Indian Software Industry

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Crossposting from Farmers Riot thread,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember some sane guys made an 'alternatives list' during Indo-Choyna standoff 2020 times,regarding TikTok and other choyneez apps' safer (potentially desi too) alternatives...

Guess similar exercise is needed now to spread the message of alternatives of all popular web applications,services et al.

Will post a short list of mine,of course stolen from internet,
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The Big Tech Exodus - Version 1.17
Rob Braxman on the dangers of big tech (Show this to as many people as possible):
The Great Reset "You Will Own Nothing & You Will Be Happy":
Website for finding alternative software:
Google is an evil corporation:
How to delete your accounts on Big Tech Platforms:
Prism Break:
Social Media Alternatives:
Instead of Twitter or Facebook, use a Pleroma/Mastodon (Decentralized) instance:
Decentralized (Federated):
Normal or Cucked Federated Servers:

Federation Software for Self-Hosters (click me):
Centralized:
Instead of reddit, use communities.win, ruqqus or saidit:
Instead of Instagram, use PixelFed:
Instead of tumblr or wordpress, use Pocketnet:
Messenger/Communication/Email Alternatives:
Text-based Messaging:
Never use garbage like Whatsapp, Skype, Snapchat, SMS or Discord. Nothing you do on those applications is private. Telegram isn't much better.
Always favor applications that have strong encryption, an open source code and run on a decentralized network.
Great tier:
Okay tier:
Who needs the internet for chatting?
More information:
Instead of Zoom, use Jitsi:
Instead of Discord, use Matrix, Rocketchat or Mumble:
  • If you absolutely must use Discord, use it in your browser (especially Ungoogled Chromium). Do NOT download the Discord app under any circumstance.
Instead of Gmail, use these:
No matter what you choose, ALWAYS use GnuPG to encrypt your emails when possible:
Fixing your Internet:
Instead of Chrome/Firefox, use Ungoogled Chromium:
Prefer Firefox?
Essential Browser addons:
  • For Privacy-Redirect, load the "src" folder in Ungoogled Chromium.
Instead of Google Services(drive, account, etc), use Disroot or Librem One:
Instead of Google Search, use Searx or Yacy for searching:
Instead of Wikipedia, use Infogalactic, Everipedia and Citizendium:
Instead of Youtube, use Freetube, Invidious, BitTube, Lbry/Odysee, DTube, PeerTube and Bitchute:
Instead of Amazon, support small, local businesses.
Instead of Ebay, use OpenBazaar:
Instead of Twitch, use DLive or Trovo:
Movies/TV/Media Streaming:
Never pay for any subscription-based service like Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max or any of that crap.
Self-host your own Media-Streaming server using Jellyfin, Plex or whatever server software you like:
Combine it with Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett and Deluge so you can fetch any Movie/TV show you want:
Setup Guides:
Instead of Spotify, use Funkwhale or Soulseek:
Instead of uTorrent, use Deluge, Transmission or ruTorrent:
DNS:
Never ever use your default DNS, Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS.
Always use a secure, encrypted DNS protocol like DNS-over-TLS or DNS-over-HTTPS.
Make sure whichever DNS provider you choose records no-logs, and doesn't censor. (read the privacy policy)
If you don't set up your own Pi-hole, consider a provider with built-in adblocking.
https://wiki.lelux.fi/dns/resolvers/
https://www.privacytools.io/providers/dns/
Some good options:
Domains/Hosting:
Never use garbage like Godaddy, Bluehost or Google Domains. They are all pro-censorship and anti-freedom.
Consider Epik as your Domain Registrar. They fight strongly free speech and provide excellent service:
And read this Guide on how to host a website securely and correctly:
Self-Hosting Software:
VPN:
There is a lot of debate regarding whether or not most people need a VPN, particularly with the increased adoption of the https protocol.
If you decide to buy a VPN subscription, make sure it meets the following criteria:
  • Based outside of 14-eyes jurisdiction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes)
  • Has a strict no-logging policy
  • Has a built-in killswitch
  • Has strong encryption (EG- OpenVPN with SHA-256) and PFS
  • Allows torrenting
  • Allows crypto payments
Read more:
Home Server stuff:
Ultimate Getting Started Guide:
Beginner-friendly and affordable:
Server OS:
  • OpenMediaVault: https://www.openmediavault.org/ (Debian-based OS, good media server)
  • TrueNAS: https://www.truenas.com/ (Beast, high hardware requirements. Not for beginners)
  • Other options: Ubuntu Server, Rockstor, Debian, FreeBSD, XigmaNAS, Xpenology, openSUSE, Fedora Server
Avoid overpriced commercial NAS like Synology or QNAP, unless you're extremely lazy.
Whatever you choose, get Pi-hole:
Server software:
Linuxserver.io:
Any questions? Make sure to ask https://boards.4channel.org/g/hsg
Misc Alternatives:
Using Windows? Run WindowsSpyBlocker:
Using an Android Phone? Get your apps from FDroid:
Instead of the Google Play Store, use Aurora or APKMirror:
Instead of Google Drive/Onedrive/Dropbox/iCloud, use Nextcloud:
Instead of Google Maps, use Openstreetmap:
Instead of CCLeaner, use BleachBit:
When posting article links to any website, archive it then post:
Higher Level Security (for those wanting to take the next step)
Instead of Windows/Mac, use Linux:
Recommended Beginner Distros:
Ask in the thread about what distro is right for you.
Also, make sure to ask: https://boards.4channel.org/g/fglt
De-Googling your Android Phone:
De-Appling your iPhone:
Instead of iOS/Android, use a nice clean AOSP-based ROM with built in signature spoofing like CrDroid, Arrow, etc:
Alternative memes:
Private, Secure PCs/Laptops/Phones:
Privoxy:
Encrypt your files:
Instead of fiat/paypal, use decentralized cryptocurrencies. Even better, use anonymous cryptocurrencies like Monero, and anonymous P2P exchanges like Bisq:
Instead of using your router's default firmware, install a secure, open source firmware:
Urbit:
Instead of the Clearnet, use the Darknet:
Filesharing:
Intel Management Engine and why it's bad:
AMD is bad too:
Disabling Intel Management Engine (Autism required):
Improve your security:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OG Source = https://ghostbin.co/paste/hwzn6

@LurkerBaba and others in IT, please share your views,if possible provide some alternatives from your side,too.

Spindrift

So, I did a bit of digging. Turns out Koo's android app is pretty decent in terms of UX polish, much much better than the website.

Their founder said that they'll focus on Android, then iOS and finally web which makes complete sense
Their backend code appears to be in a mess, so I was mapping the api calls and i found the following for registration\login from web the api endpoint is
apiV1/registration_v2 (i think you'll see the problem here) anyway based on the previous I tried apiV1/registration and it worked. So, I am guessing here that at some point they found a bug with registration function and instead of fixing that function they wrote another one called registration_v2 without commenting out the old one. Now I did not do any fuzzing to see what exactly is going on with it as i did not have the time, but if one were to go with the above example and the attitude associated with it one would stay away from koo for at lease an year or two before they get their act together.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Their backend code appears to be in a mess, so I was mapping the api calls and i found the following for registration\login from web the api endpoint is
apiV1/registration_v2 (i think you'll see the problem here) anyway based on the previous I tried apiV1/registration and it worked. So, I am guessing here that at some point they found a bug with registration function and instead of fixing that function they wrote another one called registration_v2 without commenting out the old one. Now I did not do any fuzzing to see what exactly is going on with it as i did not have the time, but if one were to go with the above example and the attitude associated with it one would stay away from koo for at lease an year or two before they get their act together.
Bengaluru has huge density of talent, they can throw money (which they now have) at the problem and get better engineering. Also, we sometimes over-index for code quality. Remember Slack outsourced their engineering when they started, their code was a hot mess of PHP. They fixed it much later

If they focus on the right problems, I predict they'll be in a decent shape in a few months

Last edited:

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag
Rather than staying away, open-source patriotic Indians should tell them what the issues are. My understanding is that it's a small team. An alternative to Twitter, and then an outright ban is appropriate right now. Next step, an alternative to Google! Call it "Dekhna" or something in Sanskrit so no Southie complains of Hindi imposition or whatever BS. Anyway even if it has a Hindi-sounding name, who cares? Google is next on the chopping block (or should be)

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Looks like a new software industry is about to open up.
======
"Geo Spatial Map-Making deregulated and recognised as an instrument of development to achieve the goal of PM Sh @NarendraModi's #AtmaNirbharBharat."

Compersion

Country flag
The realisation that the what is being made in Bharat will be open to security risk and admiration of others (to steal and copy).

What is the security risk profile Bharat would like to state and create?

Low-Medium level? Good but not excellent ... is it even a choice -------> It ought to be ...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Time has come for Indian software giants to start doing a gap analysis on “capital goods” of software industry I.e software that makes other software.

application application bahut khel liya, time to move on to next stage.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Just saying, if people are aware that TikTok was banned on Pakistan too, I got it from my Pakistani circles.
A number of Indian short video apps which were developed in India have gained prominence in Pakistan too. Especially snack video.

I anyway hate this chhapri video industry.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
@LurkerBaba sir and all,
^This company run by a Mumbai-based millionaire has understood importance of having data centres here at home, and invested whopping 19000 crores in establishing-expanding their base here during 2020-2021, when whole world was getting fuxxed due to choyneez vimrus shit.
Just bringing this to attention of all, since having our own data centre service provider-cloud thing is going to chance many things in future.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
@LurkerBaba sir and all,
^This company run by a Mumbai-based millionaire has understood importance of having data centres here at home, and invested whopping 19000 crores in establishing-expanding their base here during 2020-2021, when whole world was getting fuxxed due to choyneez vimrus shit.
Just bringing this to attention of all, since having our own data centre service provider-cloud thing is going to chance many things in future.
Nice. They should move up in the value chain. An Indian version of DigitalOcean would be a nice stepping stone before providing AWS level features

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Nice. They should move up in the value chain. An Indian version of DigitalOcean would be a nice stepping stone before providing AWS level features
From initial observation it seems their plan as of now is to establish (physical) data centres in different metrocities/zones here, Mumbai one (for West i guess) is operational and they already are building two others, one in North in Delhi and one in South in Chennai.
So once they have infrastructure ready, they easily could move to next stage of Saas,PaaS thing, hopefully.

Kumata

Country flag
From initial observation it seems their plan as of now is to establish (physical) data centres in different metrocities/zones here, Mumbai one (for West i guess) is operational and they already are building two others, one in North in Delhi and one in South in Chennai.
So once they have infrastructure ready, they easily could move to next stage of Saas,PaaS thing, hopefully.
I don't see them being success in this space. Per se, hosting bussiness itself is facing headwinds from Cloud providers and developing themselves in the line of AWS, azure need deep pockets and skills...

U can say what ever but infra bussiness here is just not cut for it... Indian MNC see IT investments as waste... Fine example is HDFC BANK...

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Koo's Web UI has been refreshed. Pretty decent right now. Their android app would get updated next
Ya'll Nibbiars then remind after the App is updated it's taking a lof of time to just upload a Koo.

IndianYonko

Country flag
But is it actually?
Banks are not good example for such technical case studies. These org. Really resist any techinal changes.

Not only banks but any sort of fintech even parts of big techs which deals with transactions resist changes. And they have a point; that don't touch something thats working.

For example look at this:

Still using COBOL

Kumata

Country flag
But is it actually?
Yo Nibba... They r living in 2005 or 6 at best... I remember being part of. Project which did their branch setup... Finnacle and flex cube... If I remember correctly...

This is a problem with majority of indian MNC.. Unless u r in reliance..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles