Indian Special Forces

armyofhind

Country flag
The biggest defender of Para SF supremacy changes side on this day 5th July 2022 and will now always defend and say that Marcos are the best in the country from this day onwards.
I remember I had had an extended argument with an old user here who went by the name of Bornubus I think.

I had maintained the point that MARCOS are the most forward looking amongst all the three military SF's of India, and have more or less maintained an edge over the others in the Asian region atleast.

I think he came from within the Army ecosystem and didn't take it very well.

My opinion stands vindicated with events in the recent past where we see MARCOS progressing by leaps and bounds in terms of drills and modernisation.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Could it be just that Navy has got its shit together more than other arms?
Procurement wise Highest Indigenous content inducted in proportion with budget.
Building it's own design Bureau for Submarines and Ships.
Who is responsible for authorizing Procurement in MARCOs? he is the real MVP.

Scramjet

Country flag
My opinion stands vindicated with events in the recent past where we see MARCOS progressing by leaps and bounds in terms of drills and modernisation.
Sirji, there are a host of army units that are trying to be at par with global standards, Navy has a better procurement process given that they have an IHQ in MoD. Take 9 and 10 para SF for example, they have been seeing sporting decent square cut plate carriers as a standard issue, usage of chemlights, usage of dump pouches and host of other small things that requires a change in unit culture.
(Not trying to negate the fact that Marcos have maintained utmost standards)

shouryav105

Country flag
Someone told me arun bahuguna sir is playing a big role in modernisation , dont know how true or false this is, some senior member can confirm ?

armyofhind

Country flag
Sirji, there are a host of army units that are trying to be at par with global standards, Navy has a better procurement process given that they have an IHQ in MoD. Take 9 and 10 para SF for example, they have been seeing sporting decent square cut plate carriers as a standard issue, usage of chemlights, usage of dump pouches and host of other small things that requires a change in unit culture.
(Not trying to negate the fact that Marcos have maintained utmost standards)
It goes beyond just procurement of new tech and eqpt.

MARCOS have always been a forward looking force. They had the capability to paradrop into the ocean with a RHIB and their full combat load when only a handful of units around the world could do it.

And in recent times, they've trained actively with the Israelis and other reputed units around the world.
Also probably the only SF in India who take OpSec really seriously.

It also has something to do with the manpower that goes into the Navy. I believe the minimum requirement is that of a tech grad to join.
That's why you see in general also, the Navy has led the way in India in terms of modernisation and adoption and co-development of indigenous tech and eqpt.

Although I usually don't agree with the disparagement of the individual operators that happens on this thread in cycles, I do agree with @abingdonboy in his assertion that something is definitely rotten within Para SF higher leadership, that is preventing the individual operator's kit to be brought upto global standards. 100%.

In my estimate, it is probably the age old tussle of power between the Parachute Regiment and SF. That's why you see the 50th Independent Para Bgde equipped with far better gear, than the individual SF battalions themselves. Surreal.

Last edited:

Scramjet

Country flag
It's a combined effort, officers like cmde vijaypal rawat (now retd) had a hand behind their latest CQB facility, lots of revamping at comd. level, squad level tweaking has been there since their inception.

EternalNxg

Country flag
Someone post the pics of PARA with kyrgyzstan SF, it was not long ago. Anyone have it?

abingdonboy

Country flag
Clear validation of UCP in maritime environment again. Kudos to MARCO’s decision makers in adopting something that was widely mocked and discarded by its designers and putting it to use in a suitable role, this is pretty much the opposite to how every other decision on camouflage patterns seems to be made in India by other units (just look at the other users of UCP in india and some of the ridiculous patterns in use by CAPFs and police)

Strange MARCOs still don’t train high ready, this was pretty much developed by SEALs because of working in maritime environments and is why it’s their default stance.

again no battle belts, integrated knee pads, proper high end boots and even their plate carriers seem pretty empty when compared to the rest but definitely the least embarrassing relative turnout for an Indian SF in one of these exercises. I shudder to think how much background hysterics there’d Be from the other participants had PARA SF turned up in their ‘best’ gear.

D50EC0AB-A62D-4535-B1D3-33205992363D.jpeg

abingdonboy

Country flag
I don’t want to knit pick and genuinely want other posters’ input- do not both his EARPRO and PC look like ill-fitted here? The PC in looks like it is the wrong size for him and if he had to run in it it’s going to flop horrible on his torso and the entire point of a PC is to have it high and tight to your body to protect the vital organs

abingdonboy

Country flag
the IN has a dedicated SF command so its SFs have a degree of controlling their own destiny with the added benefit that they are highly standardised across the multiple MARCOs wings and detachments. The PARA SF has nothing comparable and are making it up as they go and having to fight the big army for everything

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I remember I had had an extended argument with an old user here who went by the name of Bornubus I think.

I had maintained the point that MARCOS are the most forward looking amongst all the three military SF's of India, and have more or less maintained an edge over the others in the Asian region atleast.

I think he came from within the Army ecosystem and didn't take it very well.

The reason i supported the Para was their vast experience which surely has a lot of value in combat.

But as i grew older i realised that the Para are doing only Commando ops and not SF ops which even some Marcos get a taste of in Kashmir.

But in terms of equipment, management and future planning and procurement the Marcos are way ahead.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles