Indian Special Forces

armyofhind

Country flag

Forget about an airborne regiment, we don't even have an air assault unit.
The 50th Independent Parachute Brigade is supposed to form our component of an Air assault unit, and it's fairly well equipped for that. In fact the SF unit on rotation to the Brigade is actually better equipped than regular SF units, as one can surmise from the videos that came out.

If you mean Air Assault in the American sense of having helicopter borne assaults like they have in their Air Cavalry since Vietnam, then we dont.

Kumaoni

Despite the original intent for Para SF to serve in a special operations capacity, most combat operations saw the SF employed as super infantry. This, combined with the resentment within the rest of the Parachute Regiment that the SF were an "elite force within an elite force", has lead to this misshape.
Well 9 and 10 para commando in 1965 and 1971 def qualify as special operations forces.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
RAW also has a large bias towards IPS. The r&w cadre are dwindling.
Like CIA is recruiting from civilians RAW dhould open its ranks to civilians.I know they recruits from civilians but under pseudo govt agency recruitment ads.Dont know present but backthen many of the cadre were reserved for families of raw employees itself. That had to be changed.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Like CIA is recruiting from civilians RAW dhould open its ranks to civilians.I know they recruits from civilians but under pseudo govt agency recruitment ads.Dont know present but backthen many of the cadre were reserved for families of raw employees itself. That had to be changed.
I think we need another thread about info on raw or I suppose there isn't much out there about them

abingdonboy

Country flag
The 50th Independent Parachute Brigade is supposed to form our component of an Air assault unit, and it's fairly well equipped for that. In fact the SF unit on rotation to the Brigade is actually better equipped than regular SF units, as one can surmise from the videos that came out.

If you mean Air Assault in the American sense of having helicopter borne assaults like they have in their Air Cavalry since Vietnam, then we dont.
Air assault is air cavalry by technical definition. The Indian army was said to be playing around with this in exercises but there’s no official doctrine. Perhaps they’ll have to wait for the IMRH to really make it viable because the ALH numbers they have won’t allow them to transport sufficient size forces

that said, not having an airborne infantry force really is an issue unless they are planning on using PARA SF for that too so effectively india doesn’t have a SF or airborne infantry

the IA really is a mess these days

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
@abingdonboy since new CDs also is said to have been working on theaterization so if it does come what would be next logical step for establishing Indian socom?

abingdonboy

Country flag
@abingdonboy since new CDs also is said to have been working on theaterization so if it does come what would be next logical step for establishing Indian socom?
No predictions from me. Any such steps are 7+++ years away from reality. Right now it seems like the Indian military is in a complete mess so I doubt theatrisation can happen until some order is brought and that is a long process

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Other units should follow them in the right direction then
We have a decent trained infantry which is huge. If there was a long war we have lots of resources.Even for a two front infantry war.

Our arty and armoured troops are also good infantrymen now with CBS training.

For this region and adversely we are ok.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
We have a decent trained infantry which is huge. If there was a long war we have lots of resources.Even for a two front infantry war.

Our arty and armoured troops are also good infantrymen now with CBS training.

For this region and adversely we are ok.
Happy to know

Waanar

Country flag
I think we need another thread about info on raw or I suppose there isn't much out there about them
There shouldn't be any thread on RAW. This thread itself sometimes starts toeing the OpSec line. People here have a lot to add. Some stuff is best not added.

Since we are talking of speculation, what do you guys think of this?-

IMO, this is a good move. As long as you're not moving through uncharted territories, these are excellent tools for carrying around weight, not taking up fuel, increasing a soldier's longevity and reach.

Goofy as it may look, I had always wondered why modern armies don't field bicycles.
They're excellent tools. There's a world of difference between running a hundred kilometers and cycling a hundred kilometers and a good carbon fiber build won't be heavier than 10-20 kilos at most
You can have soldiers arriving fast and super fresh on an objective hundreds of kilometers away without using any fuel. It also won't cost a significant dime.

Great move I'd say. Both for moving around inside friendly lines and even in times of conflict in enemy territory (with proper ISR of course).
I can assure you, a soldier who can run 10 kilometers in an hour can cycle a hundred with ease in maybe 3-4 hours or so.

OFBkaRakhwala

Country flag
There shouldn't be any thread on RAW. This thread itself sometimes starts toeing the OpSec line. People here have a lot to add. Some stuff is best not added.

Since we are talking of speculation, what do you guys think of this?-

IMO, this is a good move. As long as you're not moving through uncharted territories, these are excellent tools for carrying around weight, not taking up fuel, increasing a soldier's longevity and reach.

Goofy as it may look, I had always wondered why modern armies don't field bicycles.
They're excellent tools. There's a world of difference between running a hundred kilometers and cycling a hundred kilometers and a good carbon fiber build won't be heavier than 10-20 kilos at most
You can have soldiers arriving fast and super fresh on an objective hundreds of kilometers away without using any fuel. It also won't cost a significant dime.

Great move I'd say. Both for moving around inside friendly lines and even in times of conflict in enemy territory (with proper ISR of course).
I can assure you, a soldier who can run 10 kilometers in an hour can cycle a hundred with ease in maybe 3-4 hours or so.
The cycles are for moving inside the Cantonment AFAIK hence the reflectors but bicycle have been used by armies historically, IIRC the Japanese did it, and some modern forces have done it too I believe with E-Cycles for Recon stuff since the cycles are dead quiet and easy to hide.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles