Indian scientists play a pivotal role in gravity waves detection

mayfair

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/638093/indian-scientists-play-pivotal-role.html

Forty Indian scientists from 13 institutions, including two in Bengaluru, played a crucial role in the discovery of the strongest ever gravity wave signal reported by an international team of astronomers on Monday.

The waves emerged from a pair of colliding neutron stars — one of the dying phases of a heavy-duty star in the far away universe.

Albert Einstein had predicted the existence of these waves a century ago. But the first gravity wave signal was spotted only in September 2015.

In the last two years, scientists were able to detect only four of these weak signals, which came from collapsing black holes, billions of light years away.

The latest gravitational wave, on the other hand, is the first one from a neutron star and gave the strongest signal as it originated in the constellation of Hydra at a relatively close distance of 130 million light years (one light year is the distance travelled by the light in a year) from the earth.

Typical neutron stars are heavier than the sun, but have a diameter of just about 20 kilometres (objects so dense that a teaspoonful of neutron star material weighs more than the Mount Everest.)

The detection was confirmed by nearly 70 telescopes around the world that studied various forms of radiation from the merger. Observations from three Indian telescopes were also used in the final analysis.

The gravity wave was spotted first on August 17, following which hundreds of physicists from around the world studied the source and the waves in details.

“One of the key contributions from the Indian scholars was to find out ways to find whether a particular signal is of environmental origin or emanating from an astronomical source,” Sanjit Mitra, one of the team members from Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune told DH.

Mitra was one of the 11 Indian scientists, who are the part of the discovery team comprising scientists from US-based Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) and Europe’s Virgo detector.

The two Bengaluru institutes — Indian Institute of Astrophysics and International Centre for Theoretical Sciences — were part of the discovery.

In the last three decades, several Indian scholars richly contributed to the development of the underlying mathematics that led to the discovery of these extremely feeble waves from the other sides of the universe.

“The latest discovery would help us accurately measure the expansion rate of the universe from which its age can be calculated independently,” Mitra said. There are scientific debates on the Universe's age, which has been calculated as 13.82 billion years.

The Pune centre spearheads the Indian effort to set up another gravity wave observatory, which is to be operational by 2024.

“The observatory needs 350 acres of land. We hope that the land acquisition process would be over in another 6 months,” said Somak Raychaudhury, IUCAA director

mayfair

Why We Need To Thank Homi Bhabha for India's Role In The Discovery of Gravitational Waves

The three stages of black hole collision as observed in supercomputer simulation of Einstein Equations. C V Vishveshwara from the Raman Research Institute, along with S. Chandrasekhar (Nobel Prize, 1983) did the historic work in understanding of the "ringdown" stage after collision of black holes (Simulation and Image Credit: K. Jani, M. Clark, M. Kinsey, Center For Relativistic Astrophysics , Georgia Institute of Technology)

On the morning of 11 February, when the executive director of the gravitational wave experiment LIGO, David Rietze, announced the greatest scientific discovery of the century -- the first detection of gravitational waves -- at the National Press Club in Washington DC, there was one Indian at the front row, who carried with him the legacy of Indian science. Bala R Iyer, a senior professor from Bangalore and chair of the Indian Initiative in Gravitational-Wave Observation (IndIGO), has spent decades of his research in modelling the gravitational waves from a pair of black holes, similar to the one we detected on 14 September, 2015. The observed gravitational waves from black hole collision is such a landmark feat that future historians will mark this as a transition much like BC to AD in mankind's understanding of the universe. And when a future Ramachandra Guha will discuss the role India played in this discovery, the first scientist's name to emerge in the list should not surprise any Indian.

Bhabha was rather like Rancho of 3 Idiots... he was set to pursue metallurgy and lead. Instead, like a classic rebel, he went on to study cosmic rays...

Exactly 77 years ago before this historical announcement, an emerging young Indian physicist at Cambridge, who had already marked his place in the international arena of quantum physics, decided to come back to his hometown, Bombay. At a time when all other important Indians were occupied with freedom struggle, this man came to Swadesh with an aspiration of starting a fundamental physics research centre.

Modern India owes big thanks to this man, Homi Jehangir Bhabha, for making that bold career move, because of which India has been part of every historical scientific feat in the last 50 years -- from the first independent test of the nuclear bomb, to the first success on Mars, and now with the future of astrophysics relying very crucially in the hands of LIGO India project.

Bhabha was rather like Rancho of 3 Idiots. Belonging to an influential Parsi family closely related to the Tatas, he was set to pursue metallurgy and lead the Tata Steel Mills at Jamshedpur. Instead, like a classic rebel, he went on to study cosmic rays at the iconic Cavendish Laboratory in the University of Cambridge and computed the interaction between electron and its antimatter (positron), which in his honour is named as the 'Bhabha Scattering'.

At Cambridge, Bhabha interacted with emerging legends of physics like Niels Bohr, Paul Dirac and Enrico Fermi. It is said he was well aware of the Manhattan Nuclear Bomb project by noticing a sudden absence in the scientific publications of his fellow physics buddies. When Bhabha returned to India in 1939, he soon became a close ally of emerging Congress Party leader, Jawaharlal Nehru.

For Nehru, Bhabha proved to be his intellectual soul mate. Unlike any other leader or scientist of the time, Bhabha had the vision and technical skill to develop an ambitious nuclear program that was required to preserve the sovereignty of independent India. And with Nehru at the helm of affairs post-independence, Bhabha had a free hand to chart the path for modern India's role in science and technology.

Over the last 70 years, TIFR, where Bhabha served as the founding director, has nurtured world class researchers in the field of Einsteinian relativity.

One of the first research centres that Bhabha set up was the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) in 1945. To persuade the Sir Dorabji Jamsetji Tata Trust to fund this institute, Bhabha wrote an aggressive letter, in which castigated the mediocre applied research institutes that were wasting the scientific talent in the country. Instead he proposed a dedicated institute where research in physics and fundamental sciences could lead a national movement of science and technology towards national security and industrial applications. In a mark of an ingenious visionary, he wrote in the letter:

"It is neither possible nor desirable to separate nuclear physics from cosmic rays since the two are closely connected theoretically."

Homi Jehangir Bhabha, father of the Indian Nuclear Programme (Image Credit: Homi Bhabha Fellowship)

(L-R) Albert Einstein, Hideki Yukawa, John Wheeler (the one who coined the word 'black hole') and Homi Bhabha at the Institute for Advanced Studies in Princeton (Image Credit: Princeton University)

Over the last 70 years, TIFR, where Bhabha served as the founding director, has nurtured world class researchers in the field of Einsteinian relativity. In 2007, TIFR opened a new campus in Bangalore -- the International Centre for Theoretical Sciences -- where the chair of IndIGO consortium, Bala Iyer is leading the effort for the LIGO-India project. The legendary Indian cosmologist Jayant Narlikar (Padma Vibhushan) started his career at TIFR and later formed the Inter University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) in Pune in 1988. The team at IUCAA, led by one of the leaders in space-based gravitational-wave experiments, Sanjeev Dhurandhar, will lead the gravitational-wave data-analysis effort for the proposed LIGO-India project. LIGO-India, the third of the LIGO detectors (currently one is in Louisiana and the other in Washington, USA), is a mega science project in collaboration with the United States to build and operate a gravitational-wave detector on India soil, like the one that detected the first gravitational waves.

LIGO-India, the third of the LIGO detectors, is a mega science project in collaboration with the United States to build and operate a gravitational-wave detector on India soil, like the one that detected the first gravitational waves. It is believed that Bhabha convinced Nehru and Ambedkar to add "scientific temper" as one of the fundamental duties [in the Constitution].

As the director also of the Atomic Energy Commission of India, Bhabha formed the Atomic Research Centre (named in his honour as Bhabha Atomic Research Centre; BARC) for peaceful, use of nuclear technology. BARC channelized the formation of the Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT) at Indore in 1984. The advance lasers and quantum optics that are crucial to maintain sensitivity of the LIGO-India experiment will be lead by scientists at RRCAT. In 1986, the Institute for Plasma Research (IPR) in Gandhinagar was set up by the governing council of BARC. The scientists at IPR will lead the ambitious effort of building 16sq km of vacuum chambers that will form the L-shaped interferometer path for the LIGO-India experiment.

When Bhabha led the Scientific Advisory Committee for the Government of India, he initiated plans for ambitious space programme in 1962, which later evolved as the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and the formation of Department of Space. These organizations, along with Department of Atomic Energy and Department of Science & Technology, have remained central funding agencies for astrophysics and fundamental science research in India.

Bhabha's legacy in 21st century India is well captured in the LIGO detection paper, "Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Black Hole Merger", which has over 30 Indian researchers. The LIGO scientific collaboration gratefully acknowledges the role of these Indian funding agencies, which Bhabha charted within just 25 years of his active role in India. This detection paper will be cited by every scientific publication in the field of astrophysics and Einstein's Relativity for at least the next 50 years.

If we want to Make in India, and Discover in India, then without any dilution, we should work towards promoting a "scientific temper" in India.

Among the most critical contributions of Bhabha to modern India and the new era of gravitational-wave science in our country is the inclusion of the term "scientific temper" in our Constitution. India is only the country that places constitutional values in scientific logic and rationality. It is believed that Bhabha convinced Nehru and Ambedkar to add "scientific temper" as one of the fundamental duties.

At time when we Indians are participating in the greatest scientific feats by mankind, we are also being fooled by pseudo- and anti-science practices that are rampant in every corner of this nation. It is a sad state when miracle-making godmen, astrologers, vastu-shastra, and hoax medical products get more income revenue from our citizens than the total science budget of institutes like IUCAA.

The acknowledgement to the Indian scientist by Prime Minister Modi on the day of the announcement of the gravitational-wave detection thus and today a historic announcement for approval of LIGO-India project set the right tone on the priorities of our scientific nation in the making. And if we want to Make in India, and Discover in India, then without any dilution, we should work towards promoting a "scientific temper" in India. It is only then we carry forward Homi Bhabha's legacy for India in the science of tomorrow.

mayfair

‘Good Scientists Solve Problems, but Great Scientists Know What’s Worth Solving’
By Nithyanand Rao & Swetamber Das on 29/10/2015

Abhay Ashtekar. Credit: pitt.edu

Abhay Ashtekar is a theoretical physicist and the founder of loop quantum gravity, an increasingly popular branch of physics that attempts to unify quantum mechanics with Albert Einstein’s theory of general relativity (which celebrates its centenary this year). Currently the Director of the Institute for Gravitational Physics and Geometry at Pennsylvania State University, Ashtekar spoke to Nithyanand Rao and Swetamber Das at IIT Madras on October 7, 2015 about his inspirations, his encounters with Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar and Roger Penrose, work on gravity and cosmology, and his criticisms of string theory.

The freewheeling interview has been edited for clarity and divided into four parts:

1. Getting started on gravity and cosmology
  2. Learning from Chandra
  3. Challenges in loop quantum gravity
  4. Arrogance in string theory
Part I – Getting started on gravity and cosmology
How did you get interested in gravity? Since the very beginning you have been working in this area.

Well, I grew up in a small town and not in a big city. My father was in the civil services and he was transferred to a small town called Kolhapur. There, somehow I managed to find some books by George Gamow. Now, I don’t know how. That was very interesting for me, particularly this book called One Two Three…Infinity. That had some cosmology that Gamow had written about in a popular manner. That’s what got me interested in this kind of science.

Then, I went to Bombay to do the last two years of my B.Sc. At that time, I was very fortunate that some senior professors at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) started a project in which they were to get a few students from colleges – undergraduates – to come to TIFR once a week to discuss things. So inspired by Gamow’s books and things like that, I tried to construct some cosmological theories – like how Newton’s [gravitational] constant was changing in time and if that happens, how does the cosmological scenario change? I have to say that Gamow’s were semi-popular books. They were not serious scientific books but still there were a few formulae in it, so I just used that.

Then, there were people like S. M. Chitre – he retired many years ago but is still active and lives in Bombay. I gave him the paper and he encouraged me very much.

When you went to the US, you were specific that you wanted to work on gravity…

Yeah. In those days, there was no internet. It’s impossible for you to imagine! [Laughs] Therefore, one did not have too much information. So one had to go to the United States Information Service which was in the US consulate. They used to have these little brochures from various US universities which described their graduate programs. So I looked up graduate programs there. There were two – one in Maryland which had a strong program in gravity, general relativity and cosmology; and the second was in [the University of] Texas. So I applied to these two places.

Maryland wrote back immediately saying that they don’t consider students from India until they finish their Master’s, but Texas admitted me and gave me an assistantship. Probably this was due to the letters I got from various people at TIFR. But it worked out. I was extremely under-prepared as you can imagine.

So you went right after your B.Sc.?

Yes, I was not quite 20, I think, when I went. I had what was more like a sophomore-level of preparation, but I was in a graduate program. The first year in particular was extremely tough; I had a lot of work ahead of me to catch up, that was very hard. These were quantum jumps. In a way it was also helpful, because I did not have time to get a culture shock as I was too tired to do anything other than work!

Also, the people at TIFR had suggested we all go through the Feynman Lectures on Physics, which were more fresh at that time. There were problems to be solved at the end of each chapter. There was one particular problem – nothing really profound – in the first volume itself. I did the problem at first and my answer matched with the answer given at the back of the book. Then I realised that something was wrong with the answer conceptually. So, I re-did it and I got a different answer. I presented that at TIFR; they said yes, this is right. And then like an aggressive, cheeky kid, I decided to write to Feynman, saying there’s a mistake in the book – it was not really in the book, just in the answers. I wrote that if you do the problem naively then you get the answer given at the back of the book but, in fact, it’s wrong and it should be done this way.

He was very kind – he replied. He said, yes, the book is wrong and you are right. So I think that letter probably helped me later to get an assistantship and admission to Texas, even though I was not prepared at all. Anyway, I caught up in a couple of years.

That must have been a huge morale booster for you.

Yes, it really was. Feynman was very kind to young people but he also wanted to put some distance – he ended the letter by saying “you know the subject well enough to rely on yourself”. Basically telling me not to bother him again! [Laughs] At least, that’s how I understood it.

Then, I started working with a young faculty member at the same time that I was doing these basic courses [at the University of Texas]. His name was Robert Geroch; and Chandra [Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar], was actually very impressed with him. He offered Bob [Geroch] a position in Chicago. Bob offered to take me with him to Chicago. So I finished in Chicago.

Part II – Learning from Chandra
Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.

I guess you took classes by Chandra as well.

Yes, I came to know him quite well. I was very fortunate. After my Ph.D., I went to Oxford to work with Roger Penrose. That was also because of Chandra. But then they asked me to come back to Chicago. So I went to Chicago again. Particularly in this second stage, I came to know Chandra and his wife very well. They were kind. They used to invite me for dinners and so on. Chandra was so reserved; he was god-like, a completely different level of human being. But then he would get into the flow of things and he would tell all the stories – his memory was just phenomenal; there is nobody who comes anywhere close to him. He would remember what he was doing in, say, August 1931 and what had happened then. He would recall it with all the details – all the people and all the names and everything. I have trouble remembering what happened yesterday! He would tell these fantastic stories.

I was really fortunate that I got this exposure to three great people, my great teachers: One was my Ph.D. advisor Robert Geroch. Chandra told me that he felt that except for John von Neumann, he has never seen anyone as brilliant as Bob; and it was true. Bob is extremely brilliant. But then something happened and he suddenly stopped working. I don’t know what happened but before that he was totally off-scale. He had such clarity of thinking, such crispness. I learnt by osmosis – the way of thinking, how to think from scratch. He would take us once a week for a pizza dinner or something and hand us a new research paper. Those days, everything came by mail because there was no arXiV or anything. We were supposed to look at the abstract of the paper and try to guess what it was about and how did they did it. That was very good, because you have to start from scratch and you didn’t know much to begin with; and we were just graduate students. He used to put us in this situation – it was like being thrown into the water and being asked to swim.

With Chandra, I got this deeper sense of values – which is about what is “right”, a moral compass about how to be a good scientist and a good human being. A proper sense of values. Chandra was the one who said that I should go to Oxford for my postdoc. I was fortunate again as I had got several offers but Chandra said I should go to Oxford, so I went there.

I went to Roger Penrose. With Penrose also, it was really unique. He was not as brilliant as Bob Geroch was, or as quick. But he had this way of dreaming, looking into the future, groping in the dark and coming up with completely unbelievable ideas. That’s also something that you cannot learn from a book – you see these people in action and you learn. I think with all these three people I learnt things which I could never have learnt from books. Robert Geroch’s clarity, crispness and speed; with Chandra the backbone, the hard and deep stuff which always makes life meaningful; and with Roger Penrose it was a dream-like quality that is so essential for research.

The hardest thing about research is always – I tell this to my students and postdocs – this balance. When you do something and you are in the middle of it, you need – like Chandra said – a certain amount of scientific arrogance. There’s nothing wrong about scientific arrogance. There’s everything wrong about personal arrogance. Scientific arrogance is basically the belief that, yes, I am going to solve this problem. Even if other people have thought about it, it doesn’t matter; I will solve it. You really have to get into it. You want to get into the details, you want to understand the intricate structure which is laid out in front of you, find the missing links. And things that are completely wrong in your thinking and maybe also in other people’s thinking. At that time you just have to be an extreme optimist. You have to believe that it’s going to work and completely disregard scepticism from other people. But then once it is finished, you have to turn around 180 degrees and you have to look at in “cold blood”. Does it even make sense? And then poke every possible hole in it. It’s just the opposite of what you first did. First you make progress, do things; and then be your worst critic.

These two skills are draining. You can go with the first skill quite a bit, but after a while you don’t advance. You need to have this ability of really going back and looking at things critically and seeing the solidity – and poking every hole that anybody else can poke. If you don’t have this solid foundation, you cannot build on it further. You can just do the first things and not go much further. I think that psychologically and mentally this is tiring, to be able to go back and forth.

One has to be able to cope with frustration as well.

Yes, it can be frustrating because you believe in it, and you have spent so much of energy and passion and time on this problem. But then, you have to get used to it and work on the next problem. This is the skill. This is, I think, how you achieve good productivity on a long range.

The other important thing is that – I learnt this from Chandra more than anybody else – many people can solve a problem. I mean, I can solve many problems even more elegantly than Chandra might have solved. But the skill is to come up with a problem – to come up with the right problems. Things that are going to change the direction. Things that are not going to be only incremental progress but really could make a difference. And that, I think, is not easy. That is what distinguishes great scientists from good scientists – the ability to really spot this, what is really worth working on. I don’t mean to trivialise the second ability, which is the ability to solve a given hard problem, because it requires both the arsenal of tools and some brilliance. But it’s not the same as coming up with the right questions to ask. That is, I think, something that students should be aware of. It is not enough to be extremely smart and to be able to solve a problem. That is a different skill than things that will shift paradigms. Of course, you need both of them to make real progress.

You won the first prize for an essay from the Gravity Research Foundation back in 1977.

It’s a funny foundation. It started in a slightly crackpot-ish manner. But then very senior scientists like Bryce DeWitt, Roger Penrose, Stephen Hawking all submitted essays. The essays were supposed to be about ideas more than just technical papers. Something which is more important than just a technical result, something which looks at a problem in a certain way, a new direction – not paradigm-changing, not that big.

You had completed your Ph.D. by the time?

Yeah, I was actually on my second postdoc at the time. I think I was in Chicago. I had some ideas and I wrote it up. I had done my homework by seeing how to write those things so that it makes an impact. Because even if you have a good idea, if you don’t put it in the right way it doesn’t have the same impact as somebody else who might have a lesser idea but puts it in the right framework and makes interconnections. It was not something really great, but it was satisfying to be recognised. I think it’s not very often that people who are postdocs get it. Usually more senior people got it.

When we’re young and try to do something new, it’s always there at the back of our minds, how well will it be received by the experts.

Even for a technical paper, the title and the abstract are really important even if you may think “what’s the big deal?” But those things are important. Somehow those are the skills that you don’t always learn. Maybe because your advisors never tell you. But it’s important. The number of people who’d actually look at that paper would depend on how you write these things.

So yeah, it was good. I got it somewhat early compared to some other people.

Part III – Challenges in loop quantum gravity
Depiction of a cyclotron. Credit: Robert Couse-Baker/Flickr, CC BY 2.0

If we can now come to loop quantum gravity, which you’ve been working on for a long time.

It is a fact that unifying ideas from general relativity and quantum mechanics has been a long-standing problem. The motivation for loop quantum gravity comes from multiple directions. Technically, it had to do with these ideas that Penrose had about twistor space. When I was a postdoc, I learned twistor theory. Though I never worked on it, I learned completely about what was happening at that time. The big breakthroughs happened around that time in twistor theory. They’re happening again now, but there was a little bit of a quiet period for a long time. And there were some critical ideas that Penrose had, about what the role played by helicity or self-duality was. That is to say, there are some symmetries of solutions of Einstein’s equations [of general relativity], and Penrose felt that this symmetry has to do with duality. For example, if you have a photon, just like every zero rest-mass particle, it has two helicities. It is spinning either in the direction of the four-momentum or in the opposite direction. So you get these two helicity states. The same thing is true in the weak-field limit for gravitons. So Penrose was trying to generalise that idea in the nonlinear context.

I felt that the way that it was happening in twistor theory was very, very interesting, but that somehow it was not going completely in the right direction. They were emphasising complex manifolds a lot, and not real manifolds. I felt that one has to take those ideas but formulate them in terms of real space-times, real metrics. Because that’s what we experience – it’s more directly, physically relevant. I felt that there was some deep idea but it was not being used in the most fruitful way. That was the one technical aspect of the problem. So one deep motivation came from some of the important ideas from twistor theory and, as I say that, they’re becoming important again now.

The second thing was about the idea that, because gravity arises from the space and time in general relativity, if you have a quantum theory of gravity it should also be a quantum theory of geometry. Therefore, this continuum geometry we see around us should be an approximation. Just like this table, for example, looks very smooth and continuous to me. But if I look at it under an electron microscope, I see there’s this discrete structure – there are atoms in a lattice, and there’s a lot of vacuum between them. So the idea is that there should be atoms of geometry, that there should be some fundamental building block out of which geometry arises. And then, coming from these ideas that I was telling you, which were inspired by twistor theory, it turned out that the fundamental excitations of the geometry should not be like gravitons but it’ll be deeper. Gravitons will be an approximate concept later on. But it’ll be deeper and they turn out to be one-dimensional.

So the fundamental excitations are one-dimensional, which is a little like a polymer. If I take this shirt, and I take a magnifying glass, I can see that the shirt is fundamentally one-dimensional, because the threads are one-dimensional. It’s just that those threads are so densely packed that I get an illusion that it’s two-dimensional. What comes out in loop quantum gravity is that the geometry of space is like that. It’s woven by these one-dimensional fibres, it’s like a polymer. But this polymer is so intricately woven and tightly spaced that we get this illusion of continuum. It’s coarse-graining. If you go to the atomic size, it’s not continuum at all. But if I coarse-grain it, there are so many atoms that, for all practical purposes, it’s a continuum. The same thing is true of geometry. The geometry we use in Einstein’s theory, general relativity, where space-time is a smooth continuum, is an approximation. To go beyond, one has to work with this fundamental building block, these atoms of space-time. That’s the basic idea of loop quantum gravity. Then one has to come up with proper equations for this.

In the 1990s, several colleagues, particularly Jerzy Lewandowski at Warsaw – who was a postdoc with me – developed this quantum theory of geometry. Since then, it has been used for black holes, for cosmology, the Big Bang. So there are about 250-300 people in the world who work on this now. We have meetings called Loops every two years – just this year we had one, in Germany.

Do you foresee any experimental tests?

In any approach to quantum gravity, experimental tests are hard to come by, just because technology has not caught up with the theory. I mean, general relativity is a hundred years old, and it’s only now that we can hope to see hard tests of general relativity. We still don’t have a single hard test of the strong field regime of general relativity. All the tests we’ve had are more or less about weak gravity – strong compared to Newton’s, but weak compared to Einstein gravity. The hard test would be two black holes colliding and they’d produce gravitational waves. There’s great excitement now because the gravitational wave observatory [Advanced Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory] has come online. They’ve been building for 20 years, but now they have the sensitivity to be able to see this. There’s this rumour that there’s a detection. We’ll see what happens.

So even with general relativity, it has taken so long, a century. Quantum gravity is even harder to test. Therefore it’s not likely that we’re going to get direct tests of any quantum gravity theory tomorrow, but we would have observational evidence coming in. And that would be through – to me at least, it seems – cosmology, the very early universe. In the last three years, we’ve been working very hard on that, trying to push the so-called inflationary scenario. Inflationary scenario starts very early when the density of matter was extremely high, but still very low compared to what’s called the Planck density where quantum gravity effects would come up. It’s about 10-12 times Planck density. Planck density is about 1097 kg/m3. So the density relevant for inflationary cosmology is 1085 kg/m3. Nuclear density is only about 1018 kg/m3.

So we’re already talking about around 70 orders of magnitude higher than nuclear density. But we want to go even beyond – it was very hard work, but very satisfying also. It’s like what I was telling you before – during those years, you just have to believe that somehow it’s going to work. We did succeed, we did complete the program.

So you’re essentially looking for the signatures in the cosmic microwave background (CMB).

Exactly. But it could also be large-scale structure [in the universe], ultimately. It’s amazing that this large-scale structure arose from the CMB. There are limitations as to what you would be able to see with CMB and what large-scale structure can show you. It’s just the CMB structures that have got magnified to the large-scale structure and, therefore, looking at galaxy-galaxy correlations and such things, it really came from some correlations of the CMB. So, the inhomogeneities [of the CMB] – there will be some deviations because of the pre-history, which is even before inflation – have to do with quantum gravity. Then the question is: are they observable or are they not observable?

I have been working on it for so long and now one can actually make contact with observations and say that there should be deviations from what the standard inflation is and these deviations would be the imprints of what happened before. And that has to do with the Planck epoch and quantum gravity and so on. We are still not in the stage in which one would say well, this is the smoking gun. Even inflation is not the smoking gun of anything. People would say that there are other scenarios. There isn’t any other obvious explanation which works so well, so one takes it very very seriously. Similarly, there are these deviations from inflation, for which there should be some natural, fundamental explanation.

So, with improved observations, it should be possible to have experimental tests.

Yes, in fact Planck [a European Space Agency satellite that studied the CMB] data may be useful. The Planck collaboration is now going to release the data that we need. They plan to release it within a year from now – in the middle of next year. So, these are interesting times!

Part IV – Arrogance in string theory
Strings and stars

There was this Strings conference recently at Bangalore. A claim was made there, in fact quite explicitly, that it’s the only way to quantise gravity and so on.

There are many things I have to say. First of all, I think that string theory has really enriched our understanding enormously, especially with new connections in mathematics and this so-called AdS/CFT correspondence. In some sense, it has expanded the reach of Einstein’s gravity because you can use methods from gravitational physics – for example, some Green’s function on black hole background space-time – in order to calculate some quantities in superconductivity. It’s pretty amazing that you can do such things. Of course, hard condensed-matter physicists will say while that’s useful, it’s a model which mimics superconductivity at some level but it really is not high-temperature superconductivity we actually see in materials. I think, say, 80% or 90% of the condensed matter physicists would say that. But to me it is still interesting that one can actually do such things.

So there is no question that string theory has enriched us. What is unfortunate is that they are extremely intolerant, in my opinion. It’s everywhere. There is no need to be so intolerant. Because in science there should be a competition of ideas. Let it be a free competition of ideas rather than declarations. It’s not faith; and somehow when you say this is the only true thing, I don’t see much difference between that and some guru saying that his is the only true path.

One of them even made a claim that alternative approaches have been incorporated to string theory and, therefore, it’s the only true theory.

Joe Polchinski, a very prominent string theorist, he did say explicitly that – this was some years ago, at KITP [Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics] Santa Barbara at its 25th anniversary. He said, well, string theory has incorporated everything. String theory is a little like Microsoft because at that time Microsoft was incorporating everything. He said loop quantum gravity was more like Apple. I thought it was a great complement! [Laughs] He explicitly said so. I said somehow I could accept Apple; at least Microsoft wouldn’t gobble us up!

That was a huge compliment.

Well, yes. In retrospect, it was a huge compliment, exactly!

String theory has achieved a lot. I don’t know why science needs such statements; indeed, scientists should not make such statements. Let the evidence prove that it’s the only theory. Let the evidence prove that it is better than other theories or let its predictions be reproduced more than those of others. Science should not become theology. And, somehow such statements have a strong smell of theology, which I don’t like.

There’s even been talk of “post-empirical science”.

Yes. There was another Strings conference in India at TIFR, in 2001. I happened to be in India at that time – people had just discovered that the universe is going through accelerated expansion, so that the cosmological constant may be positive. And I saw in newspapers that Tom Banks and Edward Witten had said that, no, the cosmological constant cannot be positive because it is incompatible with string theory. It has to be negative, they said. And that these observations are premature. They were completely wrong. The fact is that nobody goes back to these things and says, well, let us be a little more modest about it.

It’s like shifting the goal post.

Exactly! There is nothing wrong with making the statement. But then ignoring completely that you made that statement – that is wrong. And then to say that this is the only theory. It has not had hard experimental/observational success, and it has not made that much progress in quantum gravity. It does not tell us, for example, what really happens when a black hole evaporates. There is some dual description of it but there is no space-time description of it. It doesn’t tell us what happens to the singularities of general relativity. All the hard questions that are there in quantum gravity, they are not answered by string theory.

The second thing is that, in fact, the big progress of string theory since 1997 – with Juan Maldacena’s conjecture, AdS/CFT; so, it’s now been 18 years or so – has been in the applied ideas of gravity to other areas of physics and there it has been successful. I am impressed by the success. Other people who actually work in other areas may not be as deeply impressed but I feel that to have seen an underlying unity in science at some level, even though it is not at an exact level that one wants it to be, I think that is good. That’s progress.

We seem to be using these gravity ideas in other domains of physics rather than solving quantum gravity problems. I don’t think that the quantum gravity problems have been solved. And I have said this explicitly in conferences with panels – in which Joe Polchinski, Juan Maldacena and I were panellists – that, in my view, this is very powerful and these are good things. However, the AdS/CFT conjecture is the only definition of non-perturbative string theory one has – and it’s a definition, it’s not a proof of anything. It talks about duality, but there’s no proof of duality. To have a duality, A should be well defined, B should be well defined and then you say that A is dual to B. Since we don’t have another definition of string theory, we cannot hope to prove that string theory is dual to its conformal field theory. You can define string theory to be the conformal field theory. You have to construct a dictionary relating string theory in the bulk and conformal field theory on the boundary. That dictionary has not been constructed in complete detail.

Again, nobody is taking anything away from the successes that the AdS/CFT duality has had; but there is a big gap between the successes and the rhetoric. The rhetoric is at a much higher level than the successes. So, for example, in this conjecture, first of all the space-time is 10 dimensional. The physical space-time is supposed to be asymptotically anti-de Sitter, which has a negative cosmological constant. But we look around us, and we find a positive cosmological constant. Secondly, the internal dimensions in the conjecture, or this definition, are macroscopic. The Kaluza-Klein idea is that there are higher dimensions but because they are all wrapped up and microscopic, say, at Planck scale, we don’t see them. That’s plausible. But here, in AdS/CFT duality, they need the radius of the internal dimensions to be the same as the cosmological radius. If so, if I try to look up I should see these ten dimensions; I don’t. So, it can’t have much to do with the real world that we actually live in. These are elephants in the room which are not being addressed.

There is a Centennial volume of General Relativity which was just published. I was editor-in-chief of that work. The volume has four parts – the fourth part is called Beyond Einstein and deals with quantum gravity. At the beginning, there is an introduction for a general audience, a not-too-technical introduction as to how the field of quantum gravity has evolved. There’s a subsection called “Elephants in the Room” and I say explicitly that there are these obvious issues and practitioners just pretend that they don’t exist. And that to me is unconscionable; I feel that that’s not good science. I don’t mean to say string theory is not good science, but publicizing it the way it’s done is not good science. I think one should say what it has done, rather than this hyperbole.

What did you think of Lee Smolin’s book The Trouble with Physics? I believe you’ve worked with him.

I’ve worked with Lee but I have not read that book. That’s a qualifier that I have here. Some of my close friends who are very good physicists who have read the book – who are not in gravity, but very good condensed-matter physicists – said that they liked it. They thought that he made good sense at the end. But string theorists say that the book is misleading, it has wrong or false historical statements. I don’t know because I was not there. So, I don’t know much about that.

I feel it’s very good that people like Lee, who understand things, write such books expressing their point of view of it. But personally, I feel that I would like to do science. Let its value be decided by what comes after – maybe it’s not worthwhile. That’s fine. I had a good time, and somehow that’s enough for me in some ways. But I do believe, as I told you before, that I wouldn’t be spending so much energy and time and concentration unless I believe that it has some very good ideas. I firmly believe that whatever the final theory is – it’s not going to be loop quantum gravity as we know it today but it would have some essential ideas that come from loop quantum gravity; it would probably also have some essential ideas from string theory – I certainly think that the idea of quantum geometry is going to survive. It is going to be there. It might be much more transformed, but it is going to be there.

So, I feel that I personally don’t want to get into these debates. I would like to talk more about doing science.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/638093/indian-scientists-play-pivotal-role.html

Forty Indian scientists from 13 institutions, including two in Bengaluru, played a crucial role in the discovery of the strongest ever gravity wave signal reported by an international team of astronomers on Monday.

The waves emerged from a pair of colliding neutron stars — one of the dying phases of a heavy-duty star in the far away universe.

Albert Einstein had predicted the existence of these waves a century ago. But the first gravity wave signal was spotted only in September 2015.

In the last two years, scientists were able to detect only four of these weak signals, which came from collapsing black holes, billions of light years away.

The latest gravitational wave, on the other hand, is the first one from a neutron star and gave the strongest signal as it originated in the constellation of Hydra at a relatively close distance of 130 million light years (one light year is the distance travelled by the light in a year) from the earth.

Typical neutron stars are heavier than the sun, but have a diameter of just about 20 kilometres (objects so dense that a teaspoonful of neutron star material weighs more than the Mount Everest.)

The detection was confirmed by nearly 70 telescopes around the world that studied various forms of radiation from the merger. Observations from three Indian telescopes were also used in the final analysis.

The gravity wave was spotted first on August 17, following which hundreds of physicists from around the world studied the source and the waves in details.

“One of the key contributions from the Indian scholars was to find out ways to find whether a particular signal is of environmental origin or emanating from an astronomical source,” Sanjit Mitra, one of the team members from Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune told DH.

Mitra was one of the 11 Indian scientists, who are the part of the discovery team comprising scientists from US-based Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) and Europe’s Virgo detector.

The two Bengaluru institutes — Indian Institute of Astrophysics and International Centre for Theoretical Sciences — were part of the discovery.

In the last three decades, several Indian scholars richly contributed to the development of the underlying mathematics that led to the discovery of these extremely feeble waves from the other sides of the universe.

“The latest discovery would help us accurately measure the expansion rate of the universe from which its age can be calculated independently,” Mitra said. There are scientific debates on the Universe's age, which has been calculated as 13.82 billion years.

The Pune centre spearheads the Indian effort to set up another gravity wave observatory, which is to be operational by 2024.

“The observatory needs 350 acres of land. We hope that the land acquisition process would be over in another 6 months,” said Somak Raychaudhury, IUCAA director
My sister's article on quantum gravity was published a long back in a famous international journal a long back.

mayfair

Good to know. Congrats to your sister. Which journal was it?

One thing I hope is that we continue to encourage and set up these centres of excellence for STEM in India. On the other hand we also need to free the Universities from bureaucracy and vested interests to allow them to flourish, especially the STEM courses. The least that can be done is to insulate the STEM departments from the rest of the university bureaucracy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles