Indian Special Forces

rkhanna

Country flag
I don’t agree in any way that Ranger Regmt is comparable to SFF
I meant from a ORBAT perspective. Not capability perspective. SFF is to Paras what Rangers is to the 82nd in a loose sense.

And SFF performance and employment in 71 vs that if the Paras is in that direction. Also the cladestine ops theybhave run in china in the 70s and 80s.

Like i said a SOF unit is not just about selection and training. It's also about employment. Yes the SFF doesn't have as rigor a selection as say the Paras. But their training is topnotch. Their small unit battle tactics in the mountains is very evolved. They have been at the forefront of testing new specialized kit that laters get distributed to the wider army. They train to be sabatoers inside china as well as train for FID to reactivate the tibetian resistance again (or supposedly)

Their mission tasking will go miles ahead of what the Paras will be tasked to do or ghataks. They will be our pathfinders if ever the border goes pound.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I meant from a ORBAT perspective. Not capability perspective. SFF is to Paras what Rangers is to the 82nd in a loose sense.
Hmmm I'm not too sure about that either. 82nd has there own pathfinders and aren't under SOCOM, Rangers are SFs in their own right. SFF-Ragner comparison just doesn't add up for me.

They have been at the forefront of testing new specialized kit that laters get distributed to the wider army.
I mean there's a few isolated cases of this (which I guess makes sense as they are outside of the Army HQ babudom) but it's not a universal rule. Their equipment standards today are about on par with a Ghatak platoon deployed on the LoC.

Their mission tasking will go miles ahead of what the Paras will be tasked to do or ghataks. They will be our pathfinders if ever the border goes pound.
This I HIGHLY doubt, I've actually spoken to a couple of Paras privately and asked them specifically about SFF and they have never had any cross training with them so there's no battle plans that exist for SFFs to be used in that role nor would they seem to be needed for that as Paras have their own pathfinder companies in the battalions furthermore what little opinion the Paras did have of SFF were not glowing.

The SFF are decent in the mountains because that is their natural habitat but they seem to be pretty irrelevant anywhere else and don't bring much to the table that any regular light infantry battalion doesn't have today.

Other than mountaineering I'm not even sure how decent their actual combat skills are
NSG providing security during last year's R-Day Parade
Now that is interesting, these are the 'big boys'- 51 SAG, I always wondered if they were present during these events as usually when you see NSG deployed during R-Day it is SRG and they are there to act as a CAT, 51 SAG are, I guess, forward deployed in case of a hostage situation.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles