Indian Special Forces

SGOperative

Even Sub Maj. Chandravijay sahb of 1 para SF said the same in his interview, in a week's schedule they conducted 3 covert operations.
But i think Shushant Sir said that Maj Mohit Sharma sir was different than others because usually locals used to do the talking while for Maj Mohit Sharma he was more engaged.

shouryav105

Is 9 Para the best battalion out of all the other SF battalions in terms of training, drills, and ops?
I know that every unit has its own specialization like some specialized in jungle warfare some in the desert but if we have to choose one then which would it be?

shouryav105

From what I have heard 21 para sf is better than other jungle warfare specialized units,
9 para is better than other mountain warfare units and 10 para is better than other desert warfare units.
So are these 3 units on the same level of eliteness or one is better than the others?

mustang 0408

Country flag
Is 9 Para the best battalion out of all the other SF battalions in terms of training, drills, and ops?
I know that every unit has its own specialization like some specialized in jungle warfare some in the desert but if we have to choose one then which would it be?
9 PARA is considered the best since it is permanently deployed in ops in j and k and even before that, they gained considerable experience in srilanka (1987). Its simple logic the unit which sees the most action is the best hence giving 9 an edge over others. This forms a cycle, a unit constantly engaged in combat has high standards and have honed their drills to perfection which is imparted to the probies and the cycle continues....

mustang 0408

Country flag
From what I have heard 21 para sf is better than other jungle warfare specialized units,
9 para is better than other mountain warfare units and 10 para is better than other desert warfare units.
So are these 3 units on the same level of eliteness or one is better than the others?
you cant compare them, these 3 are considered the cream since they are older units and as a matter of fact 12 and 4 para have proven their mettle against the enemy but they are newer units and it takes time to build the reputation and legacy.

shouryav105

you can't compare them, these 3 are considered the cream since they are older units and as a matter of fact 12 and 4 para have proven their mettle against the enemy but they are newer units and it takes time to build the reputation and legacy.
Yes, I know about 4 also being exceptionally good unit but if to choose one,9 would be 1st choice for mountain warfare as it was the 1st sf unit but although 12 is good and older than 21, 21 has proved itself more active and better I think.

mustang 0408

Country flag
Yes, I know about 4 also being exceptionally good unit but if to choose one,9 would be 1st choice for mountain warfare as it was the 1st sf unit but although 12 is good and older than 21, 21 has proved itself more active and better I think.
21 is older than 12

SGOperative

Older units > Newer units.

Scramjet

Country flag
9 PARA is considered the best since it is permanently deployed in ops in j and k and even before that, they gained considerable experience in srilanka (1987). Its simple logic the unit which sees the most action is the best hence giving 9 an edge over others. This forms a cycle, a unit constantly engaged in combat has high standards and have honed their drills to perfection which is imparted to the probies and the cycle continues....
Summary :
Meghdoot force got absorbed into para regt (due to their mandate at that time) and was named as 9 para cdo. 9 para cdo later split into 9 para cdo and 10 para cdo. Then instead of raising a new bn, 1 punjab got converted into 1 para cdo. Similarly, 21 MLI got converted into 21 para cdo(later SF) in 1996.
These units have seen a lot of action in wars and Counter Insurgency/Counter terror ops.
Newer units do see action

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Even the army knows SF need a massive upgrade particularly in the Small arms but this was about 3 years ago

SGOperative

Even the army knows SF need a massive upgrade particularly in the Small arms but this was about 3 years ago
I feel many people in key positions have realized the importance of SOFs but the bureaucracy is a pain.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
I feel many people in key positions have realized the importance of SOFs but the bureaucracy is a pain.
Our bureaucracy is one hell of a problem we aren't changing for the time and are thinking that we will fight in our own terms.and at the end we will pay the price.we bring Guinea pigs for the israelis for a rifle that is just not suited for a SF mandate.guns themselves will not make any change its the so called " force multipliers " that make the change .an vanilla hk 416 a5 with no " force multipliers will not give measurable any advantage to even an enemy with a m16 of vietnam era.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles