Indian Special Forces

rkhanna

Country flag
Interesting the size of AFSOD is pretty similar to JSOC. I think their functionality will be also same a strike team and a support team for developing tactics.
JSOC units have their own selection process, completely different training modules ( they pretty much assume the candidates know nothing) and they have permanent cadre

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
God knows when will Indian Army have a proper vehicle...
Hain ji ?:dude: this was the requirement for the army itself, be happy that we inducted this thing .
It has replaced maruti gypsy , and its a fairy new induction plus read about raid on chachro to get a clear understanding why this vehicles are most needed

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag
God knows when will Indian Army have a proper vehicle...
The vehicles are not armoured because it is supposed to be swift and not clunky

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
JSOC units have their own selection process, completely different training modules ( they pretty much assume the candidates know nothing) and they have permanent cadre
Then what kind of set up we are putting 3k strong commando force is big enough. Even if it's a tactic development agency then what are it's analogue.

Gessler

Country flag
Hain ji ?:dude: this was the requirement for the army itself, be happy that we inducted this thing .
It has replaced maruti gypsy , and its a fairy new induction plus read about raid on chachro to get a clear understanding why this vehicles are most needed
Please elaborate what do you mean by proper vehicle?
The vehicles are not armoured because it is supposed to be swift and not clunky
He probably means a dedicated LSV design instead of conversion from civilian vehicle (which incidentally both the Force model & Gypsy were).

Something like Polaris DAGOR probably.

People tend to think the Force (or even Thar) is a great offroad vehicle chassis...and from a civilian perspective they are, but even a decades-old platform developed for military requirement (like Humvee) tends to leave these models in the dust.

I'll count my blessings though...I'd rather take the Force model than a Gypsy :tongue:

But quite shameful that even as recently as 2020 IA was still taking deliveries of Gypsy. The production line for this car (which is no longer sold in passenger market) is still active purely because of IA orders.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Interesting the size of AFSOD is pretty similar to JSOC. I think their functionality will be also same a strike team and a support team for developing tactics.
There’s almost no comparison with JSOC

JSOC is comprised of tier 1 SMUs from all of their branches. The tier 1 units have their own selection process from their β€˜vanilla’ units, dedicated infrastructure etc etc.

AFSOD is taking a few guys from β€˜vanilla’ SF units in India and throwing them around to see if the C&C works.

India won’t get a JSOC until it starts raising tier 1 units- the question is if India actually needs a JSOC,JSOC was raised after the failed raid into Iran (Operation eagle claw) in the 1980s so the US had an elite expeditionary hostage rescue force.

need comes first, can’t just mindlessly ape others.

SOCOM seems more important for Indian units first to get them their own budgetary allocations, C&C and away from the conventional hierarchies.

for that PARA (SF) will need to be separated from the airborne battalions and IA will have to raise a special ops command like the IAF and IN have.

Last edited:

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

SUPERPOWER

Country flag
He probably means a dedicated LSV design instead of conversion from civilian vehicle (which incidentally both the Force model & Gypsy were).

People tend to think the Force (or even Thar) is a great offroad vehicle chassis...and from a civilian perspective they are, but even a decades-old platform developed for military requirement (like Humvee) tends to leave these models in the dust.

I'll count my blessings though...I'd rather take the Force model than a Gypsy :tongue:

But quite shameful that even as recently as 2020 IA was still taking deliveries of Gypsy. The production line for this car (which is no longer sold in passenger market) is still active purely because of IA orders.
Exactly something like VPD Light tactical vehicles....Coming to Force i have seen same vehicles used as taxies....Force Ghurkha Dosent fit in the mind as Light Tactical Vehicle vehicle just bcoz Force has done some ad ons in it...

SmartSelect_20210919-210434_Google.jpg

SmartSelect_20210919-210328_Google.jpg

SmartSelect_20210919-210831_Google.jpg

BlackViking

Country flag

The production line was closed (for 2-3 years) afaik and was restarted after IA sought clearance for restarting the line from SC.

rkhanna

Country flag
Then what kind of set up we are putting 3k strong commando force is big enough. Even if it's a tactic development agency then what are it's analogue.
Manpower is a function of Objective , Tasking and then proper budget allocation.

JSOC has a tiny % of assaulters compared to SOCOM but has a far higher % weight to logistics and transpo compared to SOCOM.

Forget the Americans within the SAS look at the Increment vis-a-vis the vanilla sabre squadrons

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles