Indian nuclear submarines

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
What nuclear sub we have built?
We have built INS Arihant (S-2), INS Arighat (S-3) and also S4 submarine. S4* is next submarine after S-4 and it is currently under construction. So we have built 3 complete nuclear Submarines. (S-4* I am not sure).

Super Flanker

Country flag
Most likely will look like the Project 971 Akula class
I heard that the design of Project 75 SSNs will be based on Arihant class but this is unlikely from my POV. Akula type design is also unlikely, most probably we will be talking inspiration from USN's Seawolf-class and Virginia class SSNs.

Project 75 Alpha SSNs are Confirmed to have Pump-jet Propulsion, so Definitely from my POV, These SSNs will have a more western design.

Super Flanker

Country flag
SSBN is the design. We are looking for assistance in SSN category. So we should stop saying that while we could develop nuclear subs, why can't we develop conventional subs?
Watch this video from 1:10. All your questions will be answered in detail. (Video by Alpha Defence Hindi)

Super Flanker

Country flag
:confused1:
I think you tagged the wrong person.
SSBN is the design. We are looking for assistance in SSN category. So we should stop saying that while we could develop nuclear subs, why can't we develop conventional subs?
why can't we develop conventional subs?
No I have not tagged the wrong person, you had yourself asked here the question "while we could develop nuclear subs, why can't we develop conventional subs?".

And for this I sent you link of Alpha Defence's video.

Chinmoy

Country flag
No I have not tagged the wrong person, you had yourself asked here the question "while we could develop nuclear subs, why can't we develop conventional subs?".

And for this I sent you link of Alpha Defence's video.
That's why I told you, you tagged the wrong person. Go thru last few posts again.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
So what design can be expected from our indigenous SSNs ? More like akula ?

Super Flanker

Country flag
That's why I told you, you tagged the wrong person. Go thru last few posts again.
Sorry I think so that I may have misinterpreted what you said. Sorry for tagging. I thought that you had asked a question with regards to SSN.

Super Flanker

Country flag
So what design can be expected from our indigenous SSNs ? More like akula ?
I know one thing about P-75A SSNs which is that they will be having Pump-jet Propulsion in them. If we were to base our submarine design over Project 971 Akula than I don't know how they will Integrate a Pump-jet.

From my point of view, we should be Studying Western designs of SSNs like Seawolf-class and Virginia class and taking inspiration from them for P-75A design. Russian design? Highly unlikely.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
So, you admit: it is not India design, right?
Yeah when the directorate of naval design went to the russian embassy they passed to them blueprints of russian nuclear submarines and told them to invite the russian ambassador on the launching of the vessel.and also added that dont be like the chinese who rips you by stealing others designs and then blabber on others designs

WolfPack86

Country flag
The Indian Navy aims to procure new nuclear-powered attack submarines (SSN) under Project 75 Alpha.[2] The Government of India approved the construction of six of such submarines in February 2015.[3] These will be designed by the Navy's in-house Directorate of Naval Design and built in India at the Shipbuilding Centre at Visakhapatnam. The construction is expected to commence on 2023-24 while the first submarine is expected to enter service in 2032.

Since India is a traditional user of Russian nuclear submarines (with INS Chakra on lease) the new domestically built submarines would be third class of SSN operated by Indian navy after leased Charlie I and Akula II-class submarines.[4][5]

Development[edit]
The program to construct and deploy a fleet of nuclear submarines was first envisaged in late 1990s. Patrolling by People's Liberation Army Navy ships further fast-tracked India's naval expansion programs. As per the initial plan, first 4 Arihant class submarines and later much larger S5 class nuclear ballistic missile submarines, and 6 nuclear attack submarines were planned.[6]

The submarines will be powered by a miniature pressurised water reactor (PWR) being developed by the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre which has already supplied a similar 83 MW miniature reactor for the Arihant-class submarine SSBNs.[4]

On 24 June 2019, it was reported that ₹100 crore (US$13 million) have been allocated for the initial phase of the project. The submarines will be designed by Directorate of Naval Design and the development is expected to continue till 2025. Mishra Dhatu Nigam is developing a new hull material that is expected to allow the submarine to dive to deeper depths than Arihant class. A scaled down model of the submarine is planned to be tested first. The total cost of the project is estimated to be around 1 lakh crore (US$13 billion).[7]

In February 2020, The Economic Times reported that the preliminary design phase of the programme has been successfully completed. The report stated that Submarine Design Group of the Directorate of Naval Design, assisted by the DRDO, will now start working on the detailed design and construction phase of the programme.[1]

The Indian Navy has prioritized the construction of Project 75 Alpha submarines over the third aircraft carrier.[8]

Initially three submarines are planned to undergo construction in 2023-24 while the remaining three will get clearance later. The first boat is expected to enter service in 2032.[9] The ship class will have a final design clearance in Gurugram by Submarine Design Group, its nuclear reactor will be built in Kalpakkam, hull fabrication will take place in Hazira and finally assembly and sea trials will be undertaken at the ship-building centre (SBC) in Visakhapatnam.[10]

See also
General characteristics
NameProject 75 Alpha
BuildersNavy Shipbuilding Centre, Visakhapatnam
Operators
Indian Navy (Planned)
Cost₹1.2 lakh crore (US$16 billion) total cost[1]
In commission2030s
Planned6
Active0
TypeNuclear powered attack submarine (SSN)
Propulsion1 x CLWR-B2 Compact Light-water reactor 190 MW (250,000 hp)
RangeUnlimited except by food supplies
ArmamentVarunastra heavyweight torpedo, Nirbhay, BrahMos and BrahMos-II land-attack/anti-ship cruise missiles

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Nalamala forest ranges in andhra have Uranium reserves......YSR tried to mine but he died b4 he could

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles