Indian Special Forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
the current lot of army officers are a shame…I can post pics of para from 71 raid sitting on jongas much cooler than these and by the way if my life is at stake i would choose a para sf to save me from 71 over the current lot
I’d take an Indian infantry officer from the 70s/80s over most other militaries of that time to get results. Those men didn’t mess around. Ever since COIN became their main focus the quality of Indian military has gone through the floor and that’s across all branches (the navy mostly maintains competence though)

abingdonboy

Country flag
View attachment 223181
Para Sf recent pic from Kokernag
Why do we never see a single veteran commenting on this cr@p but they’ll mouth off on almost every other issue? Is it because they know their indifference is directly to blame for this?

all they’ll have to offer when men with this sh!t tier equipment fall are hashtags and slogans

abingdonboy

Country flag
You think SG did this black op?
SG isn’t for stuff like this, imagine if they got caught- a serving Indian military officer removes any hope of deniability.

What I’ve heard over the years from credible people is SG do get boots in the ground outside of india very regularly but they aren’t doing typically kinetic stuff.

it’s really better to leave some stuff alone and not accredit without evidence (or even when there is). Some arms of the Indian government that are actually functioning shouldn’t be dragged in

Kumaoni

I’d take an Indian infantry officer from the 70s/80s over most other militaries of that time to get results. Those men didn’t mess around. Ever since COIN became their main focus the quality of Indian military has gone through the floor and that’s across all branches (the navy mostly maintains competence though)
My dads uncle who’s a JCO in 70s was a fine shooter. He once killed multiple birds in a single shot.

And the officers of that time were next levels of badass. An avg officer would have almost as many operational achievements as a U.S. army officer.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
You are getting it wrong

officers got themselves killed ..no one killed them

sop mishandling it seems
Cowboy behaviour seriously and this too is a command failure, why did the guys above them not have proper control on them or authority to tell them this was a bad idea? Either there’s a complete breakdown in C&C right up to the HQ level or this culture of doing stupid stuff is entrained, the only thing is most of the time they get away with it so they actually think it’s an acceptable tactic.

as always reality wins, sadly I have next to no confidence that this bloodshed will create any change or prevent further stupid decisions in the future, in fact in this very operation you saw freaking Lt Gens bringing themselves into the field and strutting around with 0 PPE.

Again, how does this go in a real conventional fight? The command staff gets wiped out and guess what you’ve made the entire formation combat ineffective

abingdonboy

Country flag

Kumaoni

Btw I’d like to add. Even the COIN formations of that time were superior to those of the current era.

In Nagaland, in the 70s, as well as Mizoram, Nagas and Mizos would attack camps in groups of 50-60. Army men and Assam rifles woild usually go up against company sized elements. They even used mortars, Chinese weapons, etc. only thing they didn’t have was IEDs.

And the SOPs, intel network, etc was far superior. There were many instances of army men breaking ambushes by company sized elements, and assaulting company sized element groups as well. In one case, a company sized naga attack was routed by a counter charge.

In one case, we almost got Isaac Muviah in 1974. We had instances of regular infantry battalions launching cross border strikes in east Pakistan against Mizos.

And paras of that time were simply on a different level. Even throughout the 90s as well Imo. The 1971 Chachro raid, 1988 Maldives coup, mandhol raid, meghdoot raid of 1965 etc were simply legendary. I don’t think paras could a raid which was inside Pakistan proper like that anymore.

And loook at the Jaffna Helifrop. Despite being an operational blunder, a company of 10 para held off nearly 1000 ltte, which had more firepower, for 24 hours. They suffered 6 KIA, while killing nearly 100 LTTE. Meanwhile, in 2023, a group of 8 militants managed to inflict 5 KIA on 9 para and leave without a scratch. Imagine if the paras of today faced something similar to that of the botched op.

Off topic, but personally my favorite chapter of the Indian army was Op Polo. It was beat down ofI desert storm proportions lol.

Kumaoni

Getting paid less than their MoD peers, doing the same (if not much harder) Ops with far less resources but you see plenty of (only really army) veterans quick to dismiss them or cr@p on their capabilities
Hundred percent.

The odds they go against are worse than that of Afghanistan even imo. That too, they aren’t even given proper sourcing for a reliable intel network.

Aspirant847

Country flag
Why do we never see a single veteran commenting on this cr@p but they’ll mouth off on almost every other issue? Is it because they know their indifference is directly to blame for this?

all they’ll have to offer when men with this sh!t tier equipment fall are hashtags and slogans
Checkout maj avinash's insta posts, mostly guys look pretty standardized in that. May this is just a kashmir thing.

airborneCommando

Country flag

MOD loves to invest in useless things . What are sf going to do with swarm drones .
Give them the basic equipment they need first and focus on capabilities and skills ...
My prediction almooooost true🫡
Also kaboom ji, this will include PPE and centralised trg and selection aswell.......units will have specific roles and there will exist grouped battalions to undertake multiple types of operations (take this with a airbus a380 load of salt)

Articles