Indians under attack in USA ?

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I would like to understand why highly educated defenseless Indian are now being attacked by Americans. There are many cases in recent 3 years only when Indians are deliberately target by these racists.
They were targeting black population for last one century and now being out exposed by blacks they have started targeting Indians. I am wondering form now how long these vampires are going to feed them self on Indian blood after Black's and red Indians.
No one in India is speaking about it, what a shame......

http://blog.taragana.com/politics/2010/06/06/indian-american-haley-is-racially-attacked-41819/

http://www.thestatesman.net/index.php?id=332952&option=com_content&catid=35

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Indian-student-attacked-in-US-6th-in-1-year/386423/

Posts merged
.v0id

BunBunCake

hit&run, there's a simple thing: Haters gonna hate.

We don't care if they are racist against us, Indians here live off their hard work. No matter how much the racists criticize us and call us unqualified for example the governor spot, it doesn't stop us from growing.

There are many people here that love us, and our culture. We only appreciate those people. Those who hate can keep hating us. That doesn't stop our advancement.

I live in Virginia (which is a mix of both people from the North and the South. I can tell easily if a person here's racist or not) I also lived in New England (Rhode Island) and people there lived like they do in Europe, or any where else in the world. They only saw you, they didn't see that you were Mexican, Indian, Chinese, or Black.

We don't need to worry about these kinds of haters. People like Bobby Jindal only became governor because of their hard work.

hit&run

Mod
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/indian-software-student-shot-dead-in-us/126639-2.html?from=tn

Washington: An Indian student studying software engineering in Stratford University in Connecticut was shot dead by unidentified assailants in a suspected robbery case.
Arun Kumar Narote, who hails from Hyderabad was gunned down Monday at a grocery store at Bridgeport in Connecticut where he was working as a part-time employee.
The incident happened around 9:30 pm (local time). Police are investigating into the case. Kumar was pursuing MSc in software engineering after graduating from the Indira Reddy Memorial Engineering college in Hyderabad.

Another life wasted, Thanks to America and Americans.......................................

zraver

Professional
Haley is on her way to winning with a majority of white voters..... The real racist is you trying to lump all Americans into a single pot over a very few incidents.

Oracle

R.I.P Arun.

These are crimes which happen all over the world. Does not necessarily mean hate crimes in US of A. And even if that happens in USA, I am sure the culprits would be brought to book.

Last edited:

zraver

Professional
Especially since Indians are very Americanish in that they work hard.

hit&run

Mod
I am not surprised by Haley. Choices are made in west first by race, colour and then by religion, there is no 4th option, see the trend yourself.

I don't think attackers were of any other nationality, they were Americans and are targeting Indians deliberately. I hope Indian students should will opt American gun culture like cowards and start keeping guns around the belt.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
H&R, America is not the same as Australia. Sure, the US has its share of rednecks and racists, but on the whole, Americans are far far more tolerant and accepting of other cultures than Australians are. However, the crime rate in some US cities is very high and the crimes themselves are unusually violent, because of the easy availability of guns. Unlike in India, in the US, even a small crime like a robbery or a street fight can turn ugly and people are shot and killed. Such incidents regularly take place in some cities, and sometimes, Indians are the victims (since Indians will usually never own guns or initiate a gunfight).

zraver

Professional
H&R, America is not the same as Australia. Sure, the US has its share of rednecks and racists, but on the whole, Americans are far far more tolerant and accepting of other cultures than Australians are. However, the crime rate in some US cities is very high and the crimes themselves are unusually violent, because of the easy availability of guns. Unlike in India, in the US, even a small crime like a robbery or a street fight can turn ugly and people are shot and killed. Such incidents regularly take place in some cities, and sometimes, Indians are the victims (since Indians will usually never own guns or initiate a gunfight).
If you exclude black crimes which is a function of poverty, then the crime rates in America is comparable to W. Europe and India.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
If you exclude black crimes which is a function of poverty, then the crime rates in America is comparable to W. Europe and India.
Z, I don't buy the "function of poverty" reasoning. I think there is a deeper reason. Even here in Canada, blacks are disproportionately represented in crime statistics even though there are poor people from many communities and national origins here. There are poor Indians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Philipinos, Eastern Europeans etc, but they don't dominate the crime headlines. In fact, they work hard and rise up from the bottom of the labour pit. Another thing I notice is that even recent immigrants from Africa are less violence and crime prone than the black population that has been resident here for a few generations.

hit&run

Mod
I think i have become over sensitive because of my Australian experiences. I have always found America more accepting but the numbers are rising and i have no doubt at all the victim families will use the same line i.e. life wasted in America by Americans.

I know what sacrifices these families do to send their loved ones overseas being a student myself. People may mix this issue with race or colour but i know this issue is to do with being weak or strong or soft enough to be natural target. If you ask me that how i react to every racist taunt made at Indians by these insects then many may not agree with me but i have learnt to make them back off (physically as well). Indians have to change their picture and have to go to a level where offenders will learn that we are not Gandhi's Indians or Jews of WWI era any more.

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Will Indians face a backlash in the U.S.?

There is a cultural defensiveness among many Indians, but they bring enterprise and energy to communities with their presence, and this works to everyone's benefit.

There has been increasing angst and teeth-gnashing among Indians in the United States this week over a tongue-in-cheek essay by columnist Joel Stein in the international newsweekly, Time. Mr. Stein ruefully talks about how his native Edison, a New Jersey community just across the Hudson River from New York City, has been transformed into a "Little India" — with the overpowering smells of Indian cuisine, the eclectic colours of Indian ethnicity, and the distinctive dialects of the subcontinent dominating what was once a largely Italian-American town.

The blogosphere has been ricocheting with rants against the writer, accusing him of prejudice or worse. Time's editors subsequently said that the magazine — whose circulation is just under four million — did not intend to offend Indians. I know Mr. Stein, and he's scarcely a racist; he has acknowledged that the presence of Indians has brought fresh prosperity and diversity to Edison. I am pretty sure that his piece was intended to be satirical, even if it wasn't especially felicitous. Columnists, after all, are paid to be provocative; engendering offence is sometimes one of those unintended consequences of the trade.

An Indian friend, who lives in East Asia, put a healthy perspective on Mr. Stein's article after I had e-mailed it to her. "I was aware somewhere that I ought to be insulted as this guy is saying mean things about my countrymen and culture — but the piece is written with so much humour and candour that I could not help but see his point," she said. "I cannot help but see where he is coming from. It may not be balanced but brings out the feelings of so many. And somewhere along the line admits to being biased. I see why Time ran it!"

My own feeling is that Indians — especially those living and prospering abroad — often tend to be bereft of irony and a self-deprecating sense of humour; they are given to being far too readily offended as a tribe. It may not quite be a "Masada Complex" — a feeling of being under siege — but there's a cultural defensiveness that I have sensed among many Indians I have known since I first landed in the U.S. as a student.

Of course, there are now many more Indians in America since my initial arrival in 1967. When I visited the U.S. — now my adopted country — not long ago for a major class reunion at Brandeis University near Boston and Cambridge, it struck me that just about every second person on the streets seemed to be of Indian origin. In my home city of New York, the situation was no less different.

Surely, I thought, America — a nation of 307 million — must profit substantially from the presence of these Indians, of whom there are now more than 2.5 million, a tenth of the global Indian Diaspora. As if by serendipity, I came across a study showing that indeed America does benefit handsomely through the contributions of Indians, including businessmen, physicians, and high-technology entrepreneurs.

This study was jointly prepared by the India-U.S. World Affairs Institute of Washington, the Robert H. Smith School of Business of the University of Maryland, and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry; it revealed that Indians are not only the most affluent and most educated of the scores of ethnic communities in the melting pot that's the U.S., they are also rapidly becoming among the most significant investors in the American economy.

According to the report, 90 Indian companies made 127 greenfield investments worth $5.5 billion between 2004 and 2009, and created 16,576 jobs in the U.S. During the same period, 239 Indian companies made 372 acquisitions in the U.S., creating more than 40,000 jobs. The total value of 267 (of the 372) acquisitions was $21 billion, or $78.7 million per acquisition. A "greenfield investment" is a form of foreign direct investment where a parent company starts a new venture in a foreign country by constructing new operational facilities from the ground up.

The study says that the five industrial sectors in the U.S. that received the most greenfield investment were metals; software and information technology services; leisure and entertainment; industrial machinery, equipment and tools; and financial services. The sums poured into these sectors accounted for almost 80 per cent of total greenfield investment. New Jersey — the State in which Edison is located — has been one of the top recipients of Indian investment.

New Jersey schools and colleges also have among the largest number of the Indian students who come to the U.S. each year. Overall, there are an estimated 94,563 students from India whose net contribution to the U.S. economy was $2.39 billion, according to the study. In fact, students of Indian origin constitute 10 to 12 per cent of medical students entering U.S. schools, the new study says. Furthermore, there are about 50,000 physicians (and 15,000 medical students) of Indian heritage in the American cities, and in rural areas.

New Jersey has its share of the so-called "Patel motels" too. There are currently almost 10,000 Indian American owners of hotels/motels in the U.S., owning over 40 per cent of all hotels in the country and 39 per cent of all guest rooms; the study says they own more than 21,000 hotels with 1.8 million guest rooms and property valued at $129 billion. These Indian-owned facilities employ 578,600 workers.

The U.S. Census Bureau adds that there were 231,000 businesses owned by Indian Americans in 2002, which employed 615,000 workers and had revenues of over $89 billion. (The Census Bureau conducts the survey every five years, and the results of the 2007 survey will be available in a few days). A study led by Vivek Wadhwa for Duke University and the University of California, Berkeley, found that Indian immigrant entrepreneurs had founded more engineering and technology companies during 1995-2005 than immigrants from Britain, China, Japan, and Taiwan combined. Of all immigrant-founded companies, 26 per cent had Indian founders.

Which brings us back to Joel Stein's column and all the hullaballoo that it has generated. Edison, New Jersey, may not be a precursor of things to come — in other words, Indians are hardly about to demographically dominate small towns all across America; the country's immigration laws would work against that possibility. But Indians bring enterprise and energy to communities with their presence, and this works to everyone's benefit. They are largely anchored in their homespun culture, but they are also respectful of American mores and morals, and laws as well. They make the American tapestry more colourful, richer, and culturally more alive. They are living the American Dream, but in their own special Indian way. What's wrong with that?

(Pranay Gupte is a veteran international journalist and author. His forthcoming book is on India and the Middle East.)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles