Indian Special Forces

Nightshade1992

Country flag
SAS you have to be a member of the U.K. armed forces to go to selection but it is open up to anyone so you have members of the RAF, navy etc in it. Delta force (CAG) is the same- can go for selection from any US armed forces branch

SEALs have basically the same pipeline as MARCOs although American recruitment system is a little unique. So a SEAL aspirant will join USN on a contract that allows them to go for SEAL assessment but first they do basic USN boot camp, they get taught a trade etc then go to tryout for SEALs if they don’t make it they go back to their trade and serve out their contact
You don't have to be part of UK armed forces to volunteer for SAS selection. I am speaking this on behalf of Major Avinash Sahani. He was in scotland few months back and did joint ex with EX - SAS and SBS. Wont give out much detail. I also interacted with them via vid call courtesy of Major Sahani. Even a civilian can opt for the selection process directly. They were even surprised that not many Indians volunteer for SAS and SBS considering a good lot of Indian citizens join the French Foreign Legion. Also news flash * SAS and SBS* are no longer the TIER 1 unit of UK. It's the SRS which consists of operators from both SAS and SBS.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
You don't have to be part of UK armed forces to volunteer for SAS selection. I am speaking this on behalf of Major Avinash Sahani. He was in scotland few months back and did joint ex with EX - SAS and SBS. Wont give out much detail. I also interacted with them via vid call courtesy of Major Sahani. Even a civilian can opt for the selection process directly. They were even surprised that not many Indians volunteer for SAS and SBS considering a good lot of Indian citizens join the French Foreign Legion. Also news flash * SAS and SBS* are no longer the TIER 1 unit of UK. It's the SRS which consists of operators from both SAS and SBS.
Sir, give some updates on Indian SF, UK ka joh hai voh thik hai, humare yahan kya scene hai

AZTEC

Country flag
by far the most impressive paratroop setup ever seen in Indian service- far above what SG and PARA SF have shown to date. Confirms what I’ve heard that MARCOs have the best airborne capabilities in india which is a little shameful for PARA SF given their entire identity revolves around airborne but it is what it is

Let’s hope this isn’t another Godzilla
I am sure SG will never "show" you anything. They follow an equivalent of US DoD Special Access Program protocols (SAP). US secret service is basically an SAP, for example. So is SPG, and SG, both of which are under the Cabinet Secretariat.

The same cannot be said about Para SF though.

vidhwanshak

Country flag
There’s no recent development

India can’t even afford the military commitments it currently has (after galwan all 3 services had to intact emergency purchases and dip into war wastage reserves to sustain heightened operations tempo). With the PLA building up on LAC the Indian military is undergoing a once in a lifetime shift in provisioning and logistics onto the east and it is just barely getting by with what they currently have

Lastly India’s military is not setup to be expeditionary, it doesn’t have the footprint to sustain combat offensive ops away from its shores for sustained periods of time and like I said it is already feeling the pinch with a hot LAC and the threat of a hot LOC with Afghanistan fall out.

if such things were going to happen you’d have seen a huge spike in defence spending but it isn’t happening
Maybe the Indian military doctrine is really changing?

I have no counter against the logistics and infeasibility you mentioned but I would like to share some papers which I read during my last semester break that advocated India shredding its conventional doctrine to adopt an expeditionary one.
View attachment 157827

And this as well:

1653761380718.png

abingdonboy

Country flag
Well there’s literally not one open source citation for civilians joining the SAS (reserves are a different story). In fact the exact opposite evidence exists- that you must be an active member of the Indian armed forces

And are they saying Indian citizens should join SAS? Again I don’t think there’s any way for a non-British citizen to join SAS, French foreign legion actively employ non-French citizens. Afaik there’s a law against Indian citizens becoming combatants in foreign militaries which is why you don’t see any Indians join the British military as part of the commonwealth service recruitment that you see the likes of Jamaican, Sri Lankans etc joining

and what is SRS? Do you mean SRR? SAS very much is the tier 1 of UKSF

abingdonboy

Country flag
I am sure SG will never "show" you anything. They follow an equivalent of US DoD Special Access Program protocols (SAP). US secret service is basically an SAP, for example. So is SPG, and SG, both of which are under the Cabinet Secretariat.

The same cannot be said about Para SF though.
USSS is a SAP? Don’t they answer to US treasury dept?

abingdonboy

Country flag
Maybe the Indian military doctrine is really changing?

I have no counter against the logistics and infeasibility you mentioned but I would like to share some papers which I read during my last semester break that advocated India shredding its conventional doctrine to adopt an expeditionary one.
View attachment 157827

And this as well:

View attachment 157826
What some guys right in a thesis and what actual happens are two very different things.

Indian military has actively fought the idea of tri-service commands and theatrisation both of which would be essential for expeditionary warfare. They have even killed off the CDS effectively which has been advocating for a central command with an out of area (OOA) mandate

abingdonboy

Country flag
Those saying things are changing and expeditionary warfare is coming, I have news for you:

status quo always wins inside MoD

CDS post is dead
Theatrisation is dead and with it AFSOD/INSCOCOM and hence any hope that PARA SF is actually a SF. IA moving to expand SF battalions seems to indicate its game over

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Those saying things are changing and expeditionary warfare is coming, I have news for you:

CDS post is dead
Theatrisation is dead and with it AFSOD/INSCOCOM and hence any hope that PARA SF is actually a SF. IA moving to expand SF battalions seems to indicate its game over
We perfectly know how to defeat ourselves infact mastered in that art

jik60

Country flag

CDS post is dead
It would help if you shove these daily doses of doomsday prediction somewhere you like. My suggestion would be God!! don't fly with these mental constraints, Chinese eastern airline crash is still vivid.

Doesn't matter, how superfluous and paradoxical it sounds but the country's border has been intact since 1962, due to the sagacity of some sane and patriotic political class. The generals or bureaucrats would have shit in their pants, had they been responsible for it. Surely, the sex maniac was an aberration.

No amount of lobbying would force Modi to take a decision in any kind os haste. Be assured he would appoint the CDS at its right time, till then continue with your ranting.

OFBkaRakhwala

Country flag
Hear out my non sensical ass's 2rs view:
As others are saying, we might be moving towards a bigger SF size, something like the Koreans, their Special Warfare Command (equivalent of Para SF or GBs) is big like 10000 is what's the avg estimate. Their role revolves around old school commando stuff basically behind the lines Gulf War types similar to Para SF but also deploy to foreign countries to "Build Relations". Inshort we might be taking the FID a bit more seriously now especially deploying them to SEA with partner nations (If Its indeed true that Mudi ji read about FID on wikipedia and had a boner, hope he visits the equipment page too one day)

Waanar

Country flag
Well there’s literally not one open source citation for civilians joining the SAS (reserves are a different story). In fact the exact opposite evidence exists- that you must be an active member of the Indian armed forces

And are they saying Indian citizens should join SAS? Again I don’t think there’s any way for a non-British citizen to join SAS, French foreign legion actively employ non-French citizens. Afaik there’s a law against Indian citizens becoming combatants in foreign militaries which is why you don’t see any Indians join the British military as part of the commonwealth service recruitment that you see the likes of Jamaican, Sri Lankans etc joining

and what is SRS? Do you mean SRR? SAS very much is the tier 1 of UKSF
Lots of gurkhas in SAS and SBS. Commonwealth citizens can join the UK Military like any UK citizen. Some roles are closed off to them initially but they can go for any unit including the SOFs a few years into their enlistment.

Serving in a military unit is considered a profession so the Indian law bars mostly joining just the militant groups and sorts. As long as you're working with a legitimate authority, it's not considered illegal. That would otherwise make any Indian serving as an armed security in organisations like UN a criminal.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Hear out my non sensical ass's 2rs view:
As others are saying, we might be moving towards a bigger SF size, something like the Koreans, their Special Warfare Command (equivalent of Para SF or GBs) is big like 10000 is what's the avg estimate. Their role revolves around old school commando stuff basically behind the lines Gulf War types similar to Para SF but also deploy to foreign countries to "Build Relations". Inshort we might be taking the FID a bit more seriously now especially deploying them to SEA with partner nations (If Its indeed true that Mudi ji read about FID on wikipedia and had a boner, hope he visits the equipment page too one day)
What? Since when was size holding the back? Just because you get more people you are now emulating the koreans? Koreans also have a SOCOM, train with Americans year round and take equipment seriously

PARA SF aren’t expanding with a FID mission in mind. They are expanding because the IA and india more generally doesn’t understand what SFs are. India is a nation that has railway security guards wearing ‘commando’ badges

abingdonboy

Country flag
Eh? SRR were created to give relief and free up the SAS and SBS from the Reconnaissance Stuff so they could focus much more on their DA.
Exactly. SRR was borne about after UKSF was opening alongside US SOFs in GWOT and got to see Delta’s G (their technical intel wing) squadron up close and in action.

So a lot of SAS/SBS go into SRR but that doesn’t make it more elite or a tier above. It just has a different mission

should listen to Chris Ryan’s (ex-SAS) podcast. He said that In the 80s SAS was leagues ahead of Delta, but when they got to Iraq (SBS/Seals coveted Afghanistan) SAS realised they were quite far behind the unit ( delta) and a lot of reforms and changes in SAS came as a result and they’ve tried to emulate Delta

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles