Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Army is sticking with Arjun due to cost imo. But with monocular NVGs, you sacrifice peripheral vision, which is probably the most important thing in CQB. Thats why Americans are spending $43,000 more per operator, so that they can have a larger field of view. (Quad tube NVG)

They're trying to replace those mono tubes now anyway.
the equipment that murican military adapt is need based, if they get deployed in pacific/Asia you might see a change in their equipment by year two of their deployment.

Killbot

Country flag
the equipment that murican military adapt is need based, if they get deployed in pacific/Asia you might see a change in their equipment by year two of their deployment.
I was talking about Indian SFs.

abingdonboy

Country flag
So I was watching some SF content on YT when I stumbled upon a Para SF documentary by one of the news networks. In that documentary the personnel were being asked about their gear and stuff and one of the operators talked about the monocular NVGs in use by the SF. He said that the advantage of using the monocular because of which they shifted from PVS 7 style NVDs to PVS 14 style NVDs is that in a CQB situation or any situation for that matter, with a monocular, you are able to observe and process a lot more because your each of your eye is seeing two pictures.
Although I understand the advantages that dual tube or PNVGs have over single tube NVDs, I found his reason pretty convincing. Maybe this is why, the Army is sticking to the monocular design with the Arjun Thermal Sight.
I'm not sure about the exact pricing but considering that Thermal sights are substantially pricier than NVDs, the Arjun sights are pretty closely priced to the dual tube NVDs made by Tonni, so I think if the Army wanted to shift to dual tube NVDs, it could but they are deliberately sticking to the monocular platform.
Note : This is not an attempt to justify the otherwise outdated loadout in use by the SF but just a point that I found interesting. All your opinion is welcome.
Damn, if only the US army had these high IQ individuals, they wouldn’t need to spend billions on SOCOM and $30-40,000 on quad tube NVGs

All those units around the world following American philosophy and equipment standards are obviously chumps, I’m sure they are lining up to come and train with indian units and get their hands on those sweet sweet FLCs, skateboarding knee and elbow pads and computing gamer headsets

Killbot

Country flag
Army is sticking with Arjun due to cost imo. But with monocular NVGs, you sacrifice peripheral vision, which is probably the most important thing in CQB. Thats why Americans are spending $43,000 more per operator, so that they can have a larger field of view. (Quad tube NVG)

They're trying to replace those mono tubes now anyway.
And the fact that Arjun has both Thermal and IR modes. And because it is much more effective at target detection and acquisition at longer ranges (LoC). Dual tubes are for wider field of view and come with only IR imaging (not sure). Hence their utility is with aviators and soldiers engaged in CQB. Thermals are for long range combat. Also, Arjun can be mounted on a weapon with only a new mount. Kinda useless with SFs, as they don't need a Helmet mounted device for target acquisition at long range, as they use HHTIs.

Killbot

Country flag
Damn, if only the US army had these high IQ individuals, they wouldn’t need to spend billions on SOCOM and $30-40,000 on quad tube NVGs

All those units around the world following American philosophy and equipment standards are obviously chumps, I’m sure they are lining up to come and train with indian units and get their hands on those sweet sweet FLCs, skateboarding knee and elbow pads and computing gamer headsets
Yeah, SFs need NVGs are for engaging targets at close ranges, with adequate FoV. Mono tubes were initially used because nothing else was available, and now are used for target acquisition.

ClawReed787

Country flag
At 2 minutes and 22 seconds, we can see SPG carrying some suitcase.
Is that the nuclear football?

Does anybody know whether SPG is responsible for protecting PM’s nuclear football?
No nuclear football that's for bulletproof cover

AZTEC

Country flag
Bro u belong to kadi ninda wala desh not some superpower with active nuclear submarines ready for Modis call.
Bro, What you’re saying was true 10 years ago.
If you google about it, you’ll find articles written by westerners who say that ‘India keeps its nuclear weapons de-mated from missiles during peacetime’. This may have been true before. But now, the situation is different.

1) Agni-5 is a missile which needs to be sealed in its canister, mated with its nuclear warhead. What this means is that Agni-5 cannot be deployed without a live nuclear warhead.

2) Arihant SSBN, by definition, needs to go out to the sea with live nukes, awaiting launch orders. That’s what a deterrence patrol is.

Therefore, India has achieved launch-on-warning (LoW) capability. This requires PM to carry a nuclear football wherever he goes, even in the bathroom (lol, but that’s just a joke). That’s how nuclear deterrence works; PM needs to be ready to launch nukes, even if he is outside of India. That’s why he must carry a nuclear football always.

Let me quote Bharat Karnad, who wrote India’s official nuclear policy, to bolster my point👇
“...any forceful Chinese military action that crosses a certain undefined threshold may automatically trigger the firing of canisterised medium- and long- range Agni missiles, now capable of launch-on-launch and launch-on warning...” - Bharat Karnad

Source:
Now the question that remains -> is the SPG tasked with the security of Modi’s nuclear football?

Perhaps, that’s a secret. Buts still, what do other people say?

@Unknowncommando 2 @rkhanna @Gessler

avknight1408

Country flag
Few weeks ago there was a discussion on former PARA guy doing VIP security. Some ill informed forumer called it shameful. Reality is that veterans do it because the salary is very good.

In the below video you can see American security agency whose clients include politicians being staffed by Military/LEA veterans.

In India, SPG personnel are in high demand for Corporate security. Once their deputation is over they are sent back to parent org and they find it difficult to adjust. (No govt org can match pay & perks of SPG)

Economic times article from 2012 - Why Special Protection Group is a big talent pool for India Inc

In security, PSUs are different from private sector. They are allowed to get CAPF officers on deputation. And I personally know a CRPF officer who was appointed security in charge of a plant in BHEL.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag

Killbot

Country flag
Couple a hundred dollahs
Lots of uniform discipline
Thats what the uniform is.

About the comtac and helmets ..more important than the SCARS we buying

...something is really wrong with us...even the procurement is infantryish in nature and not SFish.
And more modern training. I've been sayindmg this... For the price of one accessorised Scar, we can have all that equipment (PCs, comtacs, helmets etc.) and a good quality accessorized AR15....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles