Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

abingdonboy

Country flag
IN currently operates 12 Boeing P8i aircrafts.

There were multiple news of follow on orders to the 12 originally purchased. Did any of them go through?

How many more P8i's are we likely to add to our existing fleet of 12?

Added later -

Guess none in the near future.

IN and Boeing said 22-30 minimum was the requirement. After this 12 the IN asked for another 10, DAC cleared 6 more and then apparently put the entire thing on the back burner

IN saw a considerable increase in CAPEX the last 2 years but I couldn’t tell you where it’s all going. Possibly they are putting a lot into a couple of their mega greenfield naval bases and other infra but their air arm is woefully neglected in the last 20 years.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
IN and Boeing said 22-30 minimum was the requirement. After this 12 the IN asked for another 10, DAC cleared 6 more and then apparently put the entire thing on the back burner

IN saw a considerable increase in CAPEX the last 2 years but I couldn’t tell you where it’s all going. Possibly they are putting a lot into a couple of their mega greenfield naval bases and other infra but their air arm is woefully neglected in the last 20 years.

https://idrw.org/making-of-the-c-295-mmma-for-the-indian-navy/

Jambudweepa

Country flag
More on today's delivery of Y 12705 Mormugao of Project 15B 1. Indigenous content approx 75% 2. Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missiles 3. BrahMos Surface-to-Surface Missiles 4. Indigenous Torpedo Tube Launchers 5. Anti-Submarine Rocket Launchers 6. 76mm Super Rapid Gun Mount .

12705 (Mormugao), the second ship of Project 15B stealth guided missile destroyers being built at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL): The ship is 163 metres long and 17 metres wide, displaces 7400 tonnes when fully loaded and has a maximum speed of 30 knots.

FiUk4RWUUAUZjDF.jpeg

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
I’m aware but IN hasn’t officially mentioned MMMA, it’s a ICG project. I do wonder when they’ll place the order for their C295 airframes though now the IAF has,
Take a look at the C295 MMMA, doesn't it look too sophisticated for a pollution/ coastal patrol aircraft? Indian Navy once again shows that they actually care about military modernization unlike these chaps who want moon and mars trials for every weapon system.

https://idrw.org/former-army-chief-...ents-backs-multiple-trials-of-artillery-guns/

Army not to induct BrahMos without further trials

After its failure last month, Army Chief Gen Deepak Kapoor has said his force would prefer further trials of BrahMos missile to be sure of the weapon's success.

https://indianexpress.com/article/i...not-to-induct-brahmos-without-further-trials/

bhramos

Country flag
kuch bhi phenk raha hai yeh
its whatever this guy is saying / 3
DOD rate of F/A-18F is $10,507 per hour or INR 8,58,133 as of today.
1669345310871.png

While it is difficult to get an exact figure for any fighter aircraft an estimate made by IHS Jane puts the cost per hour of flying the F 18 E/F at US$24,400 / hour.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Take a look at the C295 MMMA, doesn't it look too sophisticated for a pollution/ coastal patrol aircraft? Indian Navy once again shows that they actually care about military modernization unlike these chaps who want moon and mars trials for every weapon system.
the IN has never mentioned MMMA/C295, it has only ever been mentioned as a ICG product and the SQRs it is designed to came from the ICG

vampyrbladez

Country flag
the IN has never mentioned MMMA/C295, it has only ever been mentioned as a ICG product and the SQRs it is designed to came from the ICG
I agree but isn't it too complicated as an ICG aircraft just for the procurement of just 6 units? The Navy might be a silent partner in the project. Speculation of course.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles