Indian Special Forces

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Can't explain an M4 (with iron sights) in the hands of an operator, they have them for familiarisation but to take it out on the range like this is bizarre. But then again this is literally a photoshoot

@Gessler you're needed, lots for you to break down

It's been that way for over a decade now
Is the rear iron sight with carrying handle removable?
Could explain the M4s NSG were carrying in Jordan, perhaps few types were purchased again for familiarisation.
1621358242550.jpeg

Gessler

Country flag
View attachment 90439
Ok So....... Can someone explain this? The guns the gear? The sights etc etc? Also a painful realisation that nsg is better equipped than para SF :playball:

View attachment 90442
Top pic: L to R

FN F2000 with a sight I've definitely seen before but can't seem to identify now, Colt M4A1 carbine, FN SCAR-L CQC with Aimpoint Comp M4 reflex sight

Bottom pic: L to R

FN F2000 with its own proprietary sight (pic below), 2 x SIG MPXs with SIG's own ROMEO4S reflex sight & Glock GTL-51/52 flashlight+laser combo, FN P90 with same ROMEO4S sight.

All of them have some version of PVS-14 monocular night vision (each manufacturer's housing differs slightly, so hard to say exactly which one. Lots of companies make PVS-14s).

Yes, all Colt M4s manufactured recently have removable carry handle. In fact if you look closely you can see the picatinny rail underneath.

@Gessler you're needed, lots for you to break down
Did a little bit above:

"
> MP-5s really seem to be on their way out, the MPX indeed seems to be the intended full replacement
> CPG Raider-Ex helmets seem to have been procured in large quantity, more than likely intended replacement of ACH "

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Posting all interesting ones here:

Interesting points to note:

> MP-5s really seem to be on their way out, the MPX indeed seems to be the intended full replacement
> CPG Raider-Ex helmets seem to have been procured in large quantity, more than likely intended replacement of ACH

@abingdonboy
This album makes me so happy. Finally after so many Godzillas.......

tejas10

Country flag
That attitude is due to the training of making a canon fodder not think of being a cannon fodder.

It is exactly like they train a terrorist and he thinks he is invincible and a single terrorist goes head on against an Army.

It is a major lack of exposure.

Has the Major even stepped out of his backyard to make the outlandish comment? BIG NO

And sorry to say i will be very shocked if he even knows the name of more than 5 NATO SF units and 10 equipments they use.

And if you interact with SF soldiers/NSG/SPG you will come to know that mentally they are not there.

I will be very shocked it anything major happens from here.
Hey man, appreciate your posts here with your knowledge of insight and perspective. I would, however, be cautious about openly calling out someone like Maj. Jacob. Him and his father, who I will not name, were both in 9 and are well known in the active/veteran SF community. He has also alluded to serving in the "doosriwali paltan" in some of his podcasts and I will allow the educated members in this forum to guess the rest. Point being, he will not disclose much of what he knows on the internet besides typical josh on forums intended for aspiring army recruits.

Secondly, must admit, I lurk this forum to gain the latest insight into Indian SF, as I have a lot of family members and friends currently serving and apart from historical knowledge do not know much about current situation, but I would like to add that for the most part, our mandate has been quite different from NATO SF who operate outside their national borders. In that sense, I think our SF mandate is still stuck in the much like the Israeli's did with their commando brigade. Equipment aside, mandate must fit mission parameters. We need good equipment and gear, but an open question: How good is a hi-cut helmet with comtacs in the humid jungles of the NE or the dense forests of Kashmir where even satellite reception is quite poor. This is an open question for the forum to ask and it is an honest, sincere question. Would like all's input.

Scramjet

Country flag
Hey man, appreciate your posts here with your knowledge of insight and perspective. I would, however, be cautious about openly calling out someone like Maj. Jacob. Him and his father, who I will not name, were both in 9 and are well known in the active/veteran SF community. He has also alluded to serving in the "doosriwali paltan" in some of his podcasts and I will allow the educated members in this forum to guess the rest. Point being, he will not disclose much of what he knows on the internet besides typical josh on forums intended for aspiring army recruits.

Secondly, must admit, I lurk this forum to gain the latest insight into Indian SF, as I have a lot of family members and friends currently serving and apart from historical knowledge do not know much about current situation, but I would like to add that for the most part, our mandate has been quite different from NATO SF who operate outside their national borders. In that sense, I think our SF mandate is still stuck in the much like the Israeli's did with their commando brigade. Equipment aside, mandate must fit mission parameters. We need good equipment and gear, but an open question: How good is a hi-cut helmet with comtacs in the humid jungles of the NE or the dense forests of Kashmir where even satellite reception is quite poor. This is an open question for the forum to ask and it is an honest, sincere question. Would like all's input.
High cuts with no comms are doing good in the valley, can't say about jungle conditions

PicsArt_04-11-10.02.48_photos_v2_x2_toned.jpg

tejas10

Country flag
High cuts with no comms are doing good in the valley, can't say about jungle conditions

View attachment 90467
My basic point was that equipment should cater to specific mission parameters. On a 7-8 day LRP in jungles, even carrying a extra couple grams of rations is considered in troop weight allocation, so extra batteries for COMTACS etc do not make sense. Hence, the boonie hats, bandanas and "rag tag" militia look. Its not one size fits all.

However, as has been noted here, My overall point is that unless India gets an equivalent to SOCOM with its structure catering to C and C, doctrines, equipment, tasking, deployment capabilities and separate intelligence support for all tri-service SF's, we will continue to see this pathetic state of hi-cuts in built-up areas without proper comms, where they are very much necessary.
I remember in the 90s, Gen Joshi wanted to implement such a structure but it has been lost in turf wars and I do not know of any changes taking place today even with the political hullaballoo of "surgical strike" which sf and ghataks have been carrying out with daredevilry for decades.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Could explain the M4s NSG were carrying in Jordan, perhaps few types were purchased again for familiarisation.
View attachment 90447
No, A lot of Canadian M4A1s were purchased for Karnataka police commandos but some were sent to NSG afaik.

Knowitall

NSG and even the recent CRPF upgrades show that the MHA is doing an excellent job in bringing up these forces to modern days standards.

The road ahead is still long but if this pace of modernization can be continued we are surely looking at great days ahead.

NSG's growth has truly been remarkable from tactics to constant upgrades and specialized equipment they really seem to be doing an excellent job.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag

I am not calling out anyone my friend.

Without giving proper equipments if you ask someone to charge at the enemy that too in Urban environment what should i call it if not cannon fodder?

The thing is most of you guys look at it from the perspective of being fans of SF and having god like following for SF officers ..so a guy like me stating facts here doesnt get counter debated but taunted.

Whereas my perspective of making a comment is from the mindset that i have lost family members on LOC.

Could they have been saved by better equipment? Maybe yes.

If they would have been alive today would i have been so critical of the modernization..Maybe not.

But one thing lets not make excuses of terrain on the lack of vision in our Army.

Most of the 911 calls for Para SF are for Urban environment ops which is the majority in Kashmir.

So if you and me agree that our SF are not mutants what these equipment does is increases situational awareness.

Which results is better kill % and also safety for own troops.

Why dont we agree that in the last 30 years we could have shown atleast some innovation and invented few products?

Aspirant847

Country flag
I am not calling out anyone my friend.

Without giving proper equipments if you ask someone to charge at the enemy that too in Urban environment what should i call it if not cannon fodder?

The thing is most of you guys look at it from the perspective of being fans of SF and having god like following for SF officers ..so a guy like me stating facts here doesnt get counter debated but taunted.

Whereas my perspective of making a comment is from the mindset that i have lost family members on LOC.

Could they have been saved by better equipment? Maybe yes.

If they would have been alive today would i have been so critical of the modernization..Maybe not.

But one thing lets not make excuses of terrain on the lack of vision in our Army.

Most of the 911 calls for Para SF are for Urban environment ops which is the majority in Kashmir.

So if you and me agree that our SF are not mutants what these equipment does is increases situational awareness.

Which results is better kill % and also safety for own troops.

Why dont we agree that in the last 30 years we could have shown atleast some innovation and invented few products?
I think everyone agrees we need to work on that.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles