Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconZero

Country flag
in 1961 US was flying the u2 with the same budget and experimenting the SR71 ..where are we?
In 1961 US had a defense budget of ~48 billion USD which is roughly equal to 414 billion USD today if adjust it for inflation, our current defense budget is around ~60 billion USD or so, around 30% goes in paying salary, we are left with remaining 42billion USD now compare that with 414 billion USD, it's absurd.
But is there room for improvement? Yes by a lot. Give 10 to 15 years we will achieve not bomber but likes of Ghatak UCAV, hopefully AMCA etc. Despite the budget constraint we have successfully tested HSTDV, array of missiles, our own fighter aircraft,etc.
You are comparing a country whic had fully established MIC and benefitted the most after world war 2 to a country which got independence 70 years ago and still struggling with varieties of issues. We have achieved a lot but there's always more to be desired, also, i don't think it's a valid comparison because state of the countries were/are way different. Sorry for being OT.
Coming back to SF, yeah, we need an overhaul, i think everyone here agrees with that....

AZTEC

Country flag
it doesnt necessarily mean with advancement of economy such systems develop.
Yes, it does mean that. I forgot to answer this part of your question adequately so I am doing it here.

Economic advancement and technological advancement are dependent on each other. The latter is a subset of the former.

A nation can’t have economic advancement without technological advancement, especially if the nation’s economy is not commodity-driven. (Example of a commodity-driven economy is Saudi Arabia)

History tells us that the rise of a superpower is accompanied by the rise of its economy.

And wise men say that history repeats itself.

Let’s continue this discussion on other threads because we are diverting from SF.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Yes, it does mean that. I forgot to answer this part of your question adequately so I am doing it here.

Economic advancement and technological advancement are dependent on each other. The latter is a subset of the former.

A nation can’t have economic advancement without technological advancement, especially if the nation’s economy is not commodity-driven. (Example of a commodity-driven economy is Saudi Arabia)

History tells us that the rise of a superpower is accompanied by the rise of its economy.

And wise men say that history repeats itself.

Let’s continue this discussion on other threads because we are diverting from SF.
If that logic was true then China would be a military power in innovation and skills and Russia would be a economic power.

Buts thats not true..arguement closed.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
In 1961 US had a defense budget of ~48 billion USD which is roughly equal to 414 billion USD today if adjust it for inflation, our current defense budget is around ~60 billion USD or so, around 30% goes in paying salary, we are left with remaining 42billion USD now compare that with 414 billion USD, it's absurd.
But is there room for improvement? Yes by a lot. Give 10 to 15 years we will achieve not bomber but likes of Ghatak UCAV, hopefully AMCA etc. Despite the budget constraint we have successfully tested HSTDV, array of missiles, our own fighter aircraft,etc.
You are comparing a country whic had fully established MIC and benefitted the most after world war 2 to a country which got independence 70 years ago and still struggling with varieties of issues. We have achieved a lot but there's always more to be desired, also, i don't think it's a valid comparison because state of the countries were/are way different. Sorry for being OT.
Coming back to SF, yeah, we need an overhaul, i think everyone here agrees with that....
There is no excuse of not being able to provide a rifle, comtac,nvg and gear to a soldier with our budget.

Forget u2 and sr71.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
There is no excuse of not being able to provide a rifle, comtac,nvg and gear to a soldier with our budget.

Forget u2 and sr71.
Even our special force lack comtac, NVGs of good quality and a decent rifle.
we are using Tavors, no doubt are good but an’t handy in every ops

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Even our special force lack comtac, NVGs of good quality and a decent rifle.
we are using Tavors, no doubt are good but an’t handy in every ops
That has to do with planning.The officers are to be blammed for ordering a Scar and lacking comtacs and proper nvd.

Secondly,uniform.
I dont know where has the pride in uniform vanished?

Again officers to be blammed.

Lastly, the gap in infantry and sf has to be closed for sf to be deployed elsewhere than ci/ct ops.

Again officers to be blammed for this.But not SF officers but Wellington passed out staff car wale officers.

Edyk12

Country flag
In such operations, there is no use of SFs in my view. Such operations are mostly carried out by blasting the house sheltering terrorists. Such operations should be carried out by Local RR units with CRPF QAT leading the charge. SFs Should not be used in such an operation unless it's like pampore 2016 ops. Even there we got 3 of ours SFs KIA.
SFs should be used as they were used in 2007/08 when a small SF team killed Son of Lakhvi in Dense Kupwara Forests. These ops for SFs are mostly photo ops only. Then again, it's my view and the army differs from it...
Yep....

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Yes! India already has a military base or at least an observation station in Mauritius.
In Seychelles, it is election time for them, and since the rulling part opposed Indian base its unlikely, but the good part is the current election the opposition party might come into power which is pro-India. In the future, probably we might have a military base in Madagascar as well, but under heavy opposition. Djibouti is also an offer we had, but I don't know much about that.
But overall, in the future when geopolitics change, countries change, and for that to happen we need good economy, but in the future its possible to have a Marine Corps.
About the Marine Corps becoming the 4th branch of the Armed forces, is not possible, at most it might be a dedicated department under the Indian Navy!!!
Can India now negotiate, with Seychelles for a military base?? It comes to the competence of MEA!!

AZTEC

Country flag
If that logic was true then China would be a military power in innovation and skills and Russia would be a economic power.

Buts thats not true..arguement closed.
No offence, but I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall.

Russia is partly a commodity driven economy so it is an exception.
And yes, Russia was a economic power when it was Soviet Union.
It’s present MIC is a handover from its cold war past.

And the China part of your question was answered in my previous posts. Please see them more carefully.

Please continue this discussion on other threads.

Last edited:

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
That has to do with planning.The officers are to be blammed for ordering a Scar and lacking comtacs and proper nvd.

Secondly,uniform.
I dont know where has the pride in uniform vanished?

Again officers to be blammed.

Lastly, the gap in infantry and sf has to be closed for sf to be deployed elsewhere than ci/ct ops.

Again officers to be blammed for this.But not SF officers but Wellington passed out staff car wale officers.
An HK416 with all accessories attached costs less than a SCAR-H rifle. And HK416 is much reliable but idk why SCAR-L/H were bought for SF.

Phantom sierra

Country flag
An HK416 with all accessories attached costs less than a SCAR-H rifle. And HK416 is much reliable but idk why SCAR-L/H were bought for SF.

If I am not wrong hk is not allowed to sell weapons to non NATO countries ( I read this in an article) so that pretty much throws the option of hk 416 out of the window. Though, I agree that a cheaper yet effective weapon could be purchased instead of SCAR.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
But advanced guns are also useless if necessary things are not available like ComTacs, nvgs,proper sights,etc.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
An ex Indian Army officer on the forum claimed that Marcos are already deployed in Ladakh.

But they seem to be getting deployed now

It is understood that Navy’s marine commandos have been asked to be deployed in East Ladakh where the Indian Army is locked in a stand-off with People’s Liberation Army (PLA) at Gogra-Hot Springs and both banks of Pangong Tso lake. The MARCOS will be deployed with the Indian Special Forces to gain experience in polar desert conditions with high wind chill factor and heavy snow.

Phantom sierra

Country flag
Or maybe COD...where else is it romanticized so much?

People say it has reliability issues..some say Navy Seals didn't like them.

And that for such an expensive rifle.

God knows.

If we are to look at Indian options for arming the sf with better guns then sss defence is producing SOPMOD AK but it's been a while since I heard about it's progress. From what I know it will have a free floating barrel and picattany rails( not sure about this one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles