Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Does India has any unit similar to the US Army rangers??
I observed pakis cheering that they have Light Commando Battalion (LCB) started in the lines of US Rangers!!
I thought we had Ghatak platoons for that job, but turns out even pakis have something similar to Ghataks, a commando unit present in every Infantry battalion called Commando Platoon (CP).
They also raised a similar unit to Rastriya Rifles, called zarrar.
So, does Indian Army lack any unit similar to US Army Rangers??
Zarrar is an SSG company not different force.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
No one. Para SF is supposed to, but jernails don't give a shit.
Indian Army has no Special Force like US Army Delta.
Green Beret role of US Army is done by ParaSF in Indian Army.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Terrorists use Hard Steel Core ammo. Less accurate, but more powerful.
I see.
Also, I wouldn't believe that they were tested like you said,
Ok, I was actually wrong. It was 10 meters for 9mm Parabellum, ~25 meters for M47 and I think ~100 meter for M80 rounds.
because if it were true, Army wouldn't bother replacing them, notwithstanding the weight.
There's actually a glaring weakness in its design which might have compelled the army to replace these Patkas even at the cost of absolute protection against small arms ammo. The Patkas provide protection only along the circumference of the head but the top is made out of plain cloths and foam inserts for padding. So, they provide no protection against shell fragments and shrapnel. So this could have been the reason.

Killbot

Country flag
I see.

Ok, I was actually wrong. It was 10 meters for 9mm Parabellum, ~25 meters for M47 and I think ~100 meter for M80 rounds.

There's actually a glaring weakness in its design which might have compelled the army to replace these Patkas even at the cost of absolute protection against small arms ammo. The Patkas provide protection only along the circumference of the head but the top is made out of plain cloths and foam inserts for padding. So, they provide no protection against shell fragments and shrapnel. So this could have been the reason.
There isnt much loss in velocity between 10 and 25 m. 100m, plausible.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
So, just clear me this one doubt!!
US Army Rangers and US Army Special Forces (Green Berets).
What are the equivalent forces in IA??
Maybe ghatak as per definition of US Army rangers.

The Ranger Regiment is the United States' premier light infantry fighting force, specializing in raids and assault missions deep inside enemy territory. There are three pillars that make up the Ranger mission: special operations raids, forcible entry operations, and special reconnaissance.

pak light commando batallion is a paramilitary force imo so somewhat SFF like, but SFF is far better equipped than LCB which used modified chinese AK-47s with Aimpoint Comp m3 reflex sight.
1603551063243.jpeg

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There isnt much loss in velocity between 10 and 25 m. 100m, plausible.
That's why I was wondering whether the officer was dawning a Patka at all. Here, check this out -
2.png

1.jpg

I distinctly remember reading somewhere that the Patkas were tested against 7.62X51 mm M80 NATO rounds at ~50 meters but since I couldn't find that page anymore, I decided to put that figure at 100 just to be on the safe side.

By the way, have you ever heard the name gunner Rishi Kumar?? He is a gunner of an artillery regiment.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag

The Ranger Regiment is the United States' premier light infantry fighting force, specializing in raids and assault missions deep inside enemy territory. There are three pillars that make up the Ranger mission: special operations raids, forcible entry operations, and special reconnaissance.

pak light commando batallion is a paramilitary force imo so somewhat SFF like, but SFF is far better equipped than LCB which used modified chinese AK-47s with Aimpoint Comp m3 reflex sight.
View attachment 64205
No no don't confuse LCB with paki rangers (sindh and Punjab) rangers, they are a paramilitary/border force!!
LCB comes under paki army.

Now, US Army Rangers are a regiment, consist of many battalions!!
Ghataks are a commando unit, present in every battalion, they are not a regiment!! They is a huge difference.

Killbot

Country flag

View attachment 64205
Ghataks are not a formal institutionalised force. They are just 30 well trained and fit infantry guys in each battalion. Cannot compare to Rangers as 75th Ranger Regiment is a separate force. US does not have anything like Ghataks.
Given proposed training changes for Para SF and Air, latter will probably become the Indian version of Rangers, IF changes are implemented. As for Para SF, they will continue to be handicapped as long as they are under the infantry. They should not be part of Parachute regiment Imo.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
In the Indian army new units are raised based on operational experiences, once the situation subsides. For example rashtriya rifles was raised after the insurgency broke out in the 90s, where initially bsf, crpf and IA infantry were facing the terrorist without much success due to their different operational roles. Similarly nsg was raised after operation bluestar and spg was raised after IG so assassination.
In a sense, we are reactive rather than proactive. Hence raising any new unit based on orbat of foreign armies is highly unlikely. We haven't even been able to fully operationalize the lone Mountain strike corps due to budget limitations.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Ghataks are not a formal institutionalised force. They are just 30 well trained and fit infantry guys in each battalion. Cannot compare to Rangers as 75th Ranger Regiment is a separate force. US does not have anything like Ghataks.
Given proposed training changes for Para SF and Air, latter will probably become the Indian version of Rangers, IF changes are implemented. As for Para SF, they will continue to be handicapped as long as they are under the infantry. They should not be part of Parachute regiment Imo.
I would say, there are some minor similarities in their mission profile between the Ghataks and the 75th RR as both are geared towards direct action missions but the Rangers have a much larger mandate than that.
Anyway, the closest thing to the Ghataks in the US Army, in my opinion, would be those soldiers who have gone through the Ranger School, but then again, I don't think within a Batallion, they are organized as a separate unit.

By the way, is it just me or would you folks agree that Army needs to expand the number of Ghatak platoons within a Batallion to 4 platoons perhaps??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles