Indian Special Forces

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
They'll have high cuts very soon, how else they gonna mount the NVGs in the tender, every Special forces unit has moved on to high cuts, even for jumps Garuds use those thick bump helmets when others are using High cut bump helmets, not to mention you cannot attach any NODs on current Garud helmets like @ManhattanProject pointed out, so it is only logical for them to go for High cuts/full cuts with side rails and integrated NVG mounts
[/QUOTE]
Just stating my opinion 😅:frog:

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Yeah , didnt know about their elbit JV , thats why. Later took the pains to read it in their website and was satisfied with it
Elbit US bought Harris Corporation’s Night Vision division when L3 and Harris merged together as they had many arms making night vision devices. Tata does not have a JV with Elbit. Both Elbit(Harris night vision division) and L3 Harris(After Exelis’s purchase by Harris again) make AN PVS 31 family NODs. TASL has a JV with Exelis Inc. which is now part of L3 Harris. Hence that’s why @Scramjet looked into their specifications since they use the same technology.
Many American companies make the AN PVS 31 so that why you’re confused.

Last edited:

ManhattanProject

Country flag
They'll have high cuts very soon, how else they gonna mount the NVGs in the tender, every Special forces unit has moved on to high cuts, even for jumps Garuds use those thick bump helmets when others are using High cut bump helmets, not to mention you cannot attach any NODs on current Garud helmets like @ManhattanProject pointed out, so it is only logical for them to go for High cuts/full cuts with side rails and integrated NVG mounts
Just stating my opinion 😅:frog:
[/QUOTE]
For garuds😂

images - 2021-09-14T172749.667.jpeg

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
90° x 40° is mentioned in the tender means it’s a Pano NVG Tender (GPNVG-18 = 97° x 40° FOV)
AN/PVS-31 Binod is 21° x 15.7° FOV
1631620771093.png
Not surprised considering Tenders floated by the Armed Forces have somthing peculier in some way or the other, like Navy’s 40k tonne “LPD” tender, or Army’s Carbine tender which should have a
“foldable stock” and should shoot 5.56x45.

Or Army’s own Pano NVG tender calling it a tender for Panoramic night vision “Binoculars”, so won’t be surprised if this peculiarity is done here again.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Interesting how the Russians never conduct such complex exercises with their ‘high speed’ units with India. Has india ever conducted anything beyond some basic room clearing/combat manoeuvres with them?

And yet for some reason india sends its SFs to take part in exercises with their conventional units consistently

View attachment 110004

View attachment 110005
45th Spetsnaz brigade is pure VDV and not SF. It would have mattered if they had send SSO, SOBR or Gru Spetsnaz

Hellfire

Professional
Country flag
So u mean to say garuds have requirement of quads
Not likely.

Why would you want to carry additional weight (yes, weight increases with increase in the numbers) over your head while executing an op, weight that is invariably skewed & tends to strain neck muscles over period of time?

While Bino may give a better "feel" for "depth", and be more apt for driving than a mono, quads will indicate requirement for use where more finer appreciation is needed & where weight considerations affecting operator performance are minimized..... pilots?

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Not likely.

Why would you want to carry additional weight (yes, weight increases with increase in the numbers) over your head while executing an op, weight that is invariably skewed & tends to strain neck muscles over period of time?

While Bino may give a better "feel" for "depth", and be more apt for driving than a mono, quads will indicate requirement for use where more finer appreciation is needed & where weight considerations affecting operator performance are minimized..... pilots?
The RFI says that the NVDs are to be attached to Bullet proof helmets, don’t think they’re for pilots

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Not likely.

Hellfire Ji
Quads are an absolute asset to have....
Doesn't the Americans almost exclusively use them for DA raids on HVTs like the OBL raid?
Where they don't have to run/trek/travel for miles on end and all the "action" was limted to a single compound
Again I'm no expert on NODs, don't worship Americans either, but they certainly has more actual spec ops experience

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Gunship pilots??

That is why "not likely". Not a "no".
Do gun ship pilots use bulletproof helmets? Don’t think they’d start upgrading gear for the Hind family of helos. C130J and MH 60Rs came with AN AVS 9, so I’m assuming even the Apache came with them as even the yanks use the same on the Apache. Unless they’re planning on buying these for LCH or Rudra(AFAIK they use Elbit NVGs on these but not sure).

Hellfire

Professional
Country flag
Hellfire Ji
Quads are an absolute asset to have....
Doesn't the Americans almost exclusively use them for DA raids on HVTs like the OBL raid?
Where they don't have to run/trek/travel for miles on end and all the "action" was limted to a single compound
Again I'm no expert on NODs, don't worship Americans either, but they certainly has more actual spec ops experience
Can you post videos/photos of Quads in use during the said raid?

And what makes you think (with certainty) US has more special ops experience? Any study of data?

Hellfire

Professional
Country flag
Do gun ship pilots use bulletproof helmets? Don’t think they’d start upgrading gear for the Hind family of helos. C130J and MH 60Rs came with AN AVS 9, so I’m assuming even the Apache came with them as even the yanks use the same on the Apache. Unless they’re planning on buying these for LCH or Rudra(AFAIK they use Elbit NVGs on these but not sure).
Will try to check for who these are heading...

Tactical Doge

Country flag

And what makes you think (with certainty) US has more special ops experience? Any study of data?
I don't have any material whatsoever of that raid other than word of mouth, by retired seal (probably for lobbying), seals are not the only ones using them, even some German police unit has GPNVGs

I set the helmet on my head and pulled down my night vision goggles, or NVGs. Unlike some of the conventional units, we had NVGs with four tubes instead of the usual two. This allowed us a field of view of 120 degrees instead of just 40 degrees. The standard goggles were like looking through toilet paper tubes,” Matt Bissonette wrote in “No Easy Day,” his firsthand account of the mission to kill the terrorist mastermind

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

I don't have any material whatsoever of that raid other than word of mouth, by retired seal (probably for lobbying), seals are not the only ones using them, even some German police unit has GPNVGs

I set the helmet on my head and pulled down my night vision goggles, or NVGs. Unlike some of the conventional units, we had NVGs with four tubes instead of the usual two. This allowed us a field of view of 120 degrees instead of just 40 degrees. The standard goggles were like looking through toilet paper tubes,” Matt Bissonette wrote in “No Easy Day,” his firsthand account of the mission to kill the terrorist mastermind

List of known users of GPNVG 18 compiled by @Gessler

Tactical Doge

Country flag
Isn't that, like, given ...... :notsure:

Every other US Veteran from SF Community in YouTube has been in a DA raid (both day/night), which happens regularly
Unlike Indian SF who is pretty much only doing "encounters" in Low intensity conflict for the most part, again, I'm not asserting anything, I know that certain units do some bug in - bug out stuff, but nowhere near the magnitude, the OBL raid itself is a prime example of Umriki SF capability, we don't have the technological prowess, neither the will
Atleast that is my understanding, you can correct me if necessary

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles