Indian Special Forces

Waanar

Country flag
I read about Captain Pawan Kumar’s last operation. This could have been prevented with a tactical shield. Why was NSG not used for EDI Pampers? Extremely pissed. We lost a fine young officer and still don’t learn any lessons. These guys are just being used as cannon fodder by Army.
AFAIK, NSG wasn't deployed (or deployed in significant numbers) in Kashmir during the EDI Pampore op.
Mobilization speed also matters. In fact, rumors say the Para SF team's request for a heli was denied because of the rushed nature of the operation (since the terrorists were taking hostages) and finally, Paras know how to work in conjunction with RR and efficiently so. I don't think an NSG team deployed to train JKP (which was what NSG's role first was, when they deployed to the valley) would be able to mesh so well with the system in place.

IndiaRising

Country flag
AFAIK, NSG wasn't deployed (or deployed in significant numbers) in Kashmir during the EDI Pampore op.
Mobilization speed also matters. In fact, rumors say the Para SF team's request for a heli was denied because of the rushed nature of the operation (since the terrorists were taking hostages) and finally, Paras know how to work in conjunction with RR and efficiently so. I don't think an NSG team deployed to train JKP (which was what NSG's role first was, when they deployed to the valley) would be able to mesh so well with the system in place.
Paras are not equipped for urban warfare. No tactical shield, no explosives for breaching…. I mean let’s not reduce them to the level where they became jack of all master of none.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
the account I read from Aroor‘s book says differently. Door was barricaded and he had to open it himself which left his upper body exposed and a burst of fire came directly at him. One bullet in the shoulder and the other one was fatal in the heart.

View attachment 111833
101 in door breaching is that you never stay in front of it as tangos can fire through door.in this situation the capt had to improvise when the door didn't open and he had no other option.breaching explosively could have opened the door and possibly stunned the tangos.and made job somewhat easier but in the option of not having explosives or door breaching equipment he had to take the risky step.

rkhanna

Country flag
the account I read from Aroor‘s book says differently. Door was barricaded and he had to open it himself which left his upper body exposed and a burst of fire came directly at him. One bullet in the shoulder and the other one was fatal in the heart.

View attachment 111833
One episode doesn't tell the whole story. For Capt Pawans incident note that he was on leave on his way to the station if I remember correctly. He rushed to provide aid at the encounter site.

On Breaching - ofcourse SF has explosive breaches but our methods are still behind the new age stuff. And we also lack flexibility in breaching methods. No cutting torches. Saws, etc etc.

More importantly we lack flashbangs and other dynamic entry aids post breaching.

IndiaRising

Country flag
101 in door breaching is that you never stay in front of it as tangos can fire through door.in this situation the capt had to improvise when the door didn't open and he had no other option.breaching explosively could have opened the door and possibly stunned the tangos.but in the option if not having explosives or door breaching equipment he had to take risky step.
that’s exactly my point. Paras are not equipped for urban warfare. Basically thrust into any unfavorable situation with the hope that they get job done and make it out alive.

IndiaRising

Country flag
One episode doesn't tell the whole story. For Capt Pawans incident note that he was on leave on his way to the station if I remember correctly. He rushed to provide aid at the encounter site.

On Breaching - ofcourse SF has explosive breaches but our methods are still behind the new age stuff. And we also lack flexibility in breaching methods. No cutting torches. Saws, etc etc.

More importantly we lack flashbangs and other dynamic entry aids post breaching.
He was in Shopian for some other operation but he was called to Pampore by his Company commander abruptly.
No tactical shields either!

IndiaRising

Country flag
And let’s not forget Captain Pawan belonged to 10 Para SF, which can easily be designated as the most poorly equipped SF battalion.

Waanar

Country flag
Paras are not equipped for urban warfare. No tactical shield, no explosives for breaching…. I mean let’s not reduce them to the level where they became jack of all master of none.
Idk man, I'm just saying what happened leading to the events that caused such tragedy.

Also, if Paras are truly not equipped for urban warfare (I disagree. Their methods are outdated but they aren't terribly underequipped.), it's a shame.

An Army SOF unit should ALWAYS be ready for urban warfare.
Who else will deploy if/when we take over urban areas of Pakistan? NSG?

MOUT is very different from NSG's quick hits mentality and training.

rkhanna

Country flag
And let’s not forget Captain Pawan belonged to 10 Para SF, which can easily be designated as the most poorly equipped SF battalion.
Huh? Never heard that? I have family members who have served in the 10th. Their desert capability is unparalleled in India. It's the second raised SF unit in India. Their legacy is as old as SF in India. I find it hard to believe that they are some how deficient in kit (compared to others)

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
He was in Shopian for some other operation but he was called to Pampore by his Company commander abruptly.
No tactical shields either!
Tactical Shields were only adopted by Para SF and RR in significant numbers only post 2017-18. EDI Pampore attack was prior to this in 2016. They’ve learnt from this attack and others like and is now in widespread use.

Inderjeet Singh

Country flag
I read about Captain Pawan Kumar’s last operation. This could have been prevented with a tactical shield. Why was NSG not used for EDI Pampers? Extremely pissed. We lost a fine young officer and still don’t learn any lessons. These guys are just being used as cannon fodder by Army.
Yes we lost 3 SF operators and top brass wanted to complete operation in minimum time that's why we lost operator . What if they stretch operation for week then militants ran out of rations and ammunition

Scramjet

Country flag
BS, 10 is the best desert unit in India, they are one of the original cdo bns alongside 9 and 1.
Hence equipped with all they've got.
My friend @Inderjeet Singh also posted a few photos of 10 para having uniform desert MARPAT pattern QZ shirts, Plate carriers, ballistic eye pro, military grade boots etc.

Scramjet

Country flag
Yes we lost 3 SF operators and top brass wanted to complete operation in minimum time that's why we lost operator . What if they stretch operation for week then militants ran out of rations and ammunition
When shit gets tough, they always call in para SF thinking they'll do the job, even if its a mundane operation.....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles