Indian Scale Models

modelmaker

Thanks, Firstly I would never advise anyone to get a spray can, as the pressure at the initial stage and later when the pressure goes down will create an uneven surface, and while you have controlled the right amount of pressure and distance from the spray can be hard. Plus you can't modulate the color it is what it is. For starts, a hair brush and acrylic paint are the best but getting an airbrush should be the goal. Decals are a different thing altogether, as the most printer is CYMK there is so there no white ink one need to get white waterslide paper and print, also with color graphic it doesn't register well as it needs white base and printing over it. For black design or graphic is doable. Scale models are arts and can't be rush so hence time-consuming, goal is to enjoy while building it. Cheers
Hello, I use a spray can for a primer base and also gloss and matt varnish. I also own an airbrush. Which non spray can primer/ varnish would you suggest that can be used with an airbrush

desicommando

Country flag

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
can you plese tell me where i can get tipnis grey ( Tamiya, Vallejo, Mr. color, Humbrol) or which paint do you use. I am building a Jaguar aircraft.
Thank you
Bhai sahab my art and craft skills are limited to drawing an autistic looking baby, which I drew under extreme pressure and threat back in grade 2 .
I don't know 🤷‍♀️ , ask some one like @tomthounaojam ji he is the one who has made most of the models shown in this thread.
I only know what that shade of grey is called . @Tactical Doge ( the bone nibbler doge)
@FalconSlayers ( panditji and part time economist)
@Lonewolf ( engineer who is always on hunt )
@Lonewarrior ( the ego destroyer)
@RocketMan ( doctor from bihar who owns a electronic tata nexon , has no charging port though)

desicommando

Country flag
@tomthounaojam, I am also a scale modeller. Your work is excellent. I have to import items from Ebay, due to limited availability of these kits and paints in India. Please help me with IAF decals as I am more keen to build Indian Airforce jets. Also help me with the specific paint for Indian jets. I have lots of greys from Valejjo, Tamiya, revell, testors.
Thank you

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Bhai sahab my art and craft skills are limited to drawing an autistic looking baby, which I drew under extreme pressure and threat back in grade 2 .
I don't know 🤷‍♀️ , ask some one like @tomthounaojam ji he is the one who has made most of the models shown in this thread.
I only know what that shade of grey is called . @Tactical Doge ( the bone nibbler doge)
@FalconSlayers ( panditji and part time economist)
@Lonewolf ( engineer who is always on hunt )
@Lonewarrior ( the ego destroyer)
@RocketMan ( doctor from bihar who owns a electronic tata nexon , has no charging port though)
Why my description seems like I'm some kind of psychedelic mushroom that you take to forgo all your worldly affairs
😑

Anyways, I'm more into making weapons than painting them...but ya, you can try to look for something in the range of RGB(124, 129, 135).
It looks almost like Tipnis Grey

desicommando

Country flag
@tomthounaojam, in one of your post i found that you have made tipnis grey using Tamiya XF-1, XF-2 & XF-66. I have all three paints. It would be easier if you tell the mixing ratio. Also particular shade of grey that was used before Tipnis Grey.
Although the newer IAF aircrafts shade is very similar to Ghost Grey colour.

tomthounaojam

Country flag
@tomthounaojam, in one of your post i found that you have made tipnis grey using Tamiya XF-1, XF-2 & XF-66. I have all three paints. It would be easier if you tell the mixing ratio. Also particular shade of grey that was used before Tipnis Grey.
Although the newer IAF aircrafts shade is very similar to Ghost Grey colour.
The new aircraft is different from the current one because, it is either painted in the US of A, France, or Spain now.
Actually, you don't need to worry about Tipnis grey, it is just 50 shades of grey if you look at this Su-30mki lineup

Most are different. As for me, I will take the white first about 30% then add 60% Gret and black as per my project. Before Tipinis, I believe it was similar to Ghost Grey or air dominance grey.

Last edited:

tomthounaojam

Country flag
@tomthounaojam, I am also a scale modeller. Your work is excellent. I have to import items from Ebay, due to limited availability of these kits and paints in India. Please help me with IAF decals as I am more keen to build Indian Airforce jets. Also help me with the specific paint for Indian jets. I have lots of greys from Valejjo, Tamiya, revell, testors.
Thank you
Thank you, eBay is good depending on what you want to buy? Paint will always be a Pain in India. But yeah some desi colors work. Like camel acrylic. IAF one guy does from the UK you have to wait for his next availability as it get sold out very quickly. Valejo is good for figure painting. But then what types of paint you are looking for? Acrylic, Enamel, or Lacquer?

desicommando

Country flag
My last IAF project Mig-25RB and Mig-25U, These are ICM kits

Beautiful.. I have vallejo, tamiya, revell, mr. hobby paints. I was just looking for a particular shade that matches Tipnis grey. In Greys I have Dark ghost, light ghost, dark gull, light gull, dark grey, medium grey, light grey, usaf aggressor grey, usaf medium grey, sky grey, german grey, gunship grey, olive grey, Dark sea grey, medium sea grey.
I think i have to mix match the paints to get the colour according to the project.

tomthounaojam

Country flag
@tomthounaojam do you have any social media id where you post these pictures or only in this forum?
I do post but am not so active, I get many questions(related to buying) and get distracted so whenever I feel like I post here and there.
Darn, you have many paints, but the goal is don't get distracted by these fancy paints, need to know the art of mixing to your ref project picture, which will give you some solace otherwise you will keep buying fancy paints and will not be satisfied. Medium Sea grey is a good start for IAF grey.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles