Indian Special Forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
Am I the only one not bothered by these structural and organisational changes? I just want good equipment Madarchodo:hail::hail: as long our SFs don't get liquidated, I'm good.
The problem is **** flows downhill. You don’t just become Delta overnight, you get there because the right decisions are made at the very top most offices. It’s basic leadership and corporate culture philosophy

so you don’t get good equipment and training without the right mandate and organisations

Fire and groove

Country flag
Why couldn't SF hire men directly from civilian pool instead of exclusively from mil branches. Afaik SAS, SEALs are all open for direct recruitment.
Which comes with a myriad of problems. I don't really see the value in it, anyone with the will to serve in SF will join the military anyway, on the other hand civilian recruitment pipeline means the guys you get have to be broken in and are completely green to the military and it's culture, while having to be trained from scratch. The SEALs are a prominent example of toxic culture, owing a good portion of it to their direct recruitment. Instead trained troops are less of a hassle and are far more adaptable and hardened at the same time.

Fire and groove

Country flag
You don't have to be part of UK armed forces to volunteer for SAS selection. I am speaking this on behalf of Major Avinash Sahani. He was in scotland few months back and did joint ex with EX - SAS and SBS. Wont give out much detail. I also interacted with them via vid call courtesy of Major Sahani. Even a civilian can opt for the selection process directly. They were even surprised that not many Indians volunteer for SAS and SBS considering a good lot of Indian citizens join the French Foreign Legion. Also news flash * SAS and SBS* are no longer the TIER 1 unit of UK. It's the SRS which consists of operators from both SAS and SBS.
SAS have a very economical selection and training process too. Instead of different units having their own pipelines, all candidates for SBS, SAS and the like are sent for selection through the same pipeline and standards.

mupper2

Country flag
and what is SRS? Do you mean SRR? SAS very much is the tier 1 of UKSF
The only SRS close to what he's talking about is 30 Commando IX
Surveillance and Reconnaissance Squadron which has the BPT aka the MLs

Not sure why someone told him civvies can try out directly for UKSF, even 21/21 SAS and SBS(R) you need to be a member of the reserves before applying.
The only SAS that takes civvies directly is the NZSAS

OFBkaRakhwala

Country flag
What? Since when was size holding the back? Just because you get more people you are now emulating the koreans? Koreans also have a SOCOM, train with Americans year round and take equipment seriously

PARA SF aren’t expanding with a FID mission in mind. They are expanding because the IA and india more generally doesn’t understand what SFs are. India is a nation that has railway security guards wearing ‘commando’ badges
My reference to Koreans was limited to the point that Size does not limit quality specifically the roles they have to take and not emulating one unit or the other, Para SF is no Delta neither was supposed to be one. Para SF is engaged in CI/CT ops in Two Different Areas + Pakistan Border + China Border. The Strain comes on the ones operating with under the Northern Command even more, you add a permanent FID over that you begin to see the manpower strain.
Manpower is not a excuse and should not be a excuse for any of the other fault lines.
Also my reference to FID comes from the @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR comments.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Lots of gurkhas in SAS and SBS. Commonwealth citizens can join the UK Military like any UK citizen. Some roles are closed off to them initially but they can go for any unit including the SOFs a few years into their enlistment.

Serving in a military unit is considered a profession so the Indian law bars mostly joining just the militant groups and sorts. As long as you're working with a legitimate authority, it's not considered illegal. That would otherwise make any Indian serving as an armed security in organisations like UN a criminal.
The mountaineering Gorkha guy on whom there was a netflix documentary was made recently was a former SAS.

abingdonboy

Country flag
My reference to Koreans was limited to the point that Size does not limit quality specifically the roles they have to take and not emulating one unit or the other, Para SF is no Delta neither was supposed to be one. Para SF is engaged in CI/CT ops in Two Different Areas + Pakistan Border + China Border. The Strain comes on the ones operating with under the Northern Command even more, you add a permanent FID over that you begin to see the manpower strain.
Manpower is not a excuse and should not be a excuse for any of the other fault lines.
Also my reference to FID comes from the @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR comments.
Again, what’s the basis for this?

just because you call yourself SF doesn’t mean you can do FID. that’s a very specific mission set. Is there any evidence PARA SF train for it?

Green berets all have to learn a second foreign language as part of their qualification, can more than a handful of PARA SF speak any foreign language?

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag

just because you call yourself SF doesn’t mean you can do FID. that’s a very specific mission set. Is there any evidence PARA SF train for it?

Green berets all have to learn a second foreign language as part of their qualification, can more than a handful of PARA SF speak any foreign language?
I am sorry you are wrong here.

Why do Para SF need to train for this?

Para SF already trains for this..We teach Urdu and islam to operators so they can be used in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

For Sri lanka we have Tamils.

For Bangladesh we have Bengalis.

For Myanmar we have North eastern people.

Green berets need to train coz they are whities trying to be Arabs.

We on the other hand are gonna deploy around our neighborhood to tackle Chinese for which we already have a cultural and language advantage.

Thats what Modi wants.

OFBkaRakhwala

Country flag

Just because you don't know that does not mean it does not exist, Linguistic Skills take a important role along with the Cultural Part not just in SF but also in the regular units deployed on the front line.

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 3.57.29 PM.png

Waanar

Country flag
I've met a few Garuds
They speak fluent Urdu and Arabic, some even speak fluent pashtun, they know about Muslim and islamic principles and practices etc etc.
The grammar and pronounciation are pretty damn similar.

This is our domain. Paras may need to train for weapons caching, evasion from surveillance, infil, exfil, developing contacts yada yada but once they're in the territory, good luck picking them out from the locals.

Hell, @FalconSlayers knows Urdu too.
Punjabi, Bengali, Burmese, Tibetan, Nepali, we got it all covered.
Pashto, of course, requires actual training time. The closer you are to your home, the easier the language to learn. I'm okayish at speaking and reading Farsi/Dari and it almost feels like a dialect than a different language.

It's unrealistic to think anyone (even Green Berets) can speak fluent Mandarin. Most can't.
If you want an Indian guy to be fluent in Mandarin, hire a Chinese, send them to a civilian course or actually make them live in China.
I don't know how effective our foreign service's language school is but that could be an option too.
I bet my ass none of the Green Berets who don't come from a Chinese household can speak Mandarin beyond the basics.

The only US soldiers who can actually speak Mandarin functionally are the intel folks who go to their DLI course (2 years). Even with that much time, it must be terribly hard.
Tonal languages are horrible.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
I am sorry you are wrong here.

Why do Para SF need to train for this?

Para SF already trains for this..We teach Urdu and islam to operators so they can be used in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

For Sri lanka we have Tamils.

For Bangladesh we have Bengalis.

For Myanmar we have North eastern people.

Green berets need to train coz they are whities trying to be Arabs.

We on the other hand are gonna deploy around our neighborhood to tackle Chinese for which we already have a cultural and language advantage.

Thats what Modi wants.
SF deploying in Indian neighbourhood to tackle Chinese? SL won’t allow it, Nepal won’t, BD won’t, Afghanistan won’t etc

again I don’t see where this is coming from

shouryav105

Country flag
Was there any para sf casuality in uri attack ? Any 9 para ? P.S not talking about surgical strike but attack itself.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
SF deploying in Indian neighbourhood to tackle Chinese? SL won’t allow it, Nepal won’t, BD won’t, Afghanistan won’t etc

again I don’t see where this is coming from
So PoK deployments are as per Ghq approval?

Bro we are talking about plan not execution.

And if you are updated on current affairs you would know we have few foreign bases.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles