Indian Special Forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
CQB follows the principle of Silence, violence, silence.

You try to keep signature to a minimum, then, if a firefight unfolds, you go full Indra's Vajra on their ass, then go silent again as long as you can maintain it and sheepishly act as if no one heard you, even if they did.

Sentry neutralization is of course a big part, but so is elimination of hostiles when you enter a room.
The point man carrying the suppressed SMG (and the MP5SD is Hollywood quiet) can neutralize a target in a room before the entire team floods in, and extend the duration of their stealth just a wee bit longer, preventing stuff like their teammates discharging their loud, unsuppressed weapons and sleeping tangos waking up, some turd popping up through a door way which wasn't secured yada yada.

I'm being overly boastful here because I absolutely LOVE their methodology. Makes a LOT of sense.
If they don't encounter a larger force in any room, they could run through the entire compound without ever being heard.

View attachment 111887
I believe that PARA (SF) have adoored this principle too thanks to NSG hence why you will often see the number 1 and 2 in a stack with suppressors on their weapons ( either micro Uzi or Tavor/M4).

one day an Indian unit might wake up to the fact that is the 21st century where SBRs and subsonic rounds exist

abingdonboy

Country flag
The only way to avoid that boom is to use either subsonic ammo or this thing of beauty.
The drawback is, since you're slowing down the bullet, the range and penetration suffers, hence the loud nibbas coming in from the back to wreck shit up in case the MP5SD proves a tad bit anemic.
I like the way you put that especially when you think that the guy with the SIG-55X in the HIT stack will usually he number 5/6, if 1-4 doesn’t get the job done I guess.

that said I’m not really sure if there’s much utility in having 3 different weapon options in a single team, I understand the K9 and other support staff having the MP-5Ks but don’t see a reason why they can’t all just have a SBR with modern suppressors. They could actually operate in a similar manner- number 1/2 could be issued with subsonic ammo to retain the sentry suppression element of their doctrine.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Mp7 does take like, half a mag to put one guy down.
In fact, SEALS have a saying of "One target one mag" for the MP7.
Shot placement is critical when you have a dinky lil 4.6 mm projectile.

On the other hand, the wound cavity by 9mm at close ranges is much more effective. (Arguably)
Will chesney (former DEVGRU K9 handler) in his book said he did all his pre-deployment training and work ups with a MP-7 (easier to handle a dog and a primary) but after his first mission in Afghanistan he ditched and adopted the HK-416 like the rest of his team.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Will chesney (former DEVGRU K9 handler) in his book said he did all his pre-deployment training and work ups with a MP-7 (easier to handle a dog and a primary) but after his first mission in Afghanistan he ditched and adopted the HK-416 like the rest of his team.
people keep saying size does not matter, but all real life accounts we have heard say otherwise..

Sir pe tapla

Country flag
BS, 10 is the best desert unit in India, they are one of the original cdo bns alongside 9 and 1.
Hence equipped with all they've got.
My friend @Inderjeet Singh also posted a few photos of 10 para having uniform desert MARPAT pattern QZ shirts, Plate carriers, ballistic eye pro, military grade boots etc.
10 SF base is there in Jodhpur. It was right next to our cantt. "Home of quiet professionals" was etched into a huge stone wall standing left at their gate. And on the right stone wall, there used be a scorpion. It used to look lovely in the evening , when lit up.

The sentry standing there was equipped with desert camo, ballistic goggles, modern plate carriers, M4s, good boots . They also used to come out of their base in ATVs and those LSVs of theirs, and everyone sitting on them was well equipped. There is no chance in hell they are under equipped. I have seen them personally.

And when we used to come home to our cantt from some dinner or party, we would sometimes see these guys with full battle load running at night in the dread cold of Jodhpur's winter. Truly are hardy men, our 10 SF.

Sir pe tapla

Country flag
Lol yeah, I made a Joke about that many pages ago.
I know it's sarcasm but let me tell you a story told to me from a col who was responsible for organizing a joint training between 10 SF and US regular infantry I think.

But first, Do you remember which exercise that was? It happened in Desert and 10 SF was joint training with US troops.

rkhanna

Country flag
I know it's sarcasm but let me tell you a story told to me from a col who was responsible for organizing a joint training between 10 SF and US regular infantry I think.

But first, Do you remember which exercise that was? It happened in Desert and 10 SF was joint training with US troops.
Sirji my sarcasm is directed towards all the instagram posing pictures and videos that now crop up - so much for the silent professionals.

Are your talking about balance iroquois?

Sir pe tapla

Country flag
Anyways, what happened was there was a round where 1 match our sf acted as Opfor and another in which US troops acted as opfor.

In this round, blufor were favoured to win while everyone expected opfor to lose since conditions were less favourable for them. Blufor were given approximately one platoon worth of troops and had to demolish ammo dump guarded by approximately 2 platoon worth of opfor troops.

Now one may think how are these conditions favourable to blufor , since they have less troops and have to storm entrenched enemies?

That is because blufor was provided with Intel about enemy locations and simulated air support.

Demolishing objective would require someone to attach a blue smoke device that would emit smoke upon remote detonation and the troops of blufor had to be 100 m away before detonation.

So now coming to the real match.

Round one , Blufor regular US infantry
Opfor 10 Sf.

Blufor wins. 2 sections take on one platoon while other section takes on another platoon of SF with Limited simulated CAS.

But US troops also suffer multiple casualties in the process. 10 sf heard the sound of planes and approaching vehicles in the desert. Too much noise was made by US troops warning the SF about their arrival. One whole section of US troops wiped out.

Now this is where things get interesting.
2nd round.
Blufor 10 SF
Opfor US troops

US troops set up positions. Get entrenched and learn from their previous round to listen to enemy aircraft and vehicles so they know from where SF will arrive.

The wait. They wait. And they wait some more. On the 3rd day ( exercise lasted for 3 days) still no sign of SF. Night approaches. US troops know this is the last chance for the SF and get ready for them. Still watching for signs of planes abd sounds of vehicles.

5 hours into darkness. Someone from their platoon who is further back and closest to ammo dump that is supposed to be protecting the objective shouts and raises alarm. Blue smoke has been raised. Objective has been destroyed . Blufor has won.

US Platoon commander, utterly bewildered, approaches the grinning SF platoon commander and asks how??

Apparently these SF bastards (words of the sf officer narrating ) had marched and sneaked 70 kms on foot, with full battle gear, past both platoons.

US troops were mainly depending on the sound of vehicles that carries over desert to warn them of approaching Blufor. But these mtherfuckers went on foot , used no cas nor cars , round the enemy and destroyed the objective.

That day , probably was the day, that atleast some troops of US understood why 10 sf are called quiet professionals.

Last edited:

rkhanna

Country flag
Anyways, what happened was there was a round where 1 match our sf acted as Opfor and another in which US troops acted as opfor.

In this round, blufor were favoured to win while everyone expected opfor to lose since conditions were less favourable for them. Blufor were given approximately one platoon worth of troops and had to demolish ammo dump guarded by approximately 2 platoon worth of opfor troops.

Now one may think how are these conditions favourable to blufor , since they have less troops and have to storm entrenched enemies?

That is because blufor was provided with Intel about enemy locations and simulated air support.

Demolishing objective would require someone to attach a blue smoke device that would emit smoke upon remote detonation and the troops of blufor had to be 100 m away before detonation.

So now coming to the real match.

Round one , Blufor regular US infantry
Opfor 10 Sf.

Blufor wins. 2 sections take on one platoon while other section takes on another platoon of SF with Limited simulated CAS.

But US troops also suffer multiple casualties in the process. 10 sf heard the sound of planes and approaching vehicles in the desert. Too much noise was made by US troops warning the SF about their arrival. One whole section of US troops wiped out.

Now this is where things get interesting.
2nd round.
Blufor 10 SF
Opfor US troops

US troops set up positions. Get entrenched and learn from their previous round to listen to enemy aircraft and vehicles so they know from where SF will arrive.

The wait. They wait. And they wait some more. On the 3rd day ( exercise lasted for 3 days) still no sign of SF. Night approaches. US troops know this is the last chance for the SF and get ready for them. Still watching for signs of planes abd sounds of vehicles.

5 hours into darkness. Someone from their platoon who is further back and closest to ammo dump that is supposed to be protecting the objective shouts and raises alarm. Blue smoke has been raised. Objective has been destroyed . Blufor has won.

US Platoon commander, utterly bewildered, approaches the grinning SF platoon commander and asks how??

Apparently these SF bastards (words of the sf officer narrating ) had marched and sneaked 70 kms on foot, with full battle gear, past both platoons.

US troops were mainly depending on the sound of vehicles that carries over desert to warn them of approaching Blufor. But these mtherfuckers went on foot , used no cas nor cars , round the enemy and destroyed the objective.

That day , probably was the day, that atleast some troops of US understood why 10 sf are called quiet professionals.
Thanks for the story. Not surprised at all. We are a military that humps its way to a solution. Similar story was narrated by a US army commander about IA Gurkhas in an ex in America. They were so quiet in the woods that the Americans started getting frustrated.

BUT just as an FYI - the term quiet professional is a term for ALL SF. Not just the 10th. And the term denotes their professionalism of not talking with their mouths but their work. i.e. they don't brag in public. And there in my sarcasm.

PS it's a term borrowed from US SFG

Sourajit Dutta

Country flag
What is the model of the weapon sight??
Also is it a thermal or a simple night sight??
And if possible, what is the date of the picture??
Also how effective is the sight with its massive weight??
Any info would be much appreciated.
Regards.
That's a Gen 1 NPSU/1PN34.
Was first POSTED on DFI in early 2017.

armyofhind

Country flag
What is the model of the weapon sight??
Also is it a thermal or a simple night sight??
And if possible, what is the date of the picture??
Also how effective is the sight with its massive weight??
Any info would be much appreciated.
Regards.
Its the Soviet 1PN58 passive night sight. Weighs 2 kgs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles