Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I don’t know what’s the difference between 9 Para and other Para SF units like 1,2,3,4,10,11,12 and 21. At the end of the day, they are all Para SF so they must have gone through same probation as everyone else. Also, I don’t expect attitude of a 4 Para operator to be different from 9 Para. Maybe cuz 9 Para is the oldest, they are revered but in practical terms, I don’t see the difference.
Not coz its oldest but its a bad ass unit.

Why is it bad ass...simple high adrenaline combat experience.

The operator was saying that in the last 14 years in 9 Para he spent 9.5 in combat.He did not see civilised life for 1 year and 8 months and had a difficult time adjusting.

This sort of combat is unheard of in any other SF and even in Para SF is a lot which is very over deployed.

No disrespect just an example..Is there a difference between a pitbull who stays in a mansion and a pitbull who is into street fightings?

Both are pitbulls..but characters are different.

Look at his attitude..he said i respect Seals but what we do they cannot.I can kill people when i m naked in the snow..Seals wont survive.

Many will not agree but this is not surprising.Our AF pilots winning dog fights with US or our SF operators being tough is not surprising for me.

However in a war US will win because of the ecosystem they have for war.

When you lack technology you have to make up for in physicals..thats how it is.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
By the way what he said about 9 Para being the only unit in Kashmir to be feared is 100 percent true.

Let me share this that i have heard radio intercepts myself of terrorists talking and saying Kommundo operation me ja rhay hain janab..harqat na karain aglay kuch din.

No other unit had this kind of a fear in them in the valley in the 90s.

Few RR officers of 24 RR and 9 para sf were the only feared ones.

Now the terrorists are just sissies..who run away from a firefight and mostly get exposed because of their sugar babies.

IndiaRising

Country flag
By the way what he said about 9 Para being the only unit in Kashmir to be feared is 100 percent true.

Let me share this that i have heard radio intercepts myself of terrorists talking and saying Kommundo operation me ja rhay hain janab..harqat na karain aglay kuch din.

Now the terrorists are just sissies..who run away from a firefight and mostly get exposed because of their sugar babies.
what is your opinion of old units like 1,10,21 and newly raised ones like 4?

Waanar

Country flag
I have heard of civilian operators who went very deep and stayed there for 15+ months , no contacts , no comms , no nothing . Only the equipments required for mission . They lived off the land .

To say the least I was surprised when I heard of it .
Civilian operators?

Waanar

Country flag

Some insights into the life of Major Vivek Jacob (ex- 9 para).
Even more interesting is the fact that he mentions that 9th also has "Release for standards" protocol.
This is excellent. If you don't stay on the top, you get out, no matter what you did during probation.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
what is your opinion of old units like 1,10,21 and newly raised ones like 4?
1,10 are very old..21 is the newest and 4 was formed before 21.

Except 21 and 9 every other para rotates for field deployment.

9 and 21 have been constantly in ops.

Personally,the best Fire and move drill and other drills i ever saw has been was by 21 but the operator says 9 does it better so lets give it to him.

1 is respected a lot ..10 have been pretty good aswell except little bit testing in Lanka.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Just curious, do SF guys keep a personal kill count?
Og God ! you mean they are killers... the assassins... Dawood Ibrahim's sharp shooters... ?? Even for keeping a personal count for a snipper is grossly immoral..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

There is a possibility of lot of greenery on the other side of the hill... do not be so sure about others... you are free to state your case without telling about others..

Mikel

Country flag
My brother in law who is a normal infantryman used to ink his combat belt with enemy blood who he had killed.

I have counted lines in his belt in double digits.

And he is infantry..what do you think Para would be upto.
Og God ! you mean they are killers... the assassins... Dawood Ibrahim's sharp shooters... ?? Even for keeping a personal count for a snipper is grossly immoral..
I got two very different answers

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
There is a possibility of lot of greenery on the other side of the hill... do not be so sure about others... you are free to state your case without telling about others..
Terrorists in the 90s were feared.

Afghanis used to come 10 m close and open fire.

Fidaydeen attacks were normal on Army camps.

What are the terrorists upto these days?Facebook and Tinder.

Organise stone peltors and running from the action.

JuniorMarcos

Country flag
Thats why i say many times that i would personally put 9 para over even entire Garuds and Marcos combined.This interview shows how special its operators are.

Notice how he talks about the "other unit i was in".
I Disagree with you , you can't compare Marcos with 9 Para , both are meant for different job profile and i would like to let you know Marcos have Edge over 9 Para in terms of technology , Physical Robustness & the way they are trained in different terrain whereas Para SF have different regiment for different type of terrain.

I won't be shocked if someone say Marcos are better than SEALs :cruisin2:

At last i will say "Situation decide who is better , even a Infantry troop can perform better if he have edge in battleground over Para or Marcos"

Last edited:

aditya g

Country flag
At one point 1 Para SF was designated as Army HQ reserve. I believe this was in 90s and at least till early 2000s. I believe this also raised its profile in the SF regiment. eg: late Major Udai Singh;s dream was to be in 1SF, and likewise Major Jacob also hinted on that.

10SF has a rich legacy including Sri Lanka, and has an exclusive desert jeep role.

9 is however the senior most SF regiment and is continuously in ops since at least Sri Lanka days.

Off late 4SF has also come to limelight, especially thanks to 2016 surgical strikes.

1,10 are very old..21 is the newest and 4 was formed before 21.

Except 21 and 9 every other para rotates for field deployment.

9 and 21 have been constantly in ops.

Personally,the best Fire and move drill and other drills i ever saw has been was by 21 but the operator says 9 does it better so lets give it to him.

1 is respected a lot ..10 have been pretty good aswell except little bit testing in Lanka.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
My brother in law who is a normal infantryman used to ink his combat belt with enemy blood who he had killed.

I have counted lines in his belt in double digits.

And he is infantry..what do you think Para would be upto.
I hear the 9 Para lads are especially fond of skulls (can't really confirm the veracity), so maybe they take those as trophies.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I Disagree with you , you can't compare Marcos with 9 Para , both are meant for different job profile and i would like to let you know Marcos have Edge over 9 Para in terms of technology , Physical Robustness & the way they are trained in different terrain whereas Para SF have different regiment for different type of terrain.

I won't be shocked if someone say Marcos are better than SEALs :cruisin2:

At last i will say "Situation decide who is better , even a Infantry troop can perform better if he have edge in battleground over Para or Marcos"
Technology ..yes.

Physical robustness..Big no

And you are right Marcos are trained in different terrain...

But the school they train in for different terrain is run by Indian Army and the instructor there is from Para SF.

So basically beta baap se better he?..(no offense)

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
And the people who are constantly saying Marcos is superior only coz its blue water operation area is a tick let me ask you this if covering all terrains is a important criteria then..

How many Marcos deployments in Siachen?

How many Marcos deployment at high altitude?

How many Marcos got Instructor rating in Army schools like CIJWS and HAWS?

How many Marcos deployment in North East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles