Indian Special Forces

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
I don't have much basis for saying this, but I think MARCOS is going in a better direction than Para SF. They seem to be more serious about technical skills, personal equipment, and imbibing good practices from other SF from around the world. The culture they display also seems more methodical and modern compared to the more desi bravado aura of Para SF. Just my impressions.

EternalNxg

Country flag
I don't have much basis for saying this, but I think MARCOS is going in a better direction than Para SF. They seem to be more serious about technical skills, personal equipment, and imbibing good practices from other SF from around the world. The culture they display also seems more methodical and modern compared to the more desi bravado aura of Para SF. Just my impressions.
Forget Marcos
Even Garuds are progressing way fucking faster than PARA Wale.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
@thefewthefearless I personally know a person who has been like an elder brother to me (son of my teacher)

He was a Black Cat Commando during the Kargil War. And had narrowly escaped death during the conflict. He was tasked with securing a ridge line.

Later he was a CO along the LOC. During his tenure an Indian soldier was beheaded by the Pakistani side (they had made a video & had shared it with the Indian side during the handing over of the body). This was during the UPA time.

The news was not disclosed to the media. The Indian soldiers under his command had avenged his death by killing 27 Pakistani soldiers with in 7 days along the LoC. There was such a dread that the Pakistanis had left their post abandoned for more than a month.

When he retired.
Saw videos of him reciving the same treatment as General Dhillon during his retirement. (Soldiers adorned him with garlands & dragged this car like a Rath)

During his training. He was air dropped into the jungle alone & tasked with completing a mission. He had broke is arm during the operation but managed to secure his mission within 2 days & was finally evacuated.

During his class 11 he had actually run away from his home to join the Army. He literally slept for days infrunt of the army office because he had no other place to go. But he was very determined, he wanted to be like his PT teacher who was also an ex Para SF.

A fine gentleman.
I know I have not been technical or provided any scientific input. Sorry I am not qualified.

I have grown up watching and reading about Navy Seals & SAS. I have nothing but respect for them.

But our SF is not just filled with false bravado or cowards who are shit scared at the LoC. They have training & are fully capable of executing any operation if provided the right leadership. Most people here make false assumption from botched PR videos.
1.No NSG was deployed in Kargil.

2.No one is airdropped anywhere alone.

3.If he ran away in 11th class then how did he become a CO? Officers qualification is not 10th standard

Please ask him to join this thread. So far on all my points no Officer of the IA has disagreed.. Lets see what your friend says if he is really an Indian Army officer and that too a Colonel rank.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I agree!

I too feel the same in my interaction with Naval pilots

Navy people have the right people with aptitude and attitude.

Something i see majorly missing in AF and Army.

TSK 1

3.If he ran away in 11th class then how did he become a CO? Officers qualification is not 10th standard

Please ask him to join this thread. So far on all my points no Officer of the IA has disagreed.. Lets see what your friend says if he is really an Indian Army officer and that too a Colonel rank.
1. As @SGOperative mentioned the NSG commandos were sent back to their original unit during the Kargil War.

2. I am pretty sure it happened. His parents had went to see him in the hospital when he broke his arm & it was through them that we came to know about it.

3. He had run away at class 11. And had slept infront of the Army office. The soldiers on knowing that, they took him in, took good care & had finally returned him back home. But he eventually joined the armed forces.

But indeed he is an NSG. I have seen him in that uniform when he had once visited our city with his team & had briefly stopped by just to meet his parents.

You see the relation I have with their family is of a teacher & a student. Even with him, I have never tried to question anything . And I have taken everything at face value. (by my nature)

It has been a dishonour to miniaturise a mans career into a single post. That raises more question than it answers. Sorry for the inconvenience.

<Was trying to take a short break from DFI, but some questions had to be addressed>

Last edited:

EternalNxg

Country flag

Those days NDA requirement was 10th pass

abingdonboy

Country flag
Thank you for posting the video.

@abingdonboy go easy on this video.
It’s been posted and dissected to death, @Gessler did a good job pointing out the many issues here.

The sad part here is that this video which shows a complete butchering of tactical shooting by today’s standards was used as evidence that PARA SF can do things properly. The even worse part is this was done during an Ex with US SF (Green Berets) so this unit represents the most up to date PARA SF equipment and tactics as we know the IA gives special training and equipment to units that will take part in joint exercises

SGOperative

Country flag
The even worse part is this was done during an Ex with US SF (Green Berets) so this unit represents the most up to date PARA SF equipment and tactics as we know the IA gives special training and equipment to units that will take part in joint exercises
From what i have seen 3 Para SF is one the worst in their equipment profile so that does not really hold well.

TSK 1

@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

1. As @SGOperative mentioned the NSG commandos were sent back to their original unit during the Kargil War.

2. I am pretty sure it happened. His parents had went to see him in the hospital when he broke his arm & it was through them that we came to know about it.

3. He had run away at class 11. And had slept infront of the Army office. The soldiers on knowing that, they took him in, took good care & had finally returned him back home. But he eventually joined the armed forces.

But indeed he is an NSG. I have seen him in that uniform when he had once visited our city with his team & had briefly stopped by just to meet his parents.

You see the relation I have with their family is of a teacher & a student. Even with him, I have never tried to question anything . And I have taken everything at face value. (by my nature)

It has been a dishonour to miniaturise a mans career into a single post. That raises more question than it answers. Sorry for the inconvenience.

<Was trying to take a short break from DFI, but some questions had to be addressed>

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
It’s been posted and dissected to death, @Gessler did a good job pointing out the many issues here.

The sad part here is that this video which shows a complete butchering of tactical shooting by today’s standards was used as evidence that PARA SF can do things properly. The even worse part is this was done during an Ex with US SF (Green Berets) so this unit represents the most up to date PARA SF equipment and tactics as we know the IA gives special training and equipment to units that will take part in joint exercises
This video only proves one thing and that is why i said thanks..

And that thing is that these teenagers who have no idea about things come on this thread during their summer breaks to get a timepass and then run away.

They have no idea about tactics, strategy or even politics or maturity.

They believe in paan shop stories and narrate it here like it Bible.

In another post i had written that i am using there forums for 15 years and a very senior member of this forum questioned me on which forum as there was no DFI 15 years ago.. that is the level of knowledge.

I bet who would even know what a great platform militaryphotos. net or worldaffairsboard was.

But anyway like i say.. the maturity of the majority of the members here is incredible.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Forget Marcos
Even Garuds are progressing way fucking faster than PARA Wale.
I’ve been listening to a lot of USMC MARSOC/Raiders operators lately and one thing that was made abundantly clear at the start of their creation (mid-2000s) is that the USMC tried their very best to stifle the creation and to hamper the unit’s abilities.

USMC’s ethos is that every marine is a rifleman first and foremost so the old school leadership doesn’t like having an elite within an elite (that’s why the original Marine raider force was disbanded within a few years of creation in the 20th century).

I wonder if there’s a degree of this going on inside the IA as it relates to PARA SF, to the senior most IA leadership every infantryman is the same, what can a SF team do that their conventional battalions can’t do?

Whereas IAF and IN don’t have any other ground combatants so the force as a whole has an incentive to have their SFs be of a decent quality.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles