Indian Special Forces

SGOperative

Country flag
If any one has some contacts in Airforce can you guys ask for if they have a Combat Weather Team with them?

abingdonboy

Country flag
Everything short of the COMTACs have been seen in action in Kashmir. And you can rest assured that the COMTACs won't be seen in Kashmir.
Sure, why would you want to use your cutting edge stuff in the only place your guys are likely to actually face combat and need such equipment? Such things should be reserved for photo ops and public events only

JConline

Country flag
Sure, why would you want to use your cutting edge stuff in the only place your guys are likely to actually face combat and need such equipment? Such things should be reserved for photo ops and public events only
Well, the irony died on the Indian Armed Forces long ago. Tbh, we are lucky that at least one SF in India has recognized the need for COMTACs. That at least MARCOS are moving towards kit that is functionally sound and up to the status quo. It'd probably be wrong to say that we'll NEVER see COMTACs in Kashmir, but it's gonna take a lot of time. I'm guessing that Quads with Garuds, COMTACs with MARCOS, and whatever new NVGs Para SF have purchased will be seen in Kashmir around the same timeframe.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
atleast its good they bought the liberators, they can move them away in humid environments untill they may make contact.
I think Marcos will slowly get used to them and we will se them more frequently.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Their are multiple interests (monetary) involved in these conflicts. To put these insurgent activities back twenty or thirty years ,all you had to do was take out the ringleaders and the rest would fold like a pack of cards. The military and political leadership can not see this, and keep banging on about the democratic society and working within the law of the land. It's easy for them this way, cause more citations and medals can be given. They use SF for tactical roles, are just like the bureaucracy "reluctant to change". Every time i hear someone go "it's above my pay grade to comment on so and so" I feel, everyone from the inside hates the people up the chain of command.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Just an hour back i had a conversation with a former commando of 4th Para who served in Lank Kashmir and Kargil who is currently working as a security guard in a govt hospitalThroughout his career he was a RL operator in the unit .According to him Lanka was the toughest place.They were initially issued SLRs and only after initial debacles they were provided East German Aks.
He said his battalion lost a total of 54 men and as far as he recall ,in retaliation they could kill only 4 Tigers in the entire 2 years of deployment.He said the figures of tigers may change slightly but not much.Of those 17 men were martyred in the jaffna university ops to rescue 9th Para and Sikh LI.As they were helidropping ,from the first chopper only 10 out of 20 could rappel out and Of this 10 men,3 got shot and killed by tigers who were in coconut tree tops while men were still in air. Due to the intensity of accurate firing the choppers flew away and dropped the rest of the whole unit,them some 1.5km away and it took 1.5 days to reach jaffna ‘airodome’ by walking.While they landed and was moving forward Tigers encircled and inflicted casualties and the unit spend the whole night lying down in a banana field which was full of rain water.Next day they broke the encirclement and advanced forward thanks to the machine gun fire from heli gunships.The 7 member remnants of first rappelling was meanwhile rescued by some Madras infantry unit . At the end of the day 17 of their men was martyred.
He said the rest of the 37 men were killed in the successive two year period due to mainly IEDs like those planted in coconut husks and also to hit and run tactics by tigers.
On a lighter note he also shared a funny incident, where three of these mallus of 4 Para decided to bunk the camp and venture to the near by toddyshop for drinks.While having drinks they made some company with some locals who could speak some Malayalam .Later the locals out of some sympathy warned the soldiers that they are supporters of LTTE and the men should go back to the camp asap and need not to pay the money for booze.😁
**In terms of casualties among Para he said 7 Para were the worst sufferers.He said 9 and 10 lost few because they mostly had Jats who think less and act more compared to other units which had mixed compositions.
PS:All these things were said to me by him and nothing is my addition .
humne bhi yehi bola tha kuch din pehle

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
humne bhi yehi bola tha kuch din pehle
I posted this exactly to make aware of the young budds who didn’t believed those things.Otherwise I don’t have that much nut mind to type this whole thing at 3.30am during my night patrol hours😀. Just because you had elite badge,Superior genetics,martial race lineage yada yada won’t help you in tough spots if you aren’t prepared for the worst.

Last edited:

Kumaoni

Just an hour back i had a conversation with a former commando of 4th Para who served in Lank Kashmir and Kargil who is currently working as a security guard in a govt hospitalThroughout his career he was a RL operator in the unit .According to him Lanka was the toughest place.They were initially issued SLRs and only after initial debacles they were provided East German Aks.
He said his battalion lost a total of 54 men and as far as he recall ,in retaliation they could kill only 4 Tigers in the entire 2 years of deployment.He said the figures of tigers may change slightly but not much.Of those 17 men were martyred in the jaffna university ops to rescue 9th Para and Sikh LI.As they were helidropping ,from the first chopper only 10 out of 20 could rappel out and Of this 10 men,3 got shot and killed by tigers who were in coconut tree tops while men were still in air. Due to the intensity of accurate firing the choppers flew away and dropped the rest of the whole unit,them some 1.5km away and it took 1.5 days to reach jaffna ‘airodome’ by walking.While they landed and was moving forward Tigers encircled and inflicted casualties and the unit spend the whole night lying down in a banana field which was full of rain water.Next day they broke the encirclement and advanced forward thanks to the machine gun fire from heli gunships.The 7 member remnants of first rappelling was meanwhile rescued by some Madras infantry unit . At the end of the day 17 of their men was martyred.
He said the rest of the 37 men were killed in the successive two year period due to mainly IEDs like those planted in coconut husks and also to hit and run tactics by tigers.
On a lighter note he also shared a funny incident, where three of these mallus of 4 Para decided to bunk the camp and venture to the near by toddyshop for drinks.While having drinks they made some company with some locals who could speak some Malayalam .Later the locals out of some sympathy warned the soldiers that they are supporters of LTTE and the men should go back to the camp asap and need not to pay the money for booze.😁
**In terms of casualties among Para he said 7 Para were the worst sufferers.He said 9 and 10 lost few because they mostly had Jats who think less and act more compared to other units which had mixed compositions.
Well I don’t want to be “that guy”, but the National War Memorial Roll of Honor lists 15 fatal casualties for 4 PARA SF in OP pawan, although the total 54 could also include serious injuries from mine blasts

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Well I don’t want to be “that guy”, but the National War Memorial Roll of Honor lists 15 fatal casualties for 4 PARA SF in OP pawan, although the total 54 could also include serious injuries from mine blasts
15 not mate..couple of years back there was a pic posted in the forum in the closed down thread ,of a memorial of the whole Para in the whole sectors ..And 4 Para had similar figures iircAnd i had the exact question back then .Old timers like @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR or @rkhanna would be remembering that pic. iirc unknowncommando posted that pic..Some months before i asked in this forum to post it again but he said he lost it. I am sure there is a memrial stone outthere engraving the whole casualties list .I don’t think they would involve the names of those got injured.He exactly said men killed and not injured.And he don’t seem to be exaggerating as throughout his conversation he said as it was just part of their job and there was no bragging of anysort.Also the technicalities he said to me were syncing with what i know from my basic knowledge from this forum.

SGOperative

Country flag
Wasnt it 10 Para in jaffna Helidrop?
You are right there are only 15 for 4 Para, and only 2 for 7 Para, and 50-60-70 for all para regiments combined. I guess he is missing some details here and there since it happened long back for him but the crux of the matter remains

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles