Indian Special Forces

Fire and groove

Country flag
I have a theory , I think that our SF can develop faster during a potential peacetime rather than in a conflict zone , although we need a shove beforehand from a potential enemy or threat , example : NSG , MarCos , 10 SF battalion ( Desert Scorpions) .

Also I think that until we fail an operation due to equipment or weapon failure or strategic/tactical failure causing casualties , intelligence failure and it would be presented infront of public eye , we won't get a new reform or re-structurisation we require
Geographical deployments means that's very difficult. SOF are unnecessarily stretched thin and can't train their numbers in consolidated and centralised institutions.

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
Geographical deployments means that's very difficult. SOF are unnecessarily stretched thin and can't train their numbers in consolidated and centralised institutions.
Why not duplicate multiple instutions all over like multiple HAWS institutions all over Himalayas or Commando Schools not only in Belgaum but also for each specific terrain

shouryav105

Country flag
We have had this same discussion multiple times and it is not going to change anything, in our great army, anyone who wants to bring change is pressured by the big generals with a small mind to accept modernization, our army does not learn from others mistakes, only after making the mistake themselves maybe-maybe they implement change or they just don't, and this is not limited just to our sf but all the units are suffering from this in some way, mod to army generals to politicians to bureaucrats, all are part of the problem in one way or another, a smart general comes, a dumb fuck politician would put pressure on it for some deal with the country, the politician is good (lol), fuckin bureaucrat will fuck up some shit. Unless all the stars align and we get some decent high ranking officials, we are only going to change by getting fucked in the ass by some other org or country , until then our army will consider itself perfectly developed and evolving with time until it realizes it not, som developments are happening but it's too slow and too sloppy. may God show mercy on us.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Not just the SF, with this amount we can equip the entire Infantry to NATO standard.
The guys who are in charge of these funds live far away from the battlefield, are given cushy army owned accommodation, drivers, batmen, travel allowance etc etc. Life for them is great, extra CAPEX is just a spreadsheet/accounting issue to them, to the guys at the very bottom it’s the difference between life and death

These clowns won’t even give up their golden lanyards and bright coloured ranks for their combat uniforms. That’s how out of touch and self-inflated their egos are

It’s not the right place but there’s a definite issue here in culture. Indian military leadership comes from the British army traditions which are often criticised internationally as having too many generals and out of touch leadership in contrast to the warrior culture that the US military on the whole imparts in their officer corps.

Waanar

Country flag
The guys who are in charge of these funds live far away from the battlefield, are given cushy army owned accommodation, drivers, batmen, travel allowance etc etc. Life for them is great, extra CAPEX is just a spreadsheet/accounting issue to them, to the guys at the very bottom it’s the difference between life and death

These clowns won’t even give up their golden lanyards and bright coloured ranks for their combat uniforms. That’s how out of touch and self-inflated their egos are

It’s not the right place but there’s a definite issue here in culture. Indian military leadership comes from the British army traditions which are often criticised internationally as having too many generals and out of touch leadership in contrast to the warrior culture that the US military on the whole imparts in their officer corps.
US officer corps's "warrior spirit" is a joke.
US has a very strong NCO culture but the tasking of the officers leave much to be desired, as mentioned by their own soldiers.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a podcast where a soldier mentioned that this "Officer in a shady dark TOC, far away from the battlefield" may work out in COIN but will be extremely demoralizing in peer to peer conflicts. That's one thing we might be doing right here.

I frankly don't understand wtf happens once our tactically proficient officers reach a higher rank.
Is our system rotten where the only way to cross a career bottleneck is to be a self serving political nibba or something?

I remember hearing news of the controversy around Brigadier Saurabh Singh Shekhawat and thought "yeah okay that makes sense, SOFs worldwide have a hard time jumping ranks" but there might be a lot more to it than that.

I'm just shooting off in the dark though. Few if any of us know what parameters are judged in an officer's career progression in the military.

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
US has a very strong NCO culture but the tasking of the officers leave much to be desired, as mentioned by their own soldiers.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a podcast where a soldier mentioned that this "Officer in a shady dark TOC, far away from the battlefield" may work out in COIN but will be extremely demoralizing in peer to peer conflicts. That's one thing we might be doing right here.

I frankly don't understand wtf happens once our tactically proficient officers reach a higher rank.
Is our system rotten where the only way to cross a career bottleneck is to be a self serving political nibba or something?

I remember hearing news of the controversy around Brigadier Saurabh Singh Shekhawat and thought "yeah okay that makes sense, SOFs worldwide have a hard time jumping ranks" but there might be a lot more to it than that.

I'm just shooting off in the dark though. Few if any of us know what parameters are judged in an officer's career progression in the military.
Brigadier Shekhawat was discriminated against due to professional rivalry, he complained to the the MoD for the discrimination against him in his ACR by higher ups
Which is to be expected coz the man is a friggin' legend

Maj Gen Yash Mor was good Tactically in the rashtriya Rifles, he was later charged with training some other units to same level of proficiency
He talked about this in one of the interviews, this is just one of the examples
I'm sure they retain the lessons from CI/CT and later incorporate into basic training, otherwise there is practically zero scope for evolution

Kek nobody loses officers like we do, that too in peacetime

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag

Well there has to be one black sheep in the herd , you can't have one good white shirt without a stain on it for long . One can't expect to have a perfect army led by perfect officers and without selfish job protective generals .

Waanar

Country flag
Brigadier Shekhawat was discriminated against due to professional rivalry, he complained to the the MoD for the discrimination against him in his ACR by higher ups
Which is to be expected coz the man is a friggin' legend
Exactly my point. It's a symptom, and definitely not a one-off. Some get media attention (Cuz, as you put it, Brig. Shekhawat is a friggin legend) but many don't.
Maj Gen Yash Mor was good Tactically in the rashtriya Rifles, he was later charged with training some other units to same level of proficiency
He talked about this in one of the interviews, this is just one of the examples
I'm sure they retain the lessons from CI/CT and later incorporate into basic training, otherwise there is practically zero scope for evolution
Yes, still not optimal. I mean, we have a HUGE unspent capital and an Army which used sterlings as primary in some roles till recent. That is a very slow pace of evolution.

Kek nobody loses officers like we do, that too in peacetime
Our definition of peacetime is skewed.

No other border in the world exists where two sides regularly fire mortars, heavy artillery, ATGMs and perform cross border raids on enemy posts and call it "peacetime".

This isn't peacetime. The inertia of narrative has set in since congress's era of appeasement of terrorist states thus we continue referring to it as "peacetime". It's not.
My benchmark for peacetime is when I can comfortably and accurately say "there's no boom boom going off on an enemy on the border right now".
Can I? No.

What peacetime?

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
Why do they release these types of pics
I feel more bad after seeing these pics
Our industry is capable of producing top sof equipments and gears but our sof state being pathetic
Bahut bahut bura lagta hai vro
Can we please organise a kind of revolution , like the one which was initiated by defence squad for paralysed NDA cadets . Only defence squad and big channels can organize a kind of public crowd funding or voting and presenting them the CAPEX funds and their OPEX stats .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles