Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Thats why i say many times that i would personally put 9 para over even entire Garuds and Marcos combined.This interview shows how special its operators are.

Notice how he talks about the "other unit i was in".
There is another angle to this.They are considered best because of the experience they got or may be because the other older units like 10, 1 or 21 didnt got that much opportunities like 9 got in Kashmir from the very start.Otherwose dont think the selection standards of any of the SF regiments is any way different.

MuzzleVelocity

There is another angle to this.They are considered best because of the experience they got or may be because the other older units like 10, 1 or 21 didnt got that much opportunities like 9 got in Kashmir from the very start.Otherwose dont think the selection standards of any of the SF regiments is any way different.
History matters. Prestige matters. I am an engineer. So to use a metaphor, IIT Delhi is miles better than IIT Mandi.
Operators would have a higher standard to live up to and eventually higher overall standards get developed.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Thats why i say many times that i would personally put 9 para over even entire Garuds and Marcos combined.This interview shows how special its operators are.

‘Other unit’ he mentions must be the one he did the ‘deep cover’ ops in.

this is one cool guy, I hope we see more conversations from him and people like him. When they are interviewed by journalists you get the typical PR speak but when they are talking with peers you get to see their real personalities and learn much more

Would be cool to hear him in one of those many podcasts run by former US SF/SOF, I can see them having great rapport with a fellow SF combat veteran

IndiaRising

Country flag
the joke is that all of the above or comparable stuff can be sourced from Indian industry.The world’s top SF units have entire teams in their support wing that focus on developing bespoke solutions.

Getting excited about purchasing some SCARs and dual tube NVGs from the US, come on guys. None of this is cutting edge tech GPNVG-18s are over a decade old at this point (not that Indian units will be getting them for decades)

AFSOD and it’s successor (INSOCOM) has to change this mentality. They need to become more mission focused and remember they have a strategic mandate. If there was such a sense there wouldn’t be this cheerleading for what are very very basic tactical equipment upgrades.

these are the same people that post images of SU-30MKIs are MiG-29s

and he’s admitted it was for representational purposes anyway.

he said they had a different mindset, that’s it. Which makes sense given that they have entirely different training ethos and mandates.

he also said some of their tactics were inferior, the point of these exercises is to learn from one another not d!ck measure so please keep this kind of childish stuff away from analysis, it’s as cringe worthy as the ‘12-0’ scorecards reporter after Indradhanush that forced the RAF to clarify and I’m certain left a bad taste in the mouths of the British hosts.

daily reminder Of how broken the system is- Guinea SF

View attachment 56072
why is it to so hard for you to believe that our boys got RAF’s number? We also got USAF number in Cope India 2004 and 2005. That’s why the USAF colonel was blabbering his mouth when we went to Nevada for Red Flag later on.

also thank you for posting Guinea SF whose main enemy is taking on poor Sierra Leone and Liberian refugees

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
‘Other unit’ he mentions must be the one he did the ‘deep cover’ ops in.

this is one cool guy, I hope we see more conversations from him and people like him. When they are interviewed by journalists you get the typical PR speak but when they are talking with peers you get to see their real personalities and learn much more

Would be cool to hear him in one of those many podcasts run by former US SF/SOF, I can see them having great rapport with a fellow SF combat veteran
Most probably SG.Btw is it mandatory for SF officers to go on probation to SG or is it voluntary? Are there selection trials for SF personal while going in probation for SG? @rkhanna

rkhanna

Country flag
Most probably SG.Btw is it mandatory for SF officers to go on probation to SG or is it voluntary? Are there selection trials for SF personal while going in probation for SG? @rkhanna
AFAIK no official selection for SG as these are temp units and the soldiers rotate back to parent. There is however a very very rigours and intense training period. The training centers around operating in single or pairs and doing a different set of missions than SF. Training also centers around specific mission that the operators are being onboarded for. Instructors however RTU soldiers through this training process. So the entirety of training is selection in a sense. Many a time 2 or more set of teams will recieve the same training and only one will get to go execute the mission

Floydian

Country flag
One more interview with this ghost officer, this time by an ex-navy officer (Lt. Cdr.) -
Part 1:

Part 2:

rkhanna

Country flag

I disagree. Para SF cannot do over 80% of MARCO's mission profile. they have zero blue and brown water SOF capability. Similary SF has no capacity to take over an airfield and get it up and running again as a FOB/FARP/ATC. even the rudimentary capability that Garud has today in SEAD/DEAD is miles from the capability SF has.

On pure infantry capability yes SF is miles ahead of any unit. but thats the same USSF v Seals or Delta Vs ST6, SAS vs SBS - there is a reason why ST6 prosecutes missions with a Ranger unit hanging off the side.

Lastly the 'other unit' doesnt nececcarily mean SG. Corps MI units deput SF as well for DA mission and requirements and outside of Mil Orbat.

Disagree with a couple things Major J talks about but a Great interview all around.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I disagree. Para SF cannot do over 80% of MARCO's mission profile. they have zero blue and brown water SOF capability. Similary SF has no capacity to take over an airfield and get it up and running again as a FOB/FARP/ATC. even the rudimentary capability that Garud has today in SEAD/DEAD is miles from the capability SF has.

On pure infantry capability yes SF is miles ahead of any unit. but thats the same USSF v Seals or Delta Vs ST6, SAS vs SBS - there is a reason why ST6 prosecutes missions with a Ranger unit hanging off the side.

Lastly the 'other unit' doesnt nececcarily mean SG. Corps MI units deput SF as well for DA mission and requirements and outside of Mil Orbat.

Disagree with a couple things Major J talks about but a Great interview all around.
Does the under cover men always inform the local military unit about movement? How these guys avoid being accidentally getting into patrols or ambushes or RR and other CAPFs?

Casper

Country flag
I also want to
I have heard of civilian operators who went very deep and stayed there for 15+ months , no contacts , no comms , no nothing . Only the equipments required for mission . They lived off the land .

To say the least I was surprised when I heard of it .
I also want to read that..any link

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag

Ok ..so i was talking about operation experience and leadership.

And sir which capabilities are you talking about..the last i heard the entire squad of Marcos couldnt survive in a deserted Andaman island for even a week.

Para does LRP for weeks without even sweating.

And i dont want you to agree with me sir..you are looking for a unicorn and i was talking about a wolf.

Last edited:

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag

Secondly the other unit he was referring to was of a guy from 21.

21 is Eastern command

9 is Northern command

Both are different corps.

Other unit has to be the "other unit".

IndiaRising

Country flag
I don’t know what’s the difference between 9 Para and other Para SF units like 1,2,3,4,10,11,12 and 21. At the end of the day, they are all Para SF so they must have gone through same probation as everyone else. Also, I don’t expect attitude of a 4 Para operator to be different from 9 Para. Maybe cuz 9 Para is the oldest, they are revered but in practical terms, I don’t see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles