Indian Woman for Combat Duties

Status
Not open for further replies.

srevster

Country flag
Right. Again. Context = period. Period (pun intended).
Mood swings don’t prevent you firing a gun and staying focused on a goal you worked to achieve for several years. It’s a small inconvenience that you mentally train yourself to deal with.

humans can’t breathe underwater. But we can train ourselves to adapt with scuba gear. We learn to control our breathing to change bouyancy. If we are capable of such quick calibrations in hostile environments, you don’t think training can bridge the gap for women? Your neural synapses adjust how it processes the input to adapt to the current situation. I don’t have a special reserve bank of courage because I’m a guy.

I have done sky-diving, scuba diving, mountain biking, cross fit training; in all of those activities that take a physical toll and courage; never once did the source of strength come from me being a guy, but from a source of will power and self awareness. That my friends is sexually agnostic

in a fight, people brag about having balls. Except balls are a big liability if you get kicked in them. You can be dropped in a second. The argument can swing both ways.

Indrajit

Country flag
I have done sky-diving, scuba diving, mountain biking, cross fit training; in all of those activities that take a physical toll and courage; never once did the source of strength come from me being a guy, but from a source of will power and self awareness. That my friends is sexually agnostic
All other things said accepted but how sure of the bold part are you? Are you saying that there are no intrinsic physiological distinctions between the sexes that may favour one?

As for the proposal for allowing women into combat roles, I would agree if there are no exceptions made on the physical requirements. Can’t have it both ways. I believe that there will be some women who can tough it out just like some men, we should put it to the test. We can then have entire battalions of women who qualify operating in combat roles and maybe we can gather enough data to see where that takes us.

srevster

Country flag
All other things said accepted but how sure of the bold part are you? Are you saying that there are no intrinsic physiological distinctions between the sexes that may favour one?

As for the proposal for allowing women into combat roles, I would agree if there are no exceptions made on the physical requirements. Can’t have it both ways. I believe that there will be some women who can tough it out just like some men, we should put it to the test. We can then have entire battalions of women who qualify operating in combat roles and maybe we can gather enough data to see where that takes us.

This isn’t unique to men

dhairyan. firmness, steadfastness, constancy, fortitude; gravity, resolute bear ing; obstinacy: -tâ, f. perseverance; -dhara, a. steady, constant, persevering; -vat, a. id.; -vritti, a. steadily conducted.

srevster

Country flag
No special provisions because the enemy will not be offering that consideration.
Actually society as a whole will grow stronger if women are also martial. Fitness culture, self protection at night, standing up for what is right. You are only looking for things from a qualifying criteria; I’m looking at the positive impact it has in the confidence of half of our population and the values we instill into each child.

in the case of a war, I can only point to prior battles to defend my case. Stalingrad, Jhansi Ki Rani, Joan of Ark, etc. that is more factual in my opinion compared to any report that might have a political bias.

Indrajit

Country flag
dhairyan. firmness, steadfastness, constancy, fortitude; gravity, resolute bear ing; obstinacy: -tâ, f. perseverance; -dhara, a. steady, constant, persevering; -vat, a. id.; -vritti, a. steadily conducted.
Granted but that doesn’t necessarily mean that women can go toe to toe with men in many physical pursuits. There is a reason that women athletes compete separately. Do you believe an woman boxer or MMA competitor can fight a male counterpart? Let’s not be silly about this while still accepting the basic thrust of what you have said. Women in combat? Sure, as long as no special provisions are requested because the enemy won’t be offering any.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
This isn’t unique to men

Tell that to the enemy. Maybe they will listen to your op-eds.

Killbot

Country flag
Actually society as a whole will grow stronger if women are also martial. Fitness culture, self protection at night, standing up for what is right. You are only looking for things from a qualifying criteria; I’m looking at the positive impact it has in the confidence of half of our population and the values we instill into each child.

in the case of a war, I can only point to prior battles to defend my case. Stalingrad, Jhansi Ki Rani, Joan of Ark, etc. that is more factual in my opinion compared to any report that might have a political bias.
As long as no exceptions are made. @Indrajit is right, you cannot have it both ways. And, rule of thumb: physiologically, men > women cognitive ability wise men = women

Indrajit

Country flag
Yes, I agree with everything you have said but still qualify it with the criteria for admission being retained. As I point out the army cannot solely exist to offer moral lessons to society, we are in perpetual conflict and combat soldiers are expected to do that. The enemy will offer no quarter.

Im not trying to be difficult about this but in most of the cases while courage was shown, martial ability was not. Even if we accept your contention to be true, these are few cases of exceptional women, not the rule. I’m open to testing this further but the primary job of the army is to fight wars and win. If women are allowed into combat roles, they must earn that right by demonstrating the same characteristics that men are asked to. That’s simply a given because the enemy will test them.

srevster

Country flag
Tell that to the enemy. Maybe they will listen to your op-eds.
Actually an interdisciplinary team of men and women will create more cohesive culture that is more empathetic to their colleagues. Interdisciplinary teams where both sexes can leverage their strengths tend to outperform teams that only constitute one sex. This has been proven in the corporate world and has been proven in the military.

one of the most important aspects of a professional military is morale. Men working in isolation with no interaction with another sex will perform less efficiently vs a soldier who is socializing with both sexes.

we can go in circles with hyperboles; but my point remains. India can only get stronger with a greater involvement of women in increasing GDP and participation in the military. Any Martial culture in the past has women warriors. Rajput, Sikh, Spartans were emotionally mature enough to cultivate the feminine side of martial culture. For god’s sakes Hindus revere Durga and several manifestations of women empowerment. I don’t know why it’s such an uphill battle for you to recognize my points

srevster

Country flag
As long as no exceptions are made. @Indrajit is right, you cannot have it both ways. And, rule of thumb: physiologically, men > women cognitive ability wise men = women
The argument isn’t about changing standards or physiological comparisons. The argument is for allowing participation without bias. I have no qualms with keeping rigorous standards and only admitting women when they match that standard. But don’t do it from a point of discrimination or bias.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
The argument isn’t about changing standards or physiological comparisons. The argument is for allowing participation without bias. I have no qualms with keeping rigorous standards and only admitting women when they match that standard. But don’t do it from a point of discrimination or bias.
No 'generalized' standards = No women entering combat

Lower standards = Rejected Men + Token participation of women entering combat

srevster

Country flag
No 'generalized' standards = No women entering combat

Lower standards = Rejected Men + Token participation of women entering combat
False. Right now women are barred from applying. Open the floodgates and remove those restrictions.

if they don’t make it that’s fine. But they should have opportunities to try and qualify without bias

I don’t think it’s possible to have a nationalistic population without the empowerment of women.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
False. Right now women are barred from applying. Open the floodgates and remove those restrictions.

if they don’t make it that’s fine. But they should have opportunities to try and qualify without bias

I don’t think it’s possible to have a nationalistic population without the empowerment of women.
Even after opening combat to women in US, participation is extremely low (< 2 %).

Most are in National Guard.

We are able to meet those numbers / quotas in paramilitary units.

This empowerment bullshit gets you killed in combat. Then your ilk will be nowhere to be seen.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

empowerment can happen thru other ways too, not just from women in combat.

Indrajit

Country flag
Actually an interdisciplinary team of men and women will create more cohesive culture that is more empathetic to their colleagues. Interdisciplinary teams where both sexes can leverage their strengths tend to outperform teams that only constitute one sex. This has been proven in the corporate world and has been proven in the military.
Let’s not go overboard with this stuff. Indian soldiers operating on the LAC against China give their buddies sponge rub downs and foot massages. Same in high altitude zones elsewhere. This is not an office environment. As for empathy for colleagues, Indian soldiers have not been short of brotherlyconcern with their fellow men. More empathy on a battlefield will probably be fatal.

one of the most important aspects of a professional military is morale. Men working in isolation with no interaction with another sex will perform less efficiently vs a soldier who is socializing with both sexes.
WoW !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles