Indian private sector involvement in defence R&D and defence production

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
What is written on the pic you posted is obscuration of fact and blatant lies through half truths

No Indian company manufacturers or has the capability to manufacture bolometers , all are imported , only few around 4 companies manufacturers the same in the world. eg DRDO imports from sofadir

Hence every indian company saying they are building indigenous optics or thermal sights are bluffing more or less. Since critical component like bolometers are being imported .

There is no difference between tongbo and other Indian companies . Infact tongbo is a step ahead because they own the IPR and design their own systems. Majority of Indian companies simply relabel foreign products when it comes to optics and thermal equipments including Tatas .

Tonbo ceo was part of standford research in india , but he quit then formed tonbo imaging as a spinout of Sarnoff Corporation and Stanford Research International India . The guy who wrote in the pic checked jack shit . Tonbo ceo had himself clarified in an interview . Google it and judge for yourself. The guy posted the link but conveniently forgot to quote from it . Why ? Because he / she is lying. Or Check tonbo website

And there is no Indian start up in optics except for tonbo. I challenge anybody to prove me wrong .

In optics no Indian company can stand toe to toe with tonbo . They have business worldwide because their major customers are darpa US special forces etc. Indian army came to know about tongbo through US special forces when they were surprised to learn that their optics were made by an indian company.

The pic you posted is a hit job basically. Looks like an effort to shut it down in India . Today tonbo tomorrow SSS
AFAIK they have only have sales and marketing team based of America, their R&D and assembly is carried out in India.

In his own words

Now the army and defence ministry, and Northern Command in particular, are Tonbo’s clients but India was late to the party. The company’s tech took a circuitous route via the US Special Forces and Israeli Army before reaching Indian hands.
Tonbo got on the radar of the Indian Armed Forces only during a joint exercise with NATO eight years ago. Some of the weapons the US Army showcased had Tonbo smarts.

“This came from an engineering centre in Bengaluru, they told the Indians. That’s when the army reached out to us. Five countries were buying our tech before India bought from us," recalls Arvind Lakshmikumar, founder and CEO of Tonbo Imaging. That it took so long to gain his home country’s trust is the only low point Lakshmikumar can think of in his entrepreneurial journey so far.

Karthi

Country flag
The question is tonbo really an India company.?
Tombo founded in 2008 by BITS-Pilani alumni Lakshmikumar, makes advanced imaging and night-vision systems that are used for military and commercial applications.

https://tonboimaging.com/about/ you can see the team is consists only Indians , few adviser's are foreigners

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Tombo founded in 2008 by BITS-Pilani alumni Lakshmikumar, makes advanced imaging and night-vision systems that are used for military and commercial applications.

https://tonboimaging.com/about/ you can see the team is consists only Indians , few adviser's are foreigners
If any of u niggas have any query u can go in their Bangalore office, they are open to your questions.
TBH @LurkerBaba we are probably the biggest defence forum In India some of our members could probably interview and creative narrative for Indigenous defence industry. We are more credible than many defences journos in this nation.
Can't we ourselves become more than just a jingo fourm.
I'm thinking somethings along the lines of Reddit AMA.
Recently MEA Jaishankar did a AMA in r/IndiaSpeaks.

Karthi

Country flag
If any of u niggas have any query u can go in their Bangalore office, they are open to your questions.
TBH @LurkerBaba we are probably the biggest defence forum In India some of our members could probably interview and creative narrative for Indigenous defence industry. We are more credible than many defences journos in this nation.
we need to create various social media accounts , Technical and news websites , And need to try to reach as much people of India and other countries . We need to debunk Anti India propoganda , a collective effort will certainly help .

Tuco

Country flag
Please don't call them journos, they are proverbial empty vessels. I was watching the FM's first day reform presser, one idiot asked "was government waiting for this disaster to bring on reforms" FM was like what? There are few learned ones but they doesn't make any difference.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Go for it. Be the change you seek :) since DFI is a community effort. Get in touch with people/invite them here for a "AMA" or post reviews of indigenous products. We've had some of this in the past by @Kunal Biswas @Yusuf and @sayareakd.

abhay rajput

Country flag
Yes it is, they also have subsidiaries in foreign countries same like mahindra mku etc
Really.? Can you tell me who owns the company.? Can you tell me who own the majority of shares in the company. Having indian headquarters doesn't mean it's indian. For example HDFC bank.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What is written on the pic you posted is obscuration of fact and blatant lies through half truths

No Indian company manufacturers or has the capability to manufacture bolometers , all are imported , only few around 4 companies manufacturers the same in the world. eg DRDO imports from sofadir

Hence every indian company saying they are building indigenous optics or thermal sights are bluffing more or less. Since critical component like bolometers are being imported .

There is no difference between tongbo and other Indian companies . Infact tongbo is a step ahead because they own the IPR and design their own systems. Majority of Indian companies simply relabel foreign products when it comes to optics and thermal equipments including Tatas .

Tonbo ceo was part of standford research in india , but he quit then formed tonbo imaging as a spinout of Sarnoff Corporation and Stanford Research International India . The guy who wrote in the pic checked jack shit . Tonbo ceo had himself clarified in an interview . Google it and judge for yourself. The guy posted the link but conveniently forgot to quote from it . Why ? Because he / she is lying. Or Check tonbo website

And there is no Indian start up in optics except for tonbo. I challenge anybody to prove me wrong .

In optics no Indian company can stand toe to toe with tonbo . They have business worldwide because their major customers are darpa US special forces etc. Indian army came to know about tongbo through US special forces when they were surprised to learn that their optics were made by an indian company.

The pic you posted is a hit job basically. Looks like an effort to shut it down in India . Today tonbo tomorrow SSS
what is the status of IRDE isn't their job is to develop optics ? are they also white elephant like GTRE?

Karthi

Country flag
I wasn't excepting that from you. Sir ji its not even 50 percent desi company. I think it is owned by foreign investors.
Many Indian companies are manufacturing parts for Western countries , does that mean It's not Indigenous 😊 US satellites launching on PSLV , Isreali Spy satellite's launched in India does that mean it's not their products . This is what we call globalisation . TATA producing parts for GE engines , a small firm in Kozhikode Exporting components for Russian nuclear reactors , that doesn't mean these countries are lacking in tech .

We need to develop technologies but we need to find customers otherwise these developments are unnecessary . In that situation it's easy to buy from abroad

abhay rajput

Country flag
Many Indian companies are manufacturing parts for Western countries , does that mean It's not Indigenous 😊 US satellites launching on PSLV , Isreali Spy satellite's launched in India does that mean it's not their products . This is what we call globalisation . TATA producing parts for GE engines , a small firm in Kozhikode Exporting components for Russian nuclear reactors , that doesn't mean these countries are lacking in tech .

We need to develop technologies but we need to find customers otherwise these developments are unnecessary . In that situation it's easy to buy from abroad
I think you need to understand that in a company who owns majority of shares calls the shots.. in this case it's foreigners . You don't need to put unnecessary long comments. It's owned by foreign investors period.

Karthi

Country flag
I think you need to understand that in a company who owns majority of shares calls the shots.. in this case it's foreigners . You don't need to put unnecessary long comments. It's owned by foreign investors period.
Can you please provide details . Yes there may be but most of the directors are Indians

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Couldn't u understand IPR is owned by tonbo which was not possible in case if it was owned by foreign company.

Last edited by a moderator:

abhay rajput

Country flag
Can you please provide details . Yes there may be but most of the directors are Indians
It doesn't matter. Tonbo is owned by foreign investors mainly from USA . Same case with HDFC bank , ICICI bank and axis bank , they may sound Indians but they aren't because majority of shares are owned by foreign investors. It's just a technique to fool people . We made a huge mistake in the past regarding FDIs. We should never have allowed more than 50 percent foreign investors in any companies

abhay rajput

Country flag
Couldn't u understand IPR is owned by tonbo which was not possible in case if it was owned by foreign company.
[-- Personal attack redacted --].. it doesn't matter , if I own the company I can do whatever I want. Understand this statement

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Ugh .. I guess my words hurts you .. go study about business a little bit idiot. The people like you are the ones who get fools.. it doesn't matter , if I own the company I can do whatever I want. Understand this statement
[-- Personal attack redacted --]

abhay rajput

Country flag
go meet them if u r having doubts instead of barking here. I know u r a long time fool always creating issues out of everything.
[-- Personal attack redacted --]. I never said tonbo is an American company. I said majority of share are owned by foreigners effectively controlling decision making of that company. Tonbo is as Indian as private banks in Indians like HDFC, icici bank. We still call them indian banks ut they really aren't

Karthi

Country flag
You are member from 2020 only prat. I never said tonbo is an American company. I said majority of share are owned by foreigners effectively controlling decision making of that company. Tonbo is as Indian as private banks in Indians like HDFC, icici bank. We still call them indian banks ut they really aren't

The company is Indian , yes share holders are Americans you said , but you didn't gave any source , I m asking about the shareholders please provide details. Shareholders. Where did you get that info . I read somewhere that some Netherland people have some connections with tonbo .

abhay rajput

Country flag
The company is Indian , yes share holders are Americans you said , but you didn't gave any source , I m asking about the shareholders please provide details. Shareholders. Where did you get that info . I read somewhere that some Netherland people have some connections with tonbo .
Someone told me that last year. I remember this topic was discussed last year back too. No almost all of them are Americans. Infact there teams effectively worked with Darpa on imaging **** stuff. That's why they sell most of there stuff to USA special forces. There stuff is pretty decent but the army have problems with them . Don't know why

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles