Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

operatorgrumby

Country flag
SSS in partnership with Lewis Machine & Tool Company(LMT) had already fielded an AR-15 style assault rifle for one of the Indian Army tenders, but at the last moment the US played spoilsport with the ITAR and then SSS decided to pursue their own design. I had received this clarification from the CEO of SSS Defence, Vivek Krishnan himself on Twitter but I am not able to find that tweet.
View attachment 49414
Yeah that was a BR/DMR variant chambered in 7.62 NATO. I'm fully aware of what happened with the ITAR issue, though i think (my own opinion) that was just a LMT MWS/ MARS-H platform rebadged as a SS LMT Battle Rifle for the IA RFI. SSS still have to develop an AR-15 style Rifle of their own yet, which they will considering their recent track record....

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Yeah that was a BR/DMR variant chambered in 7.62 NATO. I'm fully aware of what happened with the ITAR issue, though i think (my own opinion) that was just a LMT MWS/ MARS-H platform rebadged as a SS LMT Battle Rifle for the IA RFI. SSS still have to develop an AR-15 style Rifle of their own yet, which they will considering their recent track record....
They already have the P-72 series of rifles which can fire 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 ammunition, so unless a formal request comes directly from the Special Forces or the Army, I don't think they would be willing to drop money into developing one.

abingdonboy

Country flag
They already have the P-72 series of rifles which can fire 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 ammunition, so unless a formal request comes directly from the Special Forces or the Army, I don't think they would be willing to drop money into developing one.
Can P72 definitely be chambered for 7.62*39? I’ve seen 7.62 and 5.56 NATO versions only

operatorgrumby

Country flag
As they already stated, they have plans to go global at par with the SIGs, not just a local manufacturer. So for that and to enter into US market they evntually do gonna need an AR-15 styled Rifle as we all know, how much the yanks love the AR-15 platform.

And those P-72 family rifles are chambered only in 7.62x39R, not in 5.56/7.62 NATO.

abingdonboy

Country flag
As they already stated, they have plans to go global at par with the SIGs, not just a local manufacturer. So for that and to enter into US market they evntually do gonna need an AR-15 styled Rifle as we all know, how much the yanks love the AR-15 platform.

And those P-72 family rifles are chambered only in 7.62x39R, not in 5.56/7.62 NATO.
They love the AR15 platform and it’s cheap af so there’s no point in trying to copy. They also are big fans of the Tavor and SCAR which are quite a bit more pricey.

+ would be amazing if they can go global, the Indian market is FAR too unpredictable and restrictive thanks to red tape and commission hunters to rely on.

That said I hope has homeland security market starts to take off in India these private companies target individual police departments and CAPFs, the armed forces are a lost cause.

operatorgrumby

Country flag
On their website brochure I’m pretty sure the P72 is mentioned as being available in 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO
SSS website does't have any information regarding the P-72 Family Assault Rifles ( If you found any then do share as well ).

And here what i found on Wikipedia though,

Assault rifles
The company has developed a family of rifles comprising an assault rifle based on the 7.62×39mm cartridge, a carbine, and a designated marksman rifle.[8][9] It is also developing a light machine gun.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
They love the AR15 platform and it’s cheap af so there’s no point in trying to copy. They also are big fans of the Tavor and SCAR which are quite a bit more pricey.

+ would be amazing if they can go global, the Indian market is FAR too unpredictable and restrictive thanks to red tape and commission hunters to rely on.

That said I hope has homeland security market starts to take off in India these private companies target individual police departments and CAPFs, the armed forces are a lost cause.
Go through the twitter account of SSS Defence, they recently conducted a Q&A session.

operatorgrumby

Country flag
Scrap the stupid Ak-203 tender, the price negotiations are never going to conclude and go for the SSS P-72 if you really want to see Atmanirbharta.
I can feel your pain here brother, yet they gonna do what they have to do so...
Aam janta can only disagree and cry for their tax paying money going haywire into Babushka's wallet🙂

Gessler

Country flag
Induction of Mid power scopes is a good addition to our equipment profile
The Nimrod 6x has been around in Garud use for a long time, ever since they started using STAR-21s which was a long time ago.

More recently, the Nimrods have been supplanted to an extent with more modern & compact Mepro X6 scopes of same magnification power for Garuds:

Mepro-6X-1.jpg

Mepro-6X-3.jpg

Though in my opinion, the future at least for SFs lies not with fixed-power magnifiers like Mepros or ACOGs but with Low Power Variable Optics (LPVOs) like the SIG TANGO6, which can vary their power from 1x (no magnification) to 6x for marksmanship. USSOCOM has been quick to adopt LPVOs into use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles