Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

thebakofbakchod

Can someone explain this bakchodi to me? Why is GRSE outsourcing the construction of the ships to L&T, which it beat in the bid thanks to the L1 clause? Why not skip the middleman and directly give it to L&T? And look how clean the L&T shipyyard looks, compared to the Kolkata one of GRSE which resembles a slum

thebakofbakchod

BTW looks like GRSE's order pipeline is full for the next 5 years. Maybe its time to expand their shipyard with better mechanisation and more space.

johnj

the IN has never mentioned MMMA/C295, it has only ever been mentioned as a ICG product and the SQRs it is designed to came from the ICG
I agree but isn't it too complicated as an ICG aircraft just for the procurement of just 6 units? The Navy might be a silent partner in the project. Speculation of course.
MRMR planes
''The approval for procuring the advanced medium range maritime reconnaissance (MRMR) aircraft was granted by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) on Friday, Ministry officials said.
The nine MRMR planes will be in addition to the 12 American-origin P-8I long-range (LRMR) aircraft already being acquired by Navy at a USD 3.1 billion price tag. ''
And C295 is in the race.
1.5 decade ago IN asked for MMPA to replace il38, but UPA choose P8, and IN replace Tu142M. Once UPA selected C295 decade ago, IN starts considering C295 MMPA, Since nothing happening with C295 deal, Navy again asked for MRMR. Except range & endurance, C295 MMPA similar to P8. Compare C295 MRMRA with P3 & Il38. Now IN considering armed drones [air/sea/underwater attack & surveillance drones].
I'm unable to find any old links, but one from wiki.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Can someone explain this bakchodi to me? Why is GRSE outsourcing the construction of the ships to L&T, which it beat in the bid thanks to the L1 clause? Why not skip the middleman and directly give it to L&T? And look how clean the L&T shipyyard looks, compared to the Kolkata one of GRSE which resembles a slum
It’s a funny one no doubt but I’m glad they came up with approach and it’s a win-win for all parties. I wonder if L&T’s quote factored in certain capital that has already been amortised by GRSE?

i hope L&T can start dominating the shipbuilding industry soon like they do in most other sectors they compete in. Would be good to see them building frigates and destroyers as the lead integrator not contract manufacturing

abingdonboy

Country flag
MRMR planes
''The approval for procuring the advanced medium range maritime reconnaissance (MRMR) aircraft was granted by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) on Friday, Ministry officials said.
The nine MRMR planes will be in addition to the 12 American-origin P-8I long-range (LRMR) aircraft already being acquired by Navy at a USD 3.1 billion price tag. ''
And C295 is in the race.
1.5 decade ago IN asked for MMPA to replace il38, but UPA choose P8, and IN replace Tu142M. Once UPA selected C295 decade ago, IN starts considering C295 MMPA, Since nothing happening with C295 deal, Navy again asked for MRMR. Except range & endurance, C295 MMPA similar to P8. Compare C295 MRMRA with P3 & Il38. Now IN considering armed drones [air/sea/underwater attack & surveillance drones].
I'm unable to find any old links, but one from wiki.
The IN hasn’t mentioned MRMR for about a decade and has certainly not mentioned the MMMA recently.

obviously logically it makes sense for them to piggyback on the MMMA project but I’m just saying that as of now they aren’t

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
It’s a funny one no doubt but I’m glad they came up with approach and it’s a win-win for all parties. I wonder if L&T’s quote factored in certain capital that has already been amortised by GRSE?

i hope L&T can start dominating the shipbuilding industry soon like they do in most other sectors they compete in. Would be good to see them building frigates and destroyers as the lead integrator not contract manufacturing
They certainly can jump weight class, they have dealt with bigger things.

1669480088011.png

1669480130113.png

1669480213683.png

But I doubt they will be able to compete the prices of established shipyard.

johnj

The IN hasn’t mentioned MRMR for about a decade and has certainly not mentioned the MMMA recently.

obviously logically it makes sense for them to piggyback on the MMMA project but I’m just saying that as of now they aren’t
Yes, due to P8, and not signing the deal of tata airbus c295. Once the deal cleared/signed by NDA after 1.5 decade, DRDO etc showing C295 mmma/mrma/mmpa etc.
Even boeing showed demo of v22 aew to navy.[when IN showed interest in e2]
Now navy considering drones, may be consider C295 mpa in future with drdo AshM & next gen light torpedos.
Also IN never asked for P8 which is under development stage, no selection process, nothing, UPA brought P8 to make US happy[US pressure] with ISE.
IN requested MRMR aircraft, insisted of MRMR, UPA brought LRMR aircraft, since UPA selected C295 make in india, IN shown interest in C295 MPA, now NDA signed the deal, DRDO news etc showing C295 MMMA considering DRDO capability & IN requirements.
IN also having requirements of 24 minesweepers & 4 lpd & 1 hospital ship & 5 support ship, 10 helio aew etc.

thebakofbakchod

Porkistan navy gunboats. 20 of these are being built. More importantly, they have over 20 capital ships/subs (frigates, corvette and subs) in the pipeline. Thats a pretty substantial increase in strength. IN needs to stop daydreaming and give out contracts for NGMVs, corvettes and a follow-up order for P-17As. Many ships are reaching 30+ years of age and might need replacing soon.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Porkistan navy gunboats. 20 of these are being built. More importantly, they have over 20 capital ships/subs (frigates, corvette and subs) in the pipeline. Thats a pretty substantial increase in strength. IN needs to stop daydreaming and give out contracts for NGMVs, corvettes and a follow-up order for P-17As. Many ships are reaching 30+ years of age and might need replacing soon.
The IN is sleeping these days. As I point out regularly- after ~2027 they won’t be making any large capital ships (Talwars, P17As and P15Bs will all be handed over). Their next gen vessels like NGD and NGF are pipe dreams that won’t be sanctioned this decade. The 3rd carrier won’t even be finalised in the next 5 years

ordering 3-4 unit classes is always going to come back and but you. Even 7 17As should’ve been >10 from the outset. Builder’s navy my a$$. Just as inept as the IAF

jai jaganath

Country flag
The IN is sleeping these days. As I point out regularly- after ~2027 they won’t be making any large capital ships (Talwars, P17As and P15Bs will all be handed over). Their next gen vessels like NGD and NGF are pipe dreams that won’t be sanctioned this decade. The 3rd carrier won’t even be finalised in the next 5 years

ordering 3-4 unit classes is always going to come back and but you. Even 7 17As should’ve been >10 from the outset. Builder’s navy my a$$. Just as inept as the IAF
I think in few years IN will give repeat orders for p-17a as per interview given by mdl in some news site

blackleaf

Country flag

Those "gun boats" seem more like coast guard vessels. Still 20 is a large number.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

these are equivalent to coast guard fast patrol vessels and IN's Car Nicobar Class
1669578242967.png

1669579439887.png

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles