Indian Special Forces

ameet1012

Country flag
Hello Friends, please check out this very interesting interaction I had with Lt Gen Syed Ata Hasnain about Maj Mohit Sharma and in General what's special about the Special Forces. Please do comment, share, like and Subscribe our channel if you find it useful.. 🙏

Dom the Dumb

Country flag
Why did we get Amreekan camo wala winter clothing in Galwan when our troops are deployed at Siachen do we not have winter clothing?

And what does the Norther command do if it has no idea how much winter clothing it requires god forbid Chinese charge?
Well, our troops in Siachen do have winter clothing, I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. And we got American military surplus because they have it ready in the hundreds of thousands and it takes less than a week to fly it all over.

Northern Command knows exactly how much they need - I think assuming they don't know how much they need is very, very foolish. It is just that - as I said earlier - the Indian Army is penny wise, pound foolish.

Also, this topic doesn't belong in this thread. Perhaps someone could start a new thread about the IA's mountain warfare tactics.

Pictoral evidence of Siachen soldiers in winter camo and cold weather gear
Siachen-–-The-High-Altitude-Madness.jpg

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Well, our troops in Siachen do have winter clothing, I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. And we got American military surplus because they have it ready in the hundreds of thousands and it takes less than a week to fly it all over.

Northern Command knows exactly how much they need - I think assuming they don't know how much they need is very, very foolish. It is just that - as I said earlier - the Indian Army is penny wise, pound foolish.

Also, this topic doesn't belong in this thread. Perhaps someone could start a new thread about the IA's mountain warfare tactics.

Pictoral evidence of Siachen soldiers in winter camo and cold weather gearView attachment 184972

Never reply to a post without reading it properly or understanding it correctly.

It saves 2 people some time.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
When you realise…..
To be caught like this shows the preparation level to be honest and it's not just the SF

This means the Norther Indian Army commanders thought in the last few decades that if we get into a fight with the PLA we either do not need extra soldiers who need winter clothing or we will be calling in super humans to fight.

Just like how in 62 our soldiers faught wearing canvas shoes in snow clad mountains.

Dom the Dumb

Country flag
To be caught like this shows the preparation level to be honest and it's not just the SF

This means the Norther Indian Army commanders thought in the last few decades that if we get into a fight with the PLA we either do not need extra soldiers who need winter clothing or we will be calling in super humans to fight.

Just like how in 62 our soldiers faught wearing canvas shoes in snow clad mountains.
More like the Army never expected this level of deployment to take place. Credit where it is due though, the supply chain was set up very quickly and based off photos coming from the Chinese side, the Indian infantryman looks - on average - to be better taken care of.

abingdonboy

Country flag
More like the Army never expected this level of deployment to take place.
That’s the issue…… :facepalm:

Totally caught with their pants down and reactive only

Contingencies are meant to exist. How come the US that has been fighting wars in deserts for 20+ years had 10,000s of surplus winter clothing kits sat around and the IA didn’t?

you can’t be excellent at one thing and inept at everything else. If you’re inept at most things then you’re likely inept at everything.

jai jaganath

Country flag

Contingencies are meant to exist. How come the US that has been fighting wars in deserts for 20+ years had 10,000s of surplus winter clothing kits sat around and the IA didn’t?

you can’t be excellent at one thing and inept at everything else. If you’re inept at most things then you’re likely inept at everything.
Point is why to defend the undefendable
I mean the claim of best mountain warfare is simply bogus
The superhuman capabilities doesn't make u best in a domain but an innovation and different thinking does
Just leave above 2 requirements they can't even follow the trend
The winter clothing is issue that's in public imagine hundreds of issues that's not public

Dom the Dumb

Country flag

(All italics and bold are links to sources)

Against China, this has always been the case. No one has ever expected such a large deployment against them - even the Chinese were caught unawares by the scale the deployment grew to. Hell, they lacked even basic winter clothing whereas we didn't. Here, in fact, is a Chinese source (South China Morning Post) in which the PLA indirectly admits to their troops not having enough cold weather gear. And in regards to surplus, the Army didn't need to purchase surplus until a few months into the stand-off, ordering them as late as October of 2020 when the stand-off started in March, pointing to an already existing stock.

Saying that the Army should have had enough surplus for 200k+ troops ready is like saying the British should have had thousands of Spitfires in service before the war with Germany. You cite America's wars, but during both Gulf Wars the US Army didn't have enough body armour ready for all its frontline and rear deployed troops. Source 1, Source 2, Even the British were short of body armor, Source 3. And the reason the Americans had so much surplus winter clothing is because they had huge deployments in the Hindu Kush mountains.

Furthermore, the winter clothing bought by the IA in 2020 was mostly to restock exhausted supplies, with the majority of the stocked winter clothes having already been dispensed. Even then, the IA only ordered 11,000 despite having anywhere between 150k-200k troops deployed and possibly 60k+ on the frontlines. In the middle of the hostilities, the IAF and Indian Army set up an amazingly efficient logistics chain (Source 1, Source 2). After the order of 11k sets of winter clothing, there has been no repeat order. The most likely scenario is that the 11k sets bought from US Army stock are part of the contingency as there has been no images of Indian soldiers wearing US stuff on the front lines. Yes there are plenty of photos of US clothing in rear camps or officers wearing them, but if you look at images of the actual front line, there are none.

I understand where you are coming from, but as there are those in this forum who are amazingly blind to the IA's failures, you are blind to the IA's successes, looking at half the information and coming to incorrectly drawn conclusions.

Last edited:

ManhattanProject

Country flag
(All italics and bold are links to sources)

Against China, this has always been the case. No one has ever expected such a large deployment against them - even the Chinese were caught unawares by the scale the deployment grew to. Hell, they lacked even basic winter clothing whereas we didn't. Here, in fact, is a Chinese source (South China Morning Post) in which the PLA indirectly admits to their troops not having enough cold weather gear. And in regards to surplus, the Army didn't need to purchase surplus until a few months into the stand-off, ordering them as late as October of 2020 when the stand-off started in March, pointing to an already existing stock.

Saying that the Army should have had enough surplus for 200k+ troops ready is like saying the British should have had thousands of Spitfires in service before the war with Germany. You cite America's wars, but during both Gulf Wars the US Army didn't have enough body armour ready for all its frontline and rear deployed troops. Source 1, Source 2, Even the British were short of body armor, Source 3. And the reason the Americans had so much surplus winter clothing is because they had huge deployments in the Hindu Kush mountains.

Furthermore, the winter clothing bought by the IA in 2020 was mostly to restock exhausted supplies, with the majority of the stocked winter clothes having already been dispensed. Even then, the IA only ordered 11,000 despite having anywhere between 150k-200k troops deployed and possibly 60k+ on the frontlines. In the middle of the hostilities, the IAF and Indian Army set up an amazingly efficient logistics chain (Source 1, Source 2). After the order of 11k sets of winter clothing, there has been no repeat order. The most likely scenario is that the 11k sets bought from US Army stock are part of the contingency as there has been no images of Indian soldiers wearing US stuff on the front lines. Yes there are plenty of photos of US clothing in rear camps or officers wearing them, but if you look at images of the actual front line, there are none.

I understand where you are coming from, but as there are those in this forum who are amazingly blind to the IA's failures, you are blind to the IA's successes, looking at half the information and coming to incorrectly drawn conclusions.
Did you just compair basic winter clothing to a freaking Air superiority fighter? Not having enough Aircraft vs not having enough clothes are not the same thing.

Dom the Dumb

Country flag
Did you just compair basic winter clothing to a freaking Air superiority fighter? Not having enough Aircraft vs not having enough clothes are not the same thing.
Where did I mention aircraft?

Are you referring to the videos I linked by Bharat Shakti? If so, I linked both videos because they're related to the logistics chain I mentioned. One of the videos, in fact, is entirely about the logistics

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Where did I mention aircraft?

Are you referring to the videos I linked by Bharat Shakti? If so, I linked both videos because they're related to the logistics chain I mentioned. One of the videos, in fact, is entirely about the logistics
"Saying that the Army should have had enough surplus for 200k+ troops ready is like saying the British should have had thousands of Spitfires in service before the war with Germany" do you not read your own comments?

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
"Saying that the Army should have had enough surplus for 200k+ troops ready is like saying the British should have had thousands of Spitfires in service before the war with Germany" do you not read your own comments?
Dont waste your time here.

I have excused myself.. Those who can understand got the hint.

Dom the Dumb

Country flag
It's essentially just comparing surplus stock, the Spitfire was a throwaway example. But the rest of my points still stand

Dom the Dumb

Country flag
(Pls ignore previous response)

It's essentially just comparing surplus stock and how fast developing situations can't always be prepared for. The Spitfire was a throwaway example, but an example nonetheless.

But the rest of my points still stand. I have offered better and more comparable examples, including the Chinese experience in the same scenario as ours. Interesting that you would rather pick apart some hyperbole

ManhattanProject

Country flag
(Pls ignore previous response)

It's essentially just comparing surplus stock and how fast developing situations can't always be prepared for. The Spitfire was a throwaway example, but an example nonetheless.

But the rest of my points still stand. I have offered better and more comparable examples, including the Chinese experience in the same scenario as ours. Interesting that you would rather pick apart some hyperbole
The chinese did it wrong, so us doing it too is fine? Dude you have to better than your enemy, saying something like they made the same mistake too is just copium.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles