Indian Special Forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
So Modi wants to deploy SF abroad over the next decade.

Thatswhy this move.

In my opinion we should have made the non SF Para battalions SF a long time ago.

Few good performing Infantry units could be converted into Para non sf battalions.

I belive at least 2 generations of Para CDo battalions should be mandatory for SF conversion.

And NSG and SG should be a permanent deployment just like Para.

Ghataks should be a brigade size force..with cross training and deployment.They should be deployment based like RR and not unit based.

Anyway..these are my opinion.
NSG should stop being deputationist for sure and open up their recruitment to anyone-even civilians like GIGN. The utility of drawing manpower from the armed forces and CAPFs has long since departed as NSG now has the capacity to train up their own cadre and has best practices in house. Throwing away 1/3rd of their trained manpower annually is an asinine program and will always prevent them from becoming a top tier unit. I am 200% certain this is just pie in the sky thinking though as NSG, like SPG, are seen as cushy postings by CAPF and IA officers in

Ghataks are a good concept but they should have a centralised selection/training pipeline with their own senior level representative in IA HQ kind of like USMC Force Recon. Having a platoon of special operations capable infantry at every infantry battalion who are trained and equipped to a similar level as SF is a force multiplier. If they ever get around to a central PARA SF selection/training process it would also be a good place to recruit from kind of how Force Recon guys make up most of MARSOC.

The entire PARA regiment (SF included) should be an airborne force- elite light infantry is basically what they are today. A separate SF regiment should be raised with at most 2 battalions of strength but there should be ZERO automatic postings- everyone that wants to get into the new force should have to go through a selection and training regime overseen/created by SG and 4/9/21 PARA SF leadership. The current mess is because airborne battalions converted to SF overnight with no additional training/qualification that has purely diluted the entire PARA SF brand

Anyway any of the above happening in the next 50 years is about as likely as Pakistan putting a man on the moon in 2030

abingdonboy

Country flag
Why couldn't SF hire men directly from civilian pool instead of exclusively from mil branches. Afaik SAS, SEALs are all open for direct recruitment.
SAS you have to be a member of the U.K. armed forces to go to selection but it is open up to anyone so you have members of the RAF, navy etc in it. Delta force (CAG) is the same- can go for selection from any US armed forces branch

SEALs have basically the same pipeline as MARCOs although American recruitment system is a little unique. So a SEAL aspirant will join USN on a contract that allows them to go for SEAL assessment but first they do basic USN boot camp, they get taught a trade etc then go to tryout for SEALs if they don’t make it they go back to their trade and serve out their contact

vidhwanshak

Country flag
Pahadi chuha phir bakchodi karta hua (rhymes)

Iss chutiya ke bat sach hui to asli bakchodi machegi . Airborne and sf in same regiment was bullshit but having sf and airborne in same unit, bruh
no he is right.

I am 100% sure about this news and @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR is most probably correct as well. High chances of troops being deployed in foreign.

But with an enemy like China, deploying men in foreign land doesn't make sense but again no one can understand masterstroke of mudi ji.

shouryav105

Country flag
Don't wash it off man, hearing the same thing myself. Their is a strong possibility that it's true.
no he is right.

I am 100% sure about this news and @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR is most probably correct as well. High chances of troops being deployed in foreign.

But with an enemy like China, deploying men in foreign land doesn't make sense but again no one can understand masterstroke of mudi ji.
Dude , If its true its going to be a mess now, they should have kept sf regiment and slowly turned and transferred parachute regiments units into sf regiment , now all they are going to do is dilute the already not so good capability of para sf and also having 150-200 paratroopers within sf battalions sounds like a stupid idea, maybe raising a seprate small battalion of paratroopers would have been better, but if modi is really going to put our sf on foreign land then he better shove stick up mod's ass and get good equipment , also I dont think its a bad idea that mudi is going to put sf in foreign because lets not forget how big of change it made to other sf units around world , it will be good for our sf , if uncle sam wants it then there are going to be lot more joint ex .I also agree with @abingdonboy boy to convert sf to para com and raise mew sf but we all know that wont happen .

