Indian nuclear submarines

Karthi

Country flag
All navy heads, quick question, isn't the humpback shape bad for acoustics?
This one has better agility , Submarine stealth is mainly depends upon the propeller , the design of propeller and its screws matters most . Submarine turn into inefficient if we try to add too many stealth , it's always a balancing of all these.

And the materials and sound suppression of equipments inside the sub . Cones and cylinders are the easiest for bending the sound waves .

Karthi

Country flag
1280px-INS_Arihant_at_sea_(cropped).jpg

From this picture I believe Arihant streamlined for a smooth flow thus reduces the turbulence of water and improves stealth. And if you look you can see the wrinkles in the hull that's also a stealth measure. The silo placed in the front section , which reduces the chances of Turbulent water flowing in to the propeller side thus avoid further increase in the noise .

Last edited:

Gessler

Country flag
All navy heads, quick question, isn't the humpback shape bad for acoustics?
Yes it is. Which is why most of the more modern SSBN designs have a far more streamlined missile compartment.

Ohio -

Vanguard -

The French Triomphant has the most discreet hump, completely integrated into hull -

Russians have almost largely mitigated the hump in their latest Borei class SSBN, a far cry from the old Delta-classes (from which S-5 derives a lot from) which had very distinctive humps -

Ofcourse streamlining the hump has to go hand-in-hand with technology of the missile concerned. If the missile is too big, you cannot create a streamlined compartment to store them, at least not without making the sub hull diameter a lot bigger (which will have adverse effects on weight and needed power).

Regarding the hydrodynamic model of S-5 shown (on which all these 3-D models are based), keep in mind that its likely only one of many such designs being tested. And it will undergo a lot of changes to design as they test & refine the model (which is the purpose of making hydrodynamic models).

But at the same time, don't be surprised if the S-5 SSBN turns out to be not too different to the Delta-IV class and the Chinese Type-094 (in terms of missile compartment shape & positioning) -

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Yes it is. Which is why most of the more modern SSBN designs have a far more streamlined missile compartment.

Ohio -

Vanguard -

The French Triomphant has the most discreet hump, completely integrated into hull -

Russians have almost largely mitigated the hump in their latest Borei class SSBN, a far cry from the old Delta-classes (from which S-5 derives a lot from) which had very distinctive humps -

Ofcourse streamlining the hump has to go hand-in-hand with technology of the missile concerned. If the missile is too big, you cannot create a streamlined compartment to store them, at least not without making the sub hull diameter a lot bigger (which will have adverse effects on weight and needed power).

Regarding the hydrodynamic model of S-5 shown (on which all these 3-D models are based), keep in mind that its likely only one of many such designs being tested. And it will undergo a lot of changes to design as they test & refine the model (which is the purpose of making hydrodynamic models).

But at the same time, don't be surprised if the S-5 SSBN turns out to be not too different to the Delta-IV class and the Chinese Type-094 (in terms of missile compartment shape & positioning) -

If you take a look at the rendering of S5 class SSBN released by H I Sutton, the missile silo hump on the S5 looks more like that of the Borei class rather than the Delta class.

Gessler

Country flag
If you take a look at the rendering of S5 class SSBN released by H I Sutton, the missile silo hump on the S5 looks more like that of the Borei class rather than the Delta class.
Yes I've seen it (go to top of this page where I posted it), and no its nothing like Borei compartment, the hump (especially the fore section) is nowhere that cleanly integrated.

It's very much a Delta/Type 094-esque missile hump (more so the former, 094 incorporates some level of blending). It's hard to see from the side but the actual model on which the artwork is based makes it pretty abundantly clear -

Karthi

Country flag
15.jpg

USHUS-2 is an Integrated Submarine Sonar System which physically and functionally replaces the MGK-400 and MGK-519 Sonars on four EKM class of submarines. USHUS-2 is a state of art upgrade of NPOL designed sonar USHUS in terms of the technology and sonar capabilities. USHUS is operational onboard five of the nine frontline EKM submarines of Indian Navy. USHUS-2 is a world class sonar suite, tailored for the remaining four EKM class of submarines. USHUS-2 sonar suite includes Passive Sonar, Active Sonar, Intercept Sonar, Obstacle Avoidance Sonar and Underwater Telephony. The USHUS-2 Sonar Suite has been designed and developed by NPOL and productionised by M/s. Bharat Electronics. USHUS-2 is currently in installation phase in IN designated platforms.

panzerfeist1

Country flag
Very random question out of the blue. Does anyone know the most likely candidate nuclear submarine in India's Navy that can use the brahmos-2? Because at this rate it looks like india might be the 2nd country Naval forces in the world to use scramjet missiles.

panzerfeist1

Country flag
When the Zircon gets declared operational I have heard brahmos missile designs are about similar to Russian ones. I have heard of countries making aerial scramje projects. But the only Naval scramjet projects I have heard of are zircon and brahmos-2

BangaliBabu

Country flag
When the Zircon gets declared operational I have heard brahmos missile designs are about similar to Russian ones. I have heard of countries making aerial scramje projects. But the only Naval scramjet projects I have heard of are zircon and brahmos-2
let's see, too early and speculative

panzerfeist1

Country flag
But still a better chance of it happening. It would make the Indian navy a very serious threat with submarines that can get very close with low flying hypersonic nukes that if intercepted would still cause stronger EMP effects than project starfish prime on Hawaii. Having a hard time quoting you with my phone.

no smoking

Country flag
That depends the negotiation between India and Russia.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles