Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Iike in unknowns picture have seen the same as what you mentioned and tavors. However never more than 2 per squad / unit. I.e these would be given to the point men in a patrol + for sentry killing.

They can easily be rolled out unit wide for a 100 reasons. + The Tavors have the Barrel lenght to accomodate them and not become a sore stick. We need AR15 platforms with 11inch barrels . Suppressors on full lenght m4 can really unbalance thr gun and become a bitch in CQB
The only carbines in Para SF arsenal which could be fitted with suppressors are Galil SARs 😋 if looked from length perspective. Rest all are full length weapons be it M4, Tavor/Ak.

Hellfire

Professional
Country flag
Read again
Read. Again.

And?

I mean, if you are implying that they are not carbines ..... you should perhaps read (again) the 20" barrel length criteria of classifying an assault rifle as a carbine?

M4 is definitely marketed as a carbine. Tavor ... is marketed as assault rifle although matches the criteria of carbine as being below 20 inch barrel.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Read. Again.

And?

I mean, if you are implying that they are not carbines ..... you should perhaps read (again) the 20" barrel length criteria of classifying an assault rifle as a carbine?

M4 is definitely marketed as a carbine. Tavor ... is marketed as assault rifle although matches the criteria of carbine as being below 20 inch barrel.

Dude M4 is marketed as a carbine but in effect it is an AR just like Ak with too much length to mount a suppressor if the regular barrel is used making the maneuverability bit hard.Look the suppressed weapons used by western counterparts most are 11 inch barreled ones and not the full length barreled ones for a reason.

Last edited:

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
My understanding is that RR would excel in some aspects and face difficulties in others. The Indian Armed forces in the 21st century age of war haven't faced an adversary which is remotely as capable and well organized as itself so to go up against well structured outfits like Hamas and Hezbollah in an AO (arid desert and rocky terrain) mostly unknown to RR would pose a major threat as RR would have to acclimatize and then mould and adapt it's warfighting tactics depending on the new conditions. Another major change that RR or the deployment would have to make is to setup a robust network of support forces who could aid in extraction in the event when things go south. Equipment wise, I don't think RR would face much difficulty (and I'm not taking into consideration the forces that are already fighting the said outfits). And a factor that would be of advantage to RR is them being constantly in action in Kashmir has built a primed force ready for action in a moment's notice.
So to conclude, while RR will be faced with initial challenges, I don't see why they couldn't overcome them with assistance from Para SF regiments who have trained and operated in similarly arid terrain.
To be blatantly honest, as is the scene in the AO, fighting the Hamas and Hezbollah should be the job of the Tier 2 and Tier 3 dudes of the Indian Armed Forces i.e. Parachute regiment (Airborne and SF), MARCOS and Garuds whereas RR could act as response teams and said support forces to aid the operations of the assault teams.
another thing is rashtriya rifles face light armed jihadits.....there u r facing chaps with snipers...rpg...on truck machine gun....ieds....atgm...motherduckers with bomb straps....and captured battle tanks...

Hellfire

Professional
Country flag
Dude M4 is marketed as a carbine but in effect it is an AR just like Ak with too much length to mount a suppressor if the regular barrel is used making the maneuverability bit hard.Look the suppressed weapons used by western counterparts most are 11 inch barreled ones and not the full length barreled ones for a reason.

"Dude".🤨

I very much doubt am in that age bracket or stage of life to be referred as such. But anyways.

So, I re-read your post. I shall take the liberty of quoting it here:

The only carbines in Para SF arsenal which could be fitted with suppressors are Galil SARs 😋 if looked from length perspective. Rest all are full length weapons be it M4, Tavor/Ak.
Taking the same in context, apparently I seem to have still not got around to the context, I admit, what makes you make the above statement, if I may know?

Secondly, with your response above, to my post as below:

Read. Again.

And?

I shall surely like to know the difference between a carbine and a battlefield rifle as per your perception. I clearly mentioned a specific barrel length i.e. 20 inches as the general criteria. Further, M4 is a carbine version of the M16A2.

Also, what are your views on the advent of the term "Assault Rifle" and the reported mistranslation of the term from German Sturmgewehr or "Storm Rifle" (StG-44 of Wehrmacht)?

Now coming specifically to what I perceive to be your point here. Why would forces seek a smaller length barrel weapon only to be suppressed thereby negating the advantage the relatively longer barrel affords in terms of greater accuracy and higher KE?

In a covert operation, I would rather have a primary weapon that gives me accuracy out to 50 odd meters (in dead of the night with poor passive illumination) which is silenced and affords me a 'quiet stand off range' (relatively) and a secondary weapon (a handgun) silenced, which affords me the luxury of using it in close proximity. (purely my opinion)

Last edited:

AZTEC

Country flag
Why does NSG need to "get training" from GSG9.

NSG has a much more celebrated history than GSG9 with operations like Op Black Thunder 2, Op Ashwamedh, Mumbai 26/11.

They are also winners of some competitions among 50 SFs including GSG9, organised by GSG9 in 2007 i think..

So why does NSG need to "get training" from anyone at all. Joint training makes more sense...
This old article from 2011 apparently hasn’t been posted here yet but it is worth posting. This article doesn’t appear easily in Google searches due to its cryptic headline:
Relevant excerpt:
The NSG had an epiphany recently while training at their Manesar complex with German GSG-9 commandos (on whom they were modeled on in 1984). In just one crucial area - tactical radios - they noted how far their beefy German counterparts had moved on. The GSG-9 commandos had button-sized radio implants in their ears and sported band-aid sized mouth-pieces taped on their chins. The radios had a range of 1 km. The difference between the two forces is far more intrinsic than that. The GSG-9 remains a cutting-edge commando force that demands and gets nothing but the best mission-critical equipment. The NSG has been reduced to a paramilitary force whose chiefs make boastful claims at public events.

rkhanna

Country flag
In a covert operation, I would rather have a primary weapon that gives me accuracy out to 50 odd meters (in dead of the night with poor passive illumination) which is silenced and affords me a 'quiet stand off range' (relatively) and a secondary weapon (a handgun) silenced, which affords me the luxury of using it in close proximity. (purely my opinion)
Some Supressed AR15s with 11/11.5inch barrells are effective till 250ms in the hands of a skilled shooter. There was a fantastic marine corp study released on the effectiveness of using Supressed carbines if rolled out unit wide

Agree with what you are saying 100%. But a number of implications with your statement Specially around optics and comms (night fighting and battlefield awerness) in stealth fighting

Last edited:

Vishal reddy

Country flag
Huh?? When did I even mention about holding any territory?? I just explained how it works!! Plus not to mention if you didn't know SFF Paratroopers work with ITBP who themselves have Paratrooper battalion!!
They work as a back up for SFF Paratroopers
View attachment 58484
ITBP Paratrooper regiment, they also act as a backup for SFF!

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
This pic was taken from a Twitter account SPADEX
Was that Para reulars or Assam Rifles coz Insas LMG is in use with Para airborne but Bulgarian Ak with Fakke sights are used mostly by AR.

Vishal reddy

Country flag
Bro where did you read that ITBP is a backup for SFF?
Well I am certainly not bluffing about this, but I happened to read it in an article published for the newly raised Paratrooper regiment in ITBP.
But there is a also a reason for a fact that, ITBP remains the only CAPF to have a regiment like that, so I think only for one thing to act as a deterrence against the Chinese preemptively same as the SFF Paratroopers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles