Indian Special Forces

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag

My perspective of tri-service SOFs under the AFSOD

Equipments
Quarter Zips of 6 para(Airborne)camo
Exfil Ballistic High Cuts with 2.0 rails
Armasen Tactical SF RIG,WASP, and other tactical equipment
Sig-716i with ACOG 3.5Γ—35 with off sight RDS, peq-15,grip with built in adjustable bipod .
Tonbo BNVD-P or BNVD
A repost of my previous comment as many people had problems while seeing the picture , through Instagram

Scramjet

Country flag
Found a picture of PARA SF of Army Day 2021 with modern plate carrier

Probably wearing CIRAS plate carrier
file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/images%20(34).jpeg

Maybe Personal Imported Procurement
Garuds are having molle plate carriers as a standard issue now, I hope that Para SF also starts getting the same

Gessler

Country flag
IMO, SPG CAT teams are not that well equipped
Compare their kit to FBI HRT or American SS CAT teams
But nevertheless they are one of the best in Close protection
Us secret service CAt team member, they are drawn from police forces and easily kitted out with special operations forces level equipment
Compare this with SPG CAT

View attachment 89455
Precisely. I had once written about this in the old thread:

In terms of equipment, SPG CAT really isn't that much better than any other Indian unit, it's just that because of these two reasons:

1) Uniformity in gear & clothing
2) SPG CAT guys are usually bulkier & 'fill out' their frame really well

...an illusion of being 'better equipped' is created. It's true that CAT training & flexibility of funds allocation is several notches higher on the scale of being more 'open minded' and adapting techniques learnt from foreign instructors really well.

However, their choices of weaponry (especially FN F2000) does not speak very well to practicality. Style over substance seems to be the case. Some SCAR-Hs have come in, but in terms of main assault weapon in 5.56, the F2K remains predominant.

The almost religious adherence to weapons from FNH and FNH alone (F2K & SCAR rifles, P90 PDW, Five-seveN pistol) also hints at some middle-man scoring a big victory rather than true operator-level knowledge, training & preference trickling into weapon choices. Note that I'm not saying they are 'bad' weapons per se, FNH is top-notch in terms of quality (though I'd always smell a rat whenever someone decides to buy a bullpup, any bullpup, over a modern AR-15 platform), but that level of single-vendor preference across arsenal is hard to find in most places.

@abingdonboy @rkhanna

abingdonboy

Country flag
Precisely. I had once written about this in the old thread:

In terms of equipment, SPG CAT really isn't that much better than any other Indian unit, it's just that because of these two reasons:

1) Uniformity in gear & clothing
2) SPG CAT guys are usually bulkier & 'fill out' their frame really well

...an illusion of being 'better equipped' is created. It's true that CAT training & flexibility of funds allocation is several notches higher on the scale of being more 'open minded' and adapting techniques learnt from foreign instructors really well.

However, their choices of weaponry (especially FN F2000) does not speak very well to practicality. Style over substance seems to be the case. Some SCAR-Hs have come in, but in terms of main assault weapon in 5.56, the F2K remains predominant.

The almost religious adherence to weapons from FNH and FNH alone (F2K & SCAR rifles, P90 PDW, Five-seveN pistol) also hints at some middle-man scoring a big victory rather than true operator-level knowledge, training & preference trickling into weapon choices. Note that I'm not saying they are 'bad' weapons per se, FNH is top-notch in terms of quality (though I'd always smell a rat whenever someone decides to buy a bullpup, any bullpup, over a modern AR-15 platform), but that level of single-vendor preference across arsenal is hard to find in most places.

@abingdonboy @rkhanna
The SPG CAT is an interesting beast.

SPG as an organisation are very dynamic and innovative and definitely are not ones to stand still but I agree their CAT/SIU wing have been rather stagnant for some time now and their ethos seems to be to act more as a deterrence than a combat ready heavy assault force meant to bring overwhelming firepower down on an attacker in order to break contact to allow the CPT to get the protectee away.

Even taking the USSS CAT out of the equation as they have literally decades of experience, almost endless resources and a mammoth support infrastructure, there are others that show the shortcomings of SPG CAT/SIU in their current guise

South Korean Presidential security CAT:

1620906967402.png

That said I don't doubt that the CAT/SIU are very professional people and their drills will likely be top notch as they search for expertise allover the world however they seem to be suffering a degree of complacency/mission ambiguity which likely comes from the fact that a force like SPG had never existed in India and a counter assault unit is so niche that there's not really that much depth of knowledge in how to employ them and (thankfully I guess) they've never actually been exposed to a real world threat (even though they are doing the job 365 days a year)

They've updated their gear but not their mission

1620908229169.png

Maitreya Shyam

Country flag
The SPG CAT is an interesting beast.

SPG as an organisation are very dynamic and innovative and definitely are not ones to stand still but I agree their CAT/SIU wing have been rather stagnant for some time now and their ethos seems to be to act more as a deterrence than a combat ready heavy assault force meant to bring overwhelming firepower down on an attacker in order to break contact to allow the CPT to get the protectee away.

Even taking the USSS CAT out of the equation as they have literally decades of experience, almost endless resources and a mammoth support infrastructure, there are others that show the shortcomings of SPG CAT/SIU in their current guise

South Korean Presidential security CAT:

View attachment 89541

That said I don't doubt that the CAT/SIU are very professional people and their drills will likely be top notch as they search for expertise allover the world however they seem to be suffering a degree of complacency/mission ambiguity which likely comes from the fact that a force like SPG had never existed in India and a counter assault unit is so niche that there's not really that much depth of knowledge in how to employ them and (thankfully I guess) they've never actually been exposed to a real world threat (even though they are doing the job 365 days a year)

They've updated their gear but not their mission

View attachment 89542
Well South Korea got military aid

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

Aspirant847

Country flag
No use of any sit-in.
The soldiers themselves seem very content and have a somewhat luddite mentality regarding better gears.

I'm still slightly irked by the confidence exuded by Retd. Major Vivek Jacob when he said "we're the fucking best".
I don't believe that, neither will most onlookers.
SOF isn't all about the will and the kill, they're literally the best our country can offer.

Gear matters, uniformity matters.
There's a reason why Josef Goebbels placed such a high priority on uniform of the SS (what, with the aid of Hugo Boss and whatnot) or, in recent memory, Thatcher's wish to make a spectacle out of the Iranian embassy siege.

Psychological warfare matters too. When you see the picture of a Para operative, do you feel overwhelmed?
I don't. Some of them literally look like chapri nibbas with guns.
Yet, Retd. Major Vivek Jacob is content. I don't know if his mentality is the prevalent one, but if it is, no point of any amount of sit ins.

The change must be intrinsic. They're not barbies we can dress up and play war with.

(Disclaimer: I never played with Barbies, or fought a war with them. And that white liquid on that barbie in my closet is totally paint and not what it looks like.)
maj. Vivek jacob(retd)*

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles