Indian Special Forces

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
Dual Tube NVDs have been in Army Aviation Corps usage for quite some time now. Especially with 202 HU, Soaring Gideons as they're called. They routinely work with SF for infil and exfil jobs.

I remember seeing them in the Mission Army (I think it was called that only, don't remember the exact name) documentary series by Nat Geo in the Army Aviation Episode, atleast 7-8 years ago. (Correction - 10 years ago)

View attachment 115871
Okay , what is the difference in the sizes and capacity of the famous 202 HU Soaring Gideons with 160th SOAR . Like the latest comparison and its growth.. I know that the SOAR is the JSOCs favourite pet bird but what else

rkhanna

Country flag
Okay , what is the difference in the sizes and capacity of the famous 202 HU Soaring Gideons with 160th SOAR . Like the latest comparison and its growth.. I know that the SOAR is the JSOCs favourite pet bird but what else
The difference is between night and day, apple and oranges and thumbs up and gin and tonic.

One is a SOF the other isn't.

armyofhind

Country flag
Men wise, SOAR guys go through a selection that is almost to the level of SOF units. Not exactly at par, but quite close.

Machines wise, they operate a whole lot of different weight classes - from large Chinooks to small Little Birds.

Indian Army Aviators do serve in infantry or other arms before actually making it to Army Aviation.

Machines wise, the 202 HU only operates the Dhruv as far as I know.
In the Indian context, we do not need a unit the size of SOAR, because the Indian military isn't expeditionary in nature. Capability wise, never hurts to have more.

Hariharan_kalarikkal

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag
I believe none of Indian helicopters use terrain following radar like US SOF.
Dhruv Mk-III with Navy and Coast guard can't do the same with their Nose mounted radar?πŸ€”

abingdonboy

Country flag
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you , upon 1-1/2 year of Armasen entering the market one thing has become clear that although they chose to keep some things in secret it is highly unlikely that they wouldn't talk about their products in the description . There had been special forces purchases before by Para SF , Afghan Special forces and police units, etc and every time they chose to reveal their purchase products . They always demonstrate and give links to their products but choose to not mention units, personell information and their orders and its numbers . They also do not give info of the other equipment that is used by the unit they are supplying. But due to specific marketting activities they always speck out their products .
After the fact maybe (when it's made public), they certainly didn't talk about supplying MARCOs before the MALABAR photos were made public.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Absolutely everything from human capital, training, mandate, operational commitments, mission equipment, product selection etc etc.

202 HU is basically a regular HU with a 'special' mandate ie to support SF missions in the North but they are line AAC pilots flying standard AAC equipment. Their employment tactics may be slightly different because of who they fly and how they want to be inserted/exfilled but most rotary wing pilots in the Indian military will train for SHBO at some point.

It's an insult to both parties to compare 202 with the 160th.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Men wise, SOAR guys go through a selection that is almost to the level of SOF units. Not exactly at par, but quite close.
Not even just the pilots. Every single frontline member of SOAR has to be selected from conventional units- the crew chiefs, gunners, mechanics etc all are the top of their game.

It's not hyperbole to say the 160th are the best helicopter pilots in the world but that's because the entire mechanism behind them is the most professional rotary wing unit in existence.

Hariharan_kalarikkal

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

Hariharan_kalarikkal

Country flag

rkhanna

Country flag
It is definitely Para( we’ll never know conclusively if it’s SF or Airborne), watch the whole thing you’ll see a soldier with GTAR-21.
There are enough GTARs in non para units and RR. Not saying it's not SF but a TAR is not proof of SF

Global Defence

New threads

Articles