Indian Special Forces

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
@Aditya Ballal now it seems army is buying a lot of armasens ST rig specifically for all the units participating in exercises abroad is there any reason ?
I don’t think there is anything specific other than not looking like an underequipped bunch when going abroad, whilst in an exercise with a foreign nation who’s army maybe we’ll equipped.
As per my understanding from conversations with Vinayak Sen from AT, the ST RIG is more economical than the SF RIG as well as lighter and has lesser features, which the regular infantry rarely require compared to SF and is less complex and easier to manufacture and more simple. Essentially the bare minimum the infantry requires and doesn’t require much training and awareness building to use.

Spadex

Country flag
I don’t think there is anything specific other than not looking like an underequipped bunch when going abroad, whilst in an exercise with a foreign nation who’s army maybe we’ll equipped.
As per my understanding from conversations with Vinayak Sen from AT, the ST RIG is more economical than the SF RIG as well as lighter and has lesser features, which the regular infantry rarely require compared to SF and is less complex and easier to manufacture and more simple. Essentially the bare minimum the infantry requires and doesn’t require much training and awareness building to use.
This is the response I got.

"New generation of officers" new guys do care about tactical equipment

jai jaganath

Country flag
Guys went through sdf for sof content and other stuffs
One thing I realized they aren't giving any importance of sof in battleground
I know during wars sof doesn't have any major job and just like infantry that is to fight conventional war
But during earlier stages of war sof has to play a major role in giving us strategic and tactical ops
But this thing is not taken consideration by the members of sdf in their discussions regarding ops or simulation
They are much into Navy AF army and especially rocket force and have a good content though but they are not taking sof in the consideration of their discussion
Why is it so I mean is their military structured in that way or public isn't aware much

JConline

Country flag
Guys went through sdf for sof content and other stuffs
One thing I realized they aren't giving any importance of sof in battleground
I know during wars sof doesn't have any major job and just like infantry that is to fight conventional war
But during earlier stages of war sof has to play a major role in giving us strategic and tactical ops
But this thing is not taken consideration by the members of sdf in their discussions regarding ops or simulation
They are much into Navy AF army and especially rocket force and have a good content though but they are not taking sof in the consideration of their discussion
Why is it so I mean is their military structured in that way or public isn't aware much
For a country that doesn't have a military doctrine, it is far fetched to think that the top brass would understand the use of SOF in war. And in reality, SOF have a major role to play, that stretches way beyond the responsibility of Infantry. Taking down strategic enemy installations and picking off influential military brass of the enemy, painting targets for airstrikes behind enemy lines just to name a few.

jai jaganath

Country flag
For a country that doesn't have a military doctrine, it is far fetched to think that the top brass would understand the use of SOF in war. And in reality, SOF have a major role to play, that stretches way beyond the responsibility of Infantry. Taking down strategic enemy installations and picking off influential military brass of the enemy, painting targets for airstrikes behind enemy lines just to name a few.
These things are required in earlier days of war and few ops during war
But the point is why Chinese are not giving importance to sof
They are developing their military in a fast pace and even their sof are getting good training and equipments compared to us but still their usage is not being explored them
And I don't think they wouldn't have a military doctrine who thinking to take over usa in next 20-30 years (I might be wrong here pls excuse if I am)

JConline

Country flag
These things are required in earlier days of war and few ops during war
But the point is why Chinese are not giving importance to sof
They are developing their military in a fast pace and even their sof are getting good training and equipments compared to us but still their usage is not being explored them
And I don't think they wouldn't have a military doctrine who thinking to take over usa in next 20-30 years (I might be wrong here pls excuse if I am)
For China, rockets and long range weaponry makes more sense because the distance between themselves and USA is large. So to gain the strategic advantage over their main adversary they need a formidable rocket arsenal.

jai jaganath

Country flag
For China, rockets and long range weaponry makes more sense because the distance between themselves and USA is large. So to gain the strategic advantage over their main adversary they need a formidable rocket arsenal.
But still in future thye will definitely project power on foreign land and conflict with India they need to explore sof option
Are they avoiding it bcoz they think it's useless or they aren't aware of its benefits

JConline

Country flag
But still in future thye will definitely project power on foreign land and conflict with India they need to explore sof option
Are they avoiding it bcoz they think it's useless or they aren't aware of its benefits
I feel like, they aren't aware as much as their western counterparts. At the end of the day, they are still stuck in the cold war era mindset a little bit. Idt they understand the significance of SOF capabilities to the depth that could pose a real strategic threat to India. Imho India is actually ahead in this regard.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles