Indian spy's role alleged in Lankan president's election defeat

vram

Country flag
Hmm was Doval cooking something after the Chinese submarine visits??

Insight: Indian spy's role alleged in Sri Lankan president's election defeat | Reuters

Sri Lanka expelled the Colombo station chief of India's spy agency in the run-up to this month's presidential election, political and intelligence sources said, accusing him of helping the opposition oust President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

An Indian foreign ministry spokesman denied any expulsion and said that transfers were routine decisions. Rajapaksa, voted out of office in the Jan 8 election, told Reuters he did not know all the facts while the new government in Colombo has said it is aware of the reports but cannot confirm them.

But several sources in both Colombo and New Delhi said India was asked to recall the agent in December for helping gather support for joint opposition candidate Maithripala Sirisena after persuading him to ditch Rajapaksa's cabinet.

A sketchy report in Sri Lanka's Sunday Times newspaper on December 28 said that "links with the common opposition" had cost India's Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) station chief his job in Colombo.

India has often been involved in the internal politics of the small island nation off its southern coast - it sent troops there in 1987 in a botched effort to broker peace between the government and Tamil Tiger rebels.

Rajapaksa's unexpected defeat after two terms in office coincided with growing concern in India that it was losing influence in Sri Lanka because of the former president's tilt toward regional rival China.

The concern turned to alarm late last year when Rajapaksa allowed two Chinese submarines to dock in Sri Lanka without warning New Delhi as he should have under a standing agreement, the sources said.

Sirisena, the new president, has said he will visit New Delhi on his first foreign trip next month and has said India is the "first, main concern" of his foreign policy.

An Indian official said the RAW agent was recalled after complaints that he had worked with Sri Lanka's usually fractious opposition parties to agree on a joint contender for the election. Then, he was accused of facilitating meetings to encourage several lawmakers, among them Sirisena, to defect from Rajapaksa's party, the official said.

The agent was accused of playing a role in convincing the main leader of the opposition and former prime minister Ranil Wickremasinghe not to contest against Rajapaksa in the election and stand aside for someone who could be sure of winning, said the officer and a Sri Lankan lawmaker who also maintains close contacts with India.

The agent was also in touch with former president Chandrika Kumaratunga, who was a key player in convincing Sirisena to stand, said the officer and the lawmaker, who also confirmed that the agent had been asked to leave.

"They actively were involved, talking to Ranil, getting those things organised, talking to Chandrika," the lawmaker told Reuters.

"CERTAIN THINGS YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT"

Wickremasinghe, who is now prime minister again in Sirisena's government, met "two or three times" with the man identified as the agent in the months before the vote, as well as with the Indian high commissioner, or ambassador, the prime minister's spokesman said.

"They discussed the current political situation," Wickremasinghe's spokesman said, but he denied that the Indians had advised him. "He does not know if he advised other politicians."It was not clear if Wickremasinghe was aware at the time that he was meeting with an intelligence official. India's RAW officers are usually given diplomatic posts when assigned to foreign missions.

Former president Kumaratunga did not respond to requests for comment.

Rajapaksa declined to confirm the involvement of India in the campaign against him.

"I don't know, I won't suspect anybody until I get my real facts," he said at his party headquarters.

"There are certain things you don't talk about," a close associate of the Rajapaksa family said, but added that "there were clear signs of a deep campaign by foreign elements."

Sri Lanka's then defence secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa - a brother of the former president - complained about the agent's activities to Indian National Security Adviser Ajit Doval in November when Doval was visiting the island nation for a defence seminar, the Indian official said.

Another Indian official, who monitors the region for security threats, said New Delhi had been watching Beijing's growing influence and heavy investments in Sri Lanka under Rajapaksa, who visited China seven times since becoming president in 2005.

But India was stunned and angry last year when the Chinese submarines docked in Sri Lanka on two separate occasions, a step New Delhi saw as part of Beijing's "string of pearls" strategy to secure a foothold in South Asia and maritime access through the Indian Ocean.

"The turning point in the relationship was the submarines. There was real anger," the Indian security official said.

Indian military officials said that New Delhi reminded Sri Lanka it was obliged to inform its neighbours about such port calls under a maritime pact, and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi raised the issue with Rajapaksa at a meeting in New York.

In a possible sign of shifting allegiances, India's top envoy in Colombo, High Commissioner Y.K. Sinha, presented Sirisena with a large bouquet of flowers just hours after the results were announced on Jan 9. China's ambassador was only able to meet the new president six days later.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I doubt change of presidential candidates will change the Srilankan foreign policy vis-a-vis China. The report makes no sense.

Last edited:

vram

Country flag
Can the new president guarantee blocking the chinese inroads into Srilankan key sectors at India's expense?

if not then the report is nonsense.
Its part of his election manifesto to stop immediately construction of the 1.2 billion Chinese port and container facility near Colombo. He has also started relooking at all the Chinese loans due to the exorbitant interest rates.
Whether it is non sense or not is up to your interpretations which you are free to make. But a person no lesser than Wickremasinghe who is the current Prime Minister of Sri Lanka has accepted that he and Sirisena met with this 'Agent' three or four times over the course of the past two months and solicited political advice. Also the former army Chief Fosenka has also gone on record to state that no anti India activities will be allowed 6 days back. He is also part of this grand coalition assembled.

my opinion here is that a sudden game has been played successfully to its natural end and One pearl in the Chinese string has been quitely dislodged. Only after the change of guard the foreign relationship stance of Sri Lanka has drastically changed in a matter of weeks. I think the Chinese are still scrambling to evaluate what has happened.
from above article -
In a possible sign of shifting allegiances, India's top envoy in Colombo, High Commissioner Y.K. Sinha, presented Sirisena with a large bouquet of flowers just hours after the results were announced on Jan 9. China's ambassador was only able to meet the new president six days later.
Sirisena's scrutiny: Sri Lanka's China-backed projects hang in balance - Nikkei Asian Review

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Its part of his election manifesto to stop immediately construction of the 1.2 billion Chinese port and container facility near Colombo. He has also started relooking at all the Chinese loans due to the exorbitant interest rates.

Sirisena's scrutiny: Sri Lanka's China-backed projects hang in balance - Nikkei Asian Review
Their Srilankan policy vis -a - vis China will not change , India is not opposing any economic development in Srilanka.

This report is aimed at making India an anti Srilanka entity. And also the report is aimed at picturing India as the string puller of the things happening in Srilanka. If India is that much powerful in Srilanka then this expulsion might not have happened.

First they tried to put India in the back foot by expelling or asking the Indian spy official to go back and then they are alleging India as if India has done a crime.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Such excuses become essential for a losing candidate to save face.

I wonder if Srisena could be bowled over to defect by Inbdians. Rajapakse was riding the crest of confidence that he will win so much so he called election well before his term expired.

Imagine his Minister. Sirisend quitting the expected winner just on the alleged nudge from India! What fantasy weaving! :shocked:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Such excuses become essential for a losing candidate to save face.

I wonder if Srisena could be bowled over to defect by Inbdians. Rajapakse was riding the crest of confidence that he will win so much so he called election well before his term expired.

Imagine his Minister. Sirisend quitting the expected winner just on the alleged nudge from India! What fantasy weaving! :shocked:
Exactly Mr @Ray when the president and his supporter of his economy know that this time people are asking for change, they will choose one of their deputy and make him win the election. The power will stay with them but only the change of face.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
So let me try to follow this: India helped the current dispensation come to power, thus the previous one expelled him in the run-up to the elections; so now that the objective has been met, why isn't this station chief being reinstated?

I am sure agencies all over the world try to influence elections and I am sure India acted in their own interests, but I don't believe its as easy to do anything significant in this day and age. Maybe the CIA and KGB of the world used to do this to small nations all the time during the cold war but I don't think it continues to any significant extent today.

Also, if India was playing a role, don't you think China would try to counter? Afterall, they have made significant investments in Sri Lanka.

All this seems to be an exagerration, but hey, if India pulled this off ...:hail:

DingDong

Country flag
So let me try to follow this: India helped the current dispensation come to power, thus the previous one expelled him in the run-up to the elections; so now that the objective has been met, why isn't this station chief being reinstated?

I am sure agencies all over the world try to influence elections and I am sure India acted in their own interests, but I don't believe its as easy to do anything significant in this day and age. Maybe the CIA and KGB of the world used to do this to small nations all the time during the cold war but I don't think it continues to any significant extent today.

Also, if India was playing a role, don't you think China would try to counter? Afterall, they have made significant investments in Sri Lanka.

All this seems to be an exagerration, but hey, if India pulled this off ...:hail:
Indian agencies have already given a bloody nose to the Chinese in Nepal. Hence we must not doubt that India could pull one off in Sri Lanka as well.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Well few days back some indian where telling that come 2019 and NaMo would face same situation ... as NaMo and ex Rajapaksa where good friends

I mean this Newspaper are ready shifting blame .It looks like new president wont be palying along their tunes

vram

Country flag
I don't doubt the ability of Indian agencies, I just see holes in this story. Anyway, interesting opinion of SL PM:

Mahinda Rajapaksa Played China Against India, Says Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremasinghe

US is also happy it seems:

US Lauds Steps Taken by New Lankan Government
He cannot come outright and say that I will support India more than China. Firstly its not good diplomatic language..no countries leader barring few will do that. He still has a lot of chinese money/tentacles to be sorted out. He CANNOT afford to alienate the largest foreign investor and Lankan currency support publicly.Especially when he is leading a shaky coalition and just now elected on a anti corruption/dynasty and development plank just like Modi. He cannot afford to question economic investments even from China just like that. Its not goos economics.
But read between the Lines and each and every statement or pronouncement he makes on foreign policy he makes has a distinctly India tilt. We can expect to see more and more of the contractor going to Indian companies. Many companies having thriving business in Lanka like IOC,Apollo, L&T had difficulty with red tape deliberately during Rajpaksa era.
Alteast he is the most pro India president to be elected in the past 15 years. And he also has the support of the significant tamil voting minority.
Lets see how this all pans out. But I am pretty sure New Delhi is not loosing a sleep contrary to Beijing.

Last edited:

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
He cannot come outright and say that I will support India more than China. Firstly its not good diplomatic language..no countries leader barring few will do that. He still has a lot of chinese money/tentacles to be sorted out. He CANNOT afford to alienate the largest foreign investor and Lankan currency support publicly.Especially when he is leading a shaky coalition and just now elected on a anti corruption/dynasty and development plank just like Modi. He cannot afford to question economic investments even from China just like that. Its not goos economics.
But read between the Lines and each and every statement or pronouncement he makes on foreign policy he makes has a distinctly India tilt. We can expect to see more and more of the contractor going to Indian companies. Many companies having thriving business in Lanka like IOC,Apollo, L&T had difficulty with red tape deliberately during Rajpaksa era.
Alteast he is the most pro India president to be elected in the past 15 years. And he also has the support of the significant tamil voting minority.
Lets see how this all pans out. But I am pretty sure New Delhi is not loosing a sleep contrary to Beijing.
I agree with your post and understand that no SL leader in power can come out and openly alienate China, though allowing a Chinese nuke sub to dock in their harbour was directly alienating India, a decision taken by the last government.

Countering Chinese influence in SL was a must for India and if they did, great. I just don't entirely buy the story as to the extent of Indian or Chinese influence their.

grampiguy

This is not a news item but a paid report which is aimed at discrediting a genuine victory into a conspiracy theory. Rajapaksa will try to milk India angle to show himself a victim in coming parliamentary polls.

If India was so active in Sri Lanka, how come it neither was able to stop the submarines from coming nor get anything out of its first offer to Mahinda. During Rajapaksa dictatorship, if any Indian role would have emerged, Mahinda could even get Indians killed in Colombo. This is a lame excuse to deny the fact that common Sri Lankans were sick of growing corruption and crass nepotism of Rajapaksa family, which was busy creating a dynasty.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
This is not a news item but a paid report which is aimed at discrediting a genuine victory into a conspiracy theory. Rajapaksa will try to milk India angle to show himself a victim in coming parliamentary polls.

If India was so active in Sri Lanka, how come it neither was able to stop the submarines from coming nor get anything out of its first offer to Mahinda. During Rajapaksa dictatorship, if any Indian role would have emerged, Mahinda could even get Indians killed in Colombo. This is a lame excuse to deny the fact that common Sri Lankans were sick of growing corruption and crass nepotism of Rajapaksa family, which was busy creating a dynasty.
Exactly !!

vram

Country flag
All your points are VALID and TRUE regarding the growing corruption and the thirst for change.

BUT if you had read the article completely you would see that what RAW is alleged to have done is create an alternative for Rajapaksa. Two months back read any article or tv show and anybody saying that there was an alternative for Rajapaksa who could stand against him would have been laughed at. If there was no VALID opposition WHO would all these people wanting change from corruption have voted for??
The article only states that all that the agent did, was to help in forming a grand coalition that includes the extreme left and the extreme right with the political weight of Kumaratunga behind it. It also goes on to state that the agent persuaded Sirisena to walk out and contest with the opposition and also helped in gathering support for him. This all happened in the last two months. After the submarine docking incident. The article clearly states that ,that was what has angered India the most as it was not informed as per treaty.And there is no way you can stop another countries sovereign rights to host the naval vessel of another nation no matter how active you are...All you can do is a reverse show of strength close to China's maritime border.

Hari Sud

Country flag
It probably did happen that Indian Spy Agency was helping the opposition to oust the thug and a mudered of Tamil people in Sri Lanka. But he was voted out by Sinhalese votes, where Indian influence is minimal, hence this story of Indian interference is less believable.

Again it makes me proud of RAW.

Nobody will believe this story later in the history. The only story which the history will record is that he asked the military to intervene on his behalf to keep him in power after it appeared to him that he had lost the elections.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I would like to believe the version where RAW chief is called back for being able to predict rajapakse's ouster.

vram

Country flag
And it has begun

Loosening Beijing embrace, Sri Lanka reviews China projects | Reuters

Reuters) - Sri Lanka's new government will review Chinese infrastructure projects awarded under the previous administration, a junior minister said, a move bound to please Indian and Western powers concerned about Beijing's access in the island state.

On Friday, the government said it would review a $1.5 billion port deal with China Communication Construction Co Ltd over concerns about the Chinese company getting land on a freehold basis in a high-security zone.
That port project had been of particular concern for India, the destination for the majority of the transshipment cargo through Colombo. India was furious with the last government after it allowed to a submarine to dock there twice.
AND Chinese have started showing thier 'Other' Face. Now the true cost of all these 'Loans' will be known.

De Silva said China had already started to discuss the issues "at the highest level of the government" and the new government would work on a project by project basis.

A Chinese embassy official in Colombo, however, said all the projects implemented had parliament approvals.

"The new government can review the projects, but it has no right to stop any project already implemented. If it goes before international law, the government will have to lose and pay all the debts," the official told Reuters on condition of anonymity.

grampiguy

Agreed that Indian agencies were trying to form a credible and strong opposition to Rajapaksa but so were the others - including Americans, British and as Rajapaksa alleged, even Norwegians. So how come suddenly Indian agencies became so strong that they single handedly ousted a dictator? Its nothing but outright exaggeration of Indian role for political gains in incoming parliamentary elections.

Remember, going by Rajapaksa's closeness to China, even Chinese agencies including MSS and its embassy were quite eager to see that Rajapaksa stays in power. The Chinese agencies not only used their spying activities but even used money -muscle to a great extent. That made Rajapaksa almost sure of his victory in this election. A few days before Sirisena filed his nomination, Rajapaksa got the wind of Sirisena's rebellious intentions so he sent Basil, his brother, to investigate this issue and talk to Sirisena. It probably shook Sirisena thoroughly who used all his wits to convince Basil that he had no intentions to defect.

Hence, you can't deny Chinese aggressive role in support of Rajapaksa as well. And this Rajapaksa was a dictator who killed heaps of journalist and even put an ex-army chief into jail who dared to challenge him. So much for his democratic credentials...

BTW how is the royal astrologer of Mahinda Rajapaksa? Has he done any new astrological prediction yet?

vram

Country flag
I would like to believe the version where RAW chief is called back for being able to predict rajapakse's ouster.
Would have been believable if only there had actually been an opposition strong enough to win two months back. It all started with Sirisena walking out and joining opposition party " THREE DAYS" before the Nomination papers where filled for contesting :)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles