forumm where you and your fellow 50cent posters repeatedly flame and troll, to form a well rounded opinion about another country ?

ChinaToday

we dont have problem with india apart of a silly border disputes, as for arming pakistan, we supported them becos they are friendly toward us and supported us in the pass nothing more, believe me the last thing china wants is pakistan goes to war with india. As for encouragging insurgents in india this is just not true cos china never interferes in other country policy.
china and india can be friends , we have alot of thing in commons i just hope us two countries can be as friend as china with pakistan, even better if all country in asia can be friendly to each other to achieve a better life for asian people.

SHASH2K2

Judging by your words I consider China as our biggest enemy and thats true as well.

SHASH2K2

we dont have problem with india apart of a silly border disputes, as for arming pakistan, we supported them becos they are friendly toward us and supported us in the pass nothing more, believe me the last thing china wants is pakistan goes to war with india. As for encouragging insurgents in india this is just not true cos china never interferes in other country policy.
china and india can be friends , we have alot of thing in commons i just hope us two countries can be as friend as china with pakistan, even better if all country in asia can be friendly to each other to achieve a better life for asian people.
Entire Asian continent is full of hatred and is on brink of war only due to these SILLY BORDER DISPUTES . I do accept that IF India and China unites it will give sleepless nights to many across the globe. Someonr should give some knowledge to chinese communist regime top brains that Its India with whom they should have good terms not with the Pakistanis .

ChinaToday

Entire Asian continent is full of hatred and is on brink of war only due to these SILLY BORDER DISPUTES . I do accept that IF India and China unites it will give sleepless nights to many across the globe. Someonr should give some knowledge to chinese communist regime top brains that Its India with whom they should have good terms not with the Pakistanis .
we have to look at a broader picture , look in to the future , forget the pass ,we can learn alot from each others , an india china friendship will be good for every body in the region and i think and hope india and pakistan can be friend too for the good of them too countries, china always try more to be friend with india than india with china, just to prove my point i havent seen or heard anything bad from our media about india the same cannt be said about your media.

Oracle

we have to look at a broader picture , look in to the future , forget the pass ,we can learn alot from each others , an india china friendship will be good for every body in the region and i think and hope india and pakistan can be friend too for the good of them too countries, china always try more to be friend with india than india with china, just to prove my point i havent seen or heard anything bad from our media about india the same cannt be said about your media.
What about the article ' China should break India into 30 pieces?' written by Zhan Lue in iiss.cn (International Institute for Strategic Studies).

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Any statistics coming out of these magazine are anything but perfect. Their sample size, methods of survey, stratification of samples are so effedup that it is not even worth discussing such surveys. They are erratic and very inaccurate to start with.
exactly my thoughts!

1000 odd decide for a country of 1.2 billion people of how the rest of us think, and how much more crappy can these surveys be? heck someone can sit in a nice air-conditioned room and come up with such figures, least we get too serious about them.

guys there are threads dedicated specifically for news and articles and best is we keep these type of irrelevant news articles there. other than some silly bashing of each other nothing valuable worth a discussion is going to be generated here, its a pointless thread which stands closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles