Indian Special Forces

Fire and groove

Country flag
Kill me in my sleep.

Seriously, I was very hopeful of this being a rumor.
Start the RR boys. (Not Rashtriya Rifles. The other RR.)

Still, there's a HUGE difference in having the option and not using it and not having the capability when it may be needed.
Not to mention that we haven't seen a true all-out, peer to peer, modern, non-nuclear (or nuclear for that matter but let's ignore that for the time being) conflict just yet so we can't say conclusively how essential or redundant that capability is.
Airborne has never been "needed" en mass in a strategic sense, with very few exceptions where the obvious counters weren't in play like in Mali for the french. We have no such disposition, with our only proper airborne utility being against conventional militaries. They can only augment the main axis of advance and the risk/reward simply makes it not feasable anymore, their utility is extremely niche in that sense. We should instead prioritise air assaults/air mobility and air cavalry options. i.e Heli-centric capabilities which offer far greater redundancy and flexibility with their combined arms integratibility and are far more suitable for mountainous operations, while also freeing up transport aircraft for logistical tasks in the rear. Strategic or even tactical lift aircraft are too vulnerable and important to waste on grand airborne operations that can go very wrong, in this day and age they're sitting ducks in a forward deployment and should instead be used for moving up the rear echelon.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Shouldn't there be a command and response system in place by Garuds so they can reach on time and before the enemy especially in areas like Siachen, LOC and LAC?
Siachen seems a little difficult even for the best of the best in this regard, but the other 2 fronts I agree. CSAR Choppers fitted with all the defensive aids(RWR, MAWS, DIRCM, Radar etc) required may be a little restricted in terms of payload and carrying capacity at those heights.

SGOperative

Country flag
Siachen seems a little difficult even for the best of the best in this regard, but the other 2 fronts I agree. CSAR Choppers fitted with all the defensive aids(RWR, MAWS, DIRCM, Radar etc) required may be a little restricted in terms of payload and carrying capacity at those heights.
Yeah but, the personal may be not? Some compromises on the equipment is not avoidable but have we ever send a single Garud on Siachen yet?

SGOperative

Country flag
For CSAR to work in Siachen a Garud unit will have to be permanently posted there. Cannot mobilize from sea level to do an effective CSAR that high.
was talking about that only, Garuds are big enough to be there and it does not hurt to have teams rotate themselves anything else it only builds capability for them

abingdonboy

Country flag
Very true. But Siachen would be a tough nut. To deploy a Garud unit there even for 3-4 weeks will required months of build up and build down. The cost benefit of doing so ?
Can be said for any contingency plan. It isn’t worth the investment until it is…

That there’s a precedent shows the requirement, I’m pretty sure in peace stations a lack of SAR cover is a reason to reject a mission, it’s quite outrageous to ask frontline pilots to put their lives on the line without such support

Global Defence

New threads

Articles