Indian Special Forces

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Can’t argue with any of this

Problem is the entire system failed in Pathankot- the terrorists should never have gotten anywhere near the airbase, they should’ve been intercepted by local police (we know instead they were helping the terrorists get to the airbase), they shouldn’t have been able to breach the perimeter (they did very easily) as DSC and IAF police are meant to protect from that, only then was it a Garud problem. The role Garuds play in these strategic bases is QRT hence they will always be there in limited numbers. Yes this incident may have highlighted the limitations in deploying them in such limited numbers but at the same time it’s not that feasible to have them in significantly larger numbers at all these foreword airbases considering they have other primary roles.

After pathankot I believe the IAF plans to double the strength of Garuds so perhaps they are looking to address this but IMO that’s treating the symptom and not the cause. Instead the airbases need to be fortified, technology employed and the actual force protection security forces like DSC/IAF police need to be upgraded, unskilled and expanded.

This is generally the problem with India- failings are systemic and not individual hence the incentive is always to brush things under the carpet for fear of tainting everyone. There’s the Swiss cheese model but in india there are 10x as many holes and they are much bigger so they align much more often.

Garuds will never live up to their potential until they get more autonomy and the IAF actually understands their role, it’s not good enough just to raise a SOF, the IAF needs to raise entire rescue squadrons of which Garuds are just one part.

For what it’s worth:

After watching the entire video, I’ve noticed that our very own ALH Mk 4 aka Rudra has almost all if not all the mentioned self protection systems and features this helo has barring the A2A refuelling capabilities and door side guns. Now I’ve noticed the Russians like to use rockets and pod cannons on their CSAR helos instead of heavy door guns like the Americans.
I don’t think we need A2A refuelling right now as most of our engagements are realistically within the range of the helo.
A modified Rudra with perhaps jettisonable fuel tanks with provisions for carrying rockets or A2A missiles would to, I think the chin mounted cannon would suffice for heavy machine gun fire and door mounted MMGs would work .

Aditya Roy

Country flag
SSGN should not be mentioned on a Military forum. They are the worst of the worst.
Well, they trained Kasab et al.

From what I have seen, they tend to keep a low profile compared to SSG(Army). They do have Marcos like capabilities, at least on paper. Also, are closely linked to the ISI's version of SOG and adequately armed including tactical weaponry and fancy gadgets.

Aditya Roy

Country flag
I won't judge the Guards based on the Pathankot incident only, even though I don't think highly of them. Nearly a decade ago, the Pakistani Navy bases were hot targets of the 'Bad/Punjabi Taliban'. Remember during one of these attacks at a Pak naval base, Pakistani SSG(N) guys were shot dead before they could even fire a single bullet. Ultimately, SSGs came and finished the op(if I am not wrong). When it comes to airbase aerial surveillance technology we are a decade(maybe even more) behind the Western/NATO standard.
#Garuds ...damn autocorrect

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles