Indian nuclear submarines

neo29

arihant class is nuclear ballistic missle submarine? is india building a nuclear attack submarine ?

bhramos

Country flag
INS ARIHANT -PROJECTED COMMISSIONING SCHEDULE -SHANKAROSKY

-4 WEEKS - in water -elctrical and process connection check -reactor start up
-4-6 weeks - reactor system check for leakage ,control rod movement -instrumentation calibration etc
6-10 weeks - night time shallow water run inside Indian territorial waters low speed at 25% reactor power

10-20 weeks - rectification of leakages,loose connections,coolant pump clean up ,instrument calibration ,external sensor calibration
20-36 week - long duration shallow depth run say 50 meters
36-46 week - check up -instrument calibration - feed back analysis ,rectification /replacement of components found defective
46-52 week - extended shallow water run lasting 3 weeks or more
- 52-60 weeks - total check including condition of hull by ultrasonic radiography ,life supprt system like oxygen generator and desalination plant
60 -62 - medium depth submergence in steps of 50 meter of so till normal operating depth of 300 meter
62-66 weeks - check of all external pressure bearing components
66-70 weeks - deep submergence trial in stages of 50-100 meters think in 50 meters increment to nver exceed depth with in stage inspection like that done in 52-60 weeks
70-80 week - reactor to full power in shallow water and then slowly to maximum depth
80-90 weeks - Caliban of sonars ,testing of sonar decoys and torpedo decoys
90 week-98 week wespon trial - 525 mm torpedo -air defense weapons
100 week - test laucnh of agni 3 SL some where near orissa coast to nicobar islands in singles and then one with full salvo laucnh

feed back analysis -rectification one more round of test and induction to indian navt some where in 2011 end

Launch or INS CHITRA (SECOND ARIHANT CLASS ) -2012
LAUCNH OF 3rd ARIHANT - 2014)

credit Shanker@BR

bhramos

Country flag
I have doubt in case of a war, can we use INS Chakra or Nerpa against the enemy country in limited way for defensive or fully offensive?

BunBunCake

I have doubt in case of a war, can we use INS Chakra or Nerpa against the enemy country in limited way for defensive or fully offensive?
There was no agreement to limit the use of this submarine. We can do what ever we want with it for 10 years. Russia doesn't put these limitations on us like USA.
(but remember Russia did not give us any missiles on the Nerpa with more than 300 KM range (missile technology control regime)

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
well take this with a pinch of salt (Check the author :)):

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_submarine-crunch-hits-navy_1403123

Chief of naval staff admiral Nirmal Verma had said last year that Arihant would be inducted into service two years after its launch.

But the submarine's reactor is yet to be started
. Nerpa was supposed to join the navy as INS Chakra in June 2010, but will now join only towards the end of this year. The delay is affecting the training for Arihant.

firepower

Is India planning to have 6 SSBNs? 3 arihant class and 3 larger ones and do you think the later subs will be the size of the british Vanguard class subs and how many missile tubes do you reckon they will have?With the arihant having 4 tubes for the upcoming Agni-3SL, I think the larger SSBNS will have 12-18 missile tubes!!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Is India planning to have 6 SSBNs? 3 arihant class and 3 larger ones and do you think the later subs will be the size of the british Vanguard class subs and how many missile tubes do you reckon they will have?With the arihant having 4 tubes for the upcoming Agni-3SL, I think the larger SSBNS will have 12-18 missile tubes!!
Quite true. Future subs (nuclear/conventional) will have larger armament to hold missiles like K-X, K-15, Brahmos(I/II). However, successful Desi SLBM tests are necessary before that. Maybe after ARIHANT induction we can see K-15 tests. That will actually conclude Indian Nuclear Triad to send chilling waves mainly across east. Follow on Arihants will be larger to carry Indian ICBMs ready to launch.

bhramos

Country flag
Quite true. Future subs (nuclear/conventional) will have larger armament to hold missiles like K-X, K-15, Brahmos(I/II). However, successful Desi SLBM tests are necessary before that. Maybe after ARIHANT induction we can see K-15 tests. That will actually conclude Indian Nuclear Triad to send chilling waves mainly across east. Follow on Arihants will be larger to carry Indian ICBMs ready to launch.
you are true about K-X and K-15 type of missiles.
but Brahmos I-II are or can also be fired from Torpedo tubes, because both of are not more then 300km range,
K-15/ Sagarika has atleast range of 800-1000km.......
K-X is Agni-II/III modification will have 200okm or above. this will be most propably in VLS version of the sub's,
may be at present Arihant will only have K-15 in VLS tubes.

firepower

According to bharat rakshak the Agni-3SL is set to have a range of 5200km which can be fired from the Indian ocean against China if necessary.Do you think India in the future will be developing an SLBM with a range of 9000km ( I'm not dreaming but that is what I speculated).I mean the longer the range the better palcement of SSBNs- India's second series of SSBNs will be way larger than the arihant class probably the same size as the british Vanguard class sub(SSBN).I think having a 5200km and 9000km SLBM will be an advantage for India as these weapons will make good strategic weapons against her enemies!!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
According to bharat rakshak the Agni-3SL is set to have a range of 5200km which can be fired from the Indian ocean against China if necessary.Do you think India in the future will be developing an SLBM with a range of 9000km ( I'm not dreaming but that is what I speculated).I mean the longer the range the better palcement of SSBNs- India's second series of SSBNs will be way larger than the arihant class probably the same size as the british Vanguard class sub(SSBN).I think having a 5200km and 9000km SLBM will be an advantage for India as these weapons will make good strategic weapons against her enemies!!
We will never know what exact range our longer range missiles will have. But I can say for sure that the successful test of 5500Km missile should be seen as the 8000Km-9000Km ranged missile. Warhead reduction is inversely proportional to the range of missile.

Our ICBMs will be developed to craft of SLBM versions of same in advance. Still first we need at least few good SLBM launches from desi Subs.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
you are true about K-X and K-15 type of missiles.
but Brahmos I-II are or can also be fired from Torpedo tubes, because both of are not more then 300km range,
K-15/ Sagarika has atleast range of 800-1000km.......
K-X is Agni-II/III modification will have 200okm or above. this will be most propably in VLS version of the sub's,
may be at present Arihant will only have K-15 in VLS tubes.
Yes, Brahmos I-II can be fired from torpedo tubes but you always know the importance of VLS versions of same. At present Arihant-I should be considered as TD but the actual size of sub is believed to be larger than what is declared. What missile config it has is still unknown. I am so waiting for K-15 tests after the Arihant-I's induction.

neo29

A 5000 to 6000 km SLBM's range missiles are more than enough for India. That is if China specific. Any launch from Bay of Bengal to Malaca straits can reach anywhere in China.

jbgt90

New here , my first post . Just wanted to ask if we are developing any nuclear attack subs . and if so when are they expected ?
also do we have the Tu22M backfire on lease ? as wiki says so but i cant find any mention of it on any Indian defense sites .

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
New here , my first post . Just wanted to ask if we are developing any nuclear attack subs . and if so when are they expected ?
also do we have the Tu22M backfire on lease ? as wiki says so but i cant find any mention of it on any Indian defense sites .
what you asking is our state secret.

Tu22M backfire may be may be not let others be guessing, BTW we paid tons of money for AC then again negotiated the contract, you may speculate where that money gone too.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
India building reactors for nuclear submarines | Defense | RIA Novosti

Work is in progress on India's nuclear steam reactors for its first nuclear powered submarine, Srikumar Banerjee, head of the country's Atomic Energy Commission, said.

Last year, India floated out its nuclear-powered submarine, the Arihant, to be powered by a light water reactor (LWR) using enriched uranium as fuel.

In an interview with The Hindu published on Monday, Banerjee said the "nuclear steam supply system" was 100% ready.

"We are only waiting for other systems to become operational so that we can start the commissioning activity of the reactor. I really do not know when the harbor trials will be done."

The Indian Navy needs three or four nuclear-powered submarines to be a viable force.

Enriched uranium for these submarines will come from the Rare Materials Plant at Ratnahalli, near Mysore, Banerjee said.

Rahul92

Wat about INS Vikrant which is buit by indian navy itself u can see its animated video just google it & get it
General characteristics
Class and type: Vikrant Class
Type: Aircraft Carrier
Displacement:

* CV-01 40,000 tonnes[1]
* CV-02 65,000 tonnes[1]

Length: 262 metres (860ft)
Beam: 60 metres (197ft)
Draught: 8.4 metres (28ft)
Propulsion: 4 General Electric LM2500+ gas turbines, driving four shafts.
Speed: 28 knots
Range: 7,500 nautical miles
Complement: 1,400 (incl air crew)
Armament: 4x Otobreda 76 mm and various point defence SAM and CIWS
Aircraft carried: 29 Mikoyan MiG-29K + HAL Tejas
+ 10 Ka-31 'Helix' or HAL Dhruv..=i+

anoop_mig25

Country flag
India building reactors for nuclear submarines | Defense | RIA Novosti

Work is in progress on India's nuclear steam reactors for its first nuclear powered submarine, Srikumar Banerjee, head of the country's Atomic Energy Commission, said.

Last year, India floated out its nuclear-powered submarine, the Arihant, to be powered by a light water reactor (LWR) using enriched uranium as fuel.

In an interview with The Hindu published on Monday, Banerjee said the "nuclear steam supply system" was 100% ready.

"We are only waiting for other systems to become operational so that we can start the commissioning activity of the reactor. I really do not know when the harbor trials will be done."

The Indian Navy needs three or four nuclear-powered submarines to be a viable force.

Enriched uranium for these submarines will come from the Rare Materials Plant at Ratnahalli, near Mysore, Banerjee said.
so what world was telling is right that arihant was without reactor. so how it is floating in water i mean what is powering it. when we are going to install nuclear stem reactors. whats time frame . is int future testing has to be carried out once nuclear reactor has been installed in it. what if
that nuclear reactor didn`t work properly

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
We will never know what exact range our longer range missiles will have. But I can say for sure that the successful test of 5500Km missile should be seen as the 8000Km-9000Km ranged missile. Warhead reduction is inversely proportional to the range of missile.

Our ICBMs will be developed to craft of SLBM versions of same in advance. Still first we need at least few good SLBM launches from desi Subs.
Buddy, I don't think we need SLBMs or even ICBMs beyond the range of 8,000 Km at all. That range would cover all of China from top to bottom as well as all radical countries from Pakistan to possibly Middle East (who knows the future? Middle East is bonhomie with Pakistan other than Israel). Making anything beyond that would antagonize Europeans and Americans and even Russians for no reason. Not that we've to be scared or anything but what's the point of making such an expensive weapon when we have no enemies in that part of the world? All our threats are just within our reach already and around us.

I think DRDO should cap the SLBM/ICBM program range limit at 8,000 Km... at least for now, while keeping further options open.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles