Indian Weapons asking for Reservation

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
You didn't get it. We need multirole because we can't afford single role jets.
did i read it correct you saying we can't afford it... were you not the one saying we can have anything ... Is that a reverse gear...
Except in the one of the important missions it is actually required in.
Elaborate what you wanna convey...
Everything I type is going right over your head.
Try typing from heart .....
It doesn't matter. And small doesn't meant good. Small means less capable.
hilarious... Small doesnt mean good ... ok.... but less capable thats strange.... I believe you are still using computer of 1990's as they were huge and as per you more capable... or floppy drives instead of pendrive... what the size of your hard disk ... In which room do you keep it????
Yes. Rafale is undergoing improvements in materials and structural design. What we know about is canards. They are bringing in new manufacturing techniques that even ALA doesn't yet have.
That cannot be enough to inc composite% drastically as they cannot undergo design change to the level of Frame Stringers and Panels...
Change of one part alone will have a impact on whole assembly and they instal.... i dont think its gonna be at structural level... as if they do that testing for stress and getting there approval gonna cost alot....

Even concrete provides stealth and strength. So should we use concrete?

It is simple, if you can't afford titanium or Al-Li alloys, you use composites. There are different types of composites too. Some are simply cheap like the thermosets used in LCA there are expensive ones called thermoplastics used on Rafale. Rafale also used titanium and Al-Li alloys, which are better than composites in heat dissipation.
Composites what are composite carbon fibre reinforced plastic... they are made up of plies bound together with resin and then heated under pressure...
they have copper mesh glass ply etc etc... along with it ....I believe u already knew that ... and if you know this you will also know that even though it costs lesser than the Ti alloys its has greater strength it doesnot bend at high temperature does not corrode .... it adds life to the structure ....
easy maintenance.... lesser frictional losses...

Not necessarily. All aircraft use RAM, even LCA will use RAM. F-22's stealth comes mostly from shaping.
By design i meant shape only...
What I mean is if LCA was made from purely metal like aluminum, then it would have a higher RCS than if they used composites. As it stands today LCA has higher RCS than Rafale.
I said no different why are you repeating now? kindly share the RCS available with you ?
While your enthusiasm is appreciated by everybody, it was the same in 1990 when LCA Mk1 was first designed. That's where LCA Mk2 is today, in the design stage.
wait and watch keep few quote as back up will like to see you here once MK2 is complete ...
So what makes you think LCA is better than Rafale? LCA is our first design, hence it will be treated as one.
Who compared them not me... i said no need for rafale.... we can work with Tejas only....fast track MK2 we can have it by 2018 and even more A/C by 2025... in the lights of FGFA and AMCA....

Yes I want it to be treated as first child....
It is the same with the French.
Actually not they had all the support available not to forget all the money the wanted....
There is no other aircraft in its category, that's why it is the best. If it has to fight the Chinese, it is going to have to fight aircraft that's better than LCA.
oh yes true it has to ....
how about Rafale fighting with one of the Chinese 5th gen... what do you say about it? see once in a life time they are gonna face an aircraft better than them.. thats not an argument...
Incorrect. It wasn't the govt's fault. It is easy to bring nationalistic sentiments into it, but it was the army which made the decision to withdraw from those heights. It was the army's fault for not expecting an attack and it was the intelligence agencies fault for not able to detect the intrusion.
you are surely re write history my friend.....
You can say the lack of new equipment is the govt's fault and it wasn't corruption. It was just the long lengthy procurement processes and the higher importance given to the army and the air force.

The navy is also at fault because navigating inside the harbor is expected to be flawless. The navy being in a bad shape had nothing to do with the sinking of the submarine.
I have said earlier also anything which brings harm to nation is corruptions yes delays is corruption .....
why was it delayed for whose benefit navy didnt want delays ... so how are they at fault....
when you say this then why dont you agree that IAF was also at fault in case of Tejas... Here Navy is also just a buyer a consumer a client...
The only surprise I will be happy with when ADA sticks to schedule. I know the extent of LCA's capabilities, so it won't surprise me in that department, unless it suddenly takes off into space.
The reason for delay was nothing or anything what you just wrote....
be rest assured its gonna blow your mind off...
You don't know the facts and even if I present them you don't understand them.

Are you still saying LCA is better than Rafale?
I have not read any facts from your side they were just your opinions.....
It's fine as long as they bring the trophy home. I don't want the air force to be just a participant during war, I actually want them to win.
Trophy home .... WAR=Game... what the entry fee ? Lives of how many soldiers and citizens?
That's not a good thing.

How am I expected to close their gap? I can provide suggestions, like make their salaries and promotions dependent on the project schedule. Bring in biometric electronic devices that punch in their exact time for work and breaks, the time they come in, the time they leave etc, to the last second. These are practiced in the private industry, and just these two will increase efficiency by a huge margin.
and to make it triple lets make defense forces take some responsibility aswell ....
So, why keep the forces hostage for a decade or two? What if we lose a war because they received substandard equipment? You can't blame them for that, can you?

Who do you blame then, the govt? All they did was make sure the army buys indigenous equipment.

Would you blame DRDO for providing substandard equipment?

The last time we had a war, the military was more dependent on the Israelis than they were on DRDO. Why is that?
a counter question what did they do to improve that...??
I can compare an orange with the earth also. Mk2 falls between Mk1 and F-22 too. Mk2 also falls between Mk1 and the Space Shuttle.

When they make a new space ship that can achieve speed of light, even then Mk2 will fall between Mk1 and this ship.

Mk1 falls between the Wright brother's aircraft and Mk2.
oooooooooooo.... stop mate... i already compared it with mountain .... though its not that a big difference.....
That's not IAF's fault. Mig upgrade is IAF's responsibility. Delivering LCA is ADA's responsibility. By 2000 we have fully upgraded Mig-21, by 2000 LCA wasn't even flying. Is that IAF"s fault?

Are you a retard? How is this IAF's fault? IAF wanted LCA in 1999. If they don't have LCA what will they induct?
Thats what should be changed RESPONSIBILITY .....
Yes i am a retard .. i hope you dont mind talking to one.. because i don't....
IAF wanted LCA in 1999?????are you sure... when were the funds made available?what is the minimum time span of A/C design ?When was the project started?

IAF is the biggest victim here.

Your comments are just like minister comments who blame the woman for getting raped. Completely ignorant and retarded.

None of the delay with LCA is the IAF's fault. Everything is ADA's fault. ADA themselves have said there was no lack of funds, so there is no fault with the ministry too. All of LCA's faults today is technical.
Victim ghosh they are spending all the money in teh world on foreign toys.... how are they victim.... Are they not part of our defense system?
Ministry is not at fault ultimate...

you know who the victim is .. We Are ... Tax Payers...

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
@p2prada

I have a friend who is a veteran of IA and is a DRDO engineer now . His opinion of DRDO is exactly what you and @Bhadra were claiming to be. He says DRDO is overfunded with several state of the art stuff but they never utilise it because it is just like any other typical Govt office where all the employees sit on their asses and do nothing. No wonder the projects are delayed so much.

And before the hypernationalistic morons who think they only have the moral right to critise stuff jump with crap about other stuff DRDO achieved, please take a moment to consider that they are just doing their damn job for which they are fully paid with the tax money we give. And getting something done does not mean they can sit their asses on other projects which are also paid from our tax money with no accountability

PS: @p2prada , Is there any significance to the number 10000 ? Seriously, considering the abuse you get here, its a wonder why you have lasted here so long. Anyway, I just liked all the posts in this thread because they are very informative and also for acknowledging your good work here before you leave. Thanks for the info:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

@p2prada

I have a friend who is a veteran of IA and is a DRDO engineer now . His opinion of DRDO is exactly what you and @Bhadra were claiming to be. He says DRDO is overfunded with several state of the art stuff but they never utilise it because it is just like any other typical Govt office where all the employees sit on their asses and do nothing. No wonder the projects are delayed so much.
Ray, Lemontree and Deltacamelately have also said the same things. And all three are/were part of this forum.

They are simply not interested in knowing the ground realities.

PS: @p2prada , Is there any significance to the number 10000 ?
None whatsoever. The point I made was no matter how many LCAs we have, we can't do the same things like we can with Rafale. It's like comparing a truck to a transport auto. There are limits to the load carried, speed, distance etc. The only aspect the auto is good at is carrying small loads to short distances without incurring large expenses, that's where LCA is useful. We will need a few squadrons, but not hundreds of them.

If I am an Air Marshal sitting in Delhi and I want latest intel report from the Myanmar border, all I need to do is contact a Wing Commander from Kalaikunda and inform the Rafale squadron to undertake a recce sortie to the border. They just need to bring an aircraft out and have it flying within the hour. LCA cannot do the same thing so quickly. That's why any number, be it 1 or 10000 or a million, some things are better left to the better aircraft.

Seriously, considering the abuse you get here, its a wonder why you have lasted here so long. Anyway, I just liked all the posts in this thread because they are very informative and also for acknowledging your good work here before you leave. Thanks for the info:thumb:
No problem. It is always nice to be appreciated.

p2prada

did i read it correct you saying we can't afford it... were you not the one saying we can have anything ... Is that a reverse gear...
Single role jets are like what the US and China are doing. F-22 is purely air superiority while F-35 is purely strike oriented. Extra capabilities are added to make them multirole, bu their missions are specifically cut out for them.

For eg: During Iraq war, only the F-15s handled offensive anti-air duties while F-16s were not allowed to do so.

IAF cannot afford it because, although desirable, we cannot keep all MKIs in purely air superiority role. Depending on how the situation is they will assign other roles to MKI.

To have a single role aircraft you need to have more money.

Elaborate what you wanna convey...
Interception. Mig-21 is designed as an interceptor, that's why it is better than the LCA in this role. However LCA was designed for air superiority and not just interception. For interception you need very high speed, high climb rates and high acceleration. That's not LCA's cup of tea.

Try typing from heart .....
Does that put food on the table?

hilarious... Small doesnt mean good ... ok.... but less capable thats strange.... I believe you are still using computer of 1990's as they were huge and as per you more capable... or floppy drives instead of pendrive... what the size of your hard disk ... In which room do you keep it????
Ever heard of supercomputers? Do you know how big they are? Yeah, even the supercomputer of 2050 will use a building sized room.

So size does matter.

No, this doesn't fit into my room, or my hand. And yeah, these are bigger than computers from the '90s.

That cannot be enough to inc composite% drastically as they cannot undergo design change to the level of Frame Stringers and Panels...
Change of one part alone will have a impact on whole assembly and they instal.... i dont think its gonna be at structural level... as if they do that testing for stress and getting there approval gonna cost alot....
How about wait and watch?

By design i meant shape only...
LCA is not shaped for stealth.

kindly share the RCS available with you ?
LCA's RCS is said to be 3 times smaller than a Mirage-2000. Rafale's RCS is anywhere between 10-20 times smaller than a Mirage-2000.

Who compared them not me... i said no need for rafale.... we can work with Tejas only....fast track MK2 we can have it by 2018 and even more A/C by 2025... in the lights of FGFA and AMCA....
From 2018 onwards can you tell me how many LCA we can build by 2030?

Yes I want it to be treated as first child....
That's not how it works in the field of engineering. The next product is better than the first child. The following product even better. So, people will keep jumping to the next one. You can continue sitting with your '90s PC.

Actually not they had all the support available not to forget all the money the wanted....
ADA has complete monopoly and they also have all the money they need. They have always had all the money they needed.

oh yes true it has to ....
how about Rafale fighting with one of the Chinese 5th gen... what do you say about it? see once in a life time they are gonna face an aircraft better than them.. thats not an argument...
The Chinese 5th gen is also following the same timeline as FGFA. First prototype flew only in 2014, before that there were only demonstrators.

How about we compare Rafale with J-10 instead? J-10 is also better than LCA, it is a MCA after all. It has more than 3 tonnes of fuel, and carries more than 6 tonnes of weapons. It has more hardpoints and already has AESA. Nevertheless, it is nowhere as good as Rafale.

you are surely re write history my friend.....
Explain.

I have said earlier also anything which brings harm to nation is corruptions yes delays is corruption .....
why was it delayed for whose benefit navy didnt want delays ... so how are they at fault....
when you say this then why dont you agree that IAF was also at fault in case of Tejas... Here Navy is also just a buyer a consumer a client...
If people don't work, how do you think there will not be delays?

If I ask you to finish something by tomorrow, but you sleep all day and then run off with your friends, is it my fault or yours?

The reason for delay was nothing or anything what you just wrote....
be rest assured its gonna blow your mind off...
It blew my mind off back in 2011, even the ACM's mind. You should have seen his face during IOC-1 day.

I have not read any facts from your side they were just your opinions.....
My opinion is also shared by people from the military and from DRDO.

Trophy home .... WAR=Game... what the entry fee ? Lives of how many soldiers and citizens?
I hope you do understand that we are talking about weapons that are made to kill. Let's say 2.5 billion soldiers and citizens are involved.

and to make it triple lets make defense forces take some responsibility aswell ....
Like what? They are the customers. What can they do? All they can do is wait and they have. That makes them the best customers in the world.

a counter question what did they do to improve that...??
You tell me.

oooooooooooo.... stop mate... i already compared it with mountain .... though its not that a big difference.....
It's much more. You wouldn't even begin to understand the difference between Rafale and LCA even if ADA's director said it.

IAF wanted LCA in 1999?????are you sure... when were the funds made available?what is the minimum time span of A/C design ?When was the project started?
Look up how long F-16 and Mirage-2000 took to finish induction.

IAF wanted LCA in 1999 and ADA said in 1996 they would deliver the aircraft by 1999. In 2001, ADA said they will deliver the aircraft by 2006, then 2008, then 2009, then 2010, then 2011, then 2012, then 2013, then 2014. Oops, even FOC date will be missed this year. So, they will finally deliver in 2015, maybe. You explain how this is IAF's fault?

Victim ghosh they are spending all the money in teh world on foreign toys.... how are they victim.... Are they not part of our defense system?
They are the victims, because they can't postpone winning a war. The officers couldn't get up comfortably in the morning and every 15 minutes go for a coffee break that lasts one hour while they were fighting there.

Soldiers and Officers know first hand how important it is to not miss a deadline, but here DRDO is the world leader in missed deadlines.

you know who the victim is .. We Are ... Tax Payers...
Yes, for dumping money in the cesspit called DRDO.

Here. Read this article from 1999.

Light Combat Aircraft : Unduly Long Wait by Wg.Cdr. NK Pant (Retd.)
Light Combat Aircraft : Unduly Long Wait
Wg.Cdr. NK Pant (Retd.)

In the early 1980s, Indian defence planners visualized the need for an indigenously produced next generation multi-role combat aircraft which could replace the MiG-21 fleet, which is the backbone of the IAF combat arm after their obsolescence in the early 1990s. The Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) in Bangalore was entrusted with the task of developing the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). This project has been beset with problems from the very beginning.

The LCA will be a signal-engined, single-seater, all-weather, air superiority, multirole fighter. The aircraft uses advanced carbon fiber composites for its airframe to improve structural endurance and anti-radar capabilities, in place of heavier metal alloy.

The first batch of aircraft will be powered by US made General Electric F-404 turbofan engines. A dozen had been imported before the American sanctions came into forces following the May 1998 nuclear tests. In fact, the GE- F–404 has already been integrated into the LCA's airframe powering the electrical system, avionics, hydraulic pumps and the fuel system. But the eventual power plant for the aircraft will be indigenous 'Kaveri' GTX 35 engine being developed by Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE). According to the Defence Ministry's latest annual report, five prototypes of this engine have undergone extensive ground testing for about 900 hours so far.

The LCA will carry four tonnes of weapons load, air-to-air laser-guided and radar-guided missiles as well as conventional bombs and smart ammunition. For its air defences missions, the machine will carry two types of missiles as its main weapons, while in attack roles it will carry multiple bombs. Its forward looking infra-red sensors would provide a better source of target information. The LCA may also have capabilities to deliver nuclear warheads, and may hence form part of the IAF's deterrent fleet.

The final development cost is expected to be approximately Rs. 3000 crore. More than half will be in foreign exchange. Prior to the sanctions, technology and equipment worth more than $200 million has already been acquired from the US firms. The LCA is likely to be the most cost-effective aircraft in its range with an estimated price tag of Rs. 75 crore per machine.

Though the aircraft should have been inducted into service in the early 1990s, (My note: This was the initial plan in 1983 and IAF's requirements were based on this date) it was only in 1992 that the design could be 'frozen', to be followed by extensive wind tunnel tests. The first LCA model under Phase-I rolled out in November 1995. Phase-I consisted of design, fabrication and flight testing of two technology demonstrators called TD-1 and TD-2 for proving key technologies such as aerodynamics, composite structure, fly-by-wire system and core avionics. The machine has to undergo integration tests, including ground resonance tests. Phase II comprise the manufacture of five prototypes, integration of multi mode radar weapons, the 'Kaveri' engine and electronic warfare system.

The first test flight after a long delay was planned in December 1996, but for reasons best known to the DRDO it is yet to take place. Strangely, just before the present Parliament was dissolved, its Standing Committee on Defence was informed by MoD that the maiden test flight of the LCA would take place by July, but this seemed to be the usual over-optimism. The Standing Committee has desired that all resources should be pooled towards early production of the advanced jet fighter to achieve self reliance in this vital sector of national defence. Subsequently the government is understood to have sanctioned an additional grant of Rs. 500 crore to infuse a new lease of life in this tardily moving project.

The unduly long delay in induction of the LCA is certainly a cause for worry. The ageing MiG-21 fleet, which should have been phased out, is proving to be a flight safety hazard. Moreover, as the LCA is nowhere on the operational horizon, the IAF has initiated an upgradation plan for about 125 MiG-21s with Russian assistance. This, too, has lagged behind schedule which will effect force levels in the immediate future. The security scenario in the post Kargil era must act as an eye opener, and defence planners must ensure that this high technology project is taken up on a war footing.

I had already posted this before, but IAF wanted a very simple aircraft. They didn't want digital FBW or a multimode radar. It was ADA which complicated the design and couldn't deliver.

I don't know where the article is but I read recently that in 1999 the Air Chief walked out of a presentation when the presenters told that ADA cannot deliver the LCA for another 20 years. They turned out to be true.

Last edited:

Pulkit

Country flag
Just a clarity small one...
No One atleast not me was favouring DRDO ....
What was said that Defense forces are equally responsible....
The ultimate aim is to get the thing done....
If Defense forces want to take inability of DRDO as an excuse then its not acceptable....

Who abused whom? Someone please read all what I wrote.... Not even a single word of disrespect was used by me....
Call me what ever you feel....

Its all about Accountability and responsibility....
Defense Forces are no Victim ,DRDO DPSUs are a liability today and our Leaders of UPA rule were cherry on the top...

jalsa

@p2prada Nice to see you back. I have few doubts regarding the LCA,

What is the RCS of the LCA? with and without weapons load and how good is it compared to Rafale.

The Engine of our LCA is Imported, what is the point of building Indigenous Fighter if the most important part of it is Imported? that too from a sanction-prone country like US, what are our options regarding the engine during war-time.

jalsa

What is the RCS of the LCA? with and without weapons load and how good is it compared to Rafale.

The Engine of our LCA is Imported, what is the point of building Indigenous Fighter if the most important part of it is Imported? that too from a sanction-prone country like US, what are our options regarding the engine during war-time.

Pulkit

Country flag
Single role jets are like what the US and China are doing. F-22 is purely air superiority while F-35 is purely strike oriented. Extra capabilities are added to make them multirole, bu their missions are specifically cut out for them.

For eg: During Iraq war, only the F-15s handled offensive anti-air duties while F-16s were not allowed to do so.

IAF cannot afford it because, although desirable, we cannot keep all MKIs in purely air superiority role. Depending on how the situation is they will assign other roles to MKI.

To have a single role aircraft you need to have more money.
According to you only we have alot of funds (repeating as you forgot i think)...
Interception. Mig-21 is designed as an interceptor, that's why it is better than the LCA in this role. However LCA was designed for air superiority and not just interception. For interception you need very high speed, high climb rates and high acceleration. That's not LCA's cup of tea.
Its still better than MIG 21...

Does that put food on the table?
:rolleyes:
Ever heard of supercomputers? Do you know how big they are? Yeah, even the supercomputer of 2050 will use a building sized room.

So size does matter.

No, this doesn't fit into my room, or my hand. And yeah, these are bigger than computers from the '90s.
Great how many are there and what is it utility? what are its benefit how faster they are .... They are also trying to sqeeeze it down.....Thats the tech cycle...
How about wait and watch?

LCA is not shaped for stealth.
who said it was.... ?just said low radar cross section...
LCA's RCS is said to be 3 times smaller than a Mirage-2000. Rafale's RCS is anywhere between 10-20 times smaller than a Mirage-2000.
source please any reference anything to proove that....
From 2018 onwards can you tell me how many LCA we can build by 2030?
8+12+20+20+20+20+20+20+20+20+20+20+20.......

That's not how it works in the field of engineering. The next product is better than the first child. The following product even better. So, people will keep jumping to the next one. You can continue sitting with your '90s PC.
Thats why we talk about MK2 and even MK3 but u are stuck.....
[/QUOTE]
ADA has complete monopoly and they also have all the money they need. They have always had all the money they needed.

The Chinese 5th gen is also following the same timeline as FGFA. First prototype flew only in 2014, before that there were only demonstrators.

How about we compare Rafale with J-10 instead? J-10 is also better than LCA, it is a MCA after all. It has more than 3 tonnes of fuel, and carries more than 6 tonnes of weapons. It has more hardpoints and already has AESA. Nevertheless, it is nowhere as good as Rafale.

[/QUOTE]
:help::help: you need help man

If people don't work, how do you think there will not be delays?

If I ask you to finish something by tomorrow, but you sleep all day and then run off with your friends, is it my fault or yours?
Yeah thats what i am saying instead of asking why dont you only make sure that the work is done....safety first.....

It blew my mind off back in 2011, even the ACM's mind. You should have seen his face during IOC-1 day.

My opinion is also shared by people from the military and from DRDO.

I hope you do understand that we are talking about weapons that are made to kill. Let's say 2.5 billion soldiers and citizens are involved.
you compared war as game which was shocking.....
Like what? They are the customers. What can they do? All they can do is wait and they have. That makes them the best customers in the world.

You tell me.
that is exactly what needs to be changed...... no more customer they have there interest involved they should be parteners....
As i have said seeing that nothing is happening still gonna sit is also not good....
It's much more. You wouldn't even begin to understand the difference between Rafale and LCA even if ADA's director said it.
you r not getting me I give a damm about Rafale .... who cares even if its teh best a/c for world till its worst for me....

Look up how long F-16 and Mirage-2000 took to finish induction.

IAF wanted LCA in 1999 and ADA said in 1996 they would deliver the aircraft by 1999. In 2001, ADA said they will deliver the aircraft by 2006, then 2008, then 2009, then 2010, then 2011, then 2012, then 2013, then 2014. Oops, even FOC date will be missed this year. So, they will finally deliver in 2015, maybe. You explain how this is IAF's fault?

They are the victims, because they can't postpone winning a war. The officers couldn't get up comfortably in the morning and every 15 minutes go for a coffee break that lasts one hour while they were fighting there.
I salute soldiers for that....
Soldiers and Officers know first hand how important it is to not miss a deadline, but here DRDO is the world leader in missed deadlines.

Yes, for dumping money in the cesspit called DRDO.
take control then.... even being a customers atleast get involved...
Here. Read this article from 1999.

Light Combat Aircraft : Unduly Long Wait by Wg.Cdr. NK Pant (Retd.)

I had already posted this before, but IAF wanted a very simple aircraft. They didn't want digital FBW or a multimode radar. It was ADA which complicated the design and couldn't deliver.

I don't know where the article is but I read recently that in 1999 the Air Chief walked out of a presentation when the presenters told that ADA cannot deliver the LCA for another 20 years. They turned out to be true.

Defense forces has done nothing just kept sitting like all our govt deptt....
but at they end they started complaining...
They could have done alot even being a customer but they choose not to....
Instead of making effort to rectify the issue they followed the easy path...
They are not victims never....

p2prada

To tell you the truth, this low RCS concept works only in the '80s, that's when this "cheap stealth" concept came up. Since Europe couldn't spend on LO designs, they had to merely reduce RCS and bring an aircraft to the level of a missile.

What this did is reduced the ability of a radar to detect by half or even 4 times. Meaning, if a radar picks up a Su-27 at 100 Km, the same radar will pick up Rafale at 50 Km or 25 Km. This provided tactical advantages, especially when used with EW. To achieve this the RCS of a target should be reduced by 16 times, 32 times, 64 times and so on. So, if the RCS of a Su-27 was 15m2, they reduced that to less than 1m2 on Rafale.

When carrying weapons, it meant that the RCS of Rafale stays around 1m2 versus 15m2+ for Su-27, so detection range is half in a tactical environment. Once RCS is lowered, the dependence on ECM also reduces by a decent margin. So, the aircraft is able to hide itself better using lower power.

However radars have advanced so much that this type of a difference has become meaningless. What's required now is to reduce the RCS by thousands of times. The F-22 has been reduced to 0.0001m2 from the front, so if Rafale is 0.1m2, then F-22 will be detected at 62.5 times lesser distance than the distance Rafale is detected at. So, if the Su-35's radar picks up the Rafale from 250 Km, the F-22 will be detected by the same radar at 4 Km.

Of course, these values are not absolute and change based on many circumstances. But you get the idea.

So, to answer your question the LCA's and Rafale's RCS should be very similar in the whole scheme of things. Even if LCA is 5 times less stealthy than Rafale, LCA will be at 0.5m2 from the front and Rafale will be at 0.1m2. Add missiles to either and there won't be any difference.

In the near future RCS reduction will encompass other features as well, like using new materials for RAM, negate radar waves using ECM, plasma stealth etc. This will reduce the dependence on shaping, which is the case with the F-22.

If we have enough spares, we will be able to fight till it lasts. If we don't have enough spares, we will cannibalize older aircraft and keep the remaining fleet flying. If the US decides to lift the sanctions after the war we will be able to salvage most of the fleet, else they will be phased out like it was the case with Iran and the F-14s.

The Americans can be real arseholes when it comes to sanctions. They are not like the French or the Israeli. During the 1971 war, they sent shipments of spares to Pakistan in three ships even though the Pakistanis were sanctioned since the mid '60s while also allowing other countries to transfer American weapons to Pak arsenal. So, they just do whatever they want depending on their interests. If we are on their good sides, it should be fine, or else...

The chances of sanctions is small in the near future, as long as we don't test a nuke, but things change and we will have to live with that risk. The risk is more for other aircraft like C-130J, C-17, Apache and P-8I.

p2prada

Great how many are there and what is it utility? what are its benefit how faster they are .... They are also trying to sqeeeze it down.....Thats the tech cycle...
Now, you are just getting desperate.

8+12+20+20+20+20+20+20+20+20+20+20+20.......
You have taken that from 2017, not 2018, so I reduced one 20.
Total = 220. But In has ordered 45, so IAF's number is 175.

However the actual production number today is much lesser than what you quoted.

LCA Tejas: A `game changer' for air defence | Business Line
The HAL, which will manufacture these aircraft will provide 16 per year.
So, if we fix your current "equation"...
8+12+(16*10)=180.

Let's remove 45 for the navy. We have 135. Just three squadrons more than what IAF has said it will buy. But in doing so, the importance of the LCA to the navy is lost. Even then, the numbers have gone up from 4 Mk2 squadrons to 7 Mk2 squadrons, and considering production actually goes on until 2030.

Thats why we talk about MK2 and even MK3 but u are stuck.....
Let's get FOC for Mk1 first. They are still ground testing SP-1 which should have been delivered in March.

:help::help: you need help man
You have nothing to argue now, you didn't have anything before either, just hypernationalist BS.

Yeah thats what i am saying instead of asking why dont you only make sure that the work is done....safety first.....
How do I do that? By tying you to the chair? You are no longer arguing. You've become irritating now.

you compared war as game which was shocking.....
There is only one winner, like in a game. Yeah, it is shocking to people who have no clue.

that is exactly what needs to be changed...... no more customer they have there interest involved they should be parteners....
As i have said seeing that nothing is happening still gonna sit is also not good....
That's not how it works. The other partner, ADA, should actually do some work.

you r not getting me I give a damm about Rafale .... who cares even if its teh best a/c for world till its worst for me....
Too bad IAF is a professional force. They will choose Rafale over LCA any day.

I salute soldiers for that....
Hence they are not to blame.

take control then.... even being a customers atleast get involved...
They can't take control. IAF tried to do that only three years ago and they were not allowed to.

IAF wants an Air Marshal to head HAL | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
He said IAF spends around 70 per cent of its budget for the PSU and therefore it should have a say in the affairs of the largest aerospace company in the country.
If neither the govt nor HAL accepts, what will IAF do.

IAF can't get involved if ADA cannot deliver.

You are basically saying that before we attempt to go to the moon for the first time, we should first visit the moon. Oxymoron.

Defense forces has done nothing just kept sitting like all our govt deptt....
but at they end they started complaining...
They could have done alot even being a customer but they choose not to....
Instead of making effort to rectify the issue they followed the easy path...
They are not victims never....
You have zero knowledge about anything related to the military or the DRDO. There is no point in continuing this. See ya.

Pulkit

Country flag
I might not have any idea about defense forces and you are expert...
IAF also wanted to be a part of dcision makin gin DRDO I am asking no different...
Why did they realise that just recently?

SOldiers are not to be blamed the administration the elite of defense forces decision making bodies are to be blamed ...

If you say a soldier is a victim i will agree but defense forces elite naaaah....

getting irritated is not a good sign....

As yo wish cya...

Score 1-0....

hope after MK2 you will b back to help me make it 2-0.....
bbye from here ....

THE END.....

Now, you are just getting desperate.

You have taken that from 2017, not 2018, so I reduced one 20.
Total = 220. But In has ordered 45, so IAF's number is 175.

However the actual production number today is much lesser than what you quoted.

LCA Tejas: A `game changer' for air defence | Business Line

So, if we fix your current "equation"...
8+12+(16*10)=180.

Let's remove 45 for the navy. We have 135. Just three squadrons more than what IAF has said it will buy. But in doing so, the importance of the LCA to the navy is lost. Even then, the numbers have gone up from 4 Mk2 squadrons to 7 Mk2 squadrons, and considering production actually goes on until 2030.

Let's get FOC for Mk1 first. They are still ground testing SP-1 which should have been delivered in March.

You have nothing to argue now, you didn't have anything before either, just hypernationalist BS.

How do I do that? By tying you to the chair? You are no longer arguing. You've become irritating now.

There is only one winner, like in a game. Yeah, it is shocking to people who have no clue.

That's not how it works. The other partner, ADA, should actually do some work.

Too bad IAF is a professional force. They will choose Rafale over LCA any day.

Hence they are not to blame.

They can't take control. IAF tried to do that only three years ago and they were not allowed to.

IAF wants an Air Marshal to head HAL | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

If neither the govt nor HAL accepts, what will IAF do.

IAF can't get involved if ADA cannot deliver.

You are basically saying that before we attempt to go to the moon for the first time, we should first visit the moon. Oxymoron.

You have zero knowledge about anything related to the military or the DRDO. There is no point in continuing this. See ya.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Why rafale is a Big Mistake- bharath karnad article in 25th july indian express a must read for people expecting IAF to bring home the trophy with rafale.

As per the article The cost of east rafale is expected to be above 209 million dollars per piece with short maintanence contract!!!!

Thts why it couldnot win a single contract from countries that have more GDP per capita than india like brazil, Canada, Norway, Netherlands, south korea, Singapore.

Uk is getting 5th gen F-35 vertical take off landing version at a much lower price of 165 million dollars per piece !!!!

An additional order of 50 or 60 Su-30 MKI with robust funding and expansion of production line and manpower in R&D, production makes rafale deal superfluous for IAF.

Rafale will add another logistics line for IAf at a prohibitive cost!!! Even the French airforce is cutting down rafale orders for its air force !!! and expects Indians to pick up the bill.

The deal is a financial disaster for IAF and sound the death knell for the indian mil aviation industry with useless order numbers for tejas mk2!!! On the same lines marut was retired with a token order number from IAF.

Arun jaitley taken aback by the cost of deal asked for numbers to be reduced to 80 and IAF accepted in a jiffy, showing that there is no deep strategic need for rafale!!!

the three tier ai force structure advocated by IAF(all of a sudden after 2004 when NDA govt opened up the straight 126 mirage-2000 request by IAF into MMRCA tender fearing corruption allegation!!!)

So there was no need for the three tier air force as late as 2004 and now all of a sudden we need a three tier airforce!!!

Rafale is nothing but a financial disaster waiting to happen to IAf which will drastically reduce IAF squadron strength (because we could induct 5 tejas mk-2 for th ost of each rafale!!!)

There is nothing that rafale can do on its own that can not be done by Tejas mk-2, Su-30 MKI and the future FGFA.

This is why indian weapons need reservation.because ten only proper and timely funding will be delivered to indigenous projects with full service backing . other wise the same Arjun vs T-90 and rafale vs tejas mk-2+Su-30 MKI saga will repeat again and again leading to fading away of any hope for indian mil aviation industry.

The civilians at the top never understand that all the so called deep TOT deals are mere humbug. because no one deliver their cutting edge techniques to the other guy for a few fighters more purchase. It is their IP right and they will never part with it.

Despite the deep TOT fo Su-30 MKI we are practically doing all the stuff for tejas mk-1 and mk-2 all by ourselves right from the nose cone to the sorting out the brakes issue.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

Besides tejas engines we are importing many critical stuff from US including attack helos big budget naval reconnaissance aircrats like orions and globemasters,

After 10 years when the fighter comesup for mid life upgrade we can change the US engine with indigenous engine. In a decade's time lets hope GTRE gets its act together provided govt gives enough funding,and recruits suitable man power wit attractive private sector like pay scales.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
@p2prada

And before the hypernationalistic morons who think they only have the moral right to critise stuff jump with crap about other stuff DRDO achieved, please take a moment to consider that they are just doing their damn job for which they are fully paid with the tax money we give. And getting something done does not mean they can sit their asses on other projects which are also paid from our tax money with no accountability

PS: @p2prada , Is there any significance to the number 10000 ? Seriously, considering the abuse you get here, its a wonder why you have lasted here so long. Anyway, I just liked all the posts in this thread because they are very informative and also for acknowledging your good work here before you leave. Thanks for the info:thumb:
There are no questions about asking accountability about our tax payer's money squandered in DRDO projects. It helps bring objectivity and informed debate based on knowledgeable public opinion in critical field of strategic issues.

there are many labs which function well. And many don't. Piece meal funding due to the lack of foresight on civilians and sly hand of import lobbies too play a part.

And many talented young eng graduates shun PSUs and govt research organizations like DRDO for better opportunities and richer fashionable lifestyles.

But still there are many who stay back fight the system and deliver the results, like in Arjun , tejas and many other programs. They should not be crucified on public forums like this. Because many youngsters coming here for knowledge will think that all PSUs and govt labs are bad.

The mars mission of ISRO fires the imagination of young kids and motivate them to join it in future. In the same way successful products from at least few dept s of DRDO will motivate youngsters to join DRDO atleast in those successful labs. Painting everything with black paint bucket is running a prejudiced campaign, nothing else.

but that does not mean that the methods of arguments used by the guy you just congratulated as fair. Just few days ago he lied in tejas-IV thread that it was ADA which is going to pay for all the engines of production versions of Tejas and the HAL cost of 162 crore for tejas mk-1 does not include tejas engines!!!

which was refuted with proof by another member , giving GE official link that it was HAL that is buying engines for Tejas,

And imported systems are always optimized for their home environs. In electronics of critical systems like tanks, jet engine thrusts and air frame designs in planes are optimized for their home country environs. They don't always produce the expected results here.

For example due to the hotter climates here , which reduce engine trust by 10 percent and wing lift by 12 percent, Mig-21s are dangerous for young pilots in lower atmosphere and landings.

Since it was designed as a nothing but an interceptor of high altitude world war two era massed era bombers with no concern for range and pay load, it is dangerously unstable once two thirds of its fuel is consumed.

It came without even a radar to india. Its original mission was to high fly and fast according to ground based instructions and sight the enemy targets based on those instructions and then engage them. It was designed without any consideration for a BVR fight, or multi role specs and stand alone operations.

S it was to fly fast according to ground control and engage the enemy fighters or bombers on visual cue. Only in upgrades a small 45 km tracking range radar was added as an after thought.

It can not even sustain its top speed of mach 2 more than a few minutes. By then all its fuel will be consumed and engine life would hve been considerably reduced. And neither is it agile at these speeds.

Top speeds are superfluous as Missiles fly at mach 4, there is no point in imposing weight penalty for structural strength due to higher topspeeds , which can be supported only for a minute or two, Thats why 209 million dollar per pice rafale with two engines is limited to a top speed of mach 1.8 lesser than Mig-21.Can that guy say that rafale is inferior to Mig-21?

Because nowadays instantaneous turn rate (ITR) is what counts. fighters have to suddenly change their direction to avoid the missile which can go faster at mach 4, but can't turn as sudden as a fighter.

That's why fighters like rafale gripen,and tejas are built with relaxed static stability tail less delta airframe that gives the best ITR.

In contrast tejas was built as a true multi role fighter with a naval version. It can carry twice the fuel of mig-21, twice the weapon loads of mig-21, see targets twice the range of Mig-21, fire missiles twice the distance of Mig-21, but with an empty weight only marginally higher than Mig-21!!!

It follows 4 channel digital fly by wire , low RCS, relaxed static stability airframe(more agility to counter air to air missiles) all of which are found on every latest 4.5th gen fighter like rafale which costs 5 times higher than tejas mk-2.

Simply tejas mk-2 takes the base line of IAF fighting capability to a level closer to latest F-16 version. According to test pilot Suneet Krishna's version even in mk-1 version tejas is superior to Mirage-2000 upgraded with 45 million dollar per plane upgrade by IAF.

To say mig-21 is superior because it has higher speeds than rafale and tejas is like saying that my cycle is more faster with carrying loads compared to your tractor.It makes no sense.

this guy knows that fully well. But not many people who are not informed about aerodynamics can understand the nuances.he uses it to ply his fatally flawed trade saying tejas can not achieve mig-21 top speeds so its design is draggy.

In the same way lets take range, rafale with no loads other than two drop tanks flew from france to reunion islands needing 5 refuelling for 10000 Kms is the official press release. So the range for this particular combo comes to 2000 Km.

In the same way PIB on tejas mk1 IOC-2 says that tejas can fly to destinations over 1700 Km non stop(we don know whether this is with or wihout two drop tanks).By that time tejas has validated only two external fuel tanks like the rafale config for the above mentioned flight.Even if we take the worstcase scenario that this 1700 Km range is with two external fuel tanks, tejas's 1700 Km ferry range compares not so bad with rafale.

Tejas has lesser internal fuel than rafale. So naturally a shortage of 300 Km is expected. So it simply shows that tejas air frame is as efficient in drag management as that of rafale. but this guy is insisting for years that tejas has wrongly designed draggy air frame, by cleverly citing a CEMILAC report which pertains to flight speeds above mach1!!!!

For laymen this may seem correct. But the supersonic wave drag in speeds higher than sound has no relation to a fighters ITR, STR and range, Why? Because all of these are under taken at speeds below sound, where there is no supersonic wave drag!!!

Fighters go supersonic only to release their air to air missiles for higher ranges and then rivert back to sub sonic flight. Only F-22 can keep on flying most of its flight profile at speeds above mach 1. Others don't do.

For more than two years he is using this stupid piece of "shortcomings of tejas "(all fictional!!!) to pose as an aerodynamic expert attuned to the needs of IAF!!!

I being a BE graduate was tired sick of this stuff , silenly watching him frothing at the mouth with al lously howls of accusations for more than two years. Then got fed up and stuck into him as it is an insult to one's basic intelligence to see a forum meant for indian defenc to be degraded with totally BS false claims.

T-90 is less finished product than arjun at present with crew fainting cramped internal compartment not suited to indian desert theatre and hot Punjab plains which is its primarily place of duty. Its electronics pack up in the heat which were rectified after it was bought in hundreds. Still the IA has not succeeded in fitting an AC to keep the crew alive for prolonged periods. these issues came to the fore only in operation parakram time with army sending an SOS.

Su-30 MKis frequently encounter engine failures and its avionics go balnk in midair , a couple crashed due to bugs in fly by wire tech. But it is being worked upon , that does not mean it is an inferior product. The same standards to be applied for all india producs too.

The delays in FOc for tejas is no concern as it is made out to be by many journos. F-35 after 100 planes in sevice yet to get even its IOC!!! FOC wil be only after 500. PAF has inducted JF-17s with no concept of IOC and FOC.

Compared to that ADA has fully certified tejas for reliable operations and air to air close combat with R-73 missiles in FOC -2 itself.

money was paid for 40 Su-30s in billions of dollars in 1990s. What we got was non weaponized 40 Su-30s which were not upto MKI standards. IAF "honed their flying tactics " on them and late they were returned for newer Su-30 MKI.

Mirage-2000 had nothing but a gun for three years after induction into IAF.

SO facts need to be presented in a logical manner for a knowledgeable debate. That guy's motive is light years way from that.

Forward the above arguments as yours and ask that guy to reply with multi quotes, you will know what is his motive.

he is not alone, there are many guys like this in forums and posin as defence journos with a sole aim of spreading misinformation.

Just like te mother in law of Tejas who wrote the piece "The ails of LCA" in his blog. All the unknown comments in that blog are mine and from another member here, he is yet to give a coherent reply to any one of them. Guess what, this mother in law is a retired IIT mech engineering professor!!!!

Pulkit

Country flag
Bravo....
What ever you wrote is flawless....
Just one typo i think u did ...
Its not FOC-2 but IOC-2....

There are no questions about asking accountability about our tax payer's money squandered in DRDO projects. It helps bring objectivity and informed debate based on knowledgeable public opinion in critical field of strategic issues.

there are many labs which function well. And many don't. Piece meal funding due to the lack of foresight on civilians and sly hand of import lobbies too play a part.

And many talented young eng graduates shun PSUs and govt research organizations like DRDO for better opportunities and richer fashionable lifestyles.

but that does not mean that the methods of arguments used by the guy you just congratulated as fair. Just few days ago he lied in tejas-IV thread that it was ADA which is going to pay for all the engines of production versions of Tejas and the HAL cost of 162 crore for tejas mk-1 does not include tejas engines!!!

which was refuted with proof by another member , giving GE official link that it was HAL that is buying engines for Tejas,

And imported systems are always optimized for their home environs. In electronics of critical systems like tanks, jet engine thrusts and air frame designs in planes are optimized for their home country environs. They don't always produce the expected results here.

For example due to the hotter climates here , which reduce engine trust by 10 percent and wing lift by 12 percent, Mig-21s are dangerous for young pilots in lower atmosphere and landings.

Since it was designed as a nothing but an interceptor of high altitude world war two era massed era bombers with no concern for range and pay load, it is dangerously unstable once two thirds of its fuel is consumed.

It came without even a radar to india. Its original mission was to high fly and fast according to ground based instructions and sight the enemy targets based on those instructions and then engage them. It was designed without any consideration for a BVR fight, or multi role specs and stand alone operations.

S it was to fly fast according to ground control and engage the enemy fighters or bombers on visual cue. Only in upgrades a small 45 km tracking range radar was added as an after thought.

It can not even sustain its top speed of mach 2 more than a few minutes. By then all its fuel will be consumed and engine life would hve been considerably reduced. And neither is it agile at these speeds.

Top speeds are superfluous as Missiles fly at mach 4, there is no point in imposing weight penalty for structural strength due to higher topspeeds , which can be supported only for a minute or two, Thats why 209 million dollar per pice rafale with two engines is limited to a top speed of mach 1.8 lesser than Mig-21.Can that guy say that rafale is inferior to Mig-21?

Because nowadays instantaneous turn rate (ITR) is what counts. fighters have to suddenly change their direction to avoid the missile which can go faster at mach 4, but can't turn as sudden as a fighter.

That's why fighters like rafale gripen,and tejas are built with relaxed static stability tail less delta airframe that gives the best ITR.

In contrast tejas was built as a true multi role fighter with a naval version. It can carry twice the fuel of mig-21, twice the weapon loads of mig-21, see targets twice the range of Mig-21, fire missiles twice the distance of Mig-21, but with an empty weight only marginally higher than Mig-21!!!

It follows 4 channel digital fly by wire , low RCS, relaxed static stability airframe(more agility to counter air to air missiles) all of which are found on every latest 4.5th gen fighter like rafale which costs 5 times higher than tejas mk-2.

Simply tejas mk-2 takes the base line of IAF fighting capability to a level closer to latest F-16 version. According to test pilot Suneet Krishna's version even in mk-1 version tejas is superior to Mirage-2000 upgraded with 45 million dollar per plane upgrade by IAF.

To say mig-21 is superior because it has higher speeds than rafale and tejas is like saying that my cycle is more faster with carrying loads compared to your tractor.It makes no sense.

this guy knows that fully well. But not many people who are not informed about aerodynamics can understand the nuances.he uses it to ply his fatally flawed trade saying tejas can not achieve mig-21 top speeds so its design is draggy.

In the same way lets take range, rafale with no loads other than two drop tanks flew from france to reunion islands needing 5 refuelling for 10000 Kms is the official press release. So the range for this particular combo comes to 2000 Km.

In the same way PIB on tejas mk1 IOC-2 says that tejas can fly to destinations over 1700 Km non stop(we don know whether this is with or wihout two drop tanks).By that time tejas has validated only two external fuel tanks like the rafale config for the above mentioned flight.Even if we take the worstcase scenario that this 1700 Km range is with two external fuel tanks, tejas's 1700 Km ferry range compares not so bad with rafale.

Tejas has lesser internal fuel than rafale. So naturally a shortage of 300 Km is expected. So it simply shows that tejas air frame is as efficient in drag management as that of rafale. but this guy is insisting for years that tejas has wrongly designed draggy air frame, by cleverly citing a CEMILAC report which pertains to flight speeds above mach1!!!!

For laymen this may seem correct. But the supersonic wave drag in speeds higher than sound has no relation to a fighters ITR, STR and range, Why? Because all of these are under taken at speeds below sound, where there is no supersonic wave drag!!!

Fighters go supersonic only to release their air to air missiles for higher ranges and then rivert back to sub sonic flight. Only F-22 can keep on flying most of its flight profile at speeds above mach 1. Others don't do.

For more than two years he is using this stupid piece of "shortcomings of tejas "(all fictional!!!) to pose as an aerodynamic expert attuned to the needs of IAF!!!

I being a BE graduate was tired sick of this stuff , silenly watching him frothing at the mouth with al lously howls of accusations for more than two years. Then got fed up and stuck into him as it is an insult to one's basic intelligence to see a forum meant for indian defenc to be degraded with totally BS false claims.

T-90 is less finished product than arjun at present with crew fainting cramped internal compartment not suited to indian desert theatre and hot Punjab plains which is its primarily place of duty. Its electronics pack up in the heat which were rectified after it was bought in hundreds. Still the IA has not succeeded in fitting an AC to keep the crew alive for prolonged periods. these issues came to the fore only in operation parakram time with army sending an SOS.

Su-30 MKis frequently encounter engine failures and its avionics go balnk in midair , a couple crashed due to bugs in fly by wire tech. But it is being worked upon , that does not mean it is an inferior product. The same standards to be applied for all india producs too.

The delays in FOc for tejas is no concern as it is made out to be by many journos. F-35 after 100 planes in sevice yet to get even its IOC!!! FOC wil be only after 500. PAF has inducted JF-17s with no concept of IOC and FOC.

Compared to that ADA has fully certified tejas for reliable operations and air to air close combat with R-73 missiles in FOC -2 itself.

money was paid for 40 Su-30s in billions of dollars in 1990s. What we got was non weaponized 40 Su-30s which were not upto MKI standards. IAF "honed their flying tactics " on them and late they were returned for newer Su-30 MKI.

Mirage-2000 had nothing but a gun for three years after induction into IAF.

SO facts need to be presented in a logical manner for a knowledgeable debate. That guy's motive is light years way from that.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
For the info of fake air marshals sitting at delhi, tejas mk-2 will have more or less the same ferry range of rafale with just a camera and few air to air missile if we take the rafale's reunion island flight as standard operational one.

The reason for slippages in time lines of tejas has already been done thousand and one times in many threads. Compared to the time line of rafale, typhoon , pakfa and gripen program there is nothing amiss here, if we take the frequent requirement creep by IAF into account.

If at all ADA delivered that inferior fighter IAF asked in 1980s by 1990s it would have met the same fate of various HPTs and maruts developed by HAL. new air chief in late 1990s would have said that this plane is inferior to mirage-2000 and gripen C, SO lets by them instead. And tejas would have been parked in HAL's museum like the brand new marut. Would it have been any different for any monkey mig-21 version of tejas in 2000?

F-16s were being introduced in PAF, PLAF was getting mig-29 versions and various flankers. the pre BVR, multirole era for which the Mig-21 was built was over by 1990s. Fly by wire RSS multi role fighters were being inducted everywhere. Would IAF accept a mig-21 type simple tejas in 2000. Answer flat No. Just like they saidn on arjun times have changed and now we are looking for FMBT. they would have said that times have changed and buy the latest stuff to bring home the trophy. That's why the tech latest tejas built by ADA even though late is still relevant now.

In 2004 IAF chiefs said that 126 mirage-2000s were enough for MMRCA. Now other than rafale nothing will help us to retain our edge against PAF is the line peddled.

Last edited:

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
does here someone said that mig21 better than tejas? Hmmm. Many here thinks themselves expert but don't know name of planes.... Its tejas not lca....
hf24 marut has defeated mig21 in race but does it says we should induct hf24 marut instead all those modern fighters having low speed (tejas, rafale etc.)
@Pulkit good posts but here are some who do not accepts the truth.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
there is only one thing that rafale can do comparable to tejas mk2, mki, fgfa, amca.
rafale can fill pockets hugely of french which other lacks

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Broadsword

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signalling decisively that India would place greater focus on building, not just buying, defence equipment, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has massively boosted funding to the Defence Research & Development Organisation. The DRDO's capital allocation of Rs 5,975 crore, provided in February in the United Progressive Alliance's interim budget, has been hiked by almost 60 per cent to Rs 9,298 crore, the largest-ever raise in the DRDO's history.

Coming on top of the DRDO's revenue allocation of Rs 5,985 crore, the R&D budget totals up to Rs 15,283 crore, which is almost 7 per cent of the Rs 2,29,000 crore defence budget. The DRDO, which has been receiving about 5 per cent of the defence budget has long pleaded for 7-8 per cent.

Simultaneously, Mr Jaitley more than doubled the capital allocation for the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), which will be used to modernise the defence ministry's network of 41 factories that manufactures arms, ammunition and equipment for the military. The OFB's allocation of Rs 530 crore has been raised to Rs 1,207 crore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At last the UPA days of low DRDO funding seems to be coming to an end. Good riddance.

Broadsword: DRDO, MoD say India produces two-thirds of its arms

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conventional wisdom has long held that India --- the world's biggest defence importer --- produces just 30 per cent of its defence equipment needs, while importing 70 per cent. On Monday, the Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO) chief, Dr Avinash Chander, flatly rejected this figure, declaring that over 65 per cent of India's defence requirements are produced indigenously.

Speaking in New Delhi at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), Chander declared: "If you take the last seven years' (procurement) sanctions, more than 50 per cent of them were for indigenous items."

A day later, on Tuesday, the defence minister gave parliament an even rosier picture. Replying to a question, Mr Arun Jaitley stated, "Over a three year period, i.e., 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13, 69% of the total capital and revenue requirement of Services (sic) was met through indigenous procurement."

This includes both capital procurement (i.e. new equipment), as well as revenue (i.e. running) expenditure. Looking only at capital expenditure, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) claims more than 57 per cent is paid out to Indian vendors. On Tuesday, Mr Jaitley told parliament, ""The proportion of expenditure in respect of payments to foreign vendors to the total expenditure on defence equipment for Capital Acquisition during the financial year 2013-14 is 42.7% for three services".

These figures could be telling only half the story. Often, Indian contractors, who are paid money by the MoD, disburse a portion to foreign vendors for assemblies, sub-assemblies and components that go into the "Indian" equipment they supply the military. It remains unclear where this money is accounted --- paid to Indian vendors, or to foreign vendors.

This uncertainty leads to contradictory figures. For example, the DRDO chief says that the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) is two-third Indian, and indigenisation will rise to 80 per cent when the Tejas gets its indigenous radar. Meanwhile an audit report by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) had alleged that the LCA is 90 per cent imported.

Responding to a Business Standard question about this contradiction, Chander cited the example of the Tejas mission computer, a key piece of software. He said, "Every component in the mission computer is imported. But hardware is not the dominant cost. If the mission computer costs Rs 50 lakhs, the hardware would cost just Rs 10 lakhs. The remaining cost is intellectual property --- the design and software, which is done in India."

Chander further pointed out that India's ballistic missile systems, like the Agni-series, are 85 per cent indigenous, while the military's radar systems are also highly indigenised. The same is true for most of the navy's warships, he said.

Even so, the DRDO chief acknowledged four weaknesses that would have to be addressed to reduce defence imports. The first is engines for aircraft, ships and land vehicles. Chander said a "national mission" is under way to develop a 1500 horsepower diesel engine. Meanwhile a multi-agency task force, including DRDO, Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, was exploring the development of a gas turbine for aircraft, ships and railway engines.

The second major weakness is in materials technology. India does not produce aluminium-lithium alloys for engines; silicon wafers for electronics and polymers. Thirdly, India has not built "seekers", components that help a missile lock onto target. Sending out a signal to foreign companies, Chander said, "We are looking for international collaboration to set up the capability in India."

The fourth major weakness is in defence R&D infrastructure. "In the entire country we have only one 46-year-old, supersonic wind tunnel at the National Aerospace Laboratory. If it stops, every aeronautics programme in the country will come to a halt. We do not have a high altitude engine test facility. We have only one missile test range (at Chandipur, in Orissa) which is coming under pressure from environmentalists and local economic interests."

Chander also pleaded for an electronic warfare (EW) test range, a cyber test range, a floating test range for torpedoes and a range for testing anti-ballistic missile (ABM) systems. Finally, precision fabrication facilities are needed for state-of-the-art optics and electronics, he said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Pulkit

Country flag
Chinese themselves accept there tank s not the best but they like it... They have all the money many folds as compared to India Then why are they doing that?
The answer is simple SELF SUFFICIENT..

On the other hand we know ours is the better one when compared with option available but we still choose to look the other side...
Not the best but we like it, says PLA general of Type 96A tank | idrw.org

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles