Indian Navy Issues RFI For Carrier Fighters

WolfPack86

Country flag
Reporting from Paris. Where, to be honest, the Rafale controversy back home is not the hottest topic in town.

WolfPack86

Country flag
'Several rounds of talks with Indian Navy on Rafale offer for a requirement of 57 jets, not impacted by political controversy over the 36 fighters deal' - reporting from Paris.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
India should opt for Mig-29Ks and use this tender to negotiate for TOT for license prodycprod. Also, the next carrier need to be of similar design to our firsy indegeneous one.
We do not have unlimited defense budget and our defense priorities should not be dictated by import lobbysts.
We have already paid for the development of Mig29Ks. If there are defects to be rectified, that should be done.
EMALs is not yet mature technology and already has problems. Our next aircraft carrier should be built on mature technology.
A dogfight ensues about the flag you have and the carrier being included, look I agree but the clippings in the media about the wrongs of Mikoyan with the MiG-29K will only slow the most intelligent decision. As we see with Boeing and H A L being visioned about a joint venture, the best choice here is based on commonality. For training and type you are absolutely correct, it is my first choice. Should I hope for the best? none of the choices make Tejas first and only. About the 2nd carrier too you choose well, I really hope they do make another apart from spooking another class. MiG 29k is my choice with Boeing and H A L getting the next series of aircraft carriers.

WolfPack86

Country flag
France offers Rafale's naval version for Indian Navy

Even as controversy rages in India over the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets for the Air Force through an inter-governmental agreement, a French Admiral has made a pitch for the naval variant of the fighter to the Indian Navy.

The Indian Navy is on the look out for 57 carrier-borne multi-role fighter jets and a request for information was sent out last year for the same. It is expected to come out with an RFP (request for proposal) very soon.

Rear Admiral Gilles Boidevezi, in charge of the French Navy’s international relations wing, said here ahead of the Euronaval exhibition next month that the French and Indian Navies shared a strategic and operational military partnership and it would be good to have a partner use the same platform as them (the French) as it would make interoperability easier. “And, Rafale M (the naval variant) is an adaptable aircraft that can be integrated with any carrier. Recently, it conducted operations on a much bigger aircraft carrier of the U.S. Navy,” he said.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TejasMRCA/photos/?ref=page_internal

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Rafale M was a convert from an Air force aircraft to Naval, I hope the conversion is at par with Navy only aircraft. During Vietnam the F-4 series phantoms had a lot of issues like no guns initially with gun pods firing not to combat requirements, heavy leaks initially, flight characteristics as shown and the rest. The tri service had lot of losses, therefore this choice has to fit perfect; thats why a fleet of MiG-29K or the F-18SH is what I feel should be ordered. The Rafale is going be used by the Air force, whats the point in getting confused??

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Rafale M was a convert from an Air force aircraft to Naval, I hope the conversion is at par with Navy only aircraft. During Vietnam the F-4 series phantoms had a lot of issues like no guns initially with gun pods firing not to combat requirements, heavy leaks initially, flight characteristics as shown and the rest. The tri service had lot of losses, therefore this choice has to fit perfect; thats why a fleet of MiG-29K or the F-18SH is what I feel should be ordered. The Rafale is going be used by the Air force, whats the point in getting confused??
Rafale M was actually the first version in service and was designed from the outset to meet that and many other roles.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
I read a change for old naval aircraft initially tested for the Air force, I had the info about it substituting the Mirage series initially.

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian Navy Embarks on Quest for Fighters for Indigenous Carrier

As India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier (INS Vikrant, IAC-1) reaches its third and final phase of construction at the Kochi Shipyard in South India, with sea trials to start in mid-2020, Chief of Naval Staff Sunil Lanba confirmed to AIN that the design for the follow-on IAC-2 has been frozen. India currently has one aircraft carrier, the refurbished 44,000-tonne Soviet-era Kiev-class carrier INS Vikramaditya, which is equipped with RAC MiG MiG-29K fighters.

IAC-2 will take at least a decade to construct and will be a 65,000-tonne conventionally powered vessel in CATOBAR (catapult-assisted takeoff but arrested recovery) configuration. “This will give the navy an operational capability of two battle groups at a time. We have decided on the form and fit and costing details of IAC-2,” said Lanba.

The construction of the IAC-2 will take between seven and 10 years. “We see it starting within a three-year period,” noted Lanba, adding, “We are also hopeful for a new fighter produced in India [for the IAC-2]. This will move progressively from the LCA Navy to a twin-engine deck-based fighter.” He confirmed that this project is unrelated to the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) program.

Having earlier rejected the original LCA Navy version, the Navy is supporting the government’s naval Light Combat Aircraft Mk2 (LCA) program, for which two technology demonstrators have been produced. Based on the Indian air force LCA, the naval version of LCA Mk2 will require a higher thrust engine, an increased wing area, lighter landing gear and structure, and a tailhook. However, a Request for Proposal for 57 twin-engine naval fighters is to be issued by next year in which both the Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet and Dassault Rafale M could be considered. “The size of the carrier deck lift will be decided later on,” said Lanba.

Meanwhile, Lanba told AIN that India’s ministry of defense is working on how payments could be made to Russia on current, ongoing, and future contracts. This follows U.S. sanctions on Russian companies under CAATSA (Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act), which seeks to preclude countries from buying Russian weapons. This has led to apprehension within the military concerning the serviceability of Russian equipment and the supply of spares. Lanba commented, “There is no issue on supplies of spare parts from Russia at the moment…the MiG-29K fleet has been performing well now.”
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamAMCA/photos/?ref=page_internal

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Considering the fact that IAF has already selected Rafale , going for anything other than Rafale-M will be foolish .
With countdown already begun to commission the indigenous aircraft carrier 1 as INS Vikrant in August 2022, the Indian Navy will conduct flight trials of Rafale-M fighter at Shore Based Test Facility at INS Hansa in Goa from January 6 onwards.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
With countdown already begun to commission the indigenous aircraft carrier 1 as INS Vikrant in August 2022, the Indian Navy will conduct flight trials of Rafale-M fighter at Shore Based Test Facility at INS Hansa in Goa from January 6 onwards.
Apparently that's happening now from INS Hansa base. 26 is a weirdly odd number putting it 18+8. Let's hope that they stop with that many Rafales and focus on TEDBFs. More importantly, I am praying that the tender goes to Rafale-Ms to reduce overall maintenance cost as it would be the same as IAF to a large extent in terms of spares.

IAF and IN hate each other so much that the chances of either of them agreeing with Pakistani opinion is more than agreeing with each other. Let's hope that Adm. Hari Kumar doesn't end up with Super Hornets. That would be a logistical nightmare.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles