Indian Special Forces

rkhanna

Country flag
Prarie Fire: Covert MACV-SOG(very tough guys) missions into Cambodia, speaking basically about it.
@ALBY
Correct above. It was the Unofficial name of SOG. Also Called 'Mike Force' if I am remembering correctly/

Blue Light was the counter terror unit stood up in the 70s by 5th SFG. Precursor to Delta. Blue light was Stood Down permanently once Delta demonstrated its capability in a series of exercises in the late 70s

There is another Vietnam era unit you guys should research Project B-52 Delta (Nothing to do with Delta Force or B52 Planes - was a LRRP unit) BUT commanded by Beckwith

Last edited:

rkhanna

Country flag
btw random side comment. The experience gained from all these various experimental Units going all the way back to Darby's Rangers in WWII etc have created a capability that enables you to assaults an Airplane like this

1669976575467.png

abingdonboy

Country flag
btw random side comment. The experience gained from all these various experimental Units going all the way back to Darby's Rangers in WWII etc have created a capability that enables you to assaults an Airplane like this

View attachment 184571
This is why you need elite highly selective national missions units with permanent cadres. The things these guys have developed over the years and fed back to the conventional units is immense. Meanwhile tactics and equipment stagnate largely in India despite the vast amount of hands on experience gained over the years

Deputations, rotations, expansion (aka dilution), lack of strategic oversight etc etc and you end up with Infantry with Tavors being your most elite units

Waanar

Country flag
@rkhanna whats a prairie fire or bright light mission ?asking from Vietnam era SOG point of view.
Prairie fire was a call by MACVSOG teams which was pretty much the equivalent of mayday for infantry. It meant they're surrounded and a complete wipeout seems inevitable. Upon hearing "Prairie fire" on the radios, the pilots who could support infantry in any possible way were meant to abandon whatever they were doing and rush to aid the SOG teams.

Bright light, on the other hand, were the SOG teams sent out to look for other SOG teams that had lost radio contact for a given period of time after which they were considered MIA till recovered or confirmed dead. More often than not, bright light teams found the other team dead.

DumbPilot

Country flag
Prairie fire was a call by MACVSOG teams which was pretty much the equivalent of mayday for infantry. It meant they're surrounded and a complete wipeout seems inevitable. Upon hearing "Prairie fire" on the radios, the pilots who could support infantry in any possible way were meant to abandon whatever they were doing and rush to aid the SOG teams.

Bright light, on the other hand, were the SOG teams sent out to look for other SOG teams that had lost radio contact for a given period of time after which they were considered MIA till recovered or confirmed dead. More often than not, bright light teams found the other team dead.
Prarie Fire was both the name of a certain type of mission as well as a brevity code.

Alamarathan

Country flag
Meanwhile tactics and equipment stagnate largely in India despite the vast amount of hands on experience gained over the years
Deputations, rotations, expansion (aka dilution), lack of strategic oversight etc etc and you end up with Infantry with Tavors being your most elite units
This is the first time im hearing about it and needless to say it is shocking to me.

So these guys rotated out randomly or frequently,so the transfer of knowledge is hindered by design.

Alamarathan

Country flag

What are the current day units that are comparable with macvsog?

abingdonboy

Country flag
This is the first time im hearing about it and needless to say it is shocking to me.

So these guys rotated out randomly or frequently,so the transfer of knowledge is hindered by design.
NSG and SG are deputation only

for PARA SF the officers have to move on (and most of the time away from the para regiment) to get promoted

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
@ALBY
Correct above. It was the Unofficial name of SOG. Also Called 'Mike Force' if I am remembering correctly/

Blue Light was the counter terror unit stood up in the 70s by 5th SFG. Precursor to Delta. Blue light was Stood Down permanently once Delta demonstrated its capability in a series of exercises in the late 70s

There is another Vietnam era unit you guys should research Project B-52 Delta (Nothing to do with Delta Force or B52 Planes - was a LRRP unit) BUT commanded by Beckwith
What a coincidence.just one hour back i came across this project B-52 in some insta or fb pages when i was randomly scrolling through feeds..anyway I didn’t bothered to read the stuff as i was in between many things

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
There is this fb page dedicated to Macvsog which has some macvsog guys who are still alive.It daily posts posts about their fallen men(exclusively Macvsog).Its a good read and also good to know about the tactics and tech in that era.They are very humble to respond to your query posts

Waanar

Country flag
What are the current day units that are comparable with macvsog?
You mean a unit with more than 100% casualty rate undertaking deniable ops deep behind enemy lines while also hosting a much larger ratio of host nation troops with embedded "advisors"/foreign counterparts?

Only the Pakistani SSG comes close. :megusta:

Alamarathan

Country flag
You mean a unit with more than 100% casualty rate undertaking deniable ops deep behind enemy lines while also hosting a much larger ratio of host nation troops with embedded "advisors"/foreign counterparts?

Only the Pakistani SSG comes close. :megusta:
Nah bruh, macsog being a jtf with cia elements,it kinda reminded me of isa setup.

But isa being army unit,i thought is there any jtf units active under/with cia command.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
I know that regular Australian army soldiers looks better than our para sf but no, non of them are SF.

Those helmets with indian soldiers were brought few weeks ago just for this exercise only. They'll use those helmets as showcase in some HQ after the exercise is over.
I thought sf by looking at the combat tshirt and pants, black bpj, nvg, pistols

Global Defence

New threads

Articles