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Dude , If its true its going to be a mess now, they should have kept sf regiment and slowly turned and transferred parachute regiments units into sf regiment , now all they are going to do is dilute the already not so good capability of para sf and also having 150-200 paratroopers within sf battalions sounds like a stupid idea, maybe raising a seprate small battalion of paratroopers would have been better, but if modi is really going to put our sf on foreign land then he better shove stick up mod's ass and get good equipment , also I dont think its a bad idea that mudi is going to put sf in foreign because lets not forget how big of change it made to other sf units around world , it will be good for our sf , if uncle sam wants it then there are going to be lot more joint ex .I also agree with @abingdonboy boy to convert sf to para com and raise mew sf but we all know that wont happen .
According to pahadicuha there will be no airborne unit at all only 150-200 airborne troops in 5 units means 750-1000 troops
So basically entire para regiment will become sf regiment with 750-1000 airborne troops in 5 units
@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR @vidhwanshak how did you all come to conclusion that they might be deployed in foreign land
After all this shit why don't remove those 750-1000 troops and form an airborne regiment

shouryav105

Country flag
According to pahadicuha there will be no airborne unit at all only 150-200 airborne troops in 5 units means 750-1000 troops
So basically entire para regiment will become sf regiment with 750-1000 airborne troops in 5 units
@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR @vidhwanshak how did you all come to conclusion that they might be deployed in foreign land
After all this shit why don't remove those 750-1000 troops and form an airborne regiment
Exactly , you are turning whole parachute regiment into sf , ok , but what is the sense of having paratroopers attached to unit , its stupid , rather give airborne capabilites to few ghatak or something , sf and airborne in same unit does not make sense

vidhwanshak

Country flag
Not sure where this speculation is coming from. India’s stance on Russia has proven all this ‘Modi works for US’ noise wrong
Two aspects to look at this development.

First is the American angle. Well known fact that if India wants to have an edge over China in this coming decade, it would be impossible without the murican's support. But nothing comes for free, and all this development can be attributed to this. And I have mentioned this in Chit-Chat thread as well, despite suspending recruitment rallies for all branch, GOI conducted it for PARA.
1653759315865.png

The second could be the "Atamnirbhar Bharat" initiative. We all know Mudi ji is pushing Indian arms in Indian and foreign markets. But who will after the Ukrain-Russian fiasco buy untested equipment? Foreign deployments could be done to project power and show that Indian arms and equipment are world-class.

My two cents on the recent development.

vidhwanshak

Country flag
let's not take the tweet by mountain rat at face value.

PARA being converted to PARA SF is true but the second part seems very illogical. I don't think that any laal topi officer would be this dumb.

And if we invite mountain rat here on DFI THEN we can talk about this deeply as he had bragged that many of his friends are 2IC(Lt Col and Second-In-Command) in PARA, and maybe he would have more info regarding this

abingdonboy

Country flag
Two aspects to look at this development.

First is the American angle. Well known fact that if India wants to have an edge over China in this coming decade, it would be impossible without the murican's support. But nothing comes for free, and all this development can be attributed to this. And I have mentioned this in Chit-Chat thread as well, despite suspending recruitment rallies for all branch, GOI conducted it for PARA.
View attachment 157824

The second could be the "Atamnirbhar Bharat" initiative. We all know Mudi ji is pushing Indian arms in Indian and foreign markets. But who will after the Ukrain-Russian fiasco buy untested equipment? Foreign deployments could be done to project power and show that Indian arms and equipment are world-class.

My two cents on the recent development.
There’s no recent development

India can’t even afford the military commitments it currently has (after galwan all 3 services had to intact emergency purchases and dip into war wastage reserves to sustain heightened operations tempo). With the PLA building up on LAC the Indian military is undergoing a once in a lifetime shift in provisioning and logistics onto the east and it is just barely getting by with what they currently have

Lastly India’s military is not setup to be expeditionary, it doesn’t have the footprint to sustain combat offensive ops away from its shores for sustained periods of time and like I said it is already feeling the pinch with a hot LAC and the threat of a hot LOC with Afghanistan fall out.

if such things were going to happen you’d have seen a huge spike in defence spending but it isn’t happening

abingdonboy

Country flag
IA officer class is doing their best to destroy PARA SF since the 90s, they’ve been succeeding in recent decades starting with the expansion of PARA SF

I believe that after Kargil IA gave up on the idea of having special forces. They just want some elite light infantry

Global Defence

New threads

Articles