Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yash Patel

Country flag
Guys, any information available on the timeline of the delivery of these rifles and other equipments for Special Forces? We all know how our arms procurements work!

WARREN SS

Country flag
Guys, any information available on the timeline of the delivery of these rifles and other equipments for Special Forces? We all know how our arms procurements work!
1000 Rifles Is Hardly Order FN produce That Much order in Single day
Or others
Probably they Already Stockpile of months

It depends Payment To vender

vampyrbladez

Country flag
A thing about this, As everyone knows this one's looming around since the stone age..so why the sudden "Bawal" for this. Is the procurement finally saw daylight or just memory freshen up🙄
This one was cleared in 2019. It was supposed to be signed off around early 2020 but COVID 19 delayed everything. Now it got cleared so govt. is claiming credit as 'fast-tracking'.

Para SF already got EXFIL NVG Helmets, M4A1s and new gear. So I believe this is an ongoing process.

AFSOD2.jpg

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
I'm not sure what the fascination with quad tube noddies is on here ....has anyone here ever talked to guys who actually use quads.
The main use of quad tubes will mostly be in CI operations, room clearing etc.

I don’t see much use of it for other purposes except raids.

operatorgrumby

Country flag
The main use of quad tubes will mostly be in CI operations, room clearing etc.

I don’t see much use of it for other purposes except raids.
Nope it's not about their usability in various operation. Difference between dual & quad is that the latter has a more shallower FOV in contrast to the other. It's never about where to use; rather "WHOM" to use them.

Cause mind it ;
A. They are expensive
B. They are frickin' expensive
& the added couple of tubes add more weight to your damn head also🤨

WolfPack86

Country flag
More firepower for Indian Army! To buy small arms for Special Forces from US-based company
“The 7.62 x 51 mm FN Scar, made by a US unit of Belgium’s FN Herstal, is being purchased by the Army under its own financial powers and is roughly around Rs 200-300 crore,” confirmed a source.

The Indian Army is all set to purchase small arms through a Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route from a US-based firm FN Herstal for the Special Forces (SF). “The 7.62 x 51 mm FN Scar, made by a US unit of Belgium’s FN Herstal, is being purchased by the Army under its own financial powers and is roughly around Rs 200-300 crore,” confirmed a source.

The 7.62 x 51 mm FN Scar, is going to help in the upgrading of the firepower of SF in the dense jungles of the Northeast and Myanmar and will be replacing the ‘1B’ LMGs which were manufactured by the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) almost a few decades ago. These small weapons are considered to be of critical value for the Special Forces as support weapons enabling them with heavy firepower.

The modernization of the Special Forces has been pending since 2005 and last year a decision was taken to start the process gradually of the Special Forces and a decision to procure from the US through the FMS route was taken.

More about FN MAG

This 7.62 mm a general-purpose machine gun was designed in the 1950s at the Fabrique Nationale (FN) in Belgium by a man named Ernest Vervier. In India, this has been licensed produced by OFB.

The wish list of Special Forces includes

715 Mk 48 Light Machine Guns (LMGs),

1,050 FN Scar (H) 7.62×51 assault rifles,

1,400 FN Scar (L) or HK-416 assault rifles,

110 .50 Cal Browning heavy machine guns (HMG),

400 helmet-mounted night vision systems

600 combat free fall parachutes

100 Barret M107 A1 heavy sniping rifles

There is an urgent requirement of 20 million rounds of ammunition. These will be used in the small arms.

Waanar

Country flag
Nope it's not about their usability in various operation. Difference between dual & quad is that the latter has a more shallower FOV in contrast to the other. It's never about where to use; rather "WHOM" to use them.

Cause mind it ;
A. They are expensive
B. They are frickin' expensive
& the added couple of tubes add more weight to your damn head also🤨
Dude, you missed the most important point- It's DAMN EXPENSIVE!

Just equipping 6 men with it will easily cost over a crore.
Considering the cost to comparitive advantage over dual tubes, it's just not worth it.
I'd rather have Paras and all Ghataks equipped with Dual tubes than some random assortment of Paras with composite group of Quad and single tubes (we all know that's exactly what will happen if Quad tubes are bought in).

With the budget for equipping entire Para units with Quads, we could very well equip Ghataks and other specialized units with Duals and that's unarguably better.

If the last few years have taught us anything, it's that the Ghataks are not given the due credit that they deserve.

Btw, I totally expect to see this sort of NVG in the more technologically proactive militaries by 2040-

operatorgrumby

Country flag
Dude, you missed the most important point- It's DAMN EXPENSIVE!

Just equipping 6 men with it will easily cost over a crore.
Considering the cost to comparitive advantage over dual tubes, it's just not worth it.
I'd rather have Paras and all Ghataks equipped with Dual tubes than some random assortment of Paras with composite group of Quad and single tubes (we all know that's exactly what will happen if Quad tubes are bought in).

With the budget for equipping entire Para units with Quads, we could very well equip Ghataks and other specialized units with Duals and that's unarguably better.

If the last few years have taught us anything, it's that the Ghataks are not given the due credit that they deserve.

Btw, I totally expect to see this sort of NVG in the more technologically proactive militaries by 2040-
Damn<Frickin'
Btw you really summed up the whole theory of whom i justified as "WHOM" 😉

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Sir wanted to share some good news with you. Looks like IAS lobby is now in final countdown.

Modi govt now plans to hire 400 directors and deputy secretaries through lateral entry
Many cadre officers are unwilling to come on central deputation, so Modi govt plans to fill massive vacancies and increase efficiency in one stroke.

https://theprint.in/india/governanc...l-entry/449426/?amp&__twitter_impression=true
That actaully is not the case...

The movement in IAS is so fast they they rarely find someone willing in the directors post to cool his heels..
Deputy secretary was never an IAS post but filled by promotees of Central Secretariat Class B Assistant grade or section officers.
Hence most of the directors one finds is from allied services like Accounts, Information service, Railways or OFB etc.
However the directional posts starts with JS where an IAS officer spends maximum time in higher ranks.
Lateral entry as directors and DS was always there.

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
That actaully is not the case...

The movement in IAS is so fast they they rarely find someone willing in the directors post to cool his heals..
Deputy secretary was never an IAS post but filled by promotees of Central Secretariat Class B Assistant grade or section officers.
Hence most of the directors one finds is from allied services like Accounts, Information service, Railways or OFB etc.
How ever the directional posts starts with JS where an IAS officer spends maximum time in higher ranks.
Lateral entry as directors and DS was always there.
I still can't believe IAS has private armies like the ITBP and SSB like SS or Political Commisars.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I still can't believe IAS has private armies like the ITBP and SSB like SS or Political Commisars.
Not IAS but IPS. ITBP was created by Director IB. one Bhola Nath Malik (the guilty man of 1962) and SSB too was initially under Int agencies but post Kargil they have been converted in border policing forces and are under border management division of MHA.. most of the posts of DIG upwards are tenable by IPS officers in all forces.

The int agencies do have lots of lean on CAPF. If you ever served in border areas. you would find one junkie looking unkept Jassos SIB officer panting along some SSB guys into one odd tent established near LAC supposedly launching and receiving his super agents from there mostly on paper. Next you will find him lurking around the CO's office for some liquor supposedly for his sources.

They do use those constables for the personal services in the name of Security.

JBH22

You forgot internal forces critical to hinder any military coup something which Indian political establishment are scared of. I think slowly there is a change in mindset they have been able to accept Indian army is truly a professional one.
With Amit Shah at the top we hope to see MHA forces to become truly active in combatting internal security threats. Positive results shown in terror attacks, Indians forgot that inner cities have not face terror attacks since NAMO took power.

operatorgrumby

Country flag

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
In life there are 3 stages for everything..

1. Struggles or survival
2.Comfort stage
3.Luxury stage

So out of that list SCAR and LMG is a Luxury.We are doing stage 2 in those things.

Whereas in things like helmet,gear,uniform and BPJ Radio we are at level 1.

So the smart people who are more smarter than us as claimed need to make the right decisions.

First be level 2 in everything then go for Level 3.
This concept of acquisition which i put here is beautifully explained in this recent video of Abhijeet Iyer Mitra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